Art: Sepulvertures Studies Thread UPDATED November 15th 2009 ::::Now with acrylics:::: - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!

This is a good time to start a new painting and plan it thoroughly.

Place the objects right next to the easel and then try to work sight-size. Make an interesting and CONSISTENT light situation with one bulb/light source. Take black fabric for the background so you will only see the three/four/whatever objects without being distracted by the backgound.

AND: take objects that are obviously NOT intended for eating

Last edited by bjoern3000; February 15th, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
    www.ClassicalAtelier@HOME.com
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    ------------ ♦ ♦ ♦ ------------
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bjoern - Thanks for commenting again!

A half step ahead of ya in terms of a no-distraction-little-bounced-light-clean-light-source environment. After that deal with the last still life I made a black box to try to help with still life work. I got this cast which I used for a light study in mixed media graphite/charcoal, and I'm thinking that I'll use it again after I do a for-fun painting.

Speaking of, here is a photo of a for-fun painting that I'm doing based on a water color sketch I did a few months ago. I did some research and found some good photos for things like color and light reference and whatnot, also a sketch I did of the pose of the girl (also from reference) to help keep it on track. It's really rough and has a long way to go, but I figure with the studies that I'll pepper in between stages of this painting it should turn out ok. Not great, but ok. The background is kind of bland but I'm happy with the direction it's starting to take.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a self portrait I did for the Nov. 1st self portrait day.

I have a lot of drawings I ought to post up here, and I think I will this week. Just want to show I'm still working.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, really digging your studies. That latest setup with the box intrigues me, how did you get the inside so dark? I'll be moving to a new place soon, and I'm going to figure out a way to setup a bust like that, with a dark background, so I'll be keeping your box in mind.

Sketchbook Support Group
    Earendil Jussi Tarvainen Reidaj

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm the only person who will tell you right now that I believe gestures can be a complete waste of time. Use them only to loosen up because in my experience, my art has only ever been hindered by trying to take a gesture from just that and make it into a full blown illustration.

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, nice progress.

I think those eyes of yours are still too large, like the white bits stand out alot and are very glaring in the whole picture?

On the topic of gestures, I don't think any form of practice can ever be a complete waste of time.

A good gesture ties up the intent and action of a figure. Without which, figures will tend towards looking like posed mannequins. So that said, the difficulty is in cleaning up a gesture whilst still retaining the lively qualities of the gesture drawing.

hitnrun: maybe you just need more practice?

And abstract larches in the neutral light

My Sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JeanShade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all.

been a while since I looked in on my own threads last. Been fairly busy with Chinese Language studies, and not been doing a tremendous amount of drawing, although I have been doing some to try to keep loose a little bit.

Thanks everyone for the comments, I will reply individually when I post up some new artwork.

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking at your stuff it seems as though you have a pretty good eye for massing in light and shadow according to the geometric planes of your subjects. I think if you just keep it up you'll continue to see progression but may i recomend a book that really helps break down the anatomy in a structural and constructive way. I have the bridgeman books and I've checked out the hogarth series from the library but i've found another book that I feel breaks it down a little better and it's in full color. If you want to check it out the author/artist is micheal hampton and the book is called figure drawing design and invention. I got it for about thirty bucks but if money is a problem click this http://downloadaccess.net/search.php...ichael hampton

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tylerfontes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive been looking over your sketchbook and studies and i admire how much imporvement youve made! one of the poeple ive seen on this that have really made a drastic imporvement, well done!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 5