What happened to Loomis creative illustration reprint?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

What happened to Loomis creative illustration reprint?

I preordered the Loomis - creative illustration book. Today i recieved email from amazon, that they are unable to deliver me the book.

Titan books are afterall not making the reprint of Loomis series? They didnt set newdate, now the book is just "out of print" state.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1845769287

I think the availability of Loomis books is one of the stupidest things atm on the artbook market. Why arent any of the companies making proper reprints of these great books.

Same as the Gottfried Bammes book, why arent they making edition of it in english? (I know there is one edition in english, but its 1/10 the size of the original german one)

And same as the horace le coq book. There would be propably alot of people intrested in that. But the last print is from the early 1900s.

Sorry for my poor english
    My life drawings
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kai H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, I know there's scans and all but to me they are just as good as nothing, I can't read books that way. A reprint would fill that void, how is it possible the best artbooks ever made are not being reprinted? Thankfully I have Bridgman's Drawing from life but Loomis books would be even better.

Thanks
    His books are public domain now, I don't even think 'they' can reprint it legally.

Thanks
    If they're public domain anyone should be able to reprint them.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    They're not; that's why they haven't been reprinted.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    I also just received this email from Amazon, having pre-ordered it. Anyone have some more info on what happenned ?

Thanks
    I found this quoted on Bookride while trolling around for info today:

'Loomis' family are Quakers and would not allow his books to be reprinted after his premature death in 1959 because of depictions of the naked human body.'
    Think that has anything to do with this more recent edition getting pulled?
    Titan Books (UK) was supposed to be the publisher, but their website makes no mention of it now.
    Kind of a bummer, I was really looking forward to this one.

Last edited by Jasonwclark; August 30th, 2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    The scans are ok, but i want one in paper format. I hate copying or reading anything from the screen.

Isnt Harold Speed - practice and science public domain? And many different publishers are printing it. So its propably not about the public domain thing. And as Elwell said, they are not public domain. I think the reason why save loomis site were shutdown were because they didnt had copyrights for the books.

I wonder that did they got scared because the pdf were all over the web? And thought that the print wouldnt be too succesfull financialy. Because people wouldnt buy book that was allready free on the web. I would definetly like on in paper format. I mean printing one with normal b&w laser printer would cost anyways few euros, and you would had separate one side pages without covers with that price. So i wouldnt see any reason why people wouldnt buy it for 15€ (or was it 20€).

If the quacker thing is true. It would be just perfect example of religious idiotism.

Iam was also really looking forward this one. I was also kind of hoping that they reprint all the rest of loomis stuff. But apparently no-one is really intrested really educating people. The "easy watercolors" or "learn to draw by ian sidway" or something sells better, because all the watercolor painting grannies are putting their moneys on those.

They sould drag, harold speed, bargue book, alla prima, gottfried bammes, goldfinger, peck, ryder, hale, leffel etc. books from the market and replace them with "how to do easy tricks with watercolor" and "100 ways to draw cute furry animals" books. Propably would earn as much money, who the fuck cares about good art anyways, when you can have alot of money!

Ps. Sorry for my harsh language and all the raging. Iam really pissed atm XD

Last edited by Kai H; August 30th, 2008 at 10:32 AM.
    My life drawings

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    That's annoying.

I also dislike reading on screens, that's why I have a physical copy of Speeds drawing book even though I could have just read the ebook on Guttenberg.

Was looking forward to getting a reasonably priced print of Loomis..:/

Edit: Amazon UK still has it listed as released 2nd Spetember.

Last edited by Flake; August 30th, 2008 at 08:11 AM.

Thanks
    Powells Books has it here, anybody know what's really going on?

Thanks
    I recieved mail from titan books. And they said that the date had been postponed, but its going to be released afterall. Theyll uppdate the information on the amazon site.

My life drawings

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kai H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yay, great news, I'll order the book for sure. Hope they re-release the other Loomis books too.

Thanks
    So ... what happened to the book ? I didn't find it neither on amazon nor on titan books website. I hate reading on screen that's why I bought all Burne Hogarth and Bridgman books, but Loomis is the best, and I need this book !

Thanks

Loomis

Just as an FYI, Bud Plant is selling a German edition of Figure Drawing For All It's Worth:
    http://budsartbooks.com/prod.cfm/pc/DAS/cid/45

Thanks
    I've just gotten a response back from Titan Books as well. Creative Illustration is indeed postponed, but not because of production setbacks. The delay is actually because of rights issues. So I guess there's a chance it won't get printed For those interested, here's the reply I received (spelling errors and all):
    Thank you for your email regarding the Titan Books reprint of Andrew Loomis’ Creative Illustration. Unfortunately, due to rights issues, the release date of this book has been postponed until further notice. We will update Amazon and other retailers with the new publication date as soon as possible and apologise for the disappointment and inconvenience. In response to your second enquiry, we have tentative plans to reprint the entire Loomis series, however this depends on the fate of the aforementioned rights. Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks
    All – we are not Quakers. That was funny! The books have not been republished to date because of difficulties getting the rights reverted to the family from the original publisher. We are working on a deal with Titan but it has not been finalized. Hang tight. We are doing the best we can. By the way, I am his granddaughter and all of the copies of the Andrew Loomis books I have I paid hundreds for on eBay.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jmloomis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My college library has a copy of Figure Drawing for All It's Worth...maybe I should jack it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.