Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls - Page 4

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have two, maybe three pieces for now that I think I am going to include in my portfolio. I am also going to make one page out of some of my best sketchbook work, and another page full of some good gestures. I need a lot more figure work, a couple still lifes (I hate still lifes), and a painting or two. I got a lot of work to do before January rolls around.

Does the portfolio need to be on a CDR, or can you send a printed portfolio because I would much rather do the latter, I currently have access to a sick printer at my job. Also does anyone know how many slides should be included?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If anyone knows or has a class with Devon Raines, please let him know to contact me. I found his sketchbook. Thanks guys, hope you enjoyed your first week at Ringling.

xsdk01@yahoo.com
    "God created firefighters so police could have heroes too."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboslutstien View Post
    Does the portfolio need to be on a CDR, or can you send a printed portfolio because I would much rather do the latter, I currently have access to a sick printer at my job. Also does anyone know how many slides should be included?
    It has to be CD, DVD, or slides. They want everyone reviewing the portfolio be able to see it at once.

Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm turning in the paperwork sept 1. The portfolio will come later....much later. *laughs*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have 4 pieces, 2 are from life the others no. Mmmh i will also apply sept 1 online and send everything else later. Im actually trying to start a sketchgroup at school revolving around college apps so wed go and do all those things that might be boring by youself...my school sucks artistically and guess what: they said no because we wanted to include nude figure drawing. ugggh such a pain! there are no academies here or things where you can go and draw models so we wanted to pool our money and pay for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    5coop,

Why not just do it after school? If you've already got a group of people and some money you can set something up one night a week. The location might be a little tough, unless you want to meet in someones garage, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have several dozen pieces I may include in my portfolio, but I have no idea which ones I'll actually include. Hopefully, I'll be noticeably better in January than I am now, so there is not point in sending it in early.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, useful thread. :]

I was actually accepted into ill this year, but decided to hang back another year like lowercase. I hope to see everyone there next year though. C:

Can anyone tell me about transferring to Ringling? Has anyone here done that? I read that you have to have studio classes, and do well in them, to get status higher than freshman. About what level of art are we talking to achieve that? (Examples?) Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eep. How did I miss this thread?
    I'm totally applying for 09. I'm not sure whether I would like to do Game design or illustration. Ah well. I hope we all get in.

I didn't know the paper work could already be turned in on September 1st.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aguilas990 View Post
    5coop,

Why not just do it after school? If you've already got a group of people and some money you can set something up one night a week. The location might be a little tough, unless you want to meet in someones garage, lol.
    Yeah but we wanted to advertise it at school so we could get more people and pay less, also we would have to do it in someones house, there are no garages here its tokyo Yeah so we were hoping we could do it on a saturday at school in like one of the AV rooms. But christian school....meh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey 5coop, I found something that might be very valuable to you. http://drsketchytokyo.com

Its a chain sorta thing that's all over the world, where every once in a while they have a session with a burlesque model I think. I have never been to one, but I think I might check it out as they have one here in Boston. Anyway that's the link to the Tokyo one and this http://www.drsketchy.com/ is the main site. It looks like it might be very interesting. Either way, its a life drawing group so that's pretty cool.

Also if the faculty is worried about the whole nudity thing most models you hire will gladly wear a bathing suit or something to cover up. There is a weekly figure drawing group at a museum by me where the models do this, I guess because it is a public place but it still gets the job done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMFG THANK YOU SO MUCH! ITS EVEN IN MY NEIGHBOURHOOD HOW THE F*K DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS!!!!! i totally owe you, seriously, if we both end up in Ringling ill gladly let you copy my homework or whatever hahaha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Copying art homework is going to be a little suspicious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i meant like..english haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be sure to tell the writing studios to look out for you two scalawags!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    5coop, no problemo dude, glad I could help you out. I'll pass on the copying though lol. Also for other figure drawing sessions definitely check out craigslist, they have a lot of stuff there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i checking craigs list out but cant find anything im really new to the site..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey aCorbin I transferred into the CA program as a sophomore last year. Admissions will be looking to see that you have a considerable amount of transfer credit - the equivalent of freshman year, or very close - and the department will want to see a strong portfolio. So yes, a lot of studio credit is important (enough to cover most of Ringling's core classes). And the portfolio should support what you've learned - good observational skills, figure (human and animal), color, etc. Since you were already accepted, you might want to ask Admissions about your chances of achieving sophomore status.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Nilaffle,

same situation as aCorbin, but...for animation. If it's possible, could you list what courses you took, how many credits you had at the end, what admissions told you in regards to certain courses, and what major it was that your pursued.

It seems admissions is still settling in since they haven't replied to an e-mail I sent about a month ago. I sent another one yesterday I believe though, so...waiting on that.

I'm not too interested in gaining sophomore status (although that WOULD be sweet), but more so interested in skipping English, or Psychology for Artists or other classes of the ilk I can perfectly take at a community college. What I'm interested in is Ringling's animation courses, not their English or any other core courses, although I'm sure they're very fine courses.

Thanks for any help, if anyone else has experiences with transfer credits from a community college or any type of college really, do post! *looks at Copperfire*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am applying for CA with a full degree's worth of liberal arts credits. I was told during my visit that these courses would indeed count for credit at Ringling. I took these credits at UF but I'm sure they will accept community college english/psyche credits as well. Just hit up Miami Dade or FIU (I'm from Miami too!)

I'm not positive about studio credits if that is what you are looking for though. Go ahead and call them directly and ask to speak with an admissions rep, though I have had some luck with e-mails as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, hey aguilas.

Most definitely hitting up Dade here...you know...for all the trashing people do about it...the illustrator and photohop courses are really nice. I'm actually getting an AA in Computer Animation. Which...for the most part doesn't really involve much Computer Animation since about 16 of the 60 credits for the AA are the only ones that involve computer animation, the rest are english/math/humanities, etc.

I really was not expecting them to take the studio courses, since "they have a structured program that cannot compare with any other university in the world", but...was hoping to clear the core classes.

That's pretty intense though, UF? Heh, I actually was considering getting a BFA in FIU, but...all they teach is this contemporary modern "art" which...I'm not too interested in. Plus...I just got some Vilppu videos so...I'm set in that department

I guess I will try to call on Tuesday, but...any real experiences I can get here would be great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Metalclay... I just wanted to throw out there that the likelihood of transferring into CA is getting smaller and smaller. There were no transfer students plugged into my class because we are already overbooked. It really depends on the individual class; people are only transferred in if a good amount of students switched majors/dropped out from the previous year. I'm not saying that it won't happen because really, I have no idea how this next class is going to behave, but don't get your hopes up if you have to come in as a freshman.

For other majors, I don't think this issue exists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalclay View Post
    Hi Nilaffle,
    I'm not too interested in gaining sophomore status (although that WOULD be sweet), but more so interested in skipping English, or Psychology for Artists or other classes of the ilk I can perfectly take at a community college. What I'm interested in is Ringling's animation courses, not their English or any other core courses, although I'm sure they're very fine courses.

Thanks for any help, if anyone else has experiences with transfer credits from a community college or any type of college really, do post! *looks at Copperfire*
    Well, I'm not Copperfire (sorry to disappoint), but I can give my two cents about the whole community college thing.

Ringling is awesome (that's underlined and in bold for a reason) when it comes to accepting transfer credits. I took a year off after graduating high school to complete some courses and Ringling took all of them. I was really surprised that they even allowed me to opt out of CORE drawing with a drawing class I took at community college during my junior year of high school.

For those of you wondering what type of liberal arts classes to take, any "Intro to [Insert random topic here]" should work just fine. Definitely take two semesters of art history and a semester of English. Though it's only been a week, I can already tell that having those two courses out of the way is a total time saver. If you can take figure drawing, do that as well - Ringling accepted my credits for that. At the end of it all, the only CORE class that I was required to take this semester was 3D design. As a result, I was able to take two studio electives and a liberal arts credit.

Though taking the year off at community college did annoy me at first, I'm completely thankful for it now. I'm done with all but six of my liberal art/open elective courses. As happy as I am about that now, I'm sure I'll be even happier once the more difficult and time consuming work in CA begins.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol Jollesslauds, it's fine.

Um, yeah I wasn't really expecting to actually TRANSFER in, heck I'm having trouble doing that with UCF, a state school, now Ringling that's private. But yeah if I can get rid of those core classes, that would be just swell.

So...art history- check, english- check, figure drawing- check,...thanks!

@sinfulsaint...ew, I hope the classes don't get bigger, one of the things I liked about Ringling was the familiarity in each graduating class BECAUSE they were small.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i guess the class is big at first, but they pretty much made it clear that kids will start dwindling as the years progress.

x.x I totally dont wanna be one of them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like aguilas990 said, if you already have a degree's worth of credits, you'll be pretty much exempt from Ringling's liberal arts courses. The general policy is that the liberal arts component is waived for students with previous degrees.

As for which of my credits transferred... I'm not sure how helpful my situation is to anyone else, because Ringling is actually my third college. I attended the Art Institute of Washington for a year - Media Arts and Animation - then transferred to a private liberal arts college - I double-majored in Art and Public Relations and finished with a B.A. In the end, I think I had 66 transfer credits.

As for good classes to take... ditto what Jollesslauds said. You might want to also try to knock out 3D Design - be sure you're taking an actual 3D Design class though, not Pottery or Sculpting.

Just for information's sake, these are the courses I've taken previously that transferred when I applied to Ringling:

Art History I and II (prehistory to modern times)
    Drawing I
    Life Drawing (transferred for Contextual Figure)
    Color and Design (transferred for Communication Design)
    Art of the Classical World (transferred as the third Art History course... at Ringling you take four)
    I have no clue what transferred to replace Observational Color....
    And a ton of liberal arts courses... some of the classes I took: American History from 1865 to the Present (western civ), History of Theatre, Indian Civilization (non-western civ), Statistics, History of Christianity (religion), Life of Birds (biology)

Work hard and you'll see this program through. The reason this year's sophomore class is so big is because not as many students dropped out as they expected....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks nilaffle! You must have worked like crazy to get sophomore CA! I'll plan to get in touch with Admissions sometime next month. I sent an email a few weeks back about this and haven't heard anything, so I guess they're swamped with incomers.

Already planning to get as many transfer creds as I can manage. Even if I come as freshman, at least I'll have more time to spend on my main art courses instead of wasting it on liberal arts stuff. b:

Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not saying this to discourage anyone, but as a prospective student, I'm concerned about stuff like this, so I thought you guys might like to know. The average student debt for Ringling graduates is $70,00, compared to the comparatively meager $20,000 at institutes such as SCAD.

Just thought you guys aught to know. Keep in mind I'm not trying to convert you to SCAD, or turn you away from Ringling, I'm just speaking as a student whose funds are tight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bejeezus, this thread already has four pages?!

Its uhm...1:30am and I'm procrastinating on concept homework already sooo

Hey I'm Stephanie! I'm a sophomore computer animation major *high-fives thesinfulsaint* And I am so loving animation. Even Maya I'm catching on to... I'm really excited for this year!

And yeah, it seems like the faculty are really trying to cut down numbers... at the CA meeting they said there was something like 78 seniors this year-wow! And only 71 sophomore... and 71 freshmen I think?

I didn't have any transfer credits >8) That makes me badass!

...or just really stupid....
    I guess we'll see senior year!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    May I suggest showing them the average salary figures for animators?
    LAWL!!!! They're lookin pretty good at this point

@ votreMEDIA: But to answer your question about the scholarships,
    Nope I didn't get any myself, I keep kicking myself for it too because I had some time to do some nice paintings but I was way too lazy
    I was lucky enough to get about half my education funded though on the account that I'm poor and because I worked my ass off in high school

32. The Following User Says Thank You to copperfire For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6