Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls

Most of the 2008 hopefuls are now at Ringling, so it seems time to start this years thread. This is the place for students applying in 2009 to meet one another and current Ringling students, and recieve advice on how to get accepted.

Here is a link to last years thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=102409

Some notes on applications, garnered while I was at Ringling pre-college. Some of it may be more relevant to computer animation than other majors.

Portfolio:

Most of your portfolio should be drawings from life. The website says at least half; seventy five percent would be safer.

It's okay to have some concept art stuff, as long as it is good and reasonably original. Just be sure to get critiques on your work, and avoid stereotypes such as dragons and unicorns.

Same goes for 3d computer work. Also, keep in mind that the more complex a model or animation, the more likely it is to have visible flaws. A simple, effective piece will help you, while an ambitious but imperfect piece will hurt you.

Include only your best work; don't feel obligated to show a vast quantity or huge variety.

That being said, if you have top notch pieces in a variety of mediums, include them all. If you've invested the time to become good in many media, show it off.

Some of your work can be stylized, but avoid using other peoples styles, especially anime.

Grades/Recommendation Letters/Test Scores:
    While secondary to the portfolio, grades do play a significant part in admissions. Likewise for letters of recommendation. While you don't have to submit standardized test scores, the people in admissions say that they never hurt and sometimes help an applicant.

Essay:

While the essay is less important than any of the above factors, it can be a deciding factor for a borderline applicant. Try to be entertaining; if you can entertain them with writing, it's more likely you'll be able to entertain on canvas or film. Don't try to suck up, and don't include any variation on "ever since I sax X, I've wanted to be an animator/concept artist/whatever." (supposedly, in order to make reading that sentence hundreds of times more bearable, they read it in a funny voice whenever the encounter it).

Also, the essay is your chance to explain any extracurriculars that you think should help you get in.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meloncov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well you already saw me in the first thread, Meloncov. Just need to figure out how I'm going to get figure drawings from life.

Thanks again for the advice.

I'm wondering how current Ringling students are liking the school. How are the classes? What about student activities (want to hear about the Hip Hop dance group!)? And what are your classmates like?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, joining in as a 2009 Ringling hopeful! Just went on a tour about a week ago and loved it. Definitely motivated me even more to get working on the portfolio!

Seconding what MM Howard said; would also like to hear from current Ringling students and looking forward to getting to know some of my fellow applicants!

Talk to ya soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I know some may remember me from last year's thread, but I just wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself again. I'm Betsy,a second year computer animation student at Ringling. I'll be lurking around here offering whatever tips and advice I can. If anyone has any questions about their portfolio or just Ringling in general, feel free to drop me a note or send me an e-mail at ebauer@c.ringling.edu !

I'll also be working in the Admissions Office at Ringling this semester, so if you would happen to visit on a Tuesday morning, I might see you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the introduction, I have met you then! ^_^
    I'm one of the Nicole's, more specifically, the one who's name was "butchered" yesterday, lol.
    CAGGIANO. ^_^
    Also, good luck to all applying, each major is something to really think about. Submit your best work, or work that's strong in it's media, and good luck.
    Also ALSO, it seems from the vairety show that some of upperclassman can REALLY shake their groove thang. o.o Like, wow.
    Classes are net week, and we'll find out more specifically about clubs and whatnot during the Friday workshop.

Last edited by Magami; August 23rd, 2008 at 09:43 AM.
    Sketchbook~Any comments much appreciated

Also known as Magamish, not to mention countless other "Maga" variants. It's an addiction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, I'm going to be applying this year, and to say the truth this is like my dream school so im really sh* my pants. Im trying to improve in the little time i have but im really unsecure about my work seeing everyone elses portfolios! i met up with a lot of universities over the summer, they all told me i shouldnt have any problems (SVA already accepted my portfolio) and met Mrs. Fischer in ringling whom was very positive, but im still really REALLY nervous.

so if anyone could helpfully critique my work that would be amazing....
    apart from that ill be hopefully joining the CA group fall 2009. My gpa is so-so but itll be 3.00 or a little over by the time i apply . I can get 2 recommendation letters from owners of two japanese industries whom i worked for (animation) meh cant think of anything else to say. Im in IB, live in Japan but Im italian.

Ah does anyone know of any "international" student loans? the ones in EU suck ass...

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I'll be applying for RCAD this year. I'm a senior in high school right now. Though, I have a question, when would it be the best time to apply? (especially for scholarships?) I live in Louisiana so if Ringling has a portfolio day or a campus tour, I could probably make it. Ringling's CA looks like an awesome major and I would like to apply for it.

I'm currently setting up a portfolio and plan to work my as$ off. I also scored a 5 in AP drawing last year. Does that help in getting accepted?

Last edited by kedrew; August 23rd, 2008 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thesinfulsaint View Post
    Hey guys! I know some may remember me from last year's thread, but I just wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself again. I'm Betsy,a second year computer animation student at Ringling. I'll be lurking around here offering whatever tips and advice I can. If anyone has any questions about their portfolio or just Ringling in general, feel free to drop me a note or send me an e-mail at ebauer@c.ringling.edu !

I'll also be working in the Admissions Office at Ringling this semester, so if you would happen to visit on a Tuesday morning, I might see you!
    Hi Betsey!

Last edited by kedrew; July 17th, 2009 at 01:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kedrew View Post
    Hi, I'll be applying for RCAD this year. I'm a senior in high school right now. Though, I have a question, when would it be the best time to apply? (especially for scholarships?) I live in Louisiana so if Ringling has a portfolio day or a campus tour, I could probably make it. Ringling's CA looks like an awesome major and I would like to apply for it.
    The deadline for CA is January fifteenth or so. There is no advantage to submitting before then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah the faculty gather all of the CA portfolios and look at them at the same time on January, so if you're applying for CA you just need to get it in before then. Otherwise I believe Ringling has a rolling admissions, and the scholarship/financial aid deadline is sometime in March if I'm not mistaken.

Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woot! If it didn't show up soon I was about to make this thread myself!

Yup I'm hopin to get in as an illustration major. I'm crammin in some direct observation as I speak. I'm also gonna hit up portfolio day on Nov 22. I hope all you guys get in! (not to mention me)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    drawing from life is proving to be a real pain in the neck for me, since i cant get any models anywhere i have to rely on moving people or people on benches and stuff...apart from the fact that i dont have a "fast" technique so it usually comes out crap any suggestions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "From life" includes still lives, landscapes, self-portraits, and the like, as well as figure studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone I'm Jackie and I am a freshman Computer Animation student as of this week (classes start Monday, haha)! If anyone has any questions about the acceptance process or anything really, fire away. There are upperclassmen that post here as well (Hi Betsy!) and they're extremely helpful.

So welcome to ConceptArt's Ringling thread, your plethora of first-hand knowledge!

Oh and Scoop, like Meloncov said; "From Life" can be anything you see in.. well, life! It doesn't necessarily mean you have to do figure drawings. Trees, spoons, feet, cars, draw what you see!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks to both but i see so many figure drawings i started to panick because well, i cant really do any not because i cant draw them but because its kinda hard to find a company here in tokyo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also know that those quick little life drawings are a great exercise, too, 5coop. It's a hard thing to master, but once you get the hang of it, they make great portfolio pieces, too! It's essential to understand movement as an animator (and really, as an illustrator, too), and it's great if you are able to observe this from someone who is not posing for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! My name is Tarrah! You've probably seen me lurking around the last the last thread. I'm a Freshman Illustration student at Ringling, I'll be checking in and giving whatever advice I can give you when I can. My advice for you now, if you really want to go to Ringling, some of you may need to fight your parents for your dream school, if you want it, fight for it and in the end it will be worth it. If you can dream it, you can do it. There is always a way to get to the place you want to go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Magami View Post
    Thanks for the introduction, I have met you then! ^_^
    I'm one of the Nicole's, more specifically, the one who's name was "butchered" yesterday, lol.
    CAGGIANO. ^_^
    Also, good luck to all applying, each major is something to really think about. Submit your best work, or work that's strong in it's media, and good luck.
    Also ALSO, it seems from the vairety show that some of upperclassman can REALLY shake their groove thang. o.o Like, wow.
    Classes are net week, and we'll find out more specifically about clubs and whatnot during the Friday workshop.
    I guess we met without knowing it since I was in your dorm room the other day! lol, its Tarrah! Good times

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thesinfulsaint: thank you very much for the reply on my other thread and for a reply here i love your work. Hey i sent you a message btw through ca so i dno if you saw it....

Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    5coop, you could get your family to do some poses for you, I get my sister to model for me on occasion. Do some hand, feet, drapery stuff. Ooh, better idea, whenever your parents, sister, brother, etc.... sit down to watch tv or anything, draw them then.

Edit: My mum wants to know what you guys do in case of a hurricane.

Last edited by Pirate Lord78; August 24th, 2008 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone! Most of you know me from last years thread! I'm a "freshman" in CA, although I already have a TON of transfer credits, if anyone plans on transferring, let me know and I'll tell you what classes Ringling did and did not accept and which ones are a MUST if you are shooting to transfer in as a sophomore. A warning to CA sophomore hopefuls though, often enough CA is FULL so transferring in as a sophomore is VERY difficult. At least that's what my advisor has told me.

Also I think it would be a GREAT idea to post links to any accepted portfolios to give everyone an idea of what Ringling likes to see. You can see my CA portfolio in my sketchbook link below.

Good luck to all you hopefuls out there! =3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot to all the current students for posting here. In general, do you find that the general attitude at Ringling is as cooperative and willing to help as you guys show on this forum? Or are you guys kind of the exception rather than the rule? I know some art schools can be really competitive and somewhat "mean spirited" but I don't get that impression about Ringling from my visit or from these types of threads.

I hope that made sense!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lord78 View Post
    Edit: My mum wants to know what you guys do in case of a hurricane.
    As hurricanes move from east to west, Sarasota, being on the west coast of Florida, is pretty safe. I think I remember someone mentioning classes being canceled due to a hurricane once last year, but there was no danger as long as one stayed inside.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All right then I'm currently unsure about which school I wanna go to ill be applying to more than 2. The Art Centre in Pasadena is probably my first choice because of their new Entertainment Design major. I guess my question is does RingLing have a major comparable to this?

Thank you for the time!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can do illustration with a minor in visual development.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aguilas990 View Post
    Thanks a lot to all the current students for posting here. In general, do you find that the general attitude at Ringling is as cooperative and willing to help as you guys show on this forum? Or are you guys kind of the exception rather than the rule? I know some art schools can be really competitive and somewhat "mean spirited" but I don't get that impression about Ringling from my visit or from these types of threads.

I hope that made sense!
    Everyone including the administration, staff, and students are all MORE than willing to help you with any questions that you have. Even if you ask someone who might not know the answer, they will definitely refer you to someone who does! And just an FYI, Ringling mostly uses email to communicate. You are more likely to get a quick response via email than on the phone. I've actually had email conversations with admissions where it seemed like an instant message chat!

Also, check out the Ringling groups on Facebook.com!

In my experience, I have been very surprised by how helpful and pleasant everyone here at Ringling is. It's a very welcoming environment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there everyone my name is James, I'm 20, spent a little bit of time in the 2008 thread. I am applying to Ringling for Computer Animation in 2009 so it's great to meet people with the same goal. Currently I am working my butt off to improve my skills, I am drawing as much as I can so I look forward to sharing information with you all. Getting into Ringling is a very important goal for me.

I agree with copperfire that people should post the links to their accepted portfolios, that would be so helpful.

Good luck to all the Ringling freshman that are going in next week.

Oh yeah and thanks Milencov for making this thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heyo, senior CA here. I was wondering when this thread would start up for the 2009 hopefuls lol.

I feel compelled to give a bit of a warning about Ringling. It's not for everyone. Ringling has a specific goal in mind and prospective students should think carefully and see if that goal is in line with their own. Now that that's outta the way...

Ringling is a commercial art school. The most important thing here is how to make yourself marketable to companies. Even Fine Art is commercial, to a degree. If that is what you're looking for, then great! However, for some artists, the atmosphere leaves them wanting a more enriching environment. Realizing that you're only here to train yourself to work for a company can be disillusioning to those in need of soul-searching.

I can only speak for CA though. But here is what I can say about the program. IT'S TOUGH AS BALLS. Not to scare you, but it is my honest opinion that if you do not have the passion for animation, the curriculum will eat you alive. Ask yourself this question, "Can I imagine myself doing anything else for a living?". If the answer is 'no', you may be able to succeed in CA. But, if the answer is 'yes', I'd have to strongly suggest that you look into other opportunities. If you have any doubts about succeeding as a CG artist, listen to those doubts very carefully. You were born with the greatest alarm system in the world, your gut. Think about those doubts and really give them consideration.

Now, I know it sounds a bit mean-spirited, but it's the truth. CA students spend an inordinate amount of time in the labs working on animations because it just demands a long time to do anything. The only way we are actually able to slog through is with that passion; that knowledge that one day it'll all pay off and we'll be living high and mighty at Pixar(exaggerating of course ). It will be absolutely miserable if you have any doubts about CG as a career. So, please think long and hard about going into CA.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

"So now we have modeled something that will get us nowhere in life"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i had a question about recommendation letters, it states on the Ringling website "Ringling College does not use a standardized recommendation form." does this mean i need to download somewhere on the site a paper with Ringling's own form? If so could you direct me to a link? As i understand with the recommendation letter you must attach a paper for the writer to fill in, tick boxes and such. Where can i get this? Sorry for the confusion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboslutstien View Post
    I agree with copperfire that people should post the links to their accepted portfolios, that would be so helpful.
    psst. check the accepted portfolio thread if you haven't already, there's a few ringling portfolios there, mostly ca.

Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6