Sketchbook: I got absolutely no idea

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I got absolutely no idea

Hi everybody, I'm new to CA, it's actually my first post here, well I have been doodling form time to time with long breaks, last one lasted 2 years and ended around July because I finally deicide to get serious, I guess, and for the past two months I'm trying to push it. I'm overwhelmed with the number of extremely talented people here, it makes me feel so small but I'm open for crits, comments (justy keep it constructive) and especailly advice. Currently, I'm working with Loomis and book on anatomy, but enough talking....

P.S. Most of the faces were drawn without any reference, but I know got work with reference a lot although I catch my self copying instead of drawing which is not good....

P.S2 you'll have to excuse me the quality of the images because I bought my scanner today and I'm still experimenting with it

Cheers

Attached Images Attached Images                                        
    Last edited by R&F; September 11th, 2008 at 12:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wellcome!

Hi there Radek!
    Glad you finally started a digi sketchbook. And it's real nice to see another dood from Poland here on CA What you uploaded so far is a really good start and i'm sure you'll improve your skills even more with the help and advice of other CA.org members!

As to the piscs: i like the anatomy studies the most. Always admired them, i find it hard to learn it myslef heheh but i believe that good grip of anatomy is basis for everything else (except enviros lol). Loomis is indeed a great source of knowladge on the subject. I notice that aside from the strictly "mechanical", anatomical foundations you learned from Loomis, you also use fluid lines to represent the surface geometry, especially when drawing organic forms (portraits, entire characters, animals) - i like that very much. As an advice i'd suggest to work some more on the line weight, i think it'll help adding impression of depth to your images.

Good to see you here. Be patient, keep urself motivated and motivate others with your works Improvement is awaiting.

cheerz,
    inkR

"There are two kinds of people in this world: artillerymen and targets."
    Sketchbook full of INK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    copying is totally fine. in fact, you can learn a lot by just copying. i'd say its one of the first steps to help an up and coming artist such as yourself. another way, an even better way, would be to draw from life. just grab your sketchbook and make speed sketches of other people walking down the street, playing in the park, sitting on the bus, ya know, shit like that.

remember, just keep doing what you are now: practicing!

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dropping bombs

Hello there first of all thanks for comments

Peetaer: thanks for dropping by, as to the copying I meant the wrong kind of it that is without understending, that kind is I think worthless

inkR: you better be glad because it's all your fault I'm here so you take full responsibility for it ;P

Ok now for some update it basically some studies from Loomis on the things I'm currently struggling with (proportions, gesture and a bit of perspective) and some of my own stuff, so here it goes:

P.S. sorry for such a huge update, hopefully in the future they will be a bit smaller, open for crits and comments as usual

"iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, fresh meat! Loomis sketches rock, his construction methods are pretty easy to grasp and indeed they shall help a lot further down the way. Excercises on perspective are looking very good. Just remember to keep the horizon line straight, otherwise no objections. The last couple of pics - you know my comments on the futuristic battle armor babe. The Aquarius drawing is teh shite! I like the dynamic pose here. The anatomy looks really nice - if i'm to be any judge on that Maybe try to keep the linework a little bit cleaner. Overall the last one is my fave. Good update, waiting for more.... wish i had as much motivation as Ya

peace,
    inkR

Sketchbook full of INK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more stuff

Thanks for the comment mate, anyways here is some more stuff, doodles and last two are some works in progress, well as always I appreciate some opinions

"iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. Thanks for posting in my sketchbook. You got some good studies and reach character designs here.

I'll try to be constructive.

One basic mistake I see in your characters is giving all parts of your character the same level of contrast which makes it flat. It also can be a bit confusing beacause the viewer doesn't know what to focus on first when looking at picture. The only exception for this is this partially finished cowboy sketch - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1220120719. You gave his upper part of the body darker lines while the rest is more light and loose. Therefore you got focal point there and the whole picture reads better than rest of your characters. Keep going in that direction. I would recommend looking at different paintings of old masters like Rembrandt and analyse why some parts attract eye more than others. It's basics you need to make strong illustration.

Good job so far. Keep posting.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

R&F

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

next dump

hello there it's time for next dump , this time my excursions into the animal realm, most of them are from reference.

Farvus: Thanks for comments ,much appreciated, I think I know what you mean, well I never thought about it but I'll try to watch that.

"iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

eh...

Couple of things to keep this sketchbook moving ( lately I'm not happy with the things I draw) so some gesture studies (mostly failed) some lion doodles...( from reference), and two concepts that are waiting for better times

Last edited by R&F; September 1st, 2008 at 02:28 PM.
    "iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo mate! Those pose/gesture quickiez are not that bad actually. I think the proportions are good, do more of these and i'm sure it'll pay off. Just keep pushing it. A sidenote: the images are slightly too bright, maybe try to edit them in some 2d app and tweak the contrast up a bit, it definitely should help. Those lions look very good, i really like the soft/sketchy lines in the second pic! The concepts have some nice shading, you pinned down a great pose drawing that "werewolf" (?) on the far right, i like this one. Nice update, keep it up bro!

cheerz,
    inkR

Sketchbook full of INK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa - you seem to have a great daily output! you're really busy! lots of basic studies, you're on the right track.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool new posts man. keep them coming. i dig the lion posts.

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude! I just wanted to say that your daily output is really good, and it's nice to see someone who is determined about drawing and pushing those limits no matter what. Something i could learn from you . Not much to crit, ur definitely on the right track there, I'm trying to study from Loomis too, and from the 400 pdf drawing books i gathered there's nothing better and more concise then Loomis. Your anatomy studies are coming up real nicely. Love the horsies. Keep up the good work, greetz from your neighbor

P.S. : Really diggin your middle werewolf drawing. You have a nice pose there, dynamic and somewhat frightening. Really gives the impression that it's ready to jump at your jugular.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, first of all thank you all for kind words, but I think I need to clarify things mos of the things that I posted since I started this sketchbook are thing that I made throughout July and August so well it's not like I made it all in four days, sorry to disappoint you but I'm not a machine like some . Anyways head study from Loomis (new stuff), well I did those heads couple of times but every time they seem a bit off, I guess I'll have to do tons of those, a quick doodle (like 10 min or so, I'm running out to patience lately...) of an eagel form ref, and some of my first attempts with perspective, free hand mind you (a bit older stuff). From now on there will be only fresh meat

Cheers

Last edited by R&F; September 2nd, 2008 at 03:31 PM.
    "iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice fresh update mate. I see Loomis and i dig it. I see eagle sketch and i dig this one too. Those doodles turned out real good! Keep playing with Loomis, it's never too much of that (i know, darn easy to say heheheh). I came to a conclusion that you're pretty confident with drawing animals man. I'd really like to see more of them The perspective excercises are looking good too. Two things that come to my mind: 1. Keep the "helper lines" as thin as possible and outline the object rather bold lines. So that it pops out of the entire construction. 2 Dunno if you know this already - when drawing long perpendicular lines, try to use entire arm not only the wrist. It will help Ya to get all the longer lines straight. Hope that's constructive hehe. Greetz and keep 'em comin' bro!

inkR

Sketchbook full of INK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those head studies are crucial. You've been posting a lot more yourself... that's the way to go! Don't let the momentum stop! I like that you're doing perspective studies, that's also super crucial. I haven't even started with that.

One thing that I notice in your sketches is that they're almost always just one tone: grey. Don't be afraid to get a little "dirty" or "rough" with your sketching. Try to look for photo refs (or any other kind of image) that has a lot strong contrast to it. That'll help big time!

Blog
    Sketchbook

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Peetaer For This Useful Post:

R&F

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

it is not so easy

Hi, I guess it's time for next upload this time the action of the neck plus some planes from Loomis, I had quite a struggle with this one and I'm still not happy about those studies and something a I had fun (first time in a while) I tried to watch your advices in this on, well I think succeeded somewhat

inkR: thanks mate I know about the wrist but it still not that easy

Peetaer: yes mate ur right my values to suck and I have to work on them, definitely I have to turn up the contrast

cheers

"iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

exercises, exercises, exercises....

some ecercises on perspective from Loomis and a bit of figure study, the perspecitve stuff i free hand so the line qulity is not so good I guess but I think it will improve with time and more practice , I tried to fix the exposure but I think I got find a better way to do it, well so here it goes

"iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a little break form the perspective excercises, it is not perfect but it's my first wolf, anyways I think I'm getting into this animal stuff, comments appreciated especially about rendering the fur because I have no idea about that stuff

Last edited by R&F; September 7th, 2008 at 01:12 PM.
    "iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, those Loomis studies came out well. I'm gonna have to do those soon myself. They look super helpful.

That's a wicked dragon you've got there.

I can see that you've been busy also, and it's definitely paying off. I can that you drawings have gotten better already. Don't stop the art motion!

Blog
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the beast master... lol

here is another one put the perspective studies for some other time , this and previous one are from ref (link to this one http://www.photolibrary.com/image_ca...5/16350404.jpg)

P.S. crits, comments and advice appreciated hopefully they will let me improve

Last edited by R&F; September 9th, 2008 at 04:14 AM.
    "iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a pretty good ref drawing but i think it lacks some of the depth of the photo. Really "carve" those shadows out. Where it is dark, show that it is dark. Where it is mid-range, show that it mid-range, etc... Don't be afraid to "dig" with your pencil. Maybe try using a darker shade (3B-6B) of lead.

Anyways, keep them coming man. Don't stop! Eye of the tiger!!!

Blog
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

anatomy and stuff

here some anatomy because I seem do be slacking off with and and a torso I did as a value study (it seems to me I got totaly lost)(link to the ref. I used http://www.photolibrary.com/comp.htm...r_id=19244053).... comments and advice appreciated

Peetaer: thanks man, well it seems that values are going to be problem for me

"iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just keep it up R&F!
    If you get bored doing human anatomy studies, you could do some animal anatomy studies once in a while, since you are good at drawing animals too, judging by the wolf sketch.
    I'll be dropping by later!

I SWEAR ON THE GRAVES OF ALL THE TALENTED FILIPINO ARTISTS WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, THE FILIPINO ART LEGACY WILL CONTINUE!

MY DAY JOB http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=136204

MY ANGRY SKETCHBOOKhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...129015&page=13

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    good looking studies!

you might want to check out bridgman too...i tend to think bridgman offers a better understanding of masses, while loomis kinda works better for planes. prob just a matter of personal preferance and perception, but y'know...just a tip.

keep it up and keep posting

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To help with values, render 3d objects with high-contrast colors with one to three midtones.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well another 3 in 1 (anatomy, rendering and tackle of my problems to work with reference) (linkhttp://www.photolibrary.com/comp.html?similar_id=20301722) well it seem that I will have to do a lot more of those and new avatar which at the beginning was meant to be simply for pleasure but turned into another rendering test ground (well maybe that is not so bad) anyways:

Last edited by R&F; September 11th, 2008 at 12:34 PM.
    "iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Things are coming along here, and its good to see that you're becoming more and more aware of what you need to do next to improve. It's a sign of development! Just keep paying attention to little things like that; it's means you're doing the right. Keep going!

Blog
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love how you draw muscles and bones. Especially muscle. You have an eye for detail. Of course I love all your other drawings as well. The dragon is super cool.

So you think , that you are a noob ? Wait till you see my sketchbook.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=135839

If you want something better then listen to my music

http://www.soundclick.com/kilon

33. The Following User Says Thank You to kilon For This Useful Post:

R&F

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good, keep up with the studies!

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.