Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls - Page 6

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Skipping out on Liberal Arts courses isn't a big deal. In fact, if you have AP or transfer credit, use it to your advantage! A number of students take courses through community college over the summer to either open up more space for extra electives or to give themselves more time to work during the school year.

Transfering credit for CORE classes... I'm not sure how I feel about this. If you don't feel like you have a strong enough foundation, you should take the courses. I transferred out of drawing my freshman year, and I got to take a painting class instead. I learned a lot more in my painting class than I would have with the drawing course. It's completely based upon the individual.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How exactly does it work when applying as a sophmore vs freshman? If I apply as a freshman can I still opt out of general classes? I passed the Biology, Euro History, Art History, and English writing AP tests. I'm currently taking Drawing 1, Intro to visual Studies, Color Theory, and Cultural Anthropology. Although with the quality of my current college I wouldn't be entirely opposed to taking the CORE art classes again but would like to be able to opt out of generals. I'll probably take a Math class, 2D design, 3D design, and Japanese 1010 next semester. That might force me to apply as a sophmore right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you just apply as a transfer student and then based on your credits they decide whether or not you enter as a freshman or sophomore. But you can't use your college credits if you apply as a first time freshman.

Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a senior in high school, so I don't really feel like I've had enough teaching yet. I'd like to get a good grounding in foundation courses instead of skipping stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definitely wouldn't want to opt out of the foundational studies class--our high school art program is nothing amazing at all, and I really have almost no experience with traditional media (other than, you know, graphite). D|
    But it would be great to get out of any liberal arts courses I could in college, so I'm trying to figure out what all I can take so that I can take as few liberal arts courses as possible in college.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aguilas990 View Post
    I think you just apply as a transfer student and then based on your credits they decide whether or not you enter as a freshman or sophomore. But you can't use your college credits if you apply as a first time freshman.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure I remember copperfire (maybe it was someone else) saying that they accepted a college course she had taken during the summer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since we're on the subject of transfer credit... I'm currently trying to get into Ringing's computer animation program as a transfer student in fall of 2009.

I'm about to finish with my associates and I was wondering. How many credits/classes do they allow you to transfer? Like for example, I've taken intro to psych up here at the college I'm attending at the moment, as well as a whole buttload of other liberal arts credits. Is it entirely up to admissions what and what transfers? Is there any sort of limit on the amount of credit that actually can transfer? Also, I don't remember seeing any foreign language requirement on the CA curriculum page. Does Ringing offer any foreign language classes? And if so, which ones? I'm currently taking Japanese and I would like to further my studies.

And thinking about all the debt a lot of us might potentially be in is somewhat frightening. But I'm sure that a lot of us posting in this thread are willing to roll up our sleeves and get a little messy.

Also, I saw that whole Dr. Sketchy thing that jimboslutstien posted a few pages back. Have you ever been to any of the sessions? How were they in your area? I'm considering going to one of the ones nearby but I'm not too sure I want to be alone in the city at night.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Telefunker View Post
    I'm about to finish with my associates and I was wondering. How many credits/classes do they allow you to transfer? Like for example, I've taken intro to psych up here at the college I'm attending at the moment, as well as a whole buttload of other liberal arts credits. Is it entirely up to admissions what and what transfers? Is there any sort of limit on the amount of credit that actually can transfer?
    They will accept just about everything except animation classes. There is no limit, though there is no point in transferring more liberal arts classes than the requirement.

Also, I don't remember seeing any foreign language requirement on the CA curriculum page. Does Ringing offer any foreign language classes? And if so, which ones? I'm currently taking Japanese and I would like to further my studies.
    They don't offer any foreign language classes, but they will accept AP Language and language transfer credits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually Ringling does not accept any foreign language transfer credit. They are a bit funny about certain courses. For instance, AP Physics will not transfer even though it seems it should. You'll have to call down to admissions to be sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thesinfulsaint View Post
    Actually Ringling does not accept any foreign language transfer credit. They are a bit funny about certain courses. For instance, AP Physics will not transfer even though it seems it should. You'll have to call down to admissions to be sure.
    Really? I thought I remembered them saying they would accept transfer language credits while I was at pre-college. Guess I was wrong.

And that sucks about AP physics. I'm taking that this year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    Really? I thought I remembered them saying they would accept transfer language credits while I was at pre-college. Guess I was wrong.

And that sucks about AP physics. I'm taking that this year.
    yeah, I took all three ap physics tests... major letdown.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybeth View Post
    yeah, I took all three ap physics tests... major letdown.
    Will Ap Computer science transfer? Because next year I'm taking Ap Gov, Art history, Ap Stats, Ap Euro, Ap 2d design 2 hours, Ap Lit.

Sketch page coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On foreign language classes, I took Spanish for two years in college and Ringling didn't accept any of those credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Telefunker
    Is it entirely up to admissions what and what transfers? Is there any sort of limit on the amount of credit that actually can transfer?
    In your case, if you come in with a completed associate's degree, most likely Ringling will waive the liberal arts requirement. You might even get out of some open elective requirements as well, so extra credits can't hurt I had a ton of credit transfer over, so the only classes I'm required to take are CA classes and one Art History. I only take enough to maintain full time status for my loans.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nilaffle View Post
    I had a ton of credit transfer over, so the only classes I'm required to take are CA classes and one Art History. I only take enough to maintain full time status for my loans.
    With all the credits you transferred, are you going to graduate early or does it still take all 4 years?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanemeh View Post
    Will Ap Computer science transfer? Because next year I'm taking Ap Gov, Art history, Ap Stats, Ap Euro, Ap 2d design 2 hours, Ap Lit.
    don't hold your breath on that one.

gov, art hist, 2d design, and ap lit should all be fine, they transferred in for me. Stats and Euro probably will as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aguilas990
    With all the credits you transferred, are you going to graduate early or does it still take all 4 years?
    I was able to transfer in as a sophomore, so I only have three years. I believe this is still possible with all the majors but CA (I know some transfer sophs in Illustration). With CA it's becoming increasingly difficult. There were no transfer sophomores this year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was actually thinking of applying for the CA program as opposed to the Illustration program. But if I can't get in as a sophomore maybe I should just apply for that program as a freshman with AP credit?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With 8, or so AP classes under my belt would you think I'd be able to transfer in as a sophomore in the CA program?

Sketch page coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With 8, or so AP classes under my belt would you think I'd be able to transfer in as a sophomore in the CA program?
    That depends on how many they accept, but more importantly on space in the program(there is VERY limited space - you have to hope someone dropped or transferred)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shanemeh, you're still in high school right? (I'm assuming from the AP talk)

To transfer as a sophomore to any of Ringling's programs, you will need to have a considerable amount of college credits. The term "transfer" is only applied to students with previous college coursework, not first-time college students. Most of the transfers sophomores have previous degrees, whether Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's, and a good number of us majored in art. You need to have enough transfer credit to skip freshman year - that means all of CORE and a number of liberal arts credits. And in the case of students with degrees, the liberal arts component is waived.

If you pass those guidelines, then the next hurdle is class size. For CA in particular, the number of seats open for each level is set. Typically the max size for the sophomore class is 90 (this year it's a little bigger). You are only given sophomore status if there is room for you. On top of that, the department then needs to create a new Traditional Animation class so that transfer sophomores can catch up with the current sophomores. If there are not enough transfer sophomore candidates to justify a change to the curriculum, they will not grant sophomore status.

A word of warning to those who want to transfer as sophomores: sophomore year is HARD. This goes for all the majors. Generally students begin their major courses in the second semester of freshman year. And unless you are lucky enough to waive all of CORE and liberal arts, there will still be other courses you need to take (last year some of us had to take 3D Design, Art History, or other courses). So when you enter, you will need to catch up on those courses you missed freshman year AND keep up with the sophomore course load. You will save a year, but you will suffer for it. Buyer beware.

Toxdel, you have college credits, yes? Chances are some of those will transfer, so while you'll be entering as a freshman, you will be a transfer student. Thus, that's less courses you have to take, and more time to focus on courses you want to take.

Last edited by nilaffle; September 10th, 2008 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aguilas990
    (there is VERY limited space - you have to hope someone dropped or transferred)
    Just another quick note about this...

For the CA major, there are students every year who drop out for various reasons. Some of those reasons are financial or related to health. Those who drop out for these reasons often try to come back once their problems are solved. If you were hoping to transfer in as a sophomore, understand that these students are going to have first priority in taking the spots.

Really... Don't expect to transfer in as a sophomore. It might actually be a blessing in disguise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shanemeh, you're still in high school right? (I'm assuming from the AP talk)

To transfer as a sophomore to any of Ringling's programs, you will need to have a considerable amount of college credits. The term "transfer" is only applied to students with previous college coursework, not first-time college students. Most of the transfers sophomores have previous degrees, whether Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's, and a good number of us majored in art. You need to have enough transfer credit to skip freshman year - that means all of CORE and a number of liberal arts credits. And in the case of students with degrees, the liberal arts component is waived.

If you pass those guidelines, then the next hurdle is class size. For CA in particular, the number of seats open for each level is set. Typically the max size for the sophomore class is 90 (this year it's a little bigger). You are only given sophomore status if there is room for you. On top of that, the department then needs to create a new Traditional Animation class so that transfer sophomores can catch up with the current sophomores. If there are not enough transfer sophomore candidates to justify a change to the curriculum, they will not grant sophomore status.

A word of warning to those who want to transfer as sophomores: sophomore year is HARD. This goes for all the majors. Generally students begin their major courses in the second semester of freshman year. And unless you are lucky enough to waive all of CORE and liberal arts, there will still be other courses you need to take (last year some of us had to take 3D Design, Art History, or other courses). So when you enter, you will need to catch up on those courses you missed freshman year AND keep up with the sophomore course load. You will save a year, but you will suffer for it. Buyer beware.

Toxdel, you have college credits, yes? Chances are some of those will transfer, so while you'll be entering as a freshman, you will be a transfer student. Thus, that's less courses you have to take, and more time to focus on courses you want to take.

Thanks that made me reconsider that. Also if I do have the previous credits for the liberal arts via ap credits, do I have to take the electives instead, or do I?

Sketch page coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks that made me reconsider that. Also if I do have the previous credits for the liberal arts via ap credits, do I have to take the electives instead, or do I?
    You don't have to, though you do have to take a certain number of classes a semester (four, I think) in order to maintain full time standing, which is important for loans/financial aid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok thanks. You guys have been a huge help. Thanks.

Sketch page coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So the Ringling site currently makes no mention of requiring an essay. Does anyone know if this is an error or intentional change?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was able to transfer in as a sophomore, so I only have three years. I believe this is still possible with all the majors but CA (I know some transfer sophs in Illustration). With CA it's becoming increasingly difficult. There were no transfer sophomores this year.
    Is it the same situation for the GAD degree? Ill be going in with an associate's degree and After all the work i put in to that, I would like to not have to start back a square one.

Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    So the Ringling site currently makes no mention of requiring an essay. Does anyone know if this is an error or intentional change?
    I did not even notice until you said something I cant imagine why they wouldn't have you do one its an important element it gives you a chance to sell your self. any one have any info on this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sryker View Post
    Is it the same situation for the GAD degree? Ill be going in with an associate's degree and After all the work i put in to that, I would like to not have to start back a square one.
    GAD is basically a sub-major of CA. In terms of admissions, transfers, and the like they are effectively identicle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I had a feeling that was the case. but now that i think about it, that extra year would give me a chance to do some paiting classes and sharpen my skill with some drawing classes so its no disaster if i cant get in as a sophmore. also with all the work iv already done i sould be able to hit the ground running wile others have to ajust to the work load.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On foreign language classes, I took Spanish for two years in college and Ringling didn't accept any of those credits.

In your case, if you come in with a completed associate's degree, most likely Ringling will waive the liberal arts requirement. You might even get out of some open elective requirements as well, so extra credits can't hurt I had a ton of credit transfer over, so the only classes I'm required to take are CA classes and one Art History. I only take enough to maintain full time status for my loans.
    Well that's somewhat of a relief. Now for my next question. I read a little further down that there are a few extra classes that are going to be required on top of the usual sophomore credit. It seems like it may be difficult and maybe a total killer without some good organization of time. Do you think there would be any possibility of doing these courses and also managing a job at the same time? Or is that a bit over-ambitious?

Also. Does anyone attending find it more economical to live off-campus or to just stay in the dorms? And if a transfer student were to live on campus, a meal plan would be required, right? Also. Students in the RA program have a reduced rate for room and board, correct? I'm sure these questions have been answered already but I just want to double check.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also. Does anyone attending find it more economical to live off-campus or to just stay in the dorms? And if a transfer student were to live on campus, a meal plan would be required, right?
    Living off campus is cheaper, unless you get an RA position.

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6