Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls - Page 7

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Telefunker View Post
    Well that's somewhat of a relief. Now for my next question. I read a little further down that there are a few extra classes that are going to be required on top of the usual sophomore credit. It seems like it may be difficult and maybe a total killer without some good organization of time. Do you think there would be any possibility of doing these courses and also managing a job at the same time? Or is that a bit over-ambitious?

Also. Does anyone attending find it more economical to live off-campus or to just stay in the dorms? And if a transfer student were to live on campus, a meal plan would be required, right? Also. Students in the RA program have a reduced rate for room and board, correct? I'm sure these questions have been answered already but I just want to double check.
    To answer a few of your questions (from someone with first hand knowledge). Depending upon your Major, working may or may not be a good thing. If your going into CA or Gaming, you can maybe work your freshmen year with no problems, but sophmore year may be a difficult if not impossible thing, junior and senior year, its out of the question. Any other major is perhaps more job friendly - but I could be wrong. Living off campus with roomates in much cheaper than living on campus, but you do miss out on the campus feel that dorms provide. I did both - off and on campus. I like living on campus for the access to the labs etc, but I did miss my own space and freedoms. Next year I'm living off campus.

BTW when are you prospective wannabeez going to make a new Ringling thread? Chop Chop hop to it

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the new thread... 2009 hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DoH!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But if you live off campus you can't get that covered in a loan right?

- I guess it would work if you could find a good enough job to pay for the rent right off the bat. Thats what I'm doing with my current situation but my job is extra-ordinarily cushey for a college students so finding one over there might be hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxdel
    But if you live off campus you can't get that covered in a loan right?
    Yes you can! Most loans cover all education-related expenses, and that includes housing, whether on-campus or no. Check out your lender's policies to be sure.

I'm another speaking from experience: yes, holding a job after freshman year is difficult. It's possible, if you're dedicated; I know juniors who are working. But semesters get pretty intense pretty quick here. I held an 8-10 hour a week job the fall of sophomore year pretty comfortably, but in the middle of spring semester I had to quit; it just became too much. It really depends on your work ethic and your choices. And it's not much consolation, but there are on-campus jobs available.

Transfers and meal plans: this depends on your residence. Students in the freshman dorms (Student Center, Idelson, Harmon, Appleton, and Keating) are required to have a meal plan. If you're in upperclassman housing (the apartments and houses), the meal plan is optional. Most transfers are put in upperclassman housing (which is typically for students 19 and older), but occasionally they are placed in freshman housing and must take a meal plan.

RAs get free room and board.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nilaffle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I work on campus, and I haven't had a problem so far. That may change as the semester progresses...but now it's just fine. As Nilah has said, I know other juniors/seniors that have worked and scraped by. Granted, you will in no way be able to work a full time job. You, at best, will be able to squeeze in a 5-10 hour a week job. 10 is pushing it.

Also know that RA Positions are fairly competitive. This past year 60+ people applied, and there were only about 3 spots for traditional freshmen. If you are non traditional, you have a better shot. Ringling is opening up a good deal of new housing, but those positions will be filled by current students. Considering that the majority of the new hires will probably be current freshmen, the bulk of the RAs will be young, which will mean that there will not be a lot of new ones for a while since positions will be filled based on graduating seniors.

And just FYI, the Meal Plan comes out to $120-$150 a week. I spend $30-$50 a week on groceries. Once you get off that meal plan, things get much cheaper.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thesinfulsaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

craigslist

Hey guys.
    I know that many of the people here are looking for a place to do figure drawing for your portfolio pieces, experience etc. I had signed up for a course starting next week to receive a call last night that it was canceled due to lack of applicants. Anyway, I was really counting on this course to beef up my portfolio with life pieces and this news pissed me off!

After searching everywhere in my area and finding only a few figure groups that didn't fit my schedule or honestly seemed strange(ie. the male model only figure group that runs out of some old man's apartment ). I basically came to the conclusion that my city is completely devoid of any life drawing groups.

So this morning I decided instead of checking craigslist for figure drawing. I would post an ad in where people can send me their group es, classes, drop ins, whatever. It's been about five hours and I have received responses with info on about 7 different drop in groups so far at various art galleries.

Anyway I thought this might be a good formula for anyone who is desperately looking for a place to do figure drawing. In the ad just let them know your a student looking to beef up your portfolio and you should get some responses!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Telefunker View Post
    Also, I saw that whole Dr. Sketchy thing that jimboslutstien posted a few pages back. Have you ever been to any of the sessions? How were they in your area? I'm considering going to one of the ones nearby but I'm not too sure I want to be alone in the city at night.
    Hey Telefunker, I have not been to any of the sessions. As you might know its not a really traditional approach to figure drawing. I am under the impression that the models are dressed up like burlesque dancers, wich sounds pretty cool. It might be a little bit more edgy, so I mean it's not really a traditional art environment. On the bright side you will probably come out with some interesting work, as they have some interesting models. I am thinking about going to one of them, if I do attend I will definatlely let you know how it turns out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So you went to craigslist to find the figure drawing classes? Under what category and how do you post? I'm not very familiar with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FearSelf View Post
    So you went to craigslist to find the figure drawing classes? Under what category and how do you post? I'm not very familiar with it.
    Wow, I never thought about doing that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FearSelf View Post

At the main page there are all the category's. Look under community and click the artist's section. There you can post, and also there may already be ads for figure drawing sessions/classes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, the application does require an essay. However, there is no mention of it anywhere except on the application itself. Also, the online application doesn't seem to work yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also in regard to working, I'm currently working at Outback Steakhouse, and man did it take a bit to get there, for those of you looking to get a job off-campus, I wouldn't expect to get one until October, September is Sarasota's slow month, so hiring is very very slim to come by off campus, I had to go through hiring processes through 3 different outbacks and the third outback finally gave me a job, and I'm a transfer, who is pretty high up in the ranks there as well. But working so far, has not been hard to manage, but I imagine next year is when it will start to get difficult for me, if not next semester when I start my major. Learn time management, its a good skill. Basically make sure you come with a decent amount of money even if you plan to work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    Okay, the application does require an essay. However, there is no mention of it anywhere except on the application itself. Also, the online application doesn't seem to work yet.
    Now the question becomes dose that mean don't bother doing one they wont read it or are they saying no you don't have to do one but you probably should any way?

The only reason I would think they would stop requiring it is because they don't want to have to go through all of them. I would rather not wast my time perfecting one when I could be putting all that time and energy into my portfolio. But this also is kind of bad news in a way because the essay is a real important like I said before it gives you a chance to sell yourself beyond just what your work says about you. which would mean you would have to set your portfolio to a theme about yourself and look at that one figure drawing drawing you like so much and go now what dose this naked person say about me.

Any way if any one has any thoughts on this id love to here them. As my adviser has told me if your essay was something you just cranked out in 2 hours and you letters of recommendation are only good enough then by the time they get to your portfolio your already a strike 2.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Online application is up, good luck to everybody !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for the tips. My roommate here who is also an art major is thinking about applying as well. If we both get in we are probably going to share a two bedroom apartment in Sarasota; and try to find a job on campus or otherwise to share the rent. If either one of us doesn't get in then the other one will probably be up for looking for someone to share an apartment with.

Question about portfolio's though - If I try to apply as a Sophmore with some core studio credit out of the way will it hurt my chances at getting accepted. Say I send in 15 pieces of art and its not good enough to get me in with the core credit; will Ringling accept me but tell me I need to retake the core studio classes or will they just deny me acceptance? Would I be more likely to get accpeted just sending 10 pieces as a freshmen and applying without the core studio credit? Or do I HAVE to send 15 pieces of art as a transfer student no matter what?

My generals should be taken care of I'm just nervious about the core studio classes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxdel
    Question about portfolio's though - If I try to apply as a Sophmore with some core studio credit out of the way will it hurt my chances at getting accepted. Say I send in 15 pieces of art and its not good enough to get me in with the core credit; will Ringling accept me but tell me I need to retake the core studio classes or will they just deny me acceptance? Would I be more likely to get accpeted just sending 10 pieces as a freshmen and applying without the core studio credit? Or do I HAVE to send 15 pieces of art as a transfer student no matter what?
    I suppose my first question is, how important is entering with sophomore status to your decision to attend? If you're accepted as a freshman, will you decide not to attend Ringling? If so, then I would recommend reviewing your intended major's first-year requirements and contacting Admissions to find out the likelihood of your transfer credit exempting you from freshman year.

You don't apply as a sophomore. You apply as a first-time college student or a transfer; that's it. If you have college credit (regardless of whether you're still in college or have left), you apply as a transfer. It is up to Admissions to decide whether you have enough credits, and a strong enough portfolio, to be given sophomore status. And sometimes, this decision is made pretty late (depending on your major and the situation).

Focus on putting together a portfolio that will get you accepted. I don't recommend applying with the explicit goal of entering as a sophomore. Better to assume that you will be entering as a freshman. You have to send in your high school/college transcripts anyway, so don't worry about what status you need to apply as. Admissions will work that out themselves. And no, Ringling is not going to reject you because you want to be a sophomore and don't meet the requirements. Every application requires the same materials and is reviewed against the same guidelines. Transfer credits and those details are worked out after you have been accepted.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nilaffle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok thanks for answering my question. Sorry for bugging you all I'm just nervous and I get a bit OCD about this sort of stuff. From what I understand is that I have to send at least 15 pieces because I'm a transfer student but that doesn't mean I'm applying for the core studio credit or to enter as a sophomore.

Thanks,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sryker View Post
    Now the question becomes dose that mean don't bother doing one they wont read it or are they saying no you don't have to do one but you probably should any way?
    You are required to do an essay, and you definitely should take the time to do it well. It's certainly less important than your portfolio, but according the animation department head, essays are the deciding factor for several students a year. Especially if your going for animation, it's important to show that you can write well, and an essay can show things your portfolio can't.

The fact that the essay isn't mentioned elsewhere on the site is probably just the result of a mistake while putting up the new page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, I understand your dilemma now. You only need to send in 15 pieces if you're applying with studio art credit. If you have the credit, then I definitely recommend sending in the 15 pieces. Sending in five extra pieces won't hurt your chances, just as long as it's all good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboslutstien View Post
    At the main page there are all the category's. Look under community and click the artist's section. There you can post, and also there may already be ads for figure drawing sessions/classes.
    Ah, yes, thank you. I already found something somewhat near here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nilaffle - heh sorry, I was having a hard time stating my exact question. Thanks for clearing that up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are required to do an essay, and you definitely should take the time to do it well. It's certainly less important than your portfolio, but according the animation department head, essays are the deciding factor for several students a year. Especially if your going for animation, it's important to show that you can write well, and an essay can show things your portfolio can't.

The fact that the essay isn't mentioned elsewhere on the site is probably just the result of a mistake while putting up the new page.

Mhmm, it'd be interesting if people posted their essays, just to see the variety of them.

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    Mhmm, it'd be interesting if people posted their essays, just to see the variety of them.
    That's a great idea ! although, they would really load up the page...I know mine is pretty long

Last edited by copperfire; September 17th, 2008 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    That's a great idea ! although, they would really load up the page...I know mine is pretty long
    How many words is yours? I know it says minimum 250, but I was also trying to not write a novel, ya know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been browsing the Ringling forums for a while, but I haven't bothered joining them until now, as I am actually applying this year...

I really need help with preparing for the portfolios... I would greatly appreciate any critique on them....

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=137157 <-sketchbook thread...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish I had my essay with me. If I recall, I wrote about my inspirations throughout my life. It kinda centered around the usual...Jurassic Park, Saturday morning cartoons, and Disney movies. Although I did write about one fellow early in my life. He always ate at this one restaurant I went to and he carried around this huge bag of art supplies. I think I'd consider that guy my first art teacher. And come to think of it...he was a bit creepy. But! I learned to love drawing and he was one of the major influences that made me want to do art for a living.

My essay wasn't too long...I think it was about 300 or so words. Definitely no more than a page, single spaced. Think more about the content than the actual length. If you're brave, you can drop a page-long F bomb on your essay. Supposedly that got someone into Harvard . Actually, don't do that. I'm afraid someone might actually take me up on that.

It is important however, to separate yourself from the pack. Make the essay interesting to read and show them what kind of a person you are. Don't be afraid to infuse it with humor and personality. Make it out of the ordinary

"So now we have modeled something that will get us nowhere in life"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sorry about that I somehow misread your post.

But any way I was also told that you should try to keep your essay under a page since they go through so many and its best to aim for quality over quantity.

Also great idea about the essays and if your going to post one it would probably be best to attach it as a txt file so the thread does not fill up as copperfire pointed out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first experience with art was a tasty one. Of course I soon realized that crayons were not just for eating and that the picture of the pig on the back was not an indicator of flavor. Art influences our choices, habits, and our everyday lives, but most importantly, art moves us.

Art is everywhere you go. It’s in every advertisement, telling you what to buy and using colors to captivate you. It’s the entertainment you watch, it’s the cartoon you loved as a kid. Without art and design, we would have no need for words like modern. There would be no difference between the sleek smooth image of an Apple computer and the heavy black bulk of a type writer. Society depends on art and design to move it forward through time, giving every decade a face.

Art is also a major factor in politics. A war poster can reflect horror, or echo national pride. Where would the influence of propaganda be without the help of art? Without the design behind political parties, where would the elephant and the donkey be? Our very political identities would be moot.

So how has art and design influenced me in particular? The fact is it depends on what your idea of art is. I was never really interested in looking at the “masters” growing up. It was the easy access to a specific form of art that influenced my urge to create. And it’s still the number one influence for every kid in America, cartoons. I soon began trying to create movement myself using flip books. My whole being would surge with joy watching something that I created come to life, even if it was only for three seconds. And even now I still haven’t out grown my love for animation. Animation still influences my artwork not so much through the redundant design, but the thought. Animation tells a story, but I believe that I could achieve the same effect with just one picture. Whenever I can, I like to create pieces that tell a story about the subject in hopes to generate the same enchanting effect as an animation. Perhaps my artwork will influence someone to pick up a pencil and open their own minds, contributing to the never ending cycle of inspiration. If one thing is true about the art influence, it is that art is a language that few can understand and all can enjoy.

AHhhhhhh!!!! I'm so bad at writing lol, but this is just to give you an idea =3 My essay wasn't too long, I guess there's longer posts on this thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That was great, copperfire! Not bad at all.
    I guess I'm going with a more solemn essay. Probably depress everyone. XO

Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5