Thanks

What 3d software to use?

I'm a highschool freshman and I was wondering which 3d modelling software would suit my needs the most. I have gmax but the thing is you can't render with it, and I am looking for something that I could use to display my talents. Whether for my portfolio for college admission or simply for posting on the internet, I need something that can produce viewable pieces. If there is any way to do it in Gmax or if there is just better software to use please tell me. I am looking for free software for now, because as a high school freshman my resevoir of cash is rather shallow.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If your looking for free software, may i suggest something like Blender, its free and it has quite good functions considering, but it has quite a tricky interface.
    www.blender.org
    Alternatively, try a heavy weight such Maya personal learning edition, which has just about everything you might want.
    maya
    cheers

Thanks

Try that

Perhaps you should buy issues of digit magazine or computer arts magazine. Both of them always come with some demos and some free software. I think they have something for you every two or three months.

But if you want to work on top of the line with modern solutions I think you have to buy a software.

Some companies have real cheap versions of their softwares.

Good luck!

Thanks

Modelling Program

Wings3d is the best subdivision surface modeler in existence barring perhaps Mirai. As an added bonus it is free. If you want to model high poly and/or organic subjects this is where to go:

www.wings3d.org (the www. is required)

Wings has an incredibly clean interface and it will probably take a while for you to find some of its more advanced features, and you will need to read some tutorials about subdivision and box modeling to get the most out of it.

I strongly suggest you look around the Wings official development forum. Although the forum gallery has been less inspirational lately there are links to many good references there.

Links for modeling related sites:

www.metagons.com <New>

http://cube.phlatt.net/home/spiraloid/ <see the forum>

http://news.cgland.com/index.html?co...700000&start=0 <Huge downloads but worth the time>

www.meshmaker.7p.com <Links>

http://www.3dluvr.com/loganarts/

Eventually you will want to get into high-end apps, especially for animation, but Wings is a great tool to start with and you'll probably keep using it even with high dollar programs.
    [Always remember that if a topic seems uninteresting, then it's just because you are picturing a solution that lacks vigor.] - William b. Hand

Thanks
    I've used several packages including 3DSmax, Maya and Cinema 4D, but I would have to say the best overall is Light wave.

I find its separate modeller and animation tools very useful to keep things organised unlike packages like 3DSmax where your trying to model and animate in the same window.
    It has one of (if not the) most powerful modelling systems I've ever seen.
    Fast rendering engine with images that easily compete with any of the other programs (Maya, Max, etc).
    Great easy to use interface with some really useful tools to keep the workflow smooth and fast.
    And an amazing number of plug ins that come with it for free such as motion designer and sasquach lite.

Also the fact that this is one of the cheapest high end 3d graphics graphics packages out there can't be overlooked if you’re a freelance artist who can't really afford something like Softimage and an SGI machine

Murphy ^_^

Thanks
    hi gays,
    i would like to know about 3D modeling, texturing, rigging, animation and mental ray rendering.,
    if you have any idea or any links just guide me pls

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uva
    hi gays,
    i would like to know about 3D modeling, texturing, rigging, animation and mental ray rendering.,
    if you have any idea or any links just guide me pls
    Be more specific. Do you want to know what people do this, what programs to use, how to use them, what it all is, etc? What would you like to know? I do a lot of modelling (for a current video game project) using blender3d. It's impressive stuff, and if you're just getting into modelling and rendering, and especially rigging, and would like to be able to export to the most different filetypes, it's the way to go. And it's totally and completely Free. Most other modelling programs are either good for rendering or games, but not both. Figure out what you'd like to make, then decide upon which tools to use.

Thanks
    DaemonMagus

First of all, do you want to create renders depicting humans or things like landscapes ?
    Do you want to create your own stuff like : clothes and hair and characters for figures or do you wanna use premade items and only modify to suit your needs ?
    Im working with quite a few 3d applications like Poser, Bryce, Carrara ,Hexagon.
    A really fine application to create " human based" renders is Daz Studio.
    Its easy to use, got a lot of options and best of all ,its totally free.
    You might want to check that app out at www.daz3d.com
    Another reason for using Daz Studio is, you can use poser content for it, there is a lot offered for free at Daz website as well as at Renderosity, to name a few .
    I am also working with Daz Studio since the early Beta Versions, so, if you need any Assistance, just let me know.

Hope that helps, good luck for your renders

Derek

Thanks

3d soft

hi
    it is a software with many tools and very cheap in price. it is a good tool when modeling, already you proved truspace o strata? ,is they are also economic if you look for a commercial software

Thanks
    Hola Alejandro ,que tal ?

Daz Studio is Freeware ,and yes there are a lot of pretty cheap addons available and you can use all of these addons for Poser too ,if you ever might wanna decide to go for that Application .
    I know truespace but didnt have worked with it yet.

Thanks
    My vote is for Cinema 4d.
    Powerful tools/modules. A very working interface. Wonderful renderer. Being playing with 3dsmax for a year and then i try C4D. Cant change it since.

Also u could try the new MODO form luxology.com.

Thanks
    You need to figure out what and why you want to use a 3D app. Is this a hobby, do you eventually want to do it professionally, is your interest gaming, movies?

If your goal is to go pro one day my suggestion to you would be one of the high end platforms like XSI, Maya, 3DSMax, or Lightwave. Each has their niche and advantages although these days they're all very similar. Pick one, learn it and don't worry about the others. Learning other apps is easy once you know one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    There's all sorts of info about the games industry in my sig. . .
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    you can't go wrong with 3d studio max!!
    My Sketchbook

Life is a long lesson in humility.

Thanks

:(

anybody know how make 3d modeling with skin detail..like scraches..nurfs..and skinning..--not add material--?is that right people use Zbrush for make skinning model??

Thanks
    I vote for MODO...small but LETHAL...Unbelievable rendering machine.
    Z brush for sculpting
    From bigger apps i ll go with C4d.