Sketchbook: =[How do I shot web?]= - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 776 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Volchiha, welcome back For your apple, try working in your darker colors into the shadows for a more rounded sense of volume. Think purple, blue, and green. Remember to use complementary colors and think about the color of the light that's hitting your apple. Is it a yellow lamp? A cool flourescent lamp? Add in the color of the surface that the apple is sitting on and reflect that onto the lower areas of the apple. That color (ie the background color) should also be subtly added into the shadows. Keep up the good work! ^^

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Leo Ki is offline Trying to tame that growling stylus Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally! You're back with a ton of updates!
    Your life drawings are generally very lively. Those of the red and black minibook are sometimes hesitant but you'll get better fast.
    Parcours jump is great. More of those dynamic things please!
    More crits when you update

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo Ki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get on it V! I like the gas mask dude. ca.org always pulls you back in. muhahaha!

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wheezy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the warm welcomes guys! CA will always pull me right back in.

Zweit: Thank you, I've been trying to improve on my values lately, I'm trying to be more bold. I guess I just wanna take it one step at a time.

Kidult: With my 1 gig cap I will have to wait till next month before I can carry on with more intense browsing, but I will eventually get back to comicworx. Thanks for checking out my SB =)

Dierat: Thank you so much! I completely forgot about complimentary colours when I was working on the apple, I just sort of did the photoshop thing and picked out the closest. I will definitely keep it in mind for the next stuff I attempt to paint! Thank you for the advice.

Leo: Thanks, usually I feel like I'm being to messy but maybe it might be part of something I should utilise. I think I'll have a go at seeing how I can control my messiness more to turn my stuff into something that is more dynamic as you said. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll keep at it!

Wheezy: Thanks, and you are definitely right ^_^

Anyway, this update is just to show you guys a quick concept I was doing for a spread. The story and such was the main focus, but I had fun just painting the sky. And if you notice, the idea is supposed to be like rain, which is why I made some letters stand out to spell "After joy... sorrow".
    Hope you guys like it =)
    PS: I LOVE Garamond.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbooks to see:
    ~ Leo Ki ~ Zweit ~ Wilkerson ~ Wheezy ~

Sketchbook:Volchiha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey that's awesome. I really like the subtle color palette; it gives off a very eerie mood alongside the imagery. I love the scene and the combination of the gloomy, threatening clouds coupled with a hopeful yellow down by the girl. For a crit, the size ratio of the girl and tree is a bit confusing for me. It looks like either the girl's really big or the tree is really small. Keep posting!

Leo Ki is offline Trying to tame that growling stylus Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seconding dierat, I'd add that if you want the tree to be further away than the character you can give it less contrast (more grey than black).
    But I like the general idea and layout. Have you checked the printed result?
    I promised more crits about your recent stuff but my brains are a bit groggy, will do later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You most certainly did improve. After going through page one I felt that your faces wasn't on the same level as the rest of your work but it seems you've improved in that area since. Great improvement. Also, your shading improved.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    V- I showed a friend what you were doing with your short story and it inspired him to do some hand made booklets of his short stories. I really like what you are doing.

The Day-glo Pterodactyls

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, been slowly dying out but here's something I did for another uni project. I don't like the style it's in at all, but unfortunately with a short deadline there wasn't much I could do. I'm not very happy with it, but it's better than nothing, right?

Renier: Thanks for visiting again, it's been a while!
    Wheezy: I'm glad I could help a little.

Sketchbooks to see:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the wolf and the headphones. I think the style is very interesting but at times it seems a bit contradictory in that some areas feel very 3d and others feel very flat, like the lower section of the headphones feel 3-dimensional to me, but it looks like they're sitting on a piece of paper that is the girl's head. I think it would be really cool if you could push that so it's like the girl is a drawing and she's drawing a wolf but the wolf becomes real..? Okay maybe not, but the image is very interesting to think about stylistically. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dierat: Thanks for the input. The image itself isnt complete for me as I said, but the basic idea is that everything is supposed to be very stylised, but the wolf is supposed to be more real. So even though it's sort of like a self portrait, I feel who I am physically is less real than the persona I have - being symbolised by the wolf (volchiha means wolf in russian btw.) so therefore I create my own reality..

Anyway, here's a practice speedpaint I made using a photo reference of victoria falls. I figured I have not done any environment stuff before, and needed to try it out. =)

Sketchbooks to see:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting "wolfselfportrait".
    If you desaturate the human half it could help convey the feeling you aim for: making the wolf the real portrait.
    SSG nudge: Updaaaaaaaaaaaaaates?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Totally forgot about the last update. Good work on the landscape, very pretty. Is it South America? The girl's hand is somewhat disconcerting, but apart from that I have no complaints.

What's new anyhow? Are you still stranded without internet?

₪ "Yes, Gamera is powered by farts." -Roger Ebert ₪

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job with the last one. The sky is good but the pink clouds are too low. Also think about where the light is coming from, if its mostly cloudless there will be strong highlights on some of the trees. More saturated colors on the trees might be good too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to be back SSG. I admit I've been completely idiotic in my lack of updates, and a lot has happened since last I posted. Let's try make this new year an opportunity for us all to grow more than we ever have!

I wanted to try a line style drawing for once, so here's a quick portrait I did using a hand mirror I stole from my sister. This is about the closest resemblance I've gotten in a self portrait before. I'm hoping for more detailed ones it will improve ^^

PS: Have any of you guys ever had to endure living without power for 3 days? This last weekend, the whole system for paying in our electricity was down... was horrible! I couldn't even make tea :'(

Last edited by Volchiha; January 19th, 2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: image was too big.
    Sketchbooks to see:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eye-catching pose and expression! I think it would be even more striking if you didn't use any thin lines.
    The solid color technique you used is something I wish to train for fastness, but actually it takes a lot of practice to do it right.
    Maybe you could use a bit of light gray shadowing, not overdoing it though.
    Let the SSG rock again!

(Yes, I once was a week without power after a hurricane. It was all candles and hunting for sold out batteries)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo Ki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good expression. I can't tell if the hand needs to be larger or if the top of the hand is just coming towards the viewer and needs to be rendered more to define it. The neckless should be laying down more on the form imo. I also think the chin line should be more in line with the pinkie finger.

Over all it does tell the story of a shocked person at first impression past all the technical and anatomical issues. Good work. I will be updating my SB soon, I am scanning and resizing like a mad man.

Long live the SSG!

The Day-glo Pterodactyls

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    responding to your comment in my book: If you find it hard to work on something for more than a night, theres good news because you dont have to. I find there's a surprising amount that can get done in just 4 hours or less. A speedpainting can be as quick as 30min and you will learn something every time. It is a sketchbook after all so dont worry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome to see you have a CA sketchbook as well ... and such a good one to boot!

- BLOG - ------------------ - Sketchbook - ------------------ - deviantART -
    "It's nothing really, all in a days work for us bicycle repair men"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice drawings dude . i think you are good at drawing faces so try more.

On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 1