Page 7 of 115 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 107 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by votreMEDIA View Post
    well i know that they get paid a lot, im just wondering because my dad is telling me that he wont pay for my college if i go to an art school...and i dont mind have debt for a little while, i just want to have some of that load taken off
    He's likely bluffing, but it's good to prepare for the possibility that he isn't. Obviously, do your best to change his mind. Is he worried you'll end up as a strarving artist (the most common fear, which is why I suggested showing him the statistics) or something else?

And to answer your question, a couple of conceptart people last year got a couple thousand a year scholarships. Can't remember if copperfire was one.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    I have a friend with a similar problem, but as long as it's what you really want to do, then you can overcome any future debt. (that's what I keep telling myself)

Thanks
    VotreMedia, i can kind of relate to you. My parents don't want me to be a "starving artist" either. But really, how much is the average animator salary starting? (40kish?) That sounds not too bad.

Oh, and I know there is only one presidential scholarship for CA but cant you get smaller scholarships? is it also based on portfolio review?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    He's likely bluffing, but it's good to prepare for the possibility that he isn't. Obviously, do your best to change his mind. Is he worried you'll end up as a strarving artist (the most common fear, which is why I suggested showing him the statistics) or something else?

And to answer your question, a couple of conceptart people last year got a couple thousand a year scholarships. Can't remember if copperfire was one.
    i wish that was true lol, but no hes not bluffing. hes so serious that he actually wouldnt let me draw or do any art on the computer for like a month...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie57 View Post
    Aw Votre, your situation is tough. But with determination anything is possible, so don't give up your dream!

May I suggest checking out websites like Fastweb? There are a couple different websites like that which have scholarship search engines. Also, you could meet with an academic counselor if you're still in High School.. I'm sure they could help some too!

i actually just signed up for it, i see a few things i would qualify for. the last art contest that i did was the National auto show and i ended up getting 3rd place, but i only got 100 dollars. i really need something up in the 10k range to make an impact.

Thanks
    well i know that they get paid a lot, im just wondering because my dad is telling me that he wont pay for my college if i go to an art school...and i dont mind have debt for a little while, i just want to have some of that load taken off
    I went through that situation, never give up, keep following your dream, its what you want, not what your parents want, if you want art school you're going to have to work for it, but in the end anything is possible. No one knows really if they will actually pay off their loans, we all just have faith that in the end if we work our hardest, we'll make it through, have a job at the end of it and pay our loans. Yes Ringling does give scholarships the presidential is 10,000 I believe? (Saint would know) if I'm correct and then there are smaller that are a few thousand dollars or so, I received one of those, and look among your community as well, I received 2 scholarships from organizations right in my area, ask your art teachers, they'll know and sometimes you can find the random scholarship on fast web as well, enter competitions, sell your artwork (I ended up making around 600 dollars at my last school art festival and keep on drawing, don't let your father say oh you can't draw. You can draw with a pen and paper, you will have to fight for what you believe in, its difficult, I went through it, It will take hard work, but you can do it and when you finally get here, you will know that it was all worth it, every rough day, every fight with your parents, every rebellion. I did it and now I'm here at Ringling and I couldn't be happier.
    Last edited by Onceuponastar**; August 29th, 2008 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kedrew View Post
    rship for CA but cant you get smaller scholarships? is it also based on portfolio review?
    Yeah, there is one scholarship about half the size of the presidential, and several in the three to five thousand a year range. All are based on overall application (portfolio, grades, ect.), and some may have a need component (can't remember).

Also, good news; if I read the press release correctly, Ringling will be offering twice as much scholarship money this year as last.

Thanks
    i wish that was true lol, but no hes not bluffing. hes so serious that he actually wouldnt let me draw or do any art on the computer for like a month...
    I don't mean to imply that he's joking, but it seems possible that despite his objections now, when he realizes he can't dissuade you, he'll support you.

Of course, you know him better than I. But at least I hope that's what'll happen.

Thanks
    Im so glad my parents support me haha im sorry its just such a weird idea to me, its like a fascist regime in your house. Seriously no parent should force their child to believe/study what they dont want to study. My parents never forced me to adopt a religion, if i ever wanted to like my brother did they fully support his choice. They also fully support that i want to do CA (well i told them the first time when i was in like 2nd grade, then told them i wanted to go to ringling in 6th grade haha) so maybe you have to show your dad you are serious about it. A job you dont enjoy, no matter how much it pays, will in the end make you miserable. Its such a weird idea to me haha i offered my dad i take a loan so my brother wouldnt have problems going to the US aswell (he starts a year after i graduate) but he absolutely refuses. So I'm going there with them paying for it, ill work for a year after i graduate and partly pay for my brothers university. Then he'll pay my parents back. So yeah, why dont you have a man to man conversation with your dad and offer to pay HIM back everything for the university rather than getting a loan which will be harder to pay.

Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    Aww, if only this were a perfect world. Perhaps then we wouldn't have such troubles. I hope a solution presents itself to you votreMEDIA. I don't think anything I could say would help, so just know I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks
    yeah seconded. Hey has anyone here actually FINISHED their portfolio? when do you think youre applying? I'm thinking November or so...

Thanks
    Not even close to finished with mine. I am gonna keep trying to "knock out" the pieces I think are my best work with better ones up until like late December. Then I'll call Ringling and make sure they got it like every day haha.

Thanks
    i kinda had mine done but it was mostly graphic design stuff because that is my second option. i think i will just keep drawing from life and eventually post something up here. also, i wanna thank everyone who is trying to give me advice.

Thanks
    I have two, maybe three pieces for now that I think I am going to include in my portfolio. I am also going to make one page out of some of my best sketchbook work, and another page full of some good gestures. I need a lot more figure work, a couple still lifes (I hate still lifes), and a painting or two. I got a lot of work to do before January rolls around.

Does the portfolio need to be on a CDR, or can you send a printed portfolio because I would much rather do the latter, I currently have access to a sick printer at my job. Also does anyone know how many slides should be included?

Page 7 of 115 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 107 ... LastLast