Sketchbook: =[How do I shot web?]= - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Leo Ki is offline Trying to tame that growling stylus Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sooo, how did the exams go? I'm glad you're back online.
    Your first mouth study is interestingly unusual. Is it a finger that lifts
    the lower lip? or is it the muscles seen while pouting?
    I'll hop in tonight to continue the general crit, especially on the digitals.
    Ah, and I attach the sketch of yours that I told I'd like to see painted:

EDIT: Your thread thumbnail doesn't show in the forum index, maybe
    there's something wrong with the image you put? Try fixing it, because
    people tend not to look at sketchbooks without a thumbnail.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Leo Ki; November 12th, 2008 at 04:36 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YO!
    You've got a nice SB started here! You've got some cool drawings going. I'm digging the werewolf. If I could make a suggestion, it'd be this: Focus on being more deliberate in your hatching. You have many nice drawings that are pulled down by the scribbly/sloppy quality of the hatching. It's always better to make separate, consecutive lines than to keep the pencil down and scribble back and forth. This is really in the same category as confident lines, in that to some degree it just has to happen over time as you draw more and more, but I think being aware of it gives you the leg-up. This image down here is much better than earlier ones in regard to what I'm talking about, so I know it's in you just waiting to pounce on the page!

Leo Ki is offline Trying to tame that growling stylus Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As promised, the late night crits on the digis.
    There's something fun in you SP, I can read the concentration of you
    looking into the mirror and wondering where to strike this and that stroke
    The eyes look misaligned -- but dozens of great masters of the past
    have made the same error in a number of master piece portraits, eh?
    However it is something to watch out in general purpose illustration.
    The orange looks a bit too smooth for an orange - it reminds me more of
    a persimmon - but you came up with a good gleam effect.
    Moar on your next update!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just dumping a couple of sketches from reference, trying to get myself out of the pen/pencil comfort zone so thought I'd try something a different. It's a lot harder to make the charcoal smooth without smudging. Gonna try some more later today. =)

Sketchbooks to see:
    ~ Leo Ki ~ Zweit ~ Wilkerson ~ Wheezy ~

Sketchbook:Volchiha

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice poses on the last lot! keep em coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bears! i love the baers!^^
    the above life drawings are very good. what i miss in some other drawings is this feeling of 3d,...maybe try drawing figures using only basic shapes. i know almost everybody talks about this, but i think this really helps, even if it perphaps, doesnt immediately show. anyway, keep on rockin!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Huh? I was sure I posted here! O o
    I wanted to tell you that I love the animals studies, and thank you for your words in my sb! ^^
    Keep on the good work!

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh my, a sketchbook update!

Like these last two drawings. When you're working with charcoal, don't be afraid to smudge it - just come back with your needed eraser and give back some crispness. Then get your charcoal and go over it again. rinse and repeat. To me charcoal always felt a lot more like painting than drawing.

Love the october 22nd updates - animalia particularly good. Try to translate the confident decisive lines you had there into what you're doing elsewhere - even with other mediums. Look how well stevekim is able to use the same type of lines in his oils.

would like to see you design your pictures some more - play around with composition, get something interesting going.

cya round lady

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wheezy: I generally use a mechanical pencil. But I admit that I do tend to press too hard, plus I get lazy and just wanna finish stuff faster. I must really get out of that habit...
    Leo: One more, but portfolios are over thankfully. Dont know how it went yet, we shall see...
    I'll get working on that one, but I just wanna get some stuff out of my head on paper first. Thanks for the paintover =)
    KingElivs: I'm looking into some of the anatomy threads - the shapes thing is a good idea, I guess I should probably try start with that first..
    Brendan: Thanks for dropping in! And also with the stroke thing. I feel very nervous about my messiness and for some reason I can't get rid of it - I could never do the whole rendering properly thing unless I force myself a lot and even then you can still see it. Maybe if I refine it I could add some sort of style to my work.
    Thanks again and I will heed the composition advice!

Bleh, I'm so used to the same thing I forget how long it takes me to sketch anything on a tablet. So here's me getting all adventurous and such trying a bit of colour still life. OH NOES!!!
    Cant remember the thread, but it was one of those for photoshop where you have to blend instead of smudge and preferrably stick to one brush. So yeah, one brush and no smudging - also, an actual BACKGROUND!!! (I know it's boring, I just dumped the skull by my lcd. Also lazy)

By the way, does anybody have any clue what animal that skull could belong to? A friend sprayed it silver and gave it to me as a present, and I could not figure out what it is since!

Sketchbooks to see:

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it very small? Looks like a rodent skull with those front teef. Good going on the colour. A nice thing I like to do is change my image to grayscale or just drop an fx layer with the saturation turned down to get a view of my values and helps to se where I went wrong or where i got it right! How was this skull lit? Looks kinda all over. Try a strong light source like a bed lamp or something, going to help to push the form much more. I wish I had a human skull (well a plastic one) to do studies from, maybe then I could learn better faces.
    Nice work not smudging! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The skull is slightly longer than the length of my fingers.. As for the lighting - I have that problem with still life stuff. I have limited desk space in front of the pc so no space for a lamp. =(
    The skull was lit by a ceiling lightbulb (really crappy) and my lcd monitor. the sun started rising by the time I was doing the background, so I think the background colours might be off there.

Sketchbooks to see:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A rather big rodent then. Maybe these pages can help:
    http://www.azdrybones.com/rodents.htm
    http://www.skullsunlimited.com/mount...cha-skull.html (and the list)
    It's true the lighting is a bit confusing, but it's a good speedpainting study.
    And the reflections underneath are the gentle touch to make it more real

I like your charcoals, especially the second one. There is something
    that feels slightly wrong with the black and white touches but I'm sorry
    I can't help further. More practice will bring you to the summits.

Edit: Great! You thumbnail now shows on the index page!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies V!

I think you can be more disciplined with your edges when painting digitally.

The charcoals are nice, why did you not finish the feet and hands? Great lines in those studies. You pulled off the form well with your rendering. I think the highlights could have been pulled back some, used more sparingly.

Awesome update!

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 778 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Volchiha, you're been posting some nice work recently it seems. I really like the 2 charcoal on pink paper drawings, particularly the one on the right. The confidence in the lines of her face really bring the img across to me. I would suggest that you try doing one or two larger drawings were you have more room to define value changes.

For the skull piece, great work; I think it's very well defined and very readable. A couple of suggestions: I think it could use some brown reflected color on the lower areas of the object, some of your edges could be smoother and less jarring (particularly the upper edge of the eye socket; you have a very sharp transition from white to black that leaves the area feeling flat), and I think it could do with a little dash of smoothing. Take an airbrush brush with low opacity and gently smooth out some of your medium tone areas to add a sense of unity and allow your areas of focus to pop more (not too much! Just a teeny bit is all it needs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,
    I'm really sorry about not commenting on your book yet, I thought I had.
    I like where this sketchbook is going. I think you have a good foundation just more experience is needed. The last study is pretty good in my opinion, your shading is getting tighter and proportions better. Keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the lack of updates... i'm actually itching but i've had a lot on my plate - I failed a module which will make me repeat an entire year at uni and my parents are threatening to pull me out halfway which i'm now battling.
    A whole lot of personal stuff is getting messy too, thanks to all the uni problems and whatnot which I must sort out aswell...
    On the bright side i'll be gone for a week from tomorrow, so i'll only be back round the 8th - hopefully with some updates =D

Heres a small concept I've been working on for a mini-comic for a forum. I partnered up with Kidult and my character shall be battling out his character with her generic satyrical emo powers such as gender confusion and moping! Raaah!

I apologise to my SSG for being so sporadic, and i promise detailed crits for everyone as soon as I get back. Thank you muchly guys! ^_^

Sketchbooks to see:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry to hear about that failed module. Whatever happens, don't give up art training. Let us know the news.
    Your emo heroin looks good, maybe make her face even more fakely bland. Where is the website?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hurm, I was sure I'd commented here recently. I must be imagining it.

Anywho, good figure studies! The skull too. I tried looking for the type of animal it belonged to, but couldn't find it either. The incisors say rodent but the eye sockets appear to face forward. Maybe a Chupicabra?

It's a bit odd though that you did those orthographics fully posed instead of something closer to a T-pose. This might make it hard for a second party to judge specific aspects of the design... proportions and what not.

₪ "Yes, Gamera is powered by farts." -Roger Ebert ₪

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ________________beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep_ _______ "...charging.....CLEAR!" beep beep beep....I have managed to revive your SB for now, please update to keep it alive.

This has been a friendly SSG partner reminder. We can't learn from our mistakes if we don't make them and discuss them.

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, wow I love the figures of post # 34 ! you should try more of em, I really like! and keep updating as much as possible!
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha. "Good on you", wheezy, as they say.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I AM BACK!!
    Finally, I have my internet back again, so now I can post, and more importantly - find valuable inspiration and motivation. Thanks to my SSG buddies - every now and then I'd get to check my messages to find you have not forgotten about me, and so, finally here's my update. =)

Some pencil sketches - hurray for life drawing! (PS: Excuse bad quality, I had to take the pics with a VERY shitty camera)

Sketchbooks to see:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This stuff is from what I call my "minibook". Basically, it's a little A6 journal I carry around, and the rule is that I can only draw what other people tell me to - no matter how random, and I have to do it right then using only a red and black pen. I like the idea because it forces me to just go with the flow and come up with weird concepts based on what people suggested =)

I guess some of it could be a little strange. O_o

Sketchbooks to see:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is some design and typography stuff I did for a project. The final thing was that we had to make a sort of poster for a band but the typography had to be 3D. The bands were given to us by the lecturer, but I happen to like DMST =)

I am pretty bad at making things by hand, though.

Sketchbooks to see:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is all just wacom practice. The two last images are part of a comic I did for a project - unfortunately I only had 3 nights for the whole thing, so it wasn't particularly original, but I am very happy I managed to do something that quickly with no reference. The full thing was 10 pages, and was a concept to fit with a story =)

Sketchbooks to see:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome. Knew you'd be back eventually. The life drawings are real nice, so is that "jump" sketch. Great values on the last update too.

₪ "Yes, Gamera is powered by farts." -Roger Ebert ₪

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Zweit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Zweit. I tried to start with a grayscale sketch first so I could get some values before I started adding colour. Looks a bit washed out to me though, so I'll try some other things.

In the meantime, it is currently 6am and I drew an apple. Now I am eating it as my reward. Yum =)

Sketchbooks to see:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up those studies I can already see lots of improvement in your linework definitely keep it coming!! Draw Draw Draw

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashrumm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you posting agian! You gonna hang round the comixworx site too?
    Good job on the apple!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome back to the internet. Nice apple and design work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1