Thanks

Talking game companies open days, pay'em a visit!!

Just something i thought id share cause it was very rewarding and I highly recommend it to anyone trying to get into the industry.

Back in March I was fortunate to get in to a open day at Frontier Developments who are based in Cambridge. I heard about the day through my University. For those who don't know, (and i didnt) they are the guys (and a few ladies) that recently made lost winds, thrillville, rollacoaster tycoon 3 and way back when elite and its also home to David Braben.

The day was basically split in to about 5 or so parts, about an hour each (most of which ran on for longer), in which we were shown around the companies departments, concept art, animation, 3D modeling, stuff about lighting and pipeline, etc, pretty much all they were allowed to. There were also separate groups for coding, etc.

I dont know if companies holding open days is a new thing, but I hadn't heard of them before and this was Frontiers first, and considering they were all working hard on projects at the time they still bent over backwards to help, answer questions, shower work in progress. It was as much a career drive as it was a day for students, so there was info about salary's, what makes a good portfolio, what they are looking for.

The day ran much longer than intended just because they seemed so eager to talk to us, David Braben even gave us a talk during lunch whilst we scoffed from the buffet. Im in my second year at uni, and i learnt more that day than i did in the whole year, (maybe an exaggeration but it was still a lot!)

Anyway thought id put it out there, if you think there is a game company near by or with in reach of you, then check out their website, (or even drop them a line), they may have an open day comin up. I'm sure Frontier are gonna be doing another next year and I definitely recommended attending their's.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Wait... is this a industry standard?

Ive really interested in the companies around my area, but Ive never heard of open days...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralfish View Post
    Wait... is this a industry standard?
    No, but it might still be worth asking your local game companies about.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Blitz games in Leamington Spa used to do that, think they held one in my second year at uni too. Not sure if they do that these days. Worth checking up on though.

S
    My Website

My Blog

My Facebook

Currently for hire as freelancer!]

Thanks
    Saturns Gate i think Blitz games held an open day earlier this year too, i'm sure a guy on my course went to an open day with them. I dont know how well advertised they are, or if they contact universities direct to inform them.

Thanks
    I think they go through uni's, either that or my teacher told me, cant remember exactly. One of my friends got in there and is loving the place, he dont want to go back to third year uni now. hehe.
    My Website

My Blog

My Facebook

Thanks
    i went to the open day at blitz this year. it was very good, we had portfolio crits from the artists and they gave some good tips on getting in the industry. i found out through uni but they advertised it on their website. i had to submit a piece of work because there were limited places. only four or so from our class got in to the open day from about ten that applied.

we got a free lunch and afterwards we all went to the pub with people from blitz.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    You can find lots of companies at portfolio reviews/open talent calls at conventions and things like those - ie, San Diego Comic Con, IGDA events, ConceptArt workshops, etc.

It's often your best shot for face time (unless you have a friend on the inside) cause alot of inquiries through websites and email get lost in the pile.

Thanks
    Yeah thats true, I was lucky this year in that a friend in Blitz hooked me up to an artist in there to help mentor my work. Really need to get my ass to those conventions though.
    My Website

My Blog

My Facebook

Thanks
    I know there was one open day at my job sometime before I started there, I haven't heard about the next one yet. We also have student visits, but those are scheduled with lots of conferences and stuff and not so much sightseeing the studio. And they are not advertised outside of the school involved.