Just wondering
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Just wondering

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just wondering

When creating a site/portfolio to try and get some work, is it a bad idea to have too much diversity? Like, I've done a variety of works in different styles (e.g. traditional portraits to very cartoony stuff) and I'm wondering if that would do more harm than good? I used to think it would be a good idea as you are apparently reaching out to a wider audience, but when I look at any good portfolio, all the work is of a similar nature. What I'm trying to say is, if I'm looking to draw in potential clients to make a bit of money, is it worth me tailoring the site/portfolio to one very specific area of work, and developing on that to get it as strong as possible, or have a diversity of different types of work? Right now I'm not looking to be a full-time professional, but just to make a bit of cash. I don't know if this makes much sense.

Cheers.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It probably somewhat depends on the specific area, but in a lot of areas including fine art they will think you are still kind of a journeyman who hasn't yet found his voice if they see too much diversity.

You could probably solve this by having different portfolios and, if necessary, a pseudonym. Then the fine art oils market won't dismiss you out of hand because of your cartooning, for example.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you need to include multiple styles, group them in separate pages ("illustration", "concept", "gallery work", etc.) so that your potential clients understand that you know the difference.

It's best to keep it simple as possible though and try to show focus towards the work you're most interested in getting. Simple and solid will help people classify and remember you when they're assigning new jobs.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O.k, I understand.

Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.