Sketchbook: Mpdpsy's Sketchbook - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice dude! You have improved tremendously since your '07/'08 sketches.

And you seem to know exactly what you should be doing (Loomis, "Drawing on Right Side of Brain", etc) All great books.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love your studies so far. maybe try charcoal or softer pencils to work in deeper values. i'd also recommend more eye studies. you seem to be a bit foggy on them compared to the rest of the face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sep 7 - sep 8

d-funct: thanks for the suggestion! I decided to use pastel pencils, and it made it a whole lot easier to create volume.

The first image is drawn from imagination, the same gladiator, warrior dude but in a different stance. The other ones are studies of William L. Maughan's Drawing the Head:

Attached Images Attached Images            

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sep 9

A couple more studies of Maughan's heads, ugh, I think the forms get lost in some parts, gotta focus more on the large planes next time:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sep 10

Another head study, man I'm really falling behind with my self-portraits, gonna try to apply what I learned from these studies to do work on those next, I think I'm getting the hang of the planes of the head more now:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sep 11 - Sep 12

More head studies, I need to do more of these the more I do them, the more I understand shading structure bit by bit:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sep 13 - Sep 19

Went back to doing figure studies, some are from posemaniacs, one of them from a photo, one from Henry Yan's book, and another by Jeffrey Watts. I had a hard time with charcoal, still messy, looks super crappy compared to the original drawing uugh, must do more studies on lightings on objects I think that'll make it easier.

I also did another drawing from imagination, my friend and I did an exercise where we told each other what to draw, I had to draw a "robot ninja":

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sep 20 - Sep 21

More studies of Henry Yan's figures, man I'm just amazed how quickly he did his sketches, it took me like ten times longer, and they still suck compared to his, gonna do more:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sep 22 - Sep 23

Another study of Henry Yan's figure sketches:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sep 24 - Sep 25

A couple more Henry Yan's...I'm unhappy with these, I still have a hard time reproducing the correct value relationships...I guess I just gotta look more carefully :/ :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sep 26 - Nov 8

Hoo man haven't updated in a while, but I have been continuing with my studies...I felt I still needed to strengthen my drawing skills, so I did a bunch of photo studies of figures and portraits...I tried to employ the Reilley Method of shading with the figures..but I think it doesn't work as the photos didn't have strong contrast in lighting, or maybe I just don't understand it enough yet.
    Also I've been working on a couple charcoal still life pieces to put in my portfolio:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    very nice work, keep at it bro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mpdpsy View Post
    More head studies, I need to do more of these the more I do them, the more I understand shading structure bit by bit:
    are you using Strathmore, velvet gray paper? doesn't look like ...

your proportions are most of time accurate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nov 9 - Nov 18

lolbbq : thanks man!

Tony00 : thanks, I'm getting the hang of it...now that I double check those head studies, some are too long haha. I used Borden & Riley Kraft pad because it was much cheaper than the Strathmore, and still somewhat worked as a middle tonal background.

I've been working on more portfolio pieces, the last few have been self portraits that I posted in my SP thread. This one is a full body self-portrait that I just finished, I still have so much trouble with value I gotta make more studies, but I gotta apply to transfer soon so gotta complete my portfolio pieces, so gotta make do with the skills I have now:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nov 18

Did two more self figure drawings today, I think I'm getting accustomed to the planes of the body, but I gotta hit Vanderpoel after this extra hardcore:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations on creating art that does not suck. You have some really nice figure studies and faces. Your online presentation could benefit from a better means of scanning the images, however. Also, I still wouldn't pay for your art, so if you want to make a living at it, keep going and try applying what you've learned through all these studies to some interesting concept design or some such. Great job with all this. You certainly have stamina.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nov 19 - Dec 1

Dahami : Thanks!, yeah I agree with you I'm still leagues and leagues away from making art that people would pay for, and yeah my sketchbook is seriously lacking in the conceptual department, gotta work on that..but first I wish to nail my foundations down pat first.

I've been feeling like I haven't progressed much, if at all this past couple of months, like I'm stuck in a rut. I think the reason being is that I haven't kept up my studies as consistently as I did before, as a result the information I learned slowly dissipated away...But! looking at the Finally Finished threads, and some of the awesome sketchbooks around here, as well as listening to some Bobby Chiu has reignited my desire to improve. Thinking back, even though I did a lot of studies there was something missing in that I didn't do any memory drawings, of what I studied.

Anyways this time around I decided to focus my studies into small increments, and study that intensely until I truly understand it, to start off I did 100 eye studies from Loomis, Bridgman, Vanderpoel and others. The next step is to apply what I learned from these studies to draw from photos and from life, after that, is the last step which is to draw eyes from imagination, as this will sharpen my memory drawings...then repeat with another area, I plan to do nose after, but for now it's eyes..:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dec 2

Just a small update, I did a pathetic amount of studies today..but I decided to post up stuff daily so it forces me to become more consistent, no matter how little:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dec 3 - Dec 7

ahh..so much for updating the next day, o well, as long as I never stop right. I was ruminating the past few days and I realized I can't just focus intensely on one thing, cuz there's a danger of losing the big picture..and...it's boring! So I decided to set several activites per day from studying anatomy, to self-portrait, to doing a master study drawing, to studying painting and colors, and lastly to exercise imaginative doodles, anyways here's the start of that schedule, (the face is the start for a Sargent portrait study I'm gonna work on):

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dec 8

Didn't manage to do as much as I wanted to...but better than nothing I suppose, moving to noses..:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dec 9

Did studies of the mouth now and did some junk doodles, man my imagination needs some ironing out, I had a block because I've done studies too long without doing something creative , the advices various people gave in the previous posts were right, gotta practice imaginative stuff as well:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dec 10

Ears and the beginning of a figure study from Strength Training book..wish I could draw faster, just gotta practice more I guess:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dec 11

Woke up so late today, did very little, but I'll try do double the amount tomorrow:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dec 12 - Dec21

Just more studies and practice stuff:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dec 22 - Jan 16

I think I was going through a burnt out phase, needed to just take a break, relax etc, anyways more studies, gestures etc. plus I finally started doing color charts, something I've been meaning to do but never started for the past several months...it'll probably take about 2 weeks to finish, I have 13 colors. hopefully I can be more consistent with updates:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa... This sketchbook kicks me right up on my feet, just what I needed!
    It's very inspirational seeing your progress, hard work and dedication in this sketchbook!
    You're really good with pencils I have to say
    Maybe you would like to try working with Photoshop or Painter, though?
    I don't know what you're intrested in learning most.
    But it's Something I sure would like to see from you

Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jan 17

Luckers : Thanks man!, yeah I'm very interested in trying out both Photoshop and Painter, but I can't afford the Wacom right now , I'll be practicing with oil instead.

I did some exercises with drawing the combination of the sphere and cube from imagination that Vilppu recommends, and some 3 min. gestures, also I finished 3 more of the color charts:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jan 18 - Jan 22

The first 3 are 3 min. gestures from last time, next 4 are 15 min. figure sketches, some Vilppu exercises, then many more 3 min. gestures, and I finished all the color charts..they're not perfect, but nonetheless I learned a lot about what colors my palette is capable of producing, ..now on to actually practicing painting..:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jan 23 - Jan 24

More 3 min. gestures, and a teapot still life sketch. I also worked on 2 Bargue plates, they're really good exercise I gotta say in becoming patient, and ultra sensitive to your medium, so I used graphite for the foot, and oil for the arm. I think one of big big problems I have with oil is simply getting used to handling it, so this was good practice I think, I'll probably go back to them each day as I seem to find something wrong on places I didn't see before:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jan 25

10, 3 min gestures as usual, and a couple 15-20 min. figure sketches. I worked a bit further on the Bargue arm painting study, and also on a teapot still life. Also I started a portrait study of a pin up painting done by Gil Elvgren:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10