Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls - Page 3

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimm View Post
    ello, im speaking from my experience, so:

Just have your recommendee write your recommendation on some type of letter head, and send that in. When they say they don't use a standardized form, it means, they don't have a pre-set form for you to use. So you just "make your own" in a sense.

Luckily for you guys, if you get accepted, they are making new dorms, and it will be finished for 2009. Wheeeee, I want dibs there!
    Hey thanks a lot! Yeah i also got in contact with Amy Fischer so she was kind enough to link me to some presets so i dont waste time

Yeah they told me about the new dorms when i visited sounds awesome although the dorms i saw in the main building were not bad at all! Maybe the lounge being next to the rooms will be a little loud---hard to sleep at night haha.

Hey did anyone write their essay for the application?250 word minimum is WAAAAY too little to understand a student. I mean all we can pretty much say is "yes (2 sentences) no (2 sentences) thank you (no period or it reaches the limit) " but obviously they receive a lot of applicants so it makes sense.

I picked number 4 although its probably likely to change by Sept 1st, i already wrote it but I'm in the 320 region after cutting half of it down I'd be curious to see some accepted examples although they dont play such a crucial role and i wouldn't want to be influenced by it. So hahah never mind...sorta...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kedrew View Post
    I'm going to be 18 also. Drawing technique-wise, I think I stand a chance of being accepted. Also my local university has a figure drawing class this September so I hope that will help out.

Hmm... It is ok for CA majors not having any 3d animating experience prior to entering right? I have done 2d before but not 3d...

Oh and how is Blender comparable to Maya difficulty wise?
    i havent had much experience in using maya but i will be next year when i start my second year in this technical vocational program that i do with my school.
    What i do know is that maya's interface is very hard to get used to in the beginning but that is pretty much what you should expect when using 3d applications, which is why there are so many keyboard shortcuts, but yeah, blender is a very good choice if you are just trying to get a feel of what the development of 3d project is like. Blender is open source so its free and there is a huge community of people constantly releasing new content for it, and there are new versions available every few months. It is also compared to lightwave 3d a lot because of its interface, which is pretty nice and easy to use. also, blender has a game engine and there are a lot of tutorials online to help you get started. i have a game im working on actually called "Mercenary's Quest" you can check it out on youtube if you want, just to see what type of quality can be created with blender.

basically, if you are interested in 3d modeling, animation, game development but you cant afford mainstream software, o you dont wanna deal with the big ass watermark that is printed on all of your renders then download blender

Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    Most CA majors don't have much/any prior experience, though it would likely be worthwhile to try out 3d animation in order to make sure you actually enjoy it.

Of the commonly used general 3d apps, Blender is probably the hardest to learn, than Maya, than Lightwave and 3dsMax. That being said, the difference isn't that huge.
    i wouldnt say that blender is the hardest to use, im only 17 now and i can produce some pretty high quality models/animations and renders and i never took a class. i selftaught myself with tutorials and getting help from the online community

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick update for those of you looking at my sketchbook, I've updated it so it doesn't say I'm applying for Ringling, sorry about the confusion XD It was an accepted portfolio for CA I'm a freshman this year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    Just a quick update for those of you looking at my sketchbook, I've updated it so it doesn't say I'm applying for Ringling, sorry about the confusion XD It was an accepted portfolio for CA I'm a freshman this year.
    hahaha someone just lifted a huge stone off my chest. But seriously, amazing work. Very inspiring How did you do the first picture of the man laying down? AS IN: the weird spot that changes his color somewhat ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketchbook, ilove your figure drawings.
    i have a question tho, i live in the detroit area, and i have access to the D.I.A and im wondering if it would be a good idea to sketch sculptures there since i have no naked models to work with

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the subject of learning 3d before applying to Ringling's Computer Animation Major.

Before I considered Ringling I had gone to a very intensive year long 3d certificate program and actually studied under a Ringling Grad (that's where I found out about the school). So when I visited I was told by the admissions guy, Eric Kaster to forget everything I learned in maya because the 3d instructors have a very specific way of teaching and don't want students to develop bad habits. He also went as far as to tell me to not mention in my application any former 3d training, as it wont really help my chances of getting into the program.

On the other hand he did say if you have exceptional 3d skills to include them in your portfolio, and I am talking really awesome stuff. Other than that use the energy and time you would use for learning Maya/Blender etc. to work on beefing up your traditional art skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, thats exactly was i was thinking too. do you have any input on my museum sculpture sketching idea? im guessing that would be a life drawing since it is real life, but im not exactly sure. also, would it be a good idea to throw in a few 3d renders that ive done just to show that i already have some understanding of 3d workflow at a young age

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing from a sculpture can be very valuable and could make for some good portfolio pieces, but still keep your eye out for any figure drawing classes/groups, you don't want to dominate your portfolio with only statue studies. Craigslist can be a good resource for this, also many local art schools/ community colleges, and even some art galleries will have a weekly figure sesh. You can also sketch your family, friends, or hide in your car on a crowded street and draw strangers that pass by.

As for 3d renders I would honestly stray away from them, just from what I have heard, but if your really confident with them, maybe take them to a national portfolio day first, if there is a good response id say go for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboslutstien View Post
    On the other hand he did say if you have exceptional 3d skills to include them in your portfolio, and I am talking really awesome stuff. Other than that use the energy and time you would use for learning Maya/Blender etc. to work on beefing up your traditional art skills.
    If it helps people to decide whether to include 3d work, I was told to do so, so you can look at my portfolio to get an idea if your work is good enough to warrant inclusion.

And VotreMedia, I've tried all the programs I've mentioned, and found Blender the most difficult. Though like I said, the difference isn't huge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If it helps people to decide whether to include 3d work, I was told to do so, so you can look at my portfolio to get an idea if your work is good enough to warrant inclusion.

And VotreMedia, I've tried all the programs I've mentioned, and found Blender the most difficult. Though like I said, the difference isn't huge.
    i guess thats a good thing then lol. me going from a harder program that i taught myself to learn, and going to a class and getting taught by college professors to use an easier program

Drawing from a sculpture can be very valuable and could make for some good portfolio pieces, but still keep your eye out for any figure drawing classes/groups, you don't want to dominate your portfolio with only statue studies. Craigslist can be a good resource for this, also many local art schools/ community colleges, and even some art galleries will have a weekly figure sesh. You can also sketch your family, friends, or hide in your car on a crowded street and draw strangers that pass by.

As for 3d renders I would honestly stray away from them, just from what I have heard, but if your really confident with them, maybe take them to a national portfolio day first, if there is a good response id say go for it.
    that seems like good advice. And there is a portfolio day coming up in november i think, its at kendall college for art and design, about 1 hour from me. I am wondering if Ringling is going to attend it even though it is so far away. I havent been to one before so im not sure about the whole experience yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most CA majors don't have much/any prior experience, though it would likely be worthwhile to try out 3d animation in order to make sure you actually enjoy it.

Of the commonly used general 3d apps, Blender is probably the hardest to learn, than Maya, than Lightwave and 3dsMax. That being said, the difference isn't that huge.

Ha thanks, I find blender a little confusing...lol. Well I guess i will soon have to post my stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So when I visited I was told by the admissions guy, Eric Kaster to forget everything I learned in maya because the 3d instructors have a very specific way of teaching and don't want students to develop bad habits. He also went as far as to tell me to not mention in my application any former 3d training, as it wont really help my chances of getting into the program.

...use the energy and time you would use for learning Maya/Blender etc. to work on beefing up your traditional art skills.

I feel like I've found a good balance by learning just the Maya interface. I haven't done any real projects in Maya, but I have gone through the lessons it provides. That way I wont be totally in the dark with 3D software, and can hit the ground running when we move into it.

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 5coop View Post
    hahaha someone just lifted a huge stone off my chest. But seriously, amazing work. Very inspiring How did you do the first picture of the man laying down? AS IN: the weird spot that changes his color somewhat ...
    Thank you! That was a charcoal drawing of my boyfriend, of course he fell asleep LAWL!!!! The strange color was me taking a picture, lol sorry about that, my reflection got caught in the protective wrapping I had the piece in

@votreMEDIA- Thank you! X3
    Hmmm that's not a bad idea =D! But I think you'd be better off drawing friends or family, even quick sketches of pets help. However, if you don't have anyone who will sit for you then the statues are a great idea You could get some very nice finished pieces out of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    The strange color was me taking a picture, lol sorry about that, my reflection got caught in the protective wrapping I had the piece in
    it actually really adds to the drawing. I got some pretty nice combinations by taking photos of artwork too! like my first submission, i drew it, took a photo of it, and then added the greenish hue on photoshop. I really love the feeling i got through that process, and i did the whole thing cluelessly i just couldnt find a scanner hahaha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kedrew, i know what you mean, i remember the first time i opened blender for the first time and was overwhelmed, i didnt touch it again for like 3 months, i was more interested in 2d animation back then, but once you really get inspired you can learn a lot. There are so many tutorials out there and forums just like CA to help you out

thanks for the input copperfire, also, did you get any scholarships from your portfolio, im really trying to get some scholarships cuz my parents dont want me to go to art school and are threatening to not help me fund my education if i choose to go to one...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by votreMEDIA View Post
    thanks for the input copperfire, also, did you get any scholarships from your portfolio, im really trying to get some scholarships cuz my parents dont want me to go to art school and are threatening to not help me fund my education if i choose to go to one...
    May I suggest showing them the average salary figures for animators?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i know that they get paid a lot, im just wondering because my dad is telling me that he wont pay for my college if i go to an art school...and i dont mind have debt for a little while, i just want to have some of that load taken off

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw Votre, your situation is tough. But with determination anything is possible, so don't give up your dream!

May I suggest checking out websites like Fastweb? There are a couple different websites like that which have scholarship search engines. Also, you could meet with an academic counselor if you're still in High School.. I'm sure they could help some too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i know that they get paid a lot, im just wondering because my dad is telling me that he wont pay for my college if i go to an art school...and i dont mind have debt for a little while, i just want to have some of that load taken off
    He's likely bluffing, but it's good to prepare for the possibility that he isn't. Obviously, do your best to change his mind. Is he worried you'll end up as a strarving artist (the most common fear, which is why I suggested showing him the statistics) or something else?

And to answer your question, a couple of conceptart people last year got a couple thousand a year scholarships. Can't remember if copperfire was one.

Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a friend with a similar problem, but as long as it's what you really want to do, then you can overcome any future debt. (that's what I keep telling myself)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VotreMedia, i can kind of relate to you. My parents don't want me to be a "starving artist" either. But really, how much is the average animator salary starting? (40kish?) That sounds not too bad.

Oh, and I know there is only one presidential scholarship for CA but cant you get smaller scholarships? is it also based on portfolio review?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He's likely bluffing, but it's good to prepare for the possibility that he isn't. Obviously, do your best to change his mind. Is he worried you'll end up as a strarving artist (the most common fear, which is why I suggested showing him the statistics) or something else?

And to answer your question, a couple of conceptart people last year got a couple thousand a year scholarships. Can't remember if copperfire was one.
    i wish that was true lol, but no hes not bluffing. hes so serious that he actually wouldnt let me draw or do any art on the computer for like a month...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie57 View Post
    Aw Votre, your situation is tough. But with determination anything is possible, so don't give up your dream!

May I suggest checking out websites like Fastweb? There are a couple different websites like that which have scholarship search engines. Also, you could meet with an academic counselor if you're still in High School.. I'm sure they could help some too!

i actually just signed up for it, i see a few things i would qualify for. the last art contest that i did was the National auto show and i ended up getting 3rd place, but i only got 100 dollars. i really need something up in the 10k range to make an impact.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went through that situation, never give up, keep following your dream, its what you want, not what your parents want, if you want art school you're going to have to work for it, but in the end anything is possible. No one knows really if they will actually pay off their loans, we all just have faith that in the end if we work our hardest, we'll make it through, have a job at the end of it and pay our loans. Yes Ringling does give scholarships the presidential is 10,000 I believe? (Saint would know) if I'm correct and then there are smaller that are a few thousand dollars or so, I received one of those, and look among your community as well, I received 2 scholarships from organizations right in my area, ask your art teachers, they'll know and sometimes you can find the random scholarship on fast web as well, enter competitions, sell your artwork (I ended up making around 600 dollars at my last school art festival and keep on drawing, don't let your father say oh you can't draw. You can draw with a pen and paper, you will have to fight for what you believe in, its difficult, I went through it, It will take hard work, but you can do it and when you finally get here, you will know that it was all worth it, every rough day, every fight with your parents, every rebellion. I did it and now I'm here at Ringling and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by Onceuponastar**; August 29th, 2008 at 02:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kedrew View Post
    rship for CA but cant you get smaller scholarships? is it also based on portfolio review?
    Yeah, there is one scholarship about half the size of the presidential, and several in the three to five thousand a year range. All are based on overall application (portfolio, grades, ect.), and some may have a need component (can't remember).

Also, good news; if I read the press release correctly, Ringling will be offering twice as much scholarship money this year as last.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wish that was true lol, but no hes not bluffing. hes so serious that he actually wouldnt let me draw or do any art on the computer for like a month...
    I don't mean to imply that he's joking, but it seems possible that despite his objections now, when he realizes he can't dissuade you, he'll support you.

Of course, you know him better than I. But at least I hope that's what'll happen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im so glad my parents support me haha im sorry its just such a weird idea to me, its like a fascist regime in your house. Seriously no parent should force their child to believe/study what they dont want to study. My parents never forced me to adopt a religion, if i ever wanted to like my brother did they fully support his choice. They also fully support that i want to do CA (well i told them the first time when i was in like 2nd grade, then told them i wanted to go to ringling in 6th grade haha) so maybe you have to show your dad you are serious about it. A job you dont enjoy, no matter how much it pays, will in the end make you miserable. Its such a weird idea to me haha i offered my dad i take a loan so my brother wouldnt have problems going to the US aswell (he starts a year after i graduate) but he absolutely refuses. So I'm going there with them paying for it, ill work for a year after i graduate and partly pay for my brothers university. Then he'll pay my parents back. So yeah, why dont you have a man to man conversation with your dad and offer to pay HIM back everything for the university rather than getting a loan which will be harder to pay.

Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aww, if only this were a perfect world. Perhaps then we wouldn't have such troubles. I hope a solution presents itself to you votreMEDIA. I don't think anything I could say would help, so just know I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah seconded. Hey has anyone here actually FINISHED their portfolio? when do you think youre applying? I'm thinking November or so...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not even close to finished with mine. I am gonna keep trying to "knock out" the pieces I think are my best work with better ones up until like late December. Then I'll call Ringling and make sure they got it like every day haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i kinda had mine done but it was mostly graphic design stuff because that is my second option. i think i will just keep drawing from life and eventually post something up here. also, i wanna thank everyone who is trying to give me advice.

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4