Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls - Page 5

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollesslauds View Post
    Well, I'm not Copperfire (sorry to disappoint), but I can give my two cents about the whole community college thing.
    AW MAN!!!
    Such a disappointment

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    LAWL!!!! They're lookin pretty good at this point

@ votreMEDIA: But to answer your question about the scholarships,
    Nope I didn't get any myself, I keep kicking myself for it too because I had some time to do some nice paintings but I was way too lazy
    I was lucky enough to get about half my education funded though on the account that I'm poor and because I worked my ass off in high school
    right now, im really trying to figure out how im gonna pay for my education because my gpa is about 2.8, i dont think i will qualify for any aid because my parents make too much money, and my parents dont support art school so i have a small chance of going there without scholarships or any aid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by votreMEDIA View Post
    right now, im really trying to figure out how im gonna pay for my education because my gpa is about 2.8, i dont think i will qualify for any aid because my parents make too much money, and my parents dont support art school so i have a small chance of going there without scholarships or any aid
    gamble away their money until they have none and qualify for aid!
    are you a good enough artist for contests? lets see some work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a tough situation you are in. Don't take any courses at Ringling or any other private art school that can be taken at a community college. Your typical foundation art courses and liberal arts credits. These you can pay for yourself by getting a job. If you take these courses very seriously you can improve your art while earning a strong GPA which both will ultimately help you earn more scholarship money. The key here is to show maturity and responsibility so your parents know that their "investment" in you will be appreciated and made the most of.

I can't speak for your parents, but I would think if you showed them how much work you put in to get good grades and fund your own education, your parents might be more willing to make a deal with you to pay for the major classes at art school.

That's all I can think of for now, but don't let anyone force you into something you are not passionate about!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 5coop View Post
    gamble away their money until they have none and qualify for aid!
    are you a good enough artist for contests? lets see some work
    well i dont have anything up now but i will scan a few pictures in later on, i will try and post a few of my digital works also to give you guys an idea of what my 3d modeling skill is like. also, is it true that it is harder to transfer to ringling as a sophmore? if so, im not sure if i really wanna do any classes at a community college

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also, is it true that it is harder to transfer to ringling as a sophmore? if so, im not sure if i really wanna do any classes at a community college
    It's difficult, and often completely impossible. They accept about a hundred and ten freshmen, and by sophmore year they want it down to a hundred. So if less than ten people drop from the program, no slots will be available.

Though tthey will still accept you as a freshmen, and you'll be able to take a lot more electives and work more hours while there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, try scholarships that involve your artwork, make your portfolio completely amazing and perhaps ringling will give you more scholarship money, try on that, look for local scholarships, I was in the same situation you are and I am here right now. I'm here at Ringling, it can be done, nothing is impossible you just have to have faith in it, if plan a can't work, find a plan b, don't give up, if you have to wait a year then wait a year, there is always a way to get to ringling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey i was curious (sorry im drifting away from the votre topic) how do people tackle quick drawings? as in, youre in a coffee shop, you take your sketchbook out and want to draw people that obviously wont stand still--- what do you do to capture the moment? do you draw a quick skeleton, do you go straight in with the drawing? take your camera out hahaha what do you do? i stuggled for the longest time, at first i wouldnt even draw a skeleton i would just draw what i saw but im a slow drawer so it was horrible. Then i gradually decided to sketch every day in the subway since i take it anyways...i sometimes draw a quick skeleton then draw on top what i could remember... does anyone have a good technique?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    5coop, a type of quick sketch like that could be considered a "gesture" drawing. In figure class we study these.. Google image it and you will find some examples. Basically you sketch the general shape of the person to get the idea of what they're doing in a very short period of time. You can use shapes or skeletons to map it quickly if you'd like.

You don't have to get too detailed. Not all of us have photographic memory The more you do, the better and faster you'll get!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey i just want everyone to know that this thread has been really helpful. For the past 6 months, I have slowly come to realize that my degree in Drawing and Painting at a Texas University will not help me in the real world. I have been interested in attending Ringling (specifically the Illustration department) for some time, and just now have made the choice to attend.

Most of my questions have been answered by this thread, especially those regarding transfer credits since I will ineviatibly transfer.

I do have some questions:

How is the Illustration program? Does it prepare you for a career in which you can draw for a living?

Can someone compare SCAD to Ringling? How do their programs differ?

Questin for PirateLord78 Where did you get those statistics for the average debt of a SCAD grad and a Ringling grad? Or if anyone knows where to find those, that would help me and whoever else.

thanks a lot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Equality72521 View Post
    How is the Illustration program? Does it prepare you for a career in which you can draw for a living?
    It's quite possibly the best in the country if you want to do realistic, rather than stylized, illustration. And it prepares you for the real world as much as can be hoped of a college program.

Can someone compare SCAD to Ringling? How do their programs differ?
    The curriculums will be pretty similar, but Ringling has smaller class sizes and somewhat more exclusive admissions (thus, fewer people who can't draw). Ringling also has a reputation (hard to say if it's true or not) for being more demanding than SCAD and hiring more proficient teachers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm... i was thinking, how long would it take to pay back, lets say, 160k in student loans for Ringling? Like for an animator? Concept artist? K thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kedrew View Post
    Hmm... i was thinking, how long would it take to pay back, lets say, 160k in student loans for Ringling? Like for an animator? Concept artist? K thanks!
    You should have no problem keeping your loans under 160k. You can work summers, and to some degree during the year.

That being said, animators will get starting level wages between 40 and 60k. Cost of living and interest will dictate how long it takes to pay back the loan.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    160k in student loans?! It wouldn't be that much. I only got around 25k in student loans this year and that gave me 4,000 extra (I ended up lowering my meal plan.. made a HUGE difference.). So next year I wont even need that much. Plus next year it will be easier to get scholarships (I was out of school for a year and many scholarships require you to be a current student to apply).

And don't forget about work-study!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can any Ringling student that has graduated tell us if they had to take out loans, if so what kinds of loans, and if it not too personal, what amount of debt they are in because of it? I would like to hear it from the horses mouth, so to speak, the financial reality from some one who has gotten a degree at Ringling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can any Ringling student that has graduated tell us if they had to take out loans, if so what kinds of loans, and if it not too personal, what amount of debt they are in because of it? I would like to hear it from the horses mouth, so to speak, the financial reality from some one who has gotten a degree at Ringling.
    I would like to know this as well. Iv come to terms with being in debt but I worry that even on an a animators salary I wont be able to make the payments. I would also like to add to this question by asking if any one can tell me how much they were able to get from grants?

Iv been reading both this thread and the 2008 thread for some time now and wile they are full of useful info, this seems to be a question that seems to never get fully answered. It seems that ether no one knows or it’s the 400 lb gorilla in the room that no one wants to acknowledge.

If you end up making $40,000 a year that means you would be making $3,333 a month and wile that seems like a lot, if you end up with a $100,000 debt it would cost you $833 a month not counting interest to pay it of in ten years and when you think about how much you would have to pay each month for an apartment, health insurance, car insurance, food, gas, phone, internet etc. things start to get sketchy. I'm not saying that you could not do it but as a teacher at my community college constantly tells me the other thing you have to consider is that at least for Computer animation any way is that its one of the most competitive fields out there and you may have to end up settling for an internship which would defiantly make things more difficult in the cash area.

Any way that’s basically the conversation that keeps popping up almost daily now and its getting harder to tell people (and my self ) “Yeah I’ll just work my ass off” or “animators make a lot and ill just live frugally”.

On the bright side of things the one thing I do tell people that still remains very true is that Id rather be broke and love my job then rich and hate it and one way or another Im going to make it. So sorry for the rant but any info on this subject would be greatly helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sryker
    Iv been reading both this thread and the 2008 thread for some time now and wile they are full of useful info, this seems to be a question that seems to never get fully answered. It seems that ether no one knows or it’s the 400 lb gorilla in the room that no one wants to acknowledge.
    Well that's just it. None of us really knows. I'd certainly like to see some feedback from a working Ringling alum, myself, but probably the reason we never get this feedback is they're all busy working. The rest of us are just students and we can only offer speculation based on what we've heard or read. I personally don't trust estimates because they're all going to be different based on location, changes in the economy, and a number of other factors. As an animator, I may start at $40k a year in California, but what if I get a job in Maryland? How is the local cost of living going to affect my disposable income?

As for loan payments, I can tell you that I was making $42,000 a year in my previous job, pulled home about $2400 a month, and my loan payments from my last school were no more than $110 a month. 30-year plan, I believe. That's generally the life of a school loan (though there are other plans, I believe some lenders like Sallie Mae have a loan calculator on their site to help you with those figures). But this won't be the case when I graduate from Ringling because my debt will be considerably larger, so, I don't know.

No one can tell you, "For sure, you're going to get an amazing job in animation that starts at $50k and you'll pay your debts easily." I've heard stories of people who live very comfortably after school and pay their loans at a leisurely pace. I've heard stories of people who pinched every penny and lived off beans and condiments in order to pay off their loans early. But of the working professionals (many Ringling grads) who have visited campus, I've never heard any of them say, "I'm sorry I went there, it was way too much money."

No matter what profession you go into, there are no guarantees. We are all just hoping for the best and taking life as it comes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, here's some quick info you might find useful.

I was talking to a Ringling alumni a while back, he was an illustration major and got Full Ride to Ringling. The only thing he had to pay was room and board. He did later attend AFI (which he doesn't recommend btw), so he accrued some debt from there. His debt is, as of now ~175k.

His advice is not to worry about debt. The thing is...as has been stated many times, you WANT to work your butt off, so that you do land a big job and not have to start off small. That is the point of going to these 100k schools. They have great networking and can easily propel you into the industry if you have the money for it.

The point of attending these 100k schools is not so that you can be average, it's to be great. Sure, you need experience, and yes you'll have to start low and work your way up, but...what's the point of a 100k debt if you're in the same shoes as someone who didn't get that 100k debt? Just drop out of your AICAD school, right now, and go about it on your own.

Work, work, work and you'll do great. That Ringling grad I mentioned, his best friend who, at the beginning of his career at Ringling was a rather buff athletic guy, towards the end, to put it in the words of the Ringling Alumni "he looked like Jesus at the stake!".

But...it paid off for him, he now works for pixar, just finished working on Wall.E and gets paid 95k a year.

So, loans? they're really not that big of a deal, and just how much you will owe depends on may factors from your interest rate, to how much you took out and to perks from you loan company such as reduced interest rate for every x amount of consecutive payments. Heck, you can even consolidate your loans and just pay them off in the term of over 30 years (cite Obama who just finished paying his student loans about a month ago -_-).

The reason people don't talk about is because no on really want so think about it. In fact, some companies will pay off your student loan in return for a...10 year contract, lower pay, etc, just so you don't have to think about that student loan since it could in some way negatively affect your work.

But really...it's not too bad. Go to your AICAD school, apply for internships, join some guilds or societies if necessary (they'll take some money from your pay, but...hey you're working in your field and getting paid =D), and keep working.

If you feel uneasy about this, get off at the next stop before you wind up in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nilaffle:
    Wow 30 years I wasn’t aware that I could stretch the loan out that far. That would definitely make things easier.

Metalclay:
    Always good to here about people coming out the other end of the pipe and the way I is see it your paying $75 a day so it is simply inexcusable to spend that time doing any thing that does not involve improving your self. But wow 95k that kind of cash laughs at student loans.

Any way thanks for the info it defiantly helps get my mind off money and more on my portfolio besides I'm not in for the cash I'm in it because you only live once and as I discovered trying to do graphic design I cant go through it with this stuff being no more then a hobby.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well see that's the thing Sryker.

I was talking to Amy Fischer about this at admissions for Ringling. She told me that some people do end up dropping out of their sophomore year not just because they can't handle the course load, or it's to "intense" or any of that utter nonsense.

The fact is, Ringling is expensive. Is it worth it? maybe, depends on the person you are. Every time I mention Ringling around here (Miami) people look at me as if it's taboo, that or the others ask me...."you goin' to clown school?"

One of these people, the former not the latter, was architect adviser at Florida International University, her eyes almost fell out of her sockets before she said "First of all Ringling is too expensive, second...you have to deci-blahblahblah". At my car insurance agency, I don't know how the conversation came up but the representative their told me that a family friend's daughter goes there and they're having a tough time paying off the loans- the parents are doctors...

My art teacher..."well you got into Ringling; good. Can you afford it?". My school counselor "how are you going to pay off Ringling? you know it's expensive, right? have you looked into scholarships?". That Ringling alumni I mentioned:

"If you really want to animate you would do what it takes. Would I recommend Ringling maybe not. It has its goods and bads but no one is perfect. would I recommend AFI Hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! some times school are a name till you go through the system you would understand".

It's not a secret, Ringling is damn expensive, everyone knows, the president knows it as well. I wrote him a pretty lengthy letter- he told me they were going to look into maybe putting more money towards scholarships and the such.

It's a disturbing trend really, these schools, they get a great rep, they get good networking they establish themselves as "Harvards for animation", then they jack up the price and spend it on what ever it is they spend it on. I know, their equipment is excellent with 8 gigs of ram, 8800s running in SLI, and pretty sweet programs with teachers who are in the industry and are active.

But...really, you start to set up these tolls for people to get into the industry via the highway, and...well not everyone can afford those tolls. So...you ask yourself: "what kind of people are these that can pay the toll?". I'm not going to generalize and say only rich kids get in to these schools, of course not, it would be ignorant to do so, heck I myself was ready to take on some loans and I am faaaar from rich; heck I barely make the "middle class" label.

But...think about it. You have these people who pay the toll and gain access to this highway that can take them far and fast. Then you have the schmoes who have to take the backroads whose car may break down on the way and there really is no telling if they're going to get lost on their way and have to settle somewhere on route 66.

Don't like going on tangents too much but I feel as if I just have to cite this. I read this book about...three, maybe four years ago; Blue Highways. When you read the book, you start to see that...life isn't really about the end point, but the journey. While reading this book you see this character meets interesting people, people with stories to tell, experiences that would humble anyone.

You start to see that...sometimes, maybe the road less taken isn't bad at all. To pack on to the cliches in this post, "A rolling stone gathers no moss". As Brad Bird stated in an interview at Spline Doctors:

"To animate means to give the appearance of life, and you can’t create the illusion of life if you haven’t lived one."

Now...living a life, I don't think has the connotations we've always perceived as when we were in high school or middle school. The whole "I party until 5am so I'm cool", or "I have a fake ID, I have a life, I get drunk and go to parties". No, not necessarily. Though that is a valid form of a "life", to have a life, I believe (in my very daft point of view) is to have experiences (any), to soak in what's around you, not just go by life not looking at the little things, because in the end that's what makes up a very interesting life; those little things.

I think this is why people say "art school isn't for everyone" or..."One does not have to spend 100,000 dollars (which is what most end up spending after their loans are paid off) in order to get a great education", or..."Ranks mean nothing, visit the campus and see if it's a right fit".

As often as all those things are repeated and may seem to lose meaning (define: cliche), they're all true.

In the end, maybe going to Ringling isn't that big of a deal. These people who say they fought for their dreams by taking on loans...I beg to argue on what exactly constitutes a "fight", because if so, I know many people who fought to buy a 42" hdtv, fought to buy a car, fought to buy a house and fought to buy some gas for their hummer they got in an epic war at the dealership.

You have to think about this. I'm sure Ringling is a fine facility. I visited the campus and I loved it. From the brightly colored wall splattered with coats of blue, green and red to the sweet movie posters with Ringling Alumni listed under them; nirvana.

But...you have to make sure if this is right for you. Is this what you want? go to a school that could really care less whether you attend or not because they have, literally thousands of other applicants waiting to get in. Or, take the backroad and see if you end up at your final destination. It may take more time to get there than the people who took the toll, but...hey, you're doing what you want to do, I'm sure you'll have met a great amount of interesting people, made many great friends and would have had a fulfilling life getting there.

Aristotle once wrote that...you can't judge, and you can't say you're "happy" until you've lived a complete life. You don't know what happy is until you've journeyed life and gone through the "good" and "bad".

When you were six, and you you got that toy for Christmas you've always wanted, I would bet my only pair of glasses that it was probably the happiest moment of you're life. When you were a teenager and got a date with that girl you've had a crush on for years, I'll bet my...shoes, that it was the happiest moment of you're life. When you got married, when you had your first kid, etc.

Point is...you have to do what makes you...happy. That route varies, and thoughtless decisions and social pressures,and just random events often cloud what you know is right. But...you've been equipped with a biological compass called your gut. Think about what's right for you and just trust your gut, if you fail, you can always ask for help, most often people will extend a hand; just don't take their arm

Right now I'm seriously reconsidering even going to Ringling. It's subconsciously been my dream school since 9th grade, but...I just don't if the price is worth it. It's not a matter of the actual tuition, "oh noes! 44k a year", it's a matter of principle.

Right now I'm attending a community college called "Miami Dade Community College", that...most people, while I was in AP/IB class would ridicule others with: "where you going to college Timmy? Miami Dade? ahahahah!". To be honest...I like it. The people there are real, they give it their all and just keep trying. I talk to them about their dreams and aspirations and...it's funny...they laugh and look up to the ceiling, and most of them just brush off this question with a "I don't know, heh". They do know they want to animate, and...they want do something with their life -an admirable position.

I go there Monday through Friday, I run into many characters with very interesting personalities, and...I don't mind it, as said, I like it actually.

Just think about what's right for you, as the individual you are. Oh and...I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, heck I may eat these words later on in my life, but...as of right now...these are my beliefs. Call me a hypocrite, but to maintain a position on anything dogmatically, I believe is ignorant. You live and you learn, often you may have life changing experiences that completely change everything you ever thought you knew.

So, just take this post as a collection of experiences and anecdotes; nothing else.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbarq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey does anyone know when the online application opens? They said Sept 1st but its been way past that and its still under mantainance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There facebook page says September 15. but dose it matter how soon we get them in? I was going to wait till I turn in my portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meh no idea they told me sept 1st!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sryker View Post
    There facebook page says September 15. but dose it matter how soon we get them in? I was going to wait till I turn in my portfolio.
    It doesn't really matter, but it will save you some stress in January to get the essay and forms out of the way now. Also, if your worried about what your grades this semester will be, you can send a transcript now and not have to worry about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not happy with my current situation. I'm in a state college and the atmosphere is not what I think is best for me at this point. I want to apply for Ringling as a sophmore however I get a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach whenever I think about attending Ringling; and the debt it will put me in. My plan is this: I'm going to apply for Ringling, and a couple of other colleges and if I get accepted I will decided if I'm going to make the leap. I'm working on a portfolio as we speak and I'm pretty nervous. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys!
    I'm really a 2010 hopeful, but I figure there's no harm in taking part in the 2009 hopefuls thread. I read almost the entire thread for the 2008 hopefuls thread back before the start of summer and gained some pretty great insight. I should probably start taking notes. =o
    But anyway. Ringling right now is where I'm pretty sure I want to go--if not Ringling, then Art Center is my other choice. I think illustration is the direction I'm going to go in.
    I'm hoping to start compiling my portfolio this year so I'm not in such a rush my senior year. Most of all, I'm just hoping to improve as much as I can before sending in my portfolio. Like quite a few others, I also have the problem of having no access to figure drawing classes--or really much of anything beyond High School art classes--where I live. So at this point I think my friends and I are going to get together every once in a while and hopefully work something out. xD (sketch each other, go some place to sketch, etc.)

Does anyone know which AP classes Ringling will accept? o3o I took an AP World History class last year and scored a 4 on the AP exam, and over the summer I took an American history course that got me both high school credit and college credit. This year, I'm taking an AP English class and an AP Psychology class and intend to take both AP exams...I'm also thinking of taking the German AP exam since this will be my third year of German, but I wasn't sure if college credit in a foreign language will do anything for me in the way of getting classes out of the way at Ringling. :/ Also, do they accept credit for Government classes or economics classes? I intend to take those this upcoming summer (for both high school and college credit).
    Really, I want to try to get as many liberal arts courses out of the way as I can...without going to a junior college first when I get out of highschool. (I don't really have many options for community colleges here, as I live in a small town with the closest city an hour away. D| )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well said Metalclay.

Something I like to think to myself sometimes, and obviously you can see why I would'nt go around shouting it, but...

"you can't be better, if you're not different"
    simple, and maybe a li'l ignorant, but it makes me think.

I too, go to a community college. All the art classes are focused more around abstraction, and the general form of Graphic Design. Most of the students will tell me that they don't even like to draw! However, I keep myself focused on building my illustration skills while taking in as much useful information as possible. I feel like I am advancing more than ever, and find it hard to believe I would have more to show for the time (and money) by going to an art business.

I wish the best to all you Ringling hopefuls. But if you are in a situation where you just can't decide... keep thinking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Azheryn View Post
    Does anyone know which AP classes Ringling will accept?
    Ringling will give credit for everything except AP English lit (English writing is fine). They require threes for liberal arts, and fours for art classes (including art history). Also, while they will give credit for 2d design, they won't necessarily give you placement, as it is possible to get a good score on the portfolio without having what they consider an adequate understanding of design.

Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't really want to skip any classes, even with my good AP scores. wanna get my sklls rebuilt from the ground up, its always good to learn the basics again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    same here ^_^

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5