$200 for logo design?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: $200 for logo design?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

$200 for logo design?

First off I would like to apologize if this is not in the right sub-forum.

Okay, I was recently offered a logo design job from a well established Mixed Martial Arts gym of southern California and am unsure if whether or not $200 is a reasonable price? Here are more details just below.

Gym:
    • always busy
    • a lot of clientele
    • worth well worth over a million

Me:
    • student (fulltime)
    • work (yes, i already work but as part time)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    200$ is what I just charged a friend with a tiny start up. But what is right for me isn't necessarily right for you. This isn't my first gig by far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    philesaid,

The Graphics Artists Guild - Pricing & Ethical Guidelines is one of the best books you'll ever buy. It is the ultimate reference book for design and illustration professionals, with the latest pricing information based on real industry surveys.

It's one of the great investments you'll ever make for your professional life as an illustrator.

However, you'll come to realize there are different levels of reality when it comes to setting rates for your work. Just because in those surveys, someone can charge $10,000.00 for a logo, doesn't mean you'll be able to. Doing a logo for a Mixed Martial Arts gym (that has maybe a hundred or so customers in a year's time) is very different than doing a logo for, say, Coca-Cola or Microsoft (both of whom have untold millions of customers per year). Two totally different marketplaces, there.

All this book can do is educate you about the structure of how to price your work. To be able to charge those absolute top rates, you'll have to achieve a level of experience, reputation & downright luck to be awarded such monies. You'll just have to figure your way to whatever rates you can get, depending on the client & situation you deal with at that time.

I've also done small logo jobs for about as much money. I would look at it as a means to learn as I go, to pay for a good amount of extra art supplies, or to celebrate with a nice dinner and movie (or DVDs) after I did a good job with my small logo exercise.

It all depends on how you can see your way to doing something, even though you know you're likely not getting paid what you could or should be.

Make it work for you, however you can. Maybe after doing a bunch of small logos, you can save enough money to buy the Adobe Creative Suite, so you can do even better & more professional work, so you can get a regular job at an ad firm or magazine? There are so many ways to look at things.

After you do your logo, maybe you can get permission from your client to show it here on this forum? That would be a nice conclusion to this thread.

Good luck!

Last edited by magnut; August 27th, 2008 at 09:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you a student of graphic design? if you were you'd know the amount of work that goes in to making a logo. And you would know that 200 is an uninformed offer. you need to multiply by at least 5. And if you are doing a redesign of their identity, you need to add another 0.

Ask yourself this;
    how much is membership there per month? now multiply that by how many years you reckon they'll use your logo for promotion purposes. Now ask yourself if their members needs to have a massive student loan to go there.

(not being an ass by the way...)

Tim

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.