Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls - Page 9

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey one of my friends are applying this year, and his grades aren't.. Up to par, shall I say. Will it effect his chances of getting into ringling? His portfolio is great. He wants to get into the game art, and design major.

Sketch page coming soon.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Depends, if he has at least a 2.0 its ok. If hes below 2.0 ...which...is a hard thing to even get.... he wont be elegible. He should probably email though, I'm telling you from what i read. Seriously though, a 2.0 acceptance GPA is so low! and really hard to find many universities that accept that. wtf did he do everyday?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanemeh View Post
    Hey one of my friends are applying this year, and his grades aren't.. Up to par, shall I say. Will it effect his chances of getting into ringling? His portfolio is great. He wants to get into the game art, and design major.
    Well what is his GPA? I graduated with a 3.0 and I felt like that wasn't up to par at all but I still got in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, I'm not sure how competitive game art is compared to CA. If he has an excellent portfolio they might look the other way. Chances are though, regardless, he'll most likely be exempt from any scholarships. Although, stranger things have happened. Obviously if he has a GPA below 2.0 there's no chance. Anything higher should be alright.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a GPA of 2.8 in high school, I visited Ringling and they said that it would likely hurt my chances of being accepted. I was told something in the 3's would be better. Anyway he suggested going to a community college for a while to show I could do better academically. As of now my GPA is a 3.75. Good thing is if your friend does this he will knock out a few of his liberal arts credits while boosting his GPA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    Hmmm, I'm not sure how competitive game art is compared to CA. If he has an excellent portfolio they might look the other way. Chances are though, regardless, he'll most likely be exempt from any scholarships. Although, stranger things have happened. Obviously if he has a GPA below 2.0 there's no chance. Anything higher should be alright.
    Something like a 2.2, or a 2.4.

Sketch page coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your GPA has to be pretty high to possibly get scholarship money. Mine was a 3.2 and the admissions councelor said that it was barely good enough to be eligable. bleh

That's always frustrated me, why can't it all be about the art? If you think about it, GPA is mostly a reflection of how well you can temporarily memorize word searches about unrelated subjects. Why so much emphasis?

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something like a 2.2, or a 2.4.
    In that case it might be a good idea for him to go the community college route. I'm thinking Ringling might look at his grades and predict he'll do the same here. He might be a very hard worker once he's here, but they don't know that. So far I have yet to meet anyone here in CA or Game Arts who got in with an average below 2.7. But once again, if his portfolio is amazing and his essay is well written, who knows. I'd suggest he talk to someone in admissions for a sure fire answer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    That's always frustrated me, why can't it all be about the art? If you think about it, GPA is mostly a reflection of how well you can temporarily memorize word searches about unrelated subjects. Why so much emphasis?
    Well, I would think it has to do with the hard work factor. If someone has a high GPA, you better bet they studied and worked hard to get it. I have a 3.8 GPA myself and I'd say it was difficult with AP classes in high school. I think it's great that Ringling rewards hard work with money to help pay for college. Besides, Ringling is a legit school. You have to have liberal arts, etc. However, they put an artistic twist on a lot of classes here, a major difference from regular colleges. You study things that will be helpful to you in some way or another, like art history. It's not about memorizing and test taking, it's the building of the mind and the execution of said mind that helps you get ahead in life. It's why we all go to school. To learn.

Then again, it's just my opinion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In that case it might be a good idea for him to go the community college route. I'm thinking Ringling might look at his grades and predict he'll do the same here. He might be a very hard worker once he's here, but they don't know that. So far I have yet to meet anyone here in CA or Game Arts who got in with an average below 2.7. But once again, if his portfolio is amazing and his essay is well written, who knows. I'd suggest he talk to someone in admissions for a sure fire answer.
    Alright. He was probably going to turn the community college route anyways. He just wanted to try to apply this year. Hmm.

Sketch page coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I would think it has to do with the hard work factor. If someone has a high GPA, you better bet they studied and worked hard to get it. I have a 3.8 GPA myself and I'd say it was difficult with AP classes in high school. I think it's great that Ringling rewards hard work with money to help pay for college. Besides, Ringling is a legit school. You have to have liberal arts, etc. However, they put an artistic twist on a lot of classes here, a major difference from regular colleges. You study things that will be helpful to you in some way or another, like art history. It's not about memorizing and test taking, it's the building of the mind and the execution of said mind that helps you get ahead in life. It's why we all go to school. To learn.

I 100% agree that it is important for the college to know that you are a hardworker, but again, it all goes back to the portfolio. If your portfolio is good, then you are a hard worker. But it shows you are a hard worker in something relevant to your goals. Shouldn't a college of art and design reward those who worked hard in developing their skills in... art and design? What a concept.

As for building the mind, I agree, but aren't your portfolio and essay also a reflection of that? Also, what was the date of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki? You probably don't remember, right? But you said our education builds our minds, which I agree with, but if you can't remember doesn't that mean it isn't building your mind? No, because the building of our minds isn't based on statistics, dates and other things you temporarily memorize, which is exactly what your GPA is a reflection of.

Not to mention, most of our life experiences and things that will aid us as artists happen outside of textbooks. For example, I spent 6+ years studying sleight of hand card magic in depth. From that, I learned tons and tons of things that will aid me as an artist. What credit do I get for this? Nothing. What's the difference between studying magic and studying algebra as far as being an artist goes? Nothing, except you get credit for studying algebra.

I hate to say this, but I know former fellow art students from high school that just went off to art college. They both had very high GPA's, but it's gonna be a real slap in the face when they realize those thousands of hours they spent cradling their precious GPA's will amount to... nothing. A hard, cold slap.

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright. He was probably going to turn the community college route anyways. He just wanted to try to apply this year. Hmm.
    He should still give it a shot. Worst case scenario is he's rejected. Best case scenario, he gets accepted. In which case, he also has the option to defer his admission for two years. If I'm right, that should be long enough to cover two years at a junior college. He can then take 2d design, 3d design, art history, english, and figure drawing classes, and he'll have his core all set

Granted, he won't be eligible for the 10k scholarship, but...he'll be able to take awesome classes (from what I hear).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboslutstien View Post
    I had a GPA of 2.8 in high school, As of now my GPA is a 3.75.

Wait. All these GPA's w'ere talking about.... does ringling want a 3.0 ACCUMULATIVE to get it, or simply the semester in which you apply? Because accumulative i suck balls, i have a 2.8 or something... semester wise its been 3.5-3.78 for all of last year and this year something along the 3.4's and 5's. Its just that i majorly f*d up in freshman year. I really want a scholarship but i dont know if i can boost my GPA to a 3.0 with one semester.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Colleges will take into account recent grades if you have improved so yes, having good grades your senior year will help you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can relate. In high school, while I wasn't a Jeff Spicoli high off my ass ordering pizza to my classroom, I wasn't as focused as I should have been. Unfortunately it wasn't until after I graduated that I was hit with the harsh reality of life, in order to get by you need to try hard, real hard. Either way, as of right now I am definately on the right track I think, but it is frusterating that my performance three years ago may effect how I am percieved now.

I think they look mainly at your accumulative, but I would hope that they would take your most recent grades into account. It is impressive to see someones grades do a complete one eighty for the better. I know from experence that it takes certain people a little bit longer for things to click.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I would think it has to do with the hard work factor. If someone has a high GPA, you better bet they studied and worked hard to get it. I have a 3.8 GPA myself and I'd say it was difficult with AP classes in high school. \
    Unfortunately, I've never had to work hard for my high grades... i have a 3.7 currently and I probably do about an hour of homework a week which includes 'studying'....and its not that I'm taking easy classes, i will graduate with about 20 college credits...plus 3 AP classes...i say unfortunately because i know this is going to come back to bite me in college...

Also, if anyone has a cure for senioritis, i would LOVE to hear about it...cuz im only 1/8 of the school year and i feel like i'm going mad spending another year in high school [ like i am almost getting physically ill just thinking about spending another year there].... im doing all the things people tell you to do...but i have no more classes to take [like there are NO more options for me at my high school] even though im taking AP classes they are still ridiculously easy.... im signed up for a couple college classes next semester, but that's a while away... i'm also staying busy working almost every free night i have but it hasn't been working...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Question for the current students: Are any of y'all in the Game art and design program or have any friends in it? I'd like to get in contact with you/them so if you can help me out send me a PM!

Thanks much

Last edited by aguilas990; September 26th, 2008 at 05:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ember42 View Post
    Unfortunately, I've never had to work hard for my high grades... i have a 3.7 currently and I probably do about an hour of homework a week which includes 'studying'....and its not that I'm taking easy classes, i will graduate with about 20 college credits...plus 3 AP classes...i say unfortunately because i know this is going to come back to bite me in
    there really is no need to show off on the internet. Why would it come back and bite you?!

Does anyone know if the 3.0 needed for scholarships is accumulative??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 5coop View Post
    there really is no need to show off on the internet. Why would it come back and bite you?!

Does anyone know if the 3.0 needed for scholarships is accumulative??
    Depends if you come from a Florida high school there's are major scholarship called bright futures that you need over a 3.0 for.

Sketch page coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

it will come back to bite me cuz i don't know how to study or how to manage time...at all...and its not just me, the majority of my school is the same way...i dont feel that am that well prepared, especially at an art school where the homework is piled on...

and i'm just saying that for some schools getting a high grade point is not that hard as in the class that graduated before me, anything below a 3.5 and you were in the bottom half of your class...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well you're lucky then nothing to complain about at least half the struggle isnt hard. Our school is SO hard. On the first day of school we tipically recieve 3 pop quizzes. A test at least 3 times a week. and having a 4.0 is really hard. In fact i think the highest is a 3.8-- im really worried because i have weird grades

freshman i was in the 1.__ category. Sophmore in the 2.__ category. Junior i was 3.5-3.78 and now i think ill be at a 3.4/5 this first quarter if not a little lower because our math teacher is really a pain this year, she gives us tests on 8 chapters..simultaneously. I mean, my grades "outline" is a sloping line so thats deff a good thing, but because of my freshman year my overall GPA is in the 2.6/8 category. And i really want to be elegible for scholarship

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eh, my first high school wasn't too hard, at first but when I started AP classes I was overwhelmed, but I adjusted and did fairly well. And then when I changed schools in the middle of the semester -.- which was a bad idea, screwed with my GPA and mind.
    Emeber42: To get rid of senioritis, I guess is to just realize that this is your last year of slacking off. I understand the urge to leave the mess called high school. Just challenge yourself in your classes and make it more interesting for yourself, I would suggest drawing what you're learning about or something. I am currently taking on mmm 5 major art projects at this time, not including any little sidetracks I decide to indulge in, and my story that I should work on. Or just relax. Whatever suits you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FearSelf View Post
    Emeber42: To get rid of senioritis, I guess is to just realize that this is your last year of slacking off. I understand the urge to leave the mess called high school. Just challenge yourself in your classes and make it more interesting for yourself, I would suggest drawing what you're learning about or something. I am currently taking on mmm 5 major art projects at this time, not including any little sidetracks I decide to indulge in, and my story that I should work on. Or just relax. Whatever suits you.
    Thanks for the advice, i think i'll try some of that...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha I'm taking it pretty easy at high school. I hardly ever have homework so now i am taking a figure drawing class after school.

http://kedrewdraws.blogspot.com

My Adventures at Ringling ^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Am I The Only One That Has To Study From 10am To 6pm?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're studying from 10 am to 6pm..... when are you actually in class? lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aguilas990 View Post
    If you're studying from 10 am to 6pm..... when are you actually in class? lol
    lol thats funny...

http://kedrewdraws.blogspot.com

My Adventures at Ringling ^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i mean on saturday and sunday. i finish class at 3:15 and actually study from 4:30 to 7 thats really queer. and its not that im stupid or something, some people study even more im like...the lowest on hours. Then again every year 75-80% of our students are accepted in ivy league schools.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Then again every year 75-80% of our students are accepted in ivy league schools.
    Thats why... i go to a rural school in the middle of nowhere, if you even go out of state, its a big deal...

i have friend who thinks that because she got accepted to one of the best private colleges in Iowa, that she can get into almost anywhere now...its kind of funny....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i mean on saturday and sunday. i finish class at 3:15 and actually study from 4:30 to 7 thats really queer. and its not that im stupid or something, some people study even more im like...the lowest on hours. Then again every year 75-80% of our students are accepted in ivy league schools.
    Wow. It's like .5% of our students get into ivy league schools here.

Sketch page coming soon.

Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6