Sketchbook: Joukes Caricatures
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Joukes Caricatures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Joukes Caricatures

Hello guys and girls

This is my first post here. I am a newby too digital painting and want to learn much about it and get better in it. Here is the peace I made. It's Rene Artois from Allo Allo which is a british comedy set in France.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by joukejan; January 4th, 2014 at 05:31 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great likeness! you could do with learning different tones in each colour like skin - it seems you use a darker colour for the shadows which just leaves it looking a bit flat. Not bad brushwork for a newbie either - just keep practiscing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love that show!! Good stuff man, pretty good painting you got there, eyes are a bit tho. Only thing i would suggest is to try painting some photos of people, so you can quickly learn tone colours like my friend mentioned above.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx guys. I see where you are getting to. I will do some more practising.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffeeliz View Post
    Great likeness! you could do with learning different tones in each colour like skin - it seems you use a darker colour for the shadows which just leaves it looking a bit flat. Not bad brushwork for a newbie either - just keep practiscing
    Quote Originally Posted by starf1sh View Post
    Love that show!! Good stuff man, pretty good painting you got there, eyes are a bit tho. Only thing i would suggest is to try painting some photos of people, so you can quickly learn tone colours like my friend mentioned above.
    I took the advice you guys gave to me. I started to block out in colors now, instead of just using a soft brush black color to make shadows.
    Here is the first update of it.

Last edited by joukejan; December 11th, 2013 at 08:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am really trying hard to find a right technique in making digital paintings, concept. I followed tutorials on this site like the apple/onion tutorial which really helped me. I am more of a 3d man but want to learn digital art so badly and am learning it fortunatly.

Here is a piece I made in about 2 days, give me a break This piece I will also make in 3d. Please give me advice and comments on anything you see.

Cheers

Last edited by joukejan; December 11th, 2013 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello all, it's been a long, long time I have posted something here. I have been busy practicing after I struggled getting things done, finishing things and ever since it seems fortune is on my side. So here is some work I would like to show.

I would like to know what you guys and girls think!?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello all! It's been a very long time I posted something here. I have been studying and practicing a lot more last year and am back to show you the progress that I made and am still making. I hope you all like it. Leave crits and comments of course

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol that caricatures are very cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you

Last edited by joukejan; December 11th, 2013 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a new one! Hope you like it.

Can somebody help me with explaining how to change the thumbnail of my sketchbook?

Last edited by joukejan; December 11th, 2013 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey your caricatures are really good, if you want to change the thumbnail of your sketchbook you need to upload an image using attachments which can be found under "go advanced" I think your using a site to upload your images and that's why your thumbnail is just a blank. Are you currently working as a professional caricaturist or are you still learning, because if your here to learn than you need to update this page way more than once a year Update way more often! Really nice works, love all of them.

-Dennis

Ma Sketchbook brings all the girls to the forums, damn right its worse than yours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hej Dennis, thanks for the great compliment, much appreciated

The reason why it has taken me about a year or so to come back and post the caricatures, that I made in the mean time, is because indeed I am still in a learning process. Each time I make a new caricature I see big changes with the one I made before that. Since the end of 2012 I started a small company, so I do commissions from time to time. It's not yet grown to something which can support me fully without having to do other work. But I worked very hard this last year to become much better in making caricatures and just drawing in general.

In the beginning I didn't feel like I was good enough to post caricatures that I made. Many people outside this industry are easily satisfied, and I didn't want to listen to much to the positive reactions from the family and friends. I wanted to feel good about it myself. Since a couple of weeks I feel comfortable enough with my current and some old caricatures that I decided to post it here to get crits and comments I am planning to post much more stuff now, because I think I am at a stage that it is good enough.

About the thumbnail, I tried what you said but it just chooses to apply my avatar or a blank image when I attach an image. Is there a specific post which I must use to attach the image to?

Thanks in advance

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by joukejan; December 11th, 2013 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edit: I got the thumbnail problem fixed. Seems like a loading problem. 100x100 pixels works great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello all! I am back with an update. I started a new caricature project. It is referring to the videoclip of Jessica Simpson of "these boots are made for walking". This is a first mockup of the sketch. Let me know what you think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, that is a lot of improvement in the last few years! Especially considering the june 2012 to now. Good job and keep it up! I really like the james bond one

A few things that you might want to improve upon is the head size. the massive size of the heads are WAY to distracting in some of the pieces. Not on all of them, just some. I guess it has to do with the way you are attaching the heads to the body. I would suggest doing more like the Bond/Sinatra/Mandala/Rocky/etc style. They look more visually appealing.

Either way, you are doing a good job, and I wish you all the best in your search for improvement. Merry Christmas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the compliments, always love to hear it

You are absolutely right about the heads. It's only been the last 4 caricatures or so that I was changing the proportions (head to body). You got a good point in there and I will in my next caricatures definitely do the proportions like the Nelson Mandela and Bond ones. Always good to get good crit like this, thanks
    So I will be changing the head/neck on Jessica's caricature because I am not satisfied with it.

Merry Christmas to you to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ye I was thinking the same with your last piece ( nice one btw ) Either Jessica Simpson's head has to be made smaller to be more logical in perspective, or the guy's head in front needs to be even bigger. Which I think you shouldn't do, because right now the heads are pretty big which, I think is not a bad thing because that's the place you want people to look, but the guys head in the back is quite small in comparison. If you resolve this "head" issue I think this will be a great piecce, nice work!

Ma Sketchbook brings all the girls to the forums, damn right its worse than yours.

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If the head is going to turn like that (Jessica), pull the shoulder back with it... try it yourself. If the head is turned around that far, the person would have a broken neck.

However, if you put her right shoulder almost right in the center of her back so she's turned sideways, the head could turn around that far.

Just a quick suggestion.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys I will definitely figure out those issues in the newer sketch, great points!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so I am back with an adjusted sketch! I am still tending to really overdo the size of the heads in relation to the body. Sometimes it can look funny and ok but I want the relationship between head and body more harmonious (if that is a word :p ) So here is the newer version.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello all,
    I started to color in the caricature sketch above, this is an early stage of the coloring.

I didn't do much because I had some commission work to do:

Also here in the town I live in we have for 6 days a charity event called "serious request". The basic concept is that 3 dj's go into a "house of glass" for 6 days and everybody here in the Netherlands are organizing sponsor actions/events to collect money for the red cross. I decided to make a caricature of these 3 dj's and to give it to them. They don't have it up the wall yet but maybe tomorrow they will. The subject of this serious request is called "let's clean this shit up".
    Here is the caricature I provided them with.

Let me know what you all think and if you have some crits or tips!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Hello, I got an update. The caricature for the house of glass is a success. They have it hanging over there!

I also made a new caricature, it's from a politician here in the Netherlands.

Would love to hear what you think, crits and comments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just testing some brushes I made.

and the pope one is done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finished a commission today, it's Freddie Mercury. Also I have a commission to make Phil Lynott which I will post when I get it finished.

Members who have read this thread: 37