Portrait crit needed (Sep 1 Update)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Portrait crit needed (Sep 1 Update)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portrait crit needed (Sep 1 Update)

Hey all, first post for me; joined up a while back, but as I draw exclusively for my own enjoyment Didn't find the need to post - just been watching and learning. A little about myself to start with: I'm 36 (37 in a matter of days) completely self taught (well except for high school art class) and as I already said deff. not a pro.
    I'm posting 'cus I finally want some crit/feedback. I'm currently doing a portrait of a friend (graphite - don't do paint. would like to just never learned) - He's a painter. I think I pretty much have it there is just something that isn't sitting right with me about this. I still have work to do on the eyes, and I'm not to happy with the nose either. What do you all see? as well as what's not working I'd like suggestions as to why and possibly some ideas to fix it. (I know I'm asking a lot). Is there sufficient tonal range? did I screw up by using blk. conte for the hair?

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Chas; September 1st, 2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: update
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's the hair. The rest fine, the likeness is very good and you handled the tones well. but the grain of the conté flattens things. You could think about smearing it out a little to get rid of that grain.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Self-taught or not, this is great work. Personally I believe this drawing lacks subtlety is the gradations. I don't know if I would attempt any smearing. I would first try using a greater range of pencils. Try some H and HB pencils to compliment the 2B, 4B and 6Bs.

Overall I think you should continue to darken the tones. Try squinting at the photo and then at your drawing. You'll find that the tones of his neck seem almost as dark as his hair (when squinting). But when squinting at the drawing you'll see the neck is quite a bit lighter than the hair. Does that make sense? And I think that overall you'll find that the tones of your drawing are lighter than they should be.

Still, it is a very good drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the comments. I'm off to work right now, but when I get home I'll put your advice to work (from both of you). The squinting trick is really good I've heard about it before but forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Although it's probably too late for this drawing, following the shape of the form with your mark making would help a great deal to describe the form. Especially in areas where there is subtle tonal variation (Jacket, T-shirt).

Also below the mouth, sides of the nose and below the eyebrows all need to be darker. This will help pop features out like the nose and brow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    following the shape of the form with your mark making
    That is a technique I have only recently come across (like in the last two years or so) and I have thus far been hesitant to try it out. What grade of pencil would you suggest using for that I wouldn't want to go to light (I.E. 2h) for fear of creating scratches on the drawing surface. are there any tutorials or how-tos around for this technique? I think I'd like to try it out. Anyway it's off to work
    on this one now. Be back soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know of any tutorials on this. If anyone does could you please post them.
    I have just taught myself through looking at other peoples sketchbooks. Here is a link to a couple of posts which opened my eyes up to it:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...3&postcount=15
    The sketches are by DanielC he's got a great sketching technique

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=139
    This one's by Skureal, another great.

If you want more examples look through these guys sketchbooks. Follow links to other people's sketchbooks as well. Check out the sketchbook forum.

As for pencils I just use either a 2b or HB. Probably should use more but it's good to limit yourself so you don't over complicate things for yourself.

Hope I helped

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope I helped
    did you ever! Wow I am so far away from being able to do that. Guess I better get my but in gear!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O.K. deff. improvement I think. Thanks for the advice folks. So I think I'm just about done with the face just got to try and do something with the hair and clean up the jacket. Anybody see anything I'm missing? or have any suggestions for the hair and/or jacket?

P.S. I'm really sorry but I guess this has become more of a W.I.P. now so I probably shouldn't have posted it here. Could one of the Mods move it to the appropriate location? or should I start a sketchbook and put these in there? Help!

Last edited by Chas; August 30th, 2008 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Almost there I think. Anyone see anything in the tonal range, facial features etc. that needs work/ improvement? One of the areas I need to really work on is knowing when a piece is done and I should STOP working it. My plans are to finish working up the torso and then call it finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I'm calling this one finished. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Chas; December 30th, 2008 at 02:15 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.