Page 5 of 115 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5coop
    Hey Nilah! Sorry ill be 18 hahahah but in CA (hopefully) oh and thanks for the clarification...
    Don't worry, we love our young whippersnappers too.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboslutstien
    Do you know how many older students end up attending vs. straight out of high school kids?
    Roughly 25% of Ringling students are twenties or older.

votre, you might want to check with local community colleges and art centers to see if they offer open drawing sessions with live models. Many will allow high school students to sit in on their sessions. Observational drawing from real life is preferred; even if you can't get a nude model, a clothed one is fine.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    Awww, thank you !
    Not a problem!

I'm gonna be 18, and straight out of high school! I've been too eager to go to college. Yay learning! (I'm a nerd)

Thanks
    I'm going to be 18 also. Drawing technique-wise, I think I stand a chance of being accepted. Also my local university has a figure drawing class this September so I hope that will help out.

Hmm... It is ok for CA majors not having any 3d animating experience prior to entering right? I have done 2d before but not 3d...

Oh and how is Blender comparable to Maya difficulty wise?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kedrew View Post
    Hmm... It is ok for CA majors not having any 3d animating experience prior to entering right? I have done 2d before but not 3d...

Most CA majors don't have much/any prior experience, though it would likely be worthwhile to try out 3d animation in order to make sure you actually enjoy it.

Of the commonly used general 3d apps, Blender is probably the hardest to learn, than Maya, than Lightwave and 3dsMax. That being said, the difference isn't that huge.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MM Howard View Post
    Basically summing up your portfolio: Wow.

Thank you!

You're work is very nice as well; probably more appropriate for animation. I've got to find subject matter that expresses movement more like yours. Right now I have mostly still objects.
    Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    Yeah, your portfolio is like *head explodes* er, wait there's an emoticon for that. Yeah, your portfolio is like pld:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post

If anyone's interested, my sketchbook was essentially the portfolio I turned in last year to be accepted as an Illustration major.

See you guys around!
    Quote Originally Posted by 5coop View Post
    my confidence in my portfolio is pretty low although i have received positive reviews with every university...i dont know just not a lot of self confidence in traditional art
    ok SEE thats what im talking about HAHAHAHA your work is awesome man you will have no problems

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5coop View Post
    i had a question about recommendation letters, it states on the Ringling website "Ringling College does not use a standardized recommendation form." does this mean i need to download somewhere on the site a paper with Ringling's own form? If so could you direct me to a link? As i understand with the recommendation letter you must attach a paper for the writer to fill in, tick boxes and such. Where can i get this? Sorry for the confusion
    ello, im speaking from my experience, so:

Just have your recommendee write your recommendation on some type of letter head, and send that in. When they say they don't use a standardized form, it means, they don't have a pre-set form for you to use. So you just "make your own" in a sense.

rawr.

Goodluck everybodyyyy~ Ringling is great so far! Except the Cove is too far. >.< lol.

Luckily for you guys, if you get accepted, they are making new dorms, and it will be finished for 2009. Wheeeee, I want dibs there!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimm View Post
    ello, im speaking from my experience, so:

Just have your recommendee write your recommendation on some type of letter head, and send that in. When they say they don't use a standardized form, it means, they don't have a pre-set form for you to use. So you just "make your own" in a sense.

Luckily for you guys, if you get accepted, they are making new dorms, and it will be finished for 2009. Wheeeee, I want dibs there!
    Hey thanks a lot! Yeah i also got in contact with Amy Fischer so she was kind enough to link me to some presets so i dont waste time

Yeah they told me about the new dorms when i visited sounds awesome although the dorms i saw in the main building were not bad at all! Maybe the lounge being next to the rooms will be a little loud---hard to sleep at night haha.

Hey did anyone write their essay for the application?250 word minimum is WAAAAY too little to understand a student. I mean all we can pretty much say is "yes (2 sentences) no (2 sentences) thank you (no period or it reaches the limit) " but obviously they receive a lot of applicants so it makes sense.

I picked number 4 although its probably likely to change by Sept 1st, i already wrote it but I'm in the 320 region after cutting half of it down I'd be curious to see some accepted examples although they dont play such a crucial role and i wouldn't want to be influenced by it. So hahah never mind...sorta...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kedrew View Post
    I'm going to be 18 also. Drawing technique-wise, I think I stand a chance of being accepted. Also my local university has a figure drawing class this September so I hope that will help out.

i havent had much experience in using maya but i will be next year when i start my second year in this technical vocational program that i do with my school.
    What i do know is that maya's interface is very hard to get used to in the beginning but that is pretty much what you should expect when using 3d applications, which is why there are so many keyboard shortcuts, but yeah, blender is a very good choice if you are just trying to get a feel of what the development of 3d project is like. Blender is open source so its free and there is a huge community of people constantly releasing new content for it, and there are new versions available every few months. It is also compared to lightwave 3d a lot because of its interface, which is pretty nice and easy to use. also, blender has a game engine and there are a lot of tutorials online to help you get started. i have a game im working on actually called "Mercenary's Quest" you can check it out on youtube if you want, just to see what type of quality can be created with blender.

basically, if you are interested in 3d modeling, animation, game development but you cant afford mainstream software, o you dont wanna deal with the big ass watermark that is printed on all of your renders then download blender

Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    Most CA majors don't have much/any prior experience, though it would likely be worthwhile to try out 3d animation in order to make sure you actually enjoy it.

Of the commonly used general 3d apps, Blender is probably the hardest to learn, than Maya, than Lightwave and 3dsMax. That being said, the difference isn't that huge.
    i wouldnt say that blender is the hardest to use, im only 17 now and i can produce some pretty high quality models/animations and renders and i never took a class. i selftaught myself with tutorials and getting help from the online community

Thanks
    Just a quick update for those of you looking at my sketchbook, I've updated it so it doesn't say I'm applying for Ringling, sorry about the confusion XD It was an accepted portfolio for CA I'm a freshman this year.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    Just a quick update for those of you looking at my sketchbook, I've updated it so it doesn't say I'm applying for Ringling, sorry about the confusion XD It was an accepted portfolio for CA I'm a freshman this year.
    hahaha someone just lifted a huge stone off my chest. But seriously, amazing work. Very inspiring How did you do the first picture of the man laying down? AS IN: the weird spot that changes his color somewhat ...

Thanks
    nice sketchbook, ilove your figure drawings.
    i have a question tho, i live in the detroit area, and i have access to the D.I.A and im wondering if it would be a good idea to sketch sculptures there since i have no naked models to work with

Page 5 of 115 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast