Thanks

Question Military and Illustration ?

I remember in highschool and as a child it seemed one of the many things I've wanted to do, I've been told I would do well in the military, however, I don't really see any joy in ranks and yes sirs and maams as I would in a carreer in drafting and illustration. One thing is ofcourse the Sign up bonus and comradery, and in ways the experience may benefit and help me acheive my goals outside the military and pay for a decent education, but in the same way it could be just another detour.

So more specifically , My question is do any of you have experience with the military and art? what sort of jobs/positions do you know they have in the military that are illustration or architecture related ?

Thanks, and don't turn this into a debate, I want solid answers from people with real experience.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I haven't, but this guy was one of my teachers:

http://www.airportjournals.com/Displ...?varID=0303017

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    I've always, always had half-a-mind to enlist. I use it as a way to get things done. "If I'm not in school/have a job by this date, I'm enlisting". I always manage to do it - not because I don't want to enlist anyway, but.

In Canada, there aren't a lot of directly related jobs. There are "war artists" but they aren't actually part of the military, rather they are given basic training and stationed with them - kind of like planted journalists. They have a lot of photography/film jobs, though, as a sort of recording tool for the army, but nothing really illustration related. (I can't speak for any country save Canada, so...)

A few of my friends in the army (mostly in the reserves) also use the neat little thing that the army will PAY for your education if you enlist. So they go, work for the army for a bit, and then the army pays for their studies - no matter where/what they study. Again, I have no idea if any other country does this. A few of my friends from school were there on the army (and the navy's) tab.

The reserves seem to line up well for this sort of thing, because you can go do a few days of work with the army every week, and then have a few days for study/work/freelance etc, hence why I've always considered doing it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    n Canada, there aren't a lot of directly related jobs. There are "war artists" but they aren't actually part of the military, rather they are given basic training and stationed with them - kind of like planted journalists.
    Can an American get a job as a Canadian war artist? Just wondering, since the American armed forces seem a bit more likely to get themselves into the type of shit where you might get shot at...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    Can an American get a job as a Canadian war artist? Just wondering, since the American armed forces seem a bit more likely to get themselves into the type of shit where you might get shot at...
    Probably? Pretty sure that the journalists don't have to be canadian nationals, so I don't see why the artists do. You might have to pay to get yourself there, though.

Although you've still got a chance of being shot. We're off in Afghanistan right now, and by-population-ratio we've lost more troops than anyone (# out of 1000), but not by over all losses. (We've lost around 76 or so..? Out of something over 2000? Don't quote me, I'm not totally sure, just remember we have the largest ratio.)

However, we've never let one of our journalists get killed, so there you go.

Thanks

25 m

just thought i'd help out with this question, as i have alot of experience researching into it...yes, the military does have a position for illustration; it's mos # is 25m, and it's called "multimedia illustrator"...basically, you go to the army's version of art school after boot camp, then when you get done, get get assigned to a unit and from there design various things for the unit that you are assigned to. as with any unit, there is a chance that you will be deployed to iraq/afghanistan, but hey-there's a chance with anything lol...

when i was looking to join the army (and i still am-stupid probation), the recruiter had me take a test to make sure i was apt enough to do the job. also, there are different clearances in the military, and you have to get a specific clearance for 25 m, so that's something to think about to. just trying to help! good luck with your decision!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gr4f For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't know about illustration IN the military, but there are plenty of game companies that make entirely real life military based games. So if you like painting Marines/Soldiers/Green Berets/etc. there is probably a job out there you could apply for in that regard.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wassermelone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm currently active duty in Japan, Mr_S_14.

PM me any questions you have. There is a Draftsman rate(job positioning) in the US Navy. However; I would recommend staying the course with studies and trying to get as much education or starting a career yourself.

That being said - I'm a very free spirit, and everyone was shocked when I joined the military; I'm doing okay, though. I've seen a lot of things, good and bad. I'm a veteran of four campaigns and have seen almost 20 countries.

The military itself is not a bad entity, but it's the things we have to do that can challenge our morals and beliefs.

A lot of good things have happened for me in the military, and the bad things I've experience are things that have helped me grow as a person. There are very few things though that can compare to feeling 'I earned my freedom'. Especially when it is your birthright.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GhostValkyrie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    They have the same type of thing like gr4f mentionedin the Marine Corps...If I was you I would do the Air Force variant! I think it is mostly PR related stuff...
    Visual Arts is an excuse to draw BOOBIES!
    HAMSTER DRILL & SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    I did at one point look into the military, they wanted me to join the navy nuke program after I took their aptitude test. I decided to go to art school instead. If I was to do a job like what we are talking about here I'd want to stay a civilian, that way if I decided to quit and go home I couldn't be thrown in the brig for going AWOL.

Thanks
    The marines actually have paid artists that are fully trained marines. Of course... there's only about 2 artists or so at a time... and the artists are already professional artists. But hey, maybe you could take one of their jobs!

Thanks
    It's not all bad, but if you can go without joining I recommend you do so. Like I said; I've had good and bad experiences. Knowing what I know, I would go back and do it all over - but I'll never do this again. As soon as I finish recovery and they let me go, I' gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    If I was to do a job like what we are talking about here I'd want to stay a civilian, that way if I decided to quit and go home I couldn't be thrown in the brig for going AWOL.
    You don't get the brig unless you opt for it.

If you do something serious enough you go straight to military/federal prison.

Otherwise you get reduction in rank, 45 days restriction, 45 day extra duty, and a month's pay taken. All of these depend on the severity of the crimne.

Thanks
    Hey everyone, Thanks for replying, Your comments have been helpful.

~Sean

Thanks
    gr4f -"also, there are different clearances in the military, and you have to get a specific clearance for 25 m."

Would that mos require a security clearance? And do you know if you can apply for mos's that were not displayed amongst your choices after taking the ASVAB? I got a 61 on the asvab, and with it a list of 30 job offers - But that list quickly got narrowed down to 8 fucking jobs because of a juvenile misdemeanor. They told me I couldn't apply for any mos's that require a security clearance because of it. Basicaly left me with some real shit job...I think my recruiter is just a fucking asshole.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gr4f View Post
    just thought i'd help out with this question, as i have alot of experience researching into it...yes, the military does have a position for illustration; it's mos # is 25m, and it's called "multimedia illustrator"...basically, you go to the army's version of art school after boot camp, then when you get done, get get assigned to a unit and from there design various things for the unit that you are assigned to. as with any unit, there is a chance that you will be deployed to iraq/afghanistan, but hey-there's a chance with anything lol...

when i was looking to join the army (and i still am-stupid probation), the recruiter had me take a test to make sure i was apt enough to do the job. also, there are different clearances in the military, and you have to get a specific clearance for 25 m, so that's something to think about to. just trying to help! good luck with your decision!
    um, sorta. Actually not really. 25 mike is multimedia illustrator but they don't get assigned to a combat unit to design their shirts, badges, whatever. 25 mikes go to a unit specifically for creative types (i guess) and the unit as a whole is tasked with doing all the graphic design and illustration tasks for the army. there may be a few different units of this type, but that's the general principle.

As far as other jobs in the military, you can still do freelance illustration on the side, the problem will be which MOS you choose. If you take a combat arms MOS (infantry, cavalry, armor, etc) then you will have less free time than if you take an admin MOS. However, if you're at all interested in designing vehicles, weapons and the like then the 2-4 or 5 years of playing with guns and combat vehicles will most definitely give you an edge when it comes to realistic designs.

I spent 5 years active duty Army in the infantry and am now in the National Guard for another year. I can tell you honestly that most of the people you meet in the Army will not be creative types and you will have to work hard to maintain your ability to think freely and creatively.
    The benefits of military service are obviously the money (I got 50K for college and I believe there's even better bene's now for new soldiers) as well as the general life experience. Sounds corny but since I've been out of active duty I have not faced a moment or situation where I thought, "I've never been in a harder or shittier situation." Plus I have a lot of experience taking... *ahem* direction and that's payed off in civilian jobs. Hard worker who listens and obeys, what employer doesn't want that in an employee?

Anyhow, I could talk about the military all day long so in the interest of not clogging your thread, feel free to PM me anytime with any questions that you have. If I can't answer them I very well may have a buddy who can, so whatever it is, I'm available to you. It's a potentially very big decision and you should have all the information you can before you sign. It's a heavy signature.

Chris

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dose206 For This Useful Post: