Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls - Page 48
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1492
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you really cant beat sharing a 16x10 room in the cove with another person where theres one bathroom and no wall between either of you. All consider yourselves lucky that there are more dorms available, appleton wasnt bad compared to the Cove imo.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i lived in keating. loved it after i got used to all the noise around. i guess communal bathrooms were the only problem...

-------- Sketchbook--------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah hah hah hah. Funny comment about the walls.

My roommate in Appleton DID put a wall between the two of us one fated day while I was at class. Not just metaphorically speaking, either. It was yard long strips of bright pink fabric (later I put up black because I disliked seeing ya know, bright pink strips of fabric every day+night!) hanging from the ceiling by thumb tacks, splitting the room right down the center. Made the room dim, hot, very "closed" feeling, and TECHNICALLY, according to dorm rules, was a fire hazard, to say the least. My nickname for it was the Berlin Wall 2.0. =/ And it effectively stopped any sort of rational communication between either of us for the rest of that year.

I was a naive 18 year old who wasn't aware of the fact quite yet that I had an opinion and a voice, that yes, could matter in certain ways... I know better now than to let that sort of BS go on.

But, yeah, I know the Cove had its share of problems too - I would visit people over there and...some people were cool...others...holey moley.....

"Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?"

--------------------------------------------------------
    =====[sketchbloggies]======[RogueSTUDIO]=====[DA]======

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I have a question. Just how useful is Drawing (core) and Communication Design (core)? I just found out I have scored high enough on the AP exam for credit.

What exactly does drawing cover? Drawing still lives, perspective and self portrait?

What exactly does Communication Design Cover? Making collages,mixed media, and learning layout?

I've taken some drawing classes in my high school and I have learned about perspective and I draw from life daily. I have never taken a Design class but I have a general idea of the principles of design.

If it helps, you can judge me from my SB and Blogspot and decide if I would benifit from taking Drawing and Design. Would I benifit if I were able to switch those classes out for classes like Perspective and film language? Thanks!

http://kedrewdraws.blogspot.com

My Adventures at Ringling ^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    drawing involves understanding basic principles of value study. still life, drawings, perspective, composition, gestures, contour, daily life drawing, using various mediums.

Communication is a class that (this is coming from my own experience) helps in understanding gestalt composition, conceptual thinking, idea generation and a lot of process work.

-------- Sketchbook--------

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sishir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I see! Thanks Sishir! You said drawing (core) had gestures and daily life drawing, as in figure drawing? Wouldn't that be covered in contextual figure? Or do we do figure in both.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those classes could be useful or useless depending on the teacher. Communication Design tends to keep roughly the same curriculum, while Drawing varies a lot between the teachers. Although it's pretty individual, I would say Drawing is the more valuable class while ComDesign can more easily be skipped.

Judging from your sketchbook and major, I think the drawing class will do you good.

There is typically no figure drawing in Drawing. Biggest favor you can do yourself is going to FEWS every day.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plundh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is FEWS?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figure Enhancement With Students.(FEWS) Its daily figure drawing club for a few hours in the evening at Ringling. They have a different theme everyday like short poses, long poses, clothed, etc. Its cheap too. 45$ a semester.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the whole drawing/comm des topic, drawing is all about learning how to see. Any observational class is, and its one of the hardest things and most important things to learn. Communication Design is a good class as well and does focus more on composition and having the idea of a work communicated through compositional elements, essentially using art as communication. From my experience having a fuller understanding of observing (ie drawing) facilitates the learning and use of compositional techniques like the stuff your learn in communication design. So yeah, I would rate drawing class as more fundamentally important.

FEWS is Figure Enhancement Workshop and is basically and open figure drawing session for students that meets 3-5 times a week (depending on how many people sign up and pay) after most classes and you can come and go as you please. It's only about 50$ for the semester or year (I don't quite remember, they'll have signups and info in august or september) which is really a steal if you make it there more that five times. It's a great supplement, especially when you aren't in a figure class. GO TO IT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whooaaaa... I just got around to seeing Jin Sop Kum's thesis film, Dim Sum, and am totally blown away. Courtyard posted a link to a WIP of it back when all the other thesis films were popping up, but I'd forgotten about it until Ringling posted them on the website. I don't think anyone ever posted a link to the final, but please go check it out on Ringling's website.

Really amazing.

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lowercase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I saw Dim Sum recently too. I liked everything about it (animation, camera angles, models, texturing, lighting). What stood out the most to me was that his characters seemed really elasticy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kedrew View Post
    In the north hall floor plans there are 2 bedrooms connected to a single bathroom.
    thats what i was referring to, and most likely, where most of us will end up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kedrew View Post
    I saw Dim Sum recently too. I liked everything about it (animation, camera angles, models, texturing, lighting). What stood out the most to me was that his characters seemed really elasticy.
    Mhmm, it's really firing on all cylinders. I thought the facial animation was really great as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a question, when could I expect to recieve information about IQ Web? I'm just finishing up finacial now, naturally I assume the IQ Web information comes after, I just want to check and be sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MartinV, I think I wound up just signing in with my my.ringling username and password to get to Iqweb from the course descriptions page rather than going through my.ringling.

I know this has probably been covered before, but...the art supplies kit? Anyone recommend for or against it?

..:|sketches|:..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't buy the CORE kit. Your teachers will tell you specifically what you need. Just buy a big pad of paper and some charcoal for the first day and you'll be golden.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, SinfulSaint. I kind of figured that was the case, but I'd hate to be caught unprepared.

Of course, I have more questions...

Re: the Macbooks, do people take them to class? If so, do y'all just cram them into bookbags/shoulderbags, or does Ringling provide one?

Does anyone else plan on shipping things to campus in advance?

It's finally beginning to hit me that I'm going back to school, and I'm in full-fledged Planning Mode.

..:|sketches|:..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Candy Rain, I just signed up a few minutes ago

It may have already been asked somewhere in this thread, but can anyone tell me what this class is about?

CA 345/Kernel/02K Western Music and Painting 3.00 08/24/2009 - 12/10/2009
    Day/Time: Friday / 12:30 PM - 03:15 PM
    Instructor(s): Mr. Robert Stanton

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Candy Rain mentioned the macbooks, when do we get those?

also, i got an email saying on August 3rd, IQ Web will be showing room assignments, so... there's that.

Last edited by Equality72521; July 30th, 2009 at 01:48 AM.
    Representing Ringling College of Art and Design Class 2012

Blog
    (its pretty rad)

Current Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most people lug their Macbooks to their liberal arts classes, yes. I know that my class did not get carrying bags, but it seems like this past freshman class did. Hopefully that will continue for you guys. You will be given your Macbook during the first day of Freshman Orientation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone else enjoying Blink, our required reading?

This is my favorite passage:

"The psychologists Claude Steele and Joshua Aronson created an even more extreme version of this test, using black college students and twenty questions taken from the Graduate Record Examination, the standardized test used for entry into graduate school. When the students were asked to identify their race on a pretest questionnaire, that simple act was sufficient to prime them with all the negative stereotypes associated with African Americans and academic achievement - and the number of items they got right was cut in half. As a society, we place enormous faith in tests because we think that they are a reliable indicator of a test taker's ability and knowledge. But are they really? If a white student from a prestigious private high school gets a higher SAT score than a black student from an inner-city school, is it because she's truly a better student, or is it because to be white and to attend a prestigious high school is to be constantly primed with the idea of "smart"? ... The results from these experiments are, obviously, quite disturbing."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinV View Post
    Thanks Candy Rain, I just signed up a few minutes ago

It may have already been asked somewhere in this thread, but can anyone tell me what this class is about?

CA 345/Kernel/02K Western Music and Painting 3.00 08/24/2009 - 12/10/2009
    Day/Time: Friday / 12:30 PM - 03:15 PM
    Instructor(s): Mr. Robert Stanton
    Hey, I'm signed up for that course! =)

Well, the course catalog says:

"CA 345 - Western Music and Painting
    Emphasizes ways in which the history of music mirrors the history of art. Features the study of musical terms and forms, listening to musical works, viewing documentaries on composers, and attending performances. A Kernel course."

Expanding a little upon that, I've had one friend who has taken this course before me, and from what I can remember...there was a textbook to buy (*cough*library reserves/borrow one from an upperclassman if a new edition hasn't come out*cough*), a paper, and there were performances at the Van Wezel center that the students were required to attend for the course. Like what the course description said.

She never mentioned the professor being evil or incredibly hard either, if that's also a valid concern. In general....Major courses > Liberal Arts courses here, and so the lib. arts professors are mostly pretty chill. (Mostly.)

I want school to get here soon. I'm sooooo bored at home now, I mean, I always have drawing, but....I miss being surrounded by roommates/friends/people OTHER than my mother. >_>

"Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?"

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogue_A For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello peo...ple...

um does anyone know if there's gonna be a Ringling College 2010 Hopefuls?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    Anyone else enjoying Blink, our required reading?
    not really

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-e View Post
    Hello peo...ple...

I'm with this guy lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-e View Post
    Hello peo...ple...

If you make one there will be.

sjuskadur is offline Can't talk... eating brains! Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys... just saw this forum for a coincidence, I am Attending Ringling this fall in the Game Art and Design major... ive been reading through this forum and got pissed off for not finding it earlier so much stuff here that would have made this horrifying amount of paperwork and questions easier (Im going there from iceland so I got a lot of extra paperwork to do (lame!)) anyways... when did you receive your required reading material... i haven't got any yet.... (might be on its way though)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Rogue_A, I didn't think I'd be taking any music classes ever at Ringling. That's pretty cool

About the reading, I just recieved it this past Wednesday here in Taiwan. I just started it and this book already feels smarter than me. I dunno, maybe I'm just simple like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL, oh these books Ringling likes sending us. Today, just because I had a long bus ride to my figure drawing session, I decided to pull out from my bookcase that "A Whole New Mind" book Daniel Pink wrote and I got back then... and started to read through it.

God, it makes me feel so stupid.

But that's because I know that' I'm not a business oriented person beyond "looking at the contract, where do I sign, what benefits do I get?" sort of thing. >_> (Supposedly we do get a bit of advice on that stuff senior year, at least ILLs do...hmm.) Lol. Our school likes inspiring AND confusing us at the same time!~ =)

Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5