Page 6 of 115 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast
Results 66 to 78 of 1492

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls

  1. #66
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 25 Times in 12 Posts
    On the subject of learning 3d before applying to Ringling's Computer Animation Major.

    Before I considered Ringling I had gone to a very intensive year long 3d certificate program and actually studied under a Ringling Grad (that's where I found out about the school). So when I visited I was told by the admissions guy, Eric Kaster to forget everything I learned in maya because the 3d instructors have a very specific way of teaching and don't want students to develop bad habits. He also went as far as to tell me to not mention in my application any former 3d training, as it wont really help my chances of getting into the program.

    On the other hand he did say if you have exceptional 3d skills to include them in your portfolio, and I am talking really awesome stuff. Other than that use the energy and time you would use for learning Maya/Blender etc. to work on beefing up your traditional art skills.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    thanks, thats exactly was i was thinking too. do you have any input on my museum sculpture sketching idea? im guessing that would be a life drawing since it is real life, but im not exactly sure. also, would it be a good idea to throw in a few 3d renders that ive done just to show that i already have some understanding of 3d workflow at a young age
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. #68
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 25 Times in 12 Posts
    Drawing from a sculpture can be very valuable and could make for some good portfolio pieces, but still keep your eye out for any figure drawing classes/groups, you don't want to dominate your portfolio with only statue studies. Craigslist can be a good resource for this, also many local art schools/ community colleges, and even some art galleries will have a weekly figure sesh. You can also sketch your family, friends, or hide in your car on a crowded street and draw strangers that pass by.

    As for 3d renders I would honestly stray away from them, just from what I have heard, but if your really confident with them, maybe take them to a national portfolio day first, if there is a good response id say go for it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,540
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 271 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboslutstien View Post
    On the other hand he did say if you have exceptional 3d skills to include them in your portfolio, and I am talking really awesome stuff. Other than that use the energy and time you would use for learning Maya/Blender etc. to work on beefing up your traditional art skills.
    If it helps people to decide whether to include 3d work, I was told to do so, so you can look at my portfolio to get an idea if your work is good enough to warrant inclusion.

    And VotreMedia, I've tried all the programs I've mentioned, and found Blender the most difficult. Though like I said, the difference isn't huge.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    If it helps people to decide whether to include 3d work, I was told to do so, so you can look at my portfolio to get an idea if your work is good enough to warrant inclusion.

    And VotreMedia, I've tried all the programs I've mentioned, and found Blender the most difficult. Though like I said, the difference isn't huge.
    i guess thats a good thing then lol. me going from a harder program that i taught myself to learn, and going to a class and getting taught by college professors to use an easier program

    Quote Originally Posted by jimboslutstien View Post
    Drawing from a sculpture can be very valuable and could make for some good portfolio pieces, but still keep your eye out for any figure drawing classes/groups, you don't want to dominate your portfolio with only statue studies. Craigslist can be a good resource for this, also many local art schools/ community colleges, and even some art galleries will have a weekly figure sesh. You can also sketch your family, friends, or hide in your car on a crowded street and draw strangers that pass by.

    As for 3d renders I would honestly stray away from them, just from what I have heard, but if your really confident with them, maybe take them to a national portfolio day first, if there is a good response id say go for it.
    that seems like good advice. And there is a portfolio day coming up in november i think, its at kendall college for art and design, about 1 hour from me. I am wondering if Ringling is going to attend it even though it is so far away. I havent been to one before so im not sure about the whole experience yet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  7. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    235
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    Most CA majors don't have much/any prior experience, though it would likely be worthwhile to try out 3d animation in order to make sure you actually enjoy it.

    Of the commonly used general 3d apps, Blender is probably the hardest to learn, than Maya, than Lightwave and 3dsMax. That being said, the difference isn't that huge.

    Ha thanks, I find blender a little confusing...lol. Well I guess i will soon have to post my stuff.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  8. #72
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    366
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboslutstien View Post
    So when I visited I was told by the admissions guy, Eric Kaster to forget everything I learned in maya because the 3d instructors have a very specific way of teaching and don't want students to develop bad habits. He also went as far as to tell me to not mention in my application any former 3d training, as it wont really help my chances of getting into the program.

    ...use the energy and time you would use for learning Maya/Blender etc. to work on beefing up your traditional art skills.

    I feel like I've found a good balance by learning just the Maya interface. I haven't done any real projects in Maya, but I have gone through the lessons it provides. That way I wont be totally in the dark with 3D software, and can hit the ground running when we move into it.
    Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  9. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Florida!
    Posts
    444
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 37 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5coop View Post
    hahaha someone just lifted a huge stone off my chest. But seriously, amazing work. Very inspiring How did you do the first picture of the man laying down? AS IN: the weird spot that changes his color somewhat ...
    Thank you! That was a charcoal drawing of my boyfriend, of course he fell asleep LAWL!!!! The strange color was me taking a picture, lol sorry about that, my reflection got caught in the protective wrapping I had the piece in

    @votreMEDIA- Thank you! X3
    Hmmm that's not a bad idea =D! But I think you'd be better off drawing friends or family, even quick sketches of pets help. However, if you don't have anyone who will sit for you then the statues are a great idea You could get some very nice finished pieces out of it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  10. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tokyo but Italian
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    The strange color was me taking a picture, lol sorry about that, my reflection got caught in the protective wrapping I had the piece in
    it actually really adds to the drawing. I got some pretty nice combinations by taking photos of artwork too! like my first submission, i drew it, took a photo of it, and then added the greenish hue on photoshop. I really love the feeling i got through that process, and i did the whole thing cluelessly i just couldnt find a scanner hahaha
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  11. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Kedrew, i know what you mean, i remember the first time i opened blender for the first time and was overwhelmed, i didnt touch it again for like 3 months, i was more interested in 2d animation back then, but once you really get inspired you can learn a lot. There are so many tutorials out there and forums just like CA to help you out

    thanks for the input copperfire, also, did you get any scholarships from your portfolio, im really trying to get some scholarships cuz my parents dont want me to go to art school and are threatening to not help me fund my education if i choose to go to one...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  12. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,540
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 271 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by votreMEDIA View Post
    thanks for the input copperfire, also, did you get any scholarships from your portfolio, im really trying to get some scholarships cuz my parents dont want me to go to art school and are threatening to not help me fund my education if i choose to go to one...
    May I suggest showing them the average salary figures for animators?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  13. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    well i know that they get paid a lot, im just wondering because my dad is telling me that he wont pay for my college if i go to an art school...and i dont mind have debt for a little while, i just want to have some of that load taken off
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  14. #78
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Aw Votre, your situation is tough. But with determination anything is possible, so don't give up your dream!

    May I suggest checking out websites like Fastweb? There are a couple different websites like that which have scholarship search engines. Also, you could meet with an academic counselor if you're still in High School.. I'm sure they could help some too!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Page 6 of 115 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ringling College of Art and Design 2014 Hopefuls
    By shybox92 in forum ART SCHOOLS & ART EDUCATION
    Replies: 363
    Last Post: April 4th, 2014, 05:35 PM
  2. Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls
    By themegagod in forum ART SCHOOLS & ART EDUCATION
    Replies: 846
    Last Post: May 24th, 2013, 08:59 AM
  3. Ringling College of Art and Design 2012 Hopefuls
    By Randarn in forum ART SCHOOLS & ART EDUCATION
    Replies: 351
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2013, 02:55 PM
  4. Ringling College of Art and Design 2011 hopefuls
    By NewGuy22 in forum ART SCHOOLS & ART EDUCATION
    Replies: 831
    Last Post: August 14th, 2011, 11:25 PM
  5. Ringling College of Art and Design 2010 Hopefuls
    By Azheryn in forum ART SCHOOLS & ART EDUCATION
    Replies: 953
    Last Post: September 20th, 2010, 02:36 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook