EOW 93 Potemkin Village, please read the brief
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EOW 93 Potemkin Village, please read the brief

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EOW 93 Potemkin Village, please read the brief

[SIZE="5"]EOW 93 Potemkin Village/SIZE]

REQUIRED
    False front, different back

DUE September 7

good job all on the last round only one person forgot to Outside host his/her icon

NO description required, say what you need to say visually.

Brief: Short history lesson
    The Czar of Russia was touring his domain , His minister Potempkin was trying to tell him all was well so in each village they passed through Potemkin had his men runn ahead and make the village look clean and prosperous. and all the villagers look clean and happy. this in volved putting false fronts on all the building and generally faking the whole thing.

Im not asking for Russian villages. the point of this EOW is to create a false front and what is behind the scene in one image.

there are plenty of other instances should you choose a real or historical scene, for example
    hollywood sets, Disneyworld, Beijing spiffed up for the olympics.....

FEEL FREE TO CHOOSE THE ERA, OR INVENT ONE.... THATS ALL UP TO YOU

FOLLOW THE TOPIC.

POST YOUR FINAL IN THE HERE THREAD.

SAVE YOUR FILES IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT.
    EOW##_Nickname
    example: "EOW#100_Chaosrocks.jpg"

PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC

example from CHOW

(you can add CA logo, etc).

Add an icon to you final post
    150 pixels either direction
    PLEASE OUTSIDE HOST THE ICON
    k thx

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chaosrocks; September 3rd, 2008 at 08:54 AM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I vaguely remember being told about that bit of history. Awesome subject matter!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sound interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah good one, first idea I had was a vision of heaven covering up hellish architecture, whatever that would look like.

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    go for it

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bit of imagined social realism,I see...
    I like it...I sucked really bad on the prev EOW,but i hope I'll come up with something,a very intelligent theme...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I noticed my portfolio lacks some good environments, so I thought it'd be good to do some EOW's to work on it.

Hopefully this falls within the brief, I focused a bit more on the false frontage - ugly behind that than on the name. Basic idea was to have this village in the middle of the desert where they spent all their money to build the front but lived in sheds behind it -sort of 'look I'm richer than my neighbour ' Then the buildings became poluting factories that hide behind their public image...my mind wanders I'm afraid

WIP for now, the canvas feels a bit too tight still.

Name:  EOW 93 Potemkin Village 1 small.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  349.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Hi all. Here's mine for this week's challenge. Focus more on the village. Those are huge screen you see on top that you can view both sides. Still a long way to go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So yeah. I was thinking about this last night and for some reason Silent Hill keep coming in my head.

Sir Bret is offline The Scanner Sees Darkly Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It reminds me of the Savage enclosure in Brave New World. I am definitely doing this one; hopefully my ambition won't surpass my shallow art skills too much this time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, i've got to say something about the topics recently. I'd love to get in on an EOW and have been waiting weeks for something cool to come up. But nothing has
    I'd love to know what on earth makes this topic interesting. It's incredibly mundane and sounds like something one of my friends who knows nothing about art might come up with, which is when i say "ok, but...how is that interesting and why would people ever want to see that."
    The topics in here are the kind of stuff you might see walking down the street or experience in day to day city life, mixed with something slightly fantasy or scifi taped on the end of it to supposedly make it interesting. This week was obviously a weekend at hollywood, last week was a trip to the theatre. the week before that, probably a popcorn and crappy cult 80's movie, the week before that, baraka and popcorn.

Where is all the fantasy topics and scifi topics most people want to do? like blood god temples, skytrain complex, zombie nesting grounds, edge of the abyss, the bog, flooded swamp temple, etc. theres a reason why six people entered last week, it's because last week's topic was boring and really difficult for beginners given all of the attention to perspective that would be needed to do a concert hall that would almost certainly have a pooload of perspective not 2 or 3 point but based on an elliptical shaped concert hall which is next to impossible to make look cool without being bogged down with ridiculous perspective. i give props to everyone who participated. Though more people would participate if there were more put into the topics or if they were more game related.
    I guess my point is...theres an idea suggestion thread and it doesn't look like it's getting much use. These ideas for weeks have been incredibly boring and not something anyone would put in a game...though this is conceptart.org and conceptart is usually for videogames (and of course movies). please please can we start getting better topics, it's disappointing week after week, and im 100% positive im not the only one who feels this way. Im probably putting it a bit more blunt than anyone else would and theres probably a million better ways to say it but i'm just really disappointed and would love some better topics so i could have something interesting to create instead of some lame russian village with flat front homes. forgive the bluntness, it has to be said.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sparetire:

As a concept artist, you should be able to make even a toilet look cool. I think thats the challenge in these exercises, to come up with cool ideas even if the topic might not float your boat. If the topic isnt interesting, you can make it interesting! "traditional" topics, like fantasy, in my opinion tend to create mostly generic entries.

On the other hand I also like to create things like youve mentioned. All I'm trying to say, is that if you think about the topic a little, you can put in a lot of things that you want. For instance, this topic CAN be a fantasy castle or sci fi thing.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ArtbyWard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sparetire: You've got a lot to learn if that is what you really think. Part of the job of a conceptartist is to think about the subject at hand and make it interesting. Topics in themselves are never boring, it's just seems that way if you that can't come up with an idea for it when reading it. To me, some of the topics you mentioned are among the most boring and run-of-the-mill ones out there, but this would not keep me from doing them as I'd push myself to make something I like out of it. Since this topic is apparently something you're not familiar with, that last part is even easier since there are no previous examples of it (or not that many at least). Do some research, look up some reference, get the juices flowing instead of shuffling grumpily back to the corner to wait for something 'better' to come up. You need to open you eyes instead of narrowing your vision.

The last topic, Steampunk Concert Hall is definately a possible set for a movie or a game - ever played Bioshock for example? The argument that the topics should be more game-related has been brought up more than once already, but the answer is simple: part of the idea of this activity is that it is not for a game yet, so the topics can be chosen to stretch your imagination a bit more than might happen if you'd work on a real game. I would say this is a positive point of the topics, instead of a negative as you seem to claim it is. Narrowing your focus to just a few topics will not get you a lot further.

I also don't get your complaint about the whole perspective issue with the last topic. You basically say you can't pull it off since you're not skilled enough yet. Sounds to me like a perfect reason to try it...these activities exist so you can give it a shot and learn from it. Winning is just a bonus, but shouldn't be seen as the walhalla. I've seen many an artist in here improve in each and every round because of the crits he/she got and because he/she was determined to get better. To get back to your complaint about the relevance of these topics: You can't tell your boss you're not able to do something because it's too difficult, can you?

Reading your post I think you just need to open your eyes, and instead of seeing negative points everywhere just start and try one of these.

Edit: Also read the brief again: it clearly says it's not about the the Russian village itself, it's about having a false front with something behind that doesn't fit. How easy is it to put a Blood God Complex behind it?

Last edited by yoitisi; August 29th, 2008 at 04:27 AM.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah I agree with IceMoon. I always felt the purpose of all the weeklies was to move out of your comfort zone and be forced to solve problems that are challenging, even if that means finding a cool way to do a topic you dont like.

On CG Channel there is an interview with James Clyne, an extraordinary environment artist - one of my favorites. In the interview he talks about having to do things like design dung-balls, and says it isn't always X-Wings and Tie Fighters. In the industry you have to be able to draw anything, and I know when I went to a book signing a while back, guys like Scott Robertson and Herald Belkar said that more than anything you are asked to design sets when you work in the entertainment design industry.

Perspective may be hard to master, but to do any environments well you must be up to the challenge. I didnt enter last weeks topic, but the sketches I started were actually based on just 1-point perspective, even though I did have some ellipses in there. I try to find new ways to solve a problem each week, and the problem isnt usually the topic, the problem is how to get my own vision of the topic down while using (and breaking) the rules I have been taught.

Last of all, we have had cool topics. We have done hell, the gates to heaven, breeding grounds, planets, and other cool things. If you havent already you should check out the winners thread. It is outdated but still full of cool stuff.

Now the one thing I would say is that some topics are way better than others, but again thats to be expected and that happens in all the weeklies, not just EOW. Give the topic this week a go, lets see what ya got!

EDIT: also very well put Yoitisi

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to artiphats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not a regular here, well really I am just a lurker. But even I can see that all the topics are interesting as long as they stay fresh and open. To quote the description:

"...FEEL FREE TO CHOOSE THE ERA, OR 'INVENT' ONE..."

I'm just a student and I can see HUGE potential with this. Maybe a Roman Governor is a wicked governor and treats the towns populous like slaves and the town is run down. Now what happens if the Roman Senate decides to pay a visit? The Governor rallies up the horde of slaves, I mean towns people, and makes wooden 'false' fronts in order to deceive the arriving Senate. (Although this is fictional, this kind of thing may have happened)

It is WW2 and the English are out gunned. A few engineers design the idea of a 'false front' using props that look like tanks, soldiers, planes, etc. All to make the German Recon planes think that this is the English armed forces. For this NON-fictional place you could design a fake base with props. Not fun, but might be needed in the film industry if you was to be the CA for a WW2 film.

A few holiday makers see a luxary place in a hotel brochure. They arrive to see a wonderful apartment block, but when they enter the place, the inside is empty and they get captured by slave traders. For this you could design the luxary front and the behind where the slaves are being caged.

Of course this topic title seems vague, but to say the topic maker made the whole thing left open creates a better environment than say 'Space-monkey space station' 'Bog town' 'zombie infested mall'

If you wish for a more restrictive activity that touches on fantasy more, try out CHOW.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excuse me for volunteering my time to run this activity

I was gonna do the Skytrain next but you are be so rude I think I'll make it " a midwestern farm"

A. this topic is wide open, if you want to make a shiny space complex hiding a decrepit space port go right ahead, don't forget the lenzflars. Failure to find interest in a topic is a failure of your imagination , not my topics If you think this is a lame russian village with false fronts, ...learn to read.

B. not enough Fantasy or SF? excuse me? man-made planet? Lost civilization, hidden valley?the first is not "Scifi" enough? the second came directly out of several of the great classics of early Fantasy. SteamPunk Concert Hall came out of a request for steampunk. your attribution of the inspiration for the topics, is both incorrect and rude. If you have farthur comments to make about me personally please take them to PM. and what is baracka any way?

C you complain about the topics and then say that perspective is too difficult. um. thats why you do environments? to learn how to deal with perspective? and I didn't set up your perspective system... you did. Can't blame me for that one. Who says a concerthall is eliptical? coulda a been vertical floatingplat forms for the audience looking down into a performance pit, all held inplace by clockwork.... I certainly didn't

D. I try to vary the topics and leave the very open to interpretation, I give examps but by no means do I expect all the results to be even remotely like the examples, in fact I hope that they are not. I run a loose cycle of topics , SciFi from Literature, fantasy..... but most of them can be interpreted in any way you like but you can and should learn to deal with perspective by drawing even the mundane . you should be interested in drawing the world out sideyour window, everyday for a year.....and if you actually had a rounding in classicis of SF and fantasy genres you would be able to see that most game scenarios draw heavily from these sources. I don't propose specific game environments, A. for copyright issues, B. Im not particualrly familiar with them, C. why have you draw something that has already been done? any of these environment topics could be core worlds for games if you wnat to think of them that way..and draw them that way.

now PLease everyone. Shut up and draw
    I love you all
    crx

Last edited by chaosrocks; August 29th, 2008 at 09:05 AM.

Sketch book

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    simply i love chaosrocks topic.

my only complain is i am too busy for drawing every topic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A midwestern farm?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't forget the lenzflars
    LMAO, I swear I stay in these forums just to catch moments like that.

Off to draw!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sparetire: Ok. I don't really say much in the forums. I've been here for a while just looking, making a comment or two when I see fit. In some ways what you say is true. Just thinking of the cardboard cut out village would seem boring, but you need to stretch your thinking a little bit more than just the title of the topic.
    One of the ideas you had was "Zombie -breeding-grounds." How does that not fit with this topic? Think about Resident Evil for an example. A major biological weapons manufacturer hiding behind it's image of a pharmaceutical and cosmedic corpiration. Not being able you utalize your own ideas is really what is going on. Sit down write the topic an then list some ways that you can branch of to make it interesting for you.
    There will be a time, that someone will approch you and say "Hey this is what I want and what I'll be paying you for." and at that point it doesn't matter if you like it or not it is what you have to do or just not get paid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An update. Someone did mention skytrain, so I added a few stuff at the top.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lunarman looking good, I like the skytrain.

Is that supposed to be a light on top of the pole, by the people? If so, dial the value up in that area, so we really know its a light, even if it just creates a small pool of light.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This topic reminds me of what Jasper Maskelyne did during World War Two, especially what he did with the town of Alexandria in order to fool the German Bombers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No skytrain? T__T

Don't mess with the chaos!

You're doing a great job with EOW, we love you too, chaos!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Won't make this one on time but I'm up for midwestern farm !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man , only if i had time , im soooo sloooowwwwwww , i need a whole friggin week for a finished piece , next time , im starting on an EOW right from the beginning ... ill just watch and learn (as usual )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

We all apreciate you Chaos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woot!

i think I'll give this a go!

I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok ok so I have started my piece, here is the sketch that represents the "front" ... I still have to do the hidden part (what do the stairs lead down to you ask? heehee, we shall see, Muahaahaaaa!)

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chaos, you ROCK!.. and I'm from the midwest, so a midwest farm is right up my alley! )

MY DAILY SKETCHES

If you can read this, I gave you 5 stars

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1