Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls - Page 44
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1492

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am planning on applying to Ringling, and I was wondering what everyone thought of the new Game art major. My ultimate goal would be to become a concept artist for a gaming company, but would it be better to go for the illustration major and a visual development minor to keep my options open?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow like, 3 different topics going on.
    LET ME ADD ONE MORE!

Okay so with all the colleges having replied and whatnot you start getting into conversations with friends. A few days ago the general conversation in the group was how certain colleges require you to urinate in a cup for tests. I think its pretty extreme. Does Ringling do this? When asked I had no idea, i just answered "No" hahah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sungmina View Post
    I am planning on applying to Ringling, and I was wondering what everyone thought of the new Game art major. My ultimate goal would be to become a concept artist for a gaming company, but would it be better to go for the illustration major and a visual development minor to keep my options open?
    From what I've read, Game art's primary focus is world building not concept art.

http://kedrewdraws.blogspot.com

My Adventures at Ringling ^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe Kedrew is right when he says there will be some concept art but mostly designing the actual 3d model. If you don't want to have anything to do with modeling you would better in an Illustrators major more than Game Art and Design. But in Game Design concept art is always a must so there will be a lot of it before modeling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello. I am planning on going to Ringling in two years, and spending the first two years at Palm Beach Community College. I was wondering if this is okay. If I have only two years to be at Ringling, is it possible for me to learn all 4 Illustration courses? Or will I only have to learn Illustration 1 or 2, or Illustration 3 or 4?

I'm going to PBCC first because my art skills are not highly developed yet when it comes to drawing from life and I am unable to drive yet.

I would like to also ask a question for my boyfriend, who plans to be a video game designer. He will also be going to PBCC, because he has the same problems as me and would like to improve on drawing. Is it possible to learn all you need to know at Ringling for game design in just two years?

I'm glad this site talks about art colleges, by the way, because I have asked around but the people who usually answer do not know about Ringling.

Thanks if you can help me out!

--Elizabeth W, aka Panda.

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Panda,

Going to Community College before spending the big bucks on Ringling is a very smart idea. If the system works as it has in the past, you would transfer into Ringling as a sophomore Illustrator, meaning you'll spend 3 years there. Make sure you take foundation drawing, 2D design, 3D design, and figure drawing while at community college. You should be able to knock out a lot of your liberal arts courses by spending 2 years there. Hopefully by the time you get to Ringling you'll be able to focus on only your artwork! You should call down to Ringling's admissions office if you want specific advice about which courses to take.

As for your boyfriend, the same should be true if he goes into Illustration. If he would decide to do Game Art and Design, I do not believe that he'll be able to complete the program in 3 years. He would have to enter Ringling as a freshman. This is because the program is very small for the time being, and transferring in as a sophomore depends on space availability.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thesinfulsaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really? So, if I were to spend two years at the community college and then go to Ringling, I could spend three years there instead of two?

Well, that might be rather difficult for him, as he cannot drive yet either and there's the big issue of money, so he would not be able, along with me, to attend Ringling this fall.

I was also worried because I found out it seems that Palm Beach Community College only uses Associate of Art transfer degrees to universities. I haven't found Ringling on the list, and I am concerned because I would much rather attend a college all about the arts, not a university with a small section of art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Panda, I'm a rising Junior who transferred into Illustration as a sophomore, (although from another department at Ringling) so I think I can follow up a little.

Generally, you transfer into Illustration as a sophomore and will have to spend 3 years at the program. Freshman Illustration majors at Ringling only have one major course to take 2nd semester, 151 Intro to Illustration, and depending on your previous coursework and your portfolio, Admissions will be willing to waive it along with the rest of the CORE freshman classes.

(Myself, I had a 1-on-1 portfolio review with the department head to get in...I was soooo nervous that day... but oh man, he's actually a really nice guy.)

2nd year and beyond, most of the courses are Illustration specific, and these are generally not waived. The only people I know who were able to transfer to ILL as juniors were either Rising Seniors from certain other departments at Ringling, or they had received an Associate's degree, specifically in Illustration, from another art school. It's rare.

Contact Admissions at Ringling, provide them information about the courses at your school...and they'll be able to coordinate with you to make sure your transfer will be as smooth as possible two years down the line.

Hopefully that helps a little?

I think I'll try and lurk around here more often too, lol, for the enjoyment of all those future ILLs (or heck, I can relate to the CAs too, I used to be one, roomies are going to be Senior CAs). Reading through this thread reminded me why I should be happy to go to where I do for school. Thanks guys-you lose sight of that sometimes in the daily grind. Later. =)

"Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?"

--------------------------------------------------------
    =====[sketchbloggies]======[RogueSTUDIO]=====[DA]======

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogue_A For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you. ^^ That does help a lot. It makes me feel glad that I will get to learn for three years instead of two.

I just hope now that I get in. XD My art isn't as advanced as a lot of you guys on here. I started with anime, and now I'm trying to draw realism more, but it is tricky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Manga is like a drug to me. I started doing it and I did it really well but it killed my skills with drawing everything else. My proportions were off in human faces and bodies. Realism was never a factor with manga. It got to the point where I just started forgetting about drawing the human body altogether and just started drawing armor, masks and soldiers. I do still watch a lot of anime and I still read some manga, but I try to stay with stuff like Marvel and DC as much as possible so that I don't start drawing giant eyes again. I'm glad I started to get back into drawing regular faces but I'm still working on it and practicing everyday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I actually started drawing only four years ago. The first thing I was drawing was anime, and that was it. I had no idea how to draw realism. Then I took a look at Ringling's site and it said ''No anime,'' and I was like ''Oh snapdragon...this is bad.'' So I got to it and began attacking realism. But what scares me is because of me focusing on just anime, I never really worked on still life, perspective, and such either. I am improving on humans, pretty good at animals, but my most horrible weakness is still life and perspective. Oh, and I cannot draw cars to save my life. Do you think I have to know how to draw vehicles to get into that college, too? D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's kind of amusing to hear you talk about your roots being in anime, because I think that's probably true for alot of us.

I remember from abouth 4th grade to 9th grade, anime was just about all I drew. DBZ in particular. Same's true for all the other art students growing up. Actually, I've kept quite a few of my drawings from way back.

Toonami screwed up all of our perceptions of accurate proportion. lol

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh my god, i remember this era in my life.

still. dont be afraid of realism. best advise is to look at master painting and understand how they perceived it and how they worked with values and etc. copy and then you will understand. but do it often i guess. so it gets imbedded.

-------- Sketchbook--------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah. I'm getting better. But I'm still scared as heck of perspective. I got this book on it, and I think I can handle 1 point perspective, but when I saw beyond 1, I got confused because of all the lines!

Will I have to be really good at perspective when I submit my portfolio, by any chance? Just a bit nervous and hoping. It's the only part of art I'm pretty much stumped by. That and still life still. I'm not too good at shapes myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didnt draw anime when I was young, my friends tried to get me into it but I was rebellious, I watch DBZ because it was cool, all i really drew was little things from life, or copied comic books.

Look, Iam diet drama, want to spend tha night dont bring pajamas, man there's so much heat beneath clothes, you see me !

JesArt Sketchbook, go have a gander..

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110233

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Mist View Post
    Yeah. I'm getting better. But I'm still scared as heck of perspective. I got this book on it, and I think I can handle 1 point perspective, but when I saw beyond 1, I got confused because of all the lines!

Will I have to be really good at perspective when I submit my portfolio, by any chance? Just a bit nervous and hoping. It's the only part of art I'm pretty much stumped by. That and still life still. I'm not too good at shapes myself.
    If your having trouble with basic perspective (1,2,and 3 point) there is a perspective 101 forum covering the basics of it.
    Link>>> http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=108180

Why are you having trouble with still life? When you draw do you just go into detail or do you work from large shapes to smaller shapes? The right way would be to work on large shapes to smaller.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Mist View Post
    Will I have to be really good at perspective when I submit my portfolio, by any chance?
    No, just be good at life drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is anyone else in the Student Center dorms?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nope North Hall.

Last edited by kedrew; June 11th, 2009 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kedrew View Post
    Nope North Hall.
    Me too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Random interjection--did anyone else get Daniel Pink's A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future, or is lowercase just special?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by courtyard View Post
    Random interjection--did anyone else get Daniel Pink's A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future, or is lowercase just special?
    I did. Twice. Once after I told them I wouldn't be attending.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol--thanks, Meloncov...I'll see if I can get a copy. I'm sorry you won't be coming along, but CCA sounds like an incredible program.

Have fun in the dorms, guys--hopefully I'll be able to snag an apartment that's not a total roachfest come August.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by courtyard View Post
    *stares at bookshelf here at hometown house- spies it buried behind Little House on the Prairie in Japanese and other various stuff*

They're still giving that book out? *shakes head* The first year they gave that book out was when I was a freshman...2006...

I never "got it". Thus why I left it here in my hometown. XD

"Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?"

--------------------------------------------------------
    =====[sketchbloggies]======[RogueSTUDIO]=====[DA]======

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogue_A For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kedrew View Post
    If your having trouble with basic perspective (1,2,and 3 point) there is a perspective 101 forum covering the basics of it.
    Link>>> http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=108180

Why are you having trouble with still life? When you draw do you just go into detail or do you work from large shapes to smaller shapes? The right way would be to work on large shapes to smaller.
    I think maybe I'm just not using a ruler enough. I'll keep trying. Before I was kinda drawing shapes lumpy and odd-shaped. I've never tried drawing a room either, so I should give that a shot.

Thanks for the help. ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    courtyard :They sent that book to my parents(they live across the country from me)

30. The Following User Says Thank You to berf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yyates05 View Post
    Is anyone else in the Student Center dorms?
    Student Center is technically upperclassmen housing now. With the completion of North Hall (which is huge compared to the other buildings and the amount of dorms it has) there will be enough housing for freshmen, even at the greater enrollment levels that the school has been moving towards, so the Student Center was converted to upperclassman housing. A lot of people who didn't get the apartments/quads/etc in the lottery ended up taking the Student Center so they could still live on campus next year. The building didn't even fill up, so I take it they're filling in the gaps with freshmen.

...Have they sent anyone information about the mealplans yet? They said they were looking to change them, and I really curious if they did. Upperclassmen financial info doesn't go up until July, so we're kind of in the dark for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like I can't go, for money reasons. All the aid and scholarships and loans I can get only covers half the cost. I've got to come up with 11,000 dollars a semester D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, meal plans are changing for next year. There is now a "meal equivalency" option-- Instead of eating only at the commons, you will have an equivalent dollar amount that you can spend at either Outtakes or the restaurant being put into the new Academic Building. I'm not sure of the exact dollar amount, but I'm fairly sure that it's not the $8 that they charge for a Commons Meal (since that is all-you-can-eat).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    September, that's terrible news. Are there more affordable options near where you live?

Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5