Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: I got absolutely no idea

Thanks

I got absolutely no idea

Hi everybody, I'm new to CA, it's actually my first post here, well I have been doodling form time to time with long breaks, last one lasted 2 years and ended around July because I finally deicide to get serious, I guess, and for the past two months I'm trying to push it. I'm overwhelmed with the number of extremely talented people here, it makes me feel so small but I'm open for crits, comments (justy keep it constructive) and especailly advice. Currently, I'm working with Loomis and book on anatomy, but enough talking....

P.S. Most of the faces were drawn without any reference, but I know got work with reference a lot although I catch my self copying instead of drawing which is not good....

P.S2 you'll have to excuse me the quality of the images because I bought my scanner today and I'm still experimenting with it

Cheers
    Last edited by R&F; September 11th, 2008 at 11:31 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Wellcome!

Hi there Radek!
    Glad you finally started a digi sketchbook. And it's real nice to see another dood from Poland here on CA What you uploaded so far is a really good start and i'm sure you'll improve your skills even more with the help and advice of other CA.org members!

As to the piscs: i like the anatomy studies the most. Always admired them, i find it hard to learn it myslef heheh but i believe that good grip of anatomy is basis for everything else (except enviros lol). Loomis is indeed a great source of knowladge on the subject. I notice that aside from the strictly "mechanical", anatomical foundations you learned from Loomis, you also use fluid lines to represent the surface geometry, especially when drawing organic forms (portraits, entire characters, animals) - i like that very much. As an advice i'd suggest to work some more on the line weight, i think it'll help adding impression of depth to your images.

Good to see you here. Be patient, keep urself motivated and motivate others with your works Improvement is awaiting.

cheerz,
    inkR
    "There are two kinds of people in this world: artillerymen and targets."
    Sketchbook full of INK

Thanks
    copying is totally fine. in fact, you can learn a lot by just copying. i'd say its one of the first steps to help an up and coming artist such as yourself. another way, an even better way, would be to draw from life. just grab your sketchbook and make speed sketches of other people walking down the street, playing in the park, sitting on the bus, ya know, shit like that.

remember, just keep doing what you are now: practicing!
    Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks

Dropping bombs

Hello there first of all thanks for comments

Peetaer: thanks for dropping by, as to the copying I meant the wrong kind of it that is without understending, that kind is I think worthless

inkR: you better be glad because it's all your fault I'm here so you take full responsibility for it ;P

Ok now for some update it basically some studies from Loomis on the things I'm currently struggling with (proportions, gesture and a bit of perspective) and some of my own stuff, so here it goes:

P.S. sorry for such a huge update, hopefully in the future they will be a bit smaller, open for crits and comments as usual
    "iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Yeah, fresh meat! Loomis sketches rock, his construction methods are pretty easy to grasp and indeed they shall help a lot further down the way. Excercises on perspective are looking very good. Just remember to keep the horizon line straight, otherwise no objections. The last couple of pics - you know my comments on the futuristic battle armor babe. The Aquarius drawing is teh shite! I like the dynamic pose here. The anatomy looks really nice - if i'm to be any judge on that Maybe try to keep the linework a little bit cleaner. Overall the last one is my fave. Good update, waiting for more.... wish i had as much motivation as Ya

peace,
    inkR
    Sketchbook full of INK

Thanks

more stuff

Thanks for the comment mate, anyways here is some more stuff, doodles and last two are some works in progress, well as always I appreciate some opinions
    "iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 753 Posts
    Hey. Thanks for posting in my sketchbook. You got some good studies and reach character designs here.

I'll try to be constructive.

One basic mistake I see in your characters is giving all parts of your character the same level of contrast which makes it flat. It also can be a bit confusing beacause the viewer doesn't know what to focus on first when looking at picture. The only exception for this is this partially finished cowboy sketch - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1220120719. You gave his upper part of the body darker lines while the rest is more light and loose. Therefore you got focal point there and the whole picture reads better than rest of your characters. Keep going in that direction. I would recommend looking at different paintings of old masters like Rembrandt and analyse why some parts attract eye more than others. It's basics you need to make strong illustration.

Good job so far. Keep posting.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

R&F

Thanks

next dump

hello there it's time for next dump , this time my excursions into the animal realm, most of them are from reference.

Farvus: Thanks for comments ,much appreciated, I think I know what you mean, well I never thought about it but I'll try to watch that.
    "iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks

eh...

Couple of things to keep this sketchbook moving ( lately I'm not happy with the things I draw) so some gesture studies (mostly failed) some lion doodles...( from reference), and two concepts that are waiting for better times
    Last edited by R&F; September 1st, 2008 at 01:28 PM.
    "iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Yo mate! Those pose/gesture quickiez are not that bad actually. I think the proportions are good, do more of these and i'm sure it'll pay off. Just keep pushing it. A sidenote: the images are slightly too bright, maybe try to edit them in some 2d app and tweak the contrast up a bit, it definitely should help. Those lions look very good, i really like the soft/sketchy lines in the second pic! The concepts have some nice shading, you pinned down a great pose drawing that "werewolf" (?) on the far right, i like this one. Nice update, keep it up bro!

cheerz,
    inkR
    Sketchbook full of INK

Thanks
    whoa - you seem to have a great daily output! you're really busy! lots of basic studies, you're on the right track.

Thanks
    cool new posts man. keep them coming. i dig the lion posts.
    Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks
    Hey dude! I just wanted to say that your daily output is really good, and it's nice to see someone who is determined about drawing and pushing those limits no matter what. Something i could learn from you . Not much to crit, ur definitely on the right track there, I'm trying to study from Loomis too, and from the 400 pdf drawing books i gathered there's nothing better and more concise then Loomis. Your anatomy studies are coming up real nicely. Love the horsies. Keep up the good work, greetz from your neighbor

P.S. : Really diggin your middle werewolf drawing. You have a nice pose there, dynamic and somewhat frightening. Really gives the impression that it's ready to jump at your jugular.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast