Dwarf Cleric guy -C&C? -updated

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Dwarf Cleric guy -C&C? -updated

This is a commission for a D&D gamer. I do a bunch of RP and MMORPG character portraits, but I've been doing them in a kind of junky cartoon/comic style, and I want to get away from that. This is WIP for the first more painted one I'm trying. All the colors and some light and shadow are in, but no detail or definition as yet. I'd love any C&C you have at this point. I'm really new to the digital painting (rather than just coloring) arena, this will be the first finished (non-speedpaint) one I've done.

I may not change the pose but if you see something funky I would love to know so I can keep it in mind for next time. Any crits about color choices, texture, anything I could be doing better lay it on me!.

Last edited by Jane Radstrom; November 6th, 2003 at 06:17 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    well, since it's still being worked, I can't really crit the lighting, but there's nothing about his design to suggest that he's a cleric. He looks like a normal warrior to me. Maybe lighten his armor up, I think a cleric would want to be able to move quickly (as quickly as dwarves may) especially in battle. The shield would probably only hinder him. Perhaps give him a medicinal pouch and a white band, or white robes or something along the clerical lines. Hope that all makes sense. Peace

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Aren't clerics supposed to dislike violence?
    Anyway, apart from that, that dwarf's lookin cute ^_^ Keep postin updates!

Thanks

C&C

personally, i think it looks too much like the dwarf from the LOTR movies. Just personal opinion, but you might want to consider it.

*imzadione*

Thanks
    Since it's a commission I'm sure there were pretty specific directions as to his gear (in regards to the shield, armor, hammer, etc...) Personally I think it's coming along fine.

My only real problem with it right now is that his pose is kind of stiff...not a lot of action in it. I get this impression mainly from the way his legs are positioned, as if he's just sort of standing there, awkwardly. It's a bit late in the game to change it now, but a crouched action pose might have been a better choice.

I do like the sort of "what're you talkin' about, elf?" look he's got going on his face. One more smart alek remark and someone's gonna get clobbered.

*edit*
    Oh, and one more thing. I think the spike on his helmet is a bit askew, perspective wise.

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments guys! I agree that he doesn't look much like a cleric. The guy told me almost exactly what kind of armor he should have, though. (Big metal sheild, stone hammer, mithril breastplate, metal helm, etc). As I define it there will be some D&D clerical symbols on stuff (lol, made a trip to the bookstore to find out about 'em) so at least other RPers can hopefully tell what class he is. As for the violence thing - he wanted to look threatening. *shrug*! Maybe he roleplays as a warrior cleric or something. :p

Doing commissions like this I'm fairly limited - someone else already came up with the character, I'm just putting everything down and adding some little extras and embelishments. But I really enjoy the practice and getting paid to do it.

I'll keep updating. Thanks for your comments and keep 'em comin! I'd love some especially about the technique side of things as I get it more refined.

Thanks
    I worked on it for an hour and a half more or so, and I think it's just about done! So much faster than the old way.

So, please lay the C/C on me!

Thanks
    I really like the colours and tones used in this, the metallic areas look great!! Heh heh he's got a mean sly look in his eyes as well...

Thanks
    Heya Velo, I love your dwarf, doesn't scream cleric but I understand that wasn't your call. A bit of C/C if I may, below is a markup, hope thats ok?

My only critique is that the overall piece is too flat. You established a nice light source but didn't capitalize on it. The face needed the most work so I added highlights to help give it dimension. You can also see that I added stronger highlights to the metallic items like the shield, helm, buckle and hammer.

Using the same lightsource I figured at the position he's standing a shadow would cast over his right shoulder so I darkened it up a bit. I still think some places could go darker but I'll leave that up to you.

Anyways I hope this helps, you're very talented. I wanna see more!

Last edited by DigitaL FusioN; November 7th, 2003 at 04:38 PM.
    -DigitaL FusioN

Thanks
    Digital Fusion - wow! I don't mind the paint over at all, thanks very much for taking the time to show me. I can completely see how those little spots of light and the added blue shadows/reflected light really make it pop. I'm going to go and do some of that right now.

Thanks
    Update again, anything else you guys see?

Thanks
    Bravo, excellent piece Velo! Really superb work. Can't wait to see more work like this from you, well done.

-DigitaL FusioN

Thanks
    Great updates! That dawrf is definitely gettin better
    The only thing I don't like is the lineart. Try to eliminate it altogether, make it blend in with the colors, if u know what i mean.

Thanks
    Someone who plays DnD could definatly tell its a cleric. Just thought I would mention in case you were questinoning his clericiness

Its great though so no crits from me.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.