Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks

Going slow but steadily....//Contains some nudity

Hello Conceptart!

First of all, this is an awesome place with so many talented and inspiring people!

My name is Caroline and I'm from Germany =D I've known this place for quite a while now, but hesitated to join. But since I really want to improve, I thought I could as well give it a try!

Most of the time, I draw some kind of manga-style, uhm... I love drawing androgynous guys and stylized stuff...but well. There are times, I want to draw in a realistic style as well - and then I fail. Also, I think it's important to know all the basics for the freedom for stylisation...!!

So, I scanned some stuff from my sketchbook to get started. I think there are some mistakes I'm doing over and over again. Hopefully I can get rid of them...

Attachment 957856
    Last edited by Cyprinus; November 26th, 2011 at 10:20 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Good start! So long as you're drawing pretty women in states of undress, I'd suggest playing off the textural differences of cloth vs. skin. Take a different drawing approach to that woman - emphasizing the form of her ribcage/sternum and collar bones. It'll make the whole image more interesting.

Thanks
    Thank you TASmith !

It's good you mentioned the cloth vs. skin thingy ... it's definitely something I need to work on! I will pay attention with the next sketch.
    >> My Sketchbook <<

[SKETCH/CREW]
    ]Hanny & Cyprinus

"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Buddha

Thanks
    Some new stuff
    Hadn't much time for sketching or better; totally lacked motivation. Maybe it's the weather....it's raining too much...

Attachment 457387
    Attachment 457388

First some anatomy practise....the torso has been done long ago, the pelvis is an exercise from last week. I always have troubles with the neck and pelvis, I want to work on that more. I mostly work with Bammes' book about anatomy...

Attachment 457389

Heads exercise. I'm not too happy with it...must practise more.
    Some angles I find really hard to draw. I can't locate the nose and stuff. Also the eyes...very difficult.

Attachment 457390

Here are some sketches of a new character I'm designing for a rpg. I'm not sure about everything yet. When I scanned it, I noticed his thumb is too short....I definetely have to pay attention on small things like that...
    >> My Sketchbook <<

[SKETCH/CREW]
    ]Hanny & Cyprinus

Thanks
    I can't sleep and so I thought I could write a little update.
    Didn't do many studies lately *slaps self* but sketched a lot other stuff ..here's some of it:

Attachment 480785

I developed the design of the character further...
    I think it still lacks 3-dimensionality ;_;"

Attachment 480786

First time I tried a character like that o__o"

Attachment 480787

Something I'm coloring at the moment I'm not progressing at all, can't find the mental state to go on coloring XD; Even the sketch is super-old from may or something like that...

C&C welcome
    >> My Sketchbook <<

[SKETCH/CREW]
    ]Hanny & Cyprinus

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 636 Posts
    Cool character designs! \°O°/

Thanks
    Update-time

Did draw much last weeks, though I had a bunch of other stuff to do but drawing is so relaxing and always a good reason to procrastinate other work

@ Algenpfleger

Thank you (again xD) I love designing characters. I do it too often I think...

Well, on to the new stuff.

Ever since I became aware that I can't draw full bodies (and I realized that long ago XD), I didn't draw full bodies. Which results in...that I can't draw full bodies even today
    I want to work on that as well... but still, I practised some more heads...

Attachment 495693

From Loomis and then two characters from Inoue Takehiko's Manga Vagabond. I wanted to try using a brush pen for outlines like him. Was difficult, but a lot of fun!

Attachment 495697

Some studies I copied from a book with photos of angel statues at a cemetery. I noticed since I haven't done any studies from photos or such in a long time, it has become really hard for me Have to do it more often.

Attachment 495695

Quick sketch after the studies. I guess I felt inspired... I wanted it to look like he comes out of a stone but I failed. Have to try again...

Attachment 495694

Fanart of Shishido Baiken from Vagabond... I think the head is too big, but I'm not sure. It's not completed yet for I wanted to add a tree and stuff like that in the background. Critique welcome!

Attachment 495696

Another Fanart. Mitsunari Ishida from the game Sengoku Musou 2. Attempt at drawing a full body shoot. Did this after Midnight and was probably too tired to manage to get it right. I think that his legs are wrong. But I can't really tell the mistake. Have to practise more, next one will be better (hopefully)

Attachment 495698

Okay. Drew this since I wanted to practise emotions and drawing an open mouth. Damn hard...I should have used a reference for the mic

Attachment 495701

Last but not least: finished the pic from my other post. FINALLY...it takes me too long to finish something, srsly....I get to get my ass working.

Like always, C&C most welcome!
    >> My Sketchbook <<

[SKETCH/CREW]
    ]Hanny & Cyprinus

Thanks
    Pretty good work here, I'm liking what I'm seeing. What you should do to make you work better though, is to practice drawing poses.

For you to do this I'd suggest you do some gesture drawing, draw for 30 seconds of the people you see. It'll be good practice, and help you draw with speed and efficiency. Plus it'll help give a sense of attitude, and weight to your drawings. Which a few of your pieces I see are missing, but otherwise keep it up

Thanks
    Love your linework. It looks really clean. Crisp. I think your eyes and faces are pretty darn good (better than mine!) but like geoxen said, practice poses. I'm just getting into the whole idea that the human body is much more flexible than I've been portraying it. My characters look too stiff. Loosen things up, it's a little weird at first but I think I'm starting to get the idea.

Anyway, great sketchbook, I'll be back!
    LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Woah, I can't believe it's been such a long time I did post here. I've been so unmotivated =( I didn't do much, so I didn't improve at all. This s**** big time, so I'm gonna kick my lazy ass now! Thank you Viking Raider and Geoxen for your encouring words =)

I've made some loomis studies lately. Heads. If I think of my main problem, which is anatomy and poses, I think it's quite silly going on practising heads, but hey, what would a figure be without a head. I'll go trying some poses after I finished this post =) I also thought I could post some of my sketchbook pages and manga drawings

Attachment 840391

Attachment 840394

Attachment 840395

Attachment 840398

Attachment 840399

Attachment 840400

Attachment 840397

Yeah, so I hope I can get some motivation again and post more often...

Btw, I'm sorry for the quality of the scans =( for some weeks I have a new scanner, I have yet to set it up right
    >> My Sketchbook <<

[SKETCH/CREW]
    ]Hanny & Cyprinus

Thanks
    hey caroline! That last piece is great, great linework and composition I would say. thanks for dropping by my sketchbook : )

Thanks
    I admire your work, I am in a serious drawing funk , so just check out some of your stuff inspiires me.

Thanks
    hello Caroline,
    i like the flow if your lines, you got a clean, confident line... i think you got all the tool you needs to start doing more varied studies like you are doing for those heads.. try to draw full bodies from life or reference, do it non stop and it will surely help your work from imagination. The 10 seconds pose things from posemaniacs.com is a good exercice to do as well.. Same for the mannekin approach of Loomis. \Keep it up

Thanks
    @ tja88: Thanks a lot! And you're welcome, I really liked it =)
    @ foreverartfan: Thank you, glad to hear it's inspiring.
    @ WhiteC: Wow, thank you! Hearing that is really a motivation I'll do my best!

Okay, so unfortunately I don't have the whole day to draw (I blame it on my studies....) and so I don't have too much to show. I try to make some studies at least for one hour a day or so, if I manage, the rest I spend on progress with my personal projects.

So here's what I did this week, some posemaniacs, it's actually quite hard for me, I never manage to finish them within the time. I have to give up detail in favour for the gesture and overall expression. I try to remind me every time but it's quite hard stopping old habits...

Then I got some Hogarth Studies, a study of a woman based on a photo and a photoshop study. My awesome friend Jana explained me a bit about photoshop and painting. Actually it's quite old but I forgot to post here. I have a hard time getting the colors right...very difficult T_T"

Attachment 847334
    Attachment 847331
    Attachment 847332
    Attachment 847336

I still don't know what's up with my scanner, though D:
    >> My Sketchbook <<

[SKETCH/CREW]
    ]Hanny & Cyprinus

Thanks
    nice update!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast