Concept Art/Video Game Corp. Internships
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Concept Art/Video Game Corp. Internships

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concept Art/Video Game Corp. Internships

I was just wondering if anyone had info on these topics. I've done a bit of snooping around on the net, but have found very little in relation to an internship.

I currently attend a big ten school and plan on completing a double major with a fine art illustration focus, however Purdue does not offer the insight and video game specific education (video game design/concept etc.) that a specialized artschool would. Therefore I believe an internship would be the next best thing in order to get a feel for the environment.

While I understand that artists get hired by their portfolios, having work experience is always nice as well, and I was just wondering if anyone had any idea about internships in the industry.

Thanks in advance for any info,
    Arealous

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To start out, you may want to check here:
    http://gamedevmap.com/

They've got numerous companies all over the world (both big and small) that do game development. You may have to look a bit for those that actually have internships at all, let alone art internships, but you can find quite a handful there.

Another option is to think about all the "big name" developers you can think of...Blizzard, Electronic Arts, Bungie, etc. Look up your favorite videogames and see what you come up with. Look up your favorite movies, too. Places like LucasArts (one of the LucasFilm companies, like ILM). You can find the Special Effects companies that worked on specific films here:

http://www.imdb.com/

Just look up "company credits" (I think that's at the bottom of each movie listing).

Also, many of the internship areas on companies' websites are under "employment", or "students" if they have a section like that. That's your best place to look if you're having trouble finding anything.

I would suggest that you not only look up big companies (the companies you hear the most about, like those above), but also aim for smaller companies, too. Smaller companies may have less competition for internships (if they do offer them - the larger companies tend to be the ones that usually have the internships)...and it's always good to apply for a range - just like it's suggested to do with colleges.

Good luck!

[edit] From what I've learned, I should mention that I think there are more opportunities for 2D art jobs/internships in games than in film. The primary thing for film seems to be 3D stuffery.

Last edited by Fireflights; August 29th, 2008 at 08:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fireflights For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.