Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5coop View Post
    i had a question about recommendation letters, it states on the Ringling website "Ringling College does not use a standardized recommendation form." does this mean i need to download somewhere on the site a paper with Ringling's own form? If so could you direct me to a link? As i understand with the recommendation letter you must attach a paper for the writer to fill in, tick boxes and such. Where can i get this? Sorry for the confusion
    Ringling doesn't a form for recommendations. If I remember correctly you just get the recommenders to send the recommendations directly to the college and it will be matched up with you application. (I actually had my recs sent in like november and filled out my app in the last week, lol.)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    As hurricanes move from east to west, Sarasota, being on the west coast of Florida, is pretty safe. I think I remember someone mentioning classes being canceled due to a hurricane once last year, but there was no danger as long as one stayed inside.
    Wee, thanks, this should pacify my mumsie.

On another note, while I think my portfolio might be strong enough to get in combined with my academic stuff, I don't think its anywhere near good enough for some scholarship cash, so I'm doing some hard core work to boost mah skills.

How do you guys feel skill-wise currently?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybeth View Post
    psst. check the accepted portfolio thread if you haven't already, there's a few ringling portfolios there, mostly ca.
    Ah yes, there is that thread, but , I thought it'd be nice to make it a little more personal, so people don't have to shift through a lot of other school portfolios. Also, this will help potential Ringling students who want to ask questions directed at accepted portfolio's. Just a suggestion.

Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    ^It seems like a good idea to me as well. More convenient and such.....but thats just me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lord78 View Post
    ^It seems like a good idea to me as well. More convenient and such.....but thats just me.
    Awww, thank you !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lord78 View Post

How do you guys feel skill-wise currently?
    As far a skill goes I think I am slowly but surely getting better. I really need to improve before I send out my portfolio though, when I visited Ringling a year ago I was told I needed to improve to get into CA, and since then I have been drawing everyday, which has helped.

The past week or so I have been carrying a sketchbook with me everywhere that I go, just to try and observe people/things and quickly transfer their movement to paper. It has been difficult to get used to but extremely helpful and fun. I am also enrolling in a figure drawing class as I haven't drawn from a model all summer, and that certainly will help in banging out some pieces for my portfolio. Anyway, I got some work and studying to do before I am confident that my work will help me get in but I think it is possible.

Thanks
    My portfolio reviews with Ringling have been pretty neutral, but if I can get to at least borderline level grades and extracirriculars will probably get me in (independent study with a freelance animator, pre-college for two years, founding an animation club at my school). I've been doing figure study twice weekly, two studio classes, and alot of independent sketching in order to get to a more comfortable level.

Thanks
    copperfire: i totally dig your idea, i was thinking it myself why not make a thread called something like "Accepted Portfolios-RINGLING ONLY" or something? it would me really helpful....

how is everybody doing with their work? my confidence in my portfolio is pretty low although i have received positive reviews with every university...i dont know just not a lot of self confidence in traditional art

Thanks
    5coop: I know that sometimes the artwork on this site can make you feel very humble about your own abilities, it has happened to me. But keep in mind the membership of this site is mostly professional quality or very very high student quality. Unless you are going for the scholarships, I think you should take positive reviews from schools as a sign that you are right where you should be. I believe there are only about 6-7 posted portfolios in the other thread, which does NOT mean that everyone applying is at that level!

Just look at some of the awesome portfolios/sketchbooks and use them as inspiration that with enough work you can be there one day, but don't let it discourage you or worse, prevent you from doing art.

I hope this helped a little

Thanks
    If it's a comfort, in the two years I've followed these threads, only one person has been rejected.

Thanks
    that honestly makes me feel better thank you both!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybeth View Post
    Ringling doesn't a form for recommendations. If I remember correctly you just get the recommenders to send the recommendations directly to the college and it will be matched up with you application. (I actually had my recs sent in like november and filled out my app in the last week, lol.)
    does this mean i dont even send it myself??! It seems weird i even have to ask them to send it; shouldnt they give it to me and i send it with my portfolio? what if i decide to send my portfolio later and they already sent it? seems weird...

Thanks
    It's common for teachers to send recommendation letters directly to colleges, especially if that college requires the letter to be received in a sealed envelope. However, you don't have to ask your teacher to send it. You can get it from them and send it along with your portfolio.

Better introduce myself too. My name is Nilah, I am a junior Computer Animation major. I transferred as a sophomore last year, and I'm 26, so I hope to see some older students applying for next year!

Thanks
    Hey Nilah! Sorry ill be 18 hahahah but in CA (hopefully) oh and thanks for the clarification...

Thanks
    Next year I'll be 21, so yeah I'll fit into the older student category. I'm glad I waited to go to school. Out of high school I wasn't serious, I didn't even consider art as an option for me, let alone the total awesomeness of an education in computer animation.

Do you know how many older students end up attending vs. straight out of high school kids?

Thanks
    ill be 22 when I start so if I get in, i'll be "older"

Thanks
    Hey everyone - My name is Rachele and I'm a freshman Computer Animation major. Not sure just how many older students we have this year, but I am 25 and I know of another CA major who is 28. It's not uncommon for older students to attend school here, but we're definitely in the minority. I feel so old in all my classes!

Last edited by blu-grrl; August 26th, 2008 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks
    Well, hopefully all the older students will stop feeling so lonely when I get in.

I'm 23, but will be 24 if I get accepted into Ringling. I don't have much of a portfolio right now, only sketches and copies from pictures. I'm getting there.

And I'm opting for either CA or GAD.

Thanks
    What's with all this CA majors?! ... I'm feeling left out here.

xsdk01@yahoo.com
    "God created firefighters so police could have heroes too."

Thanks
    My name is Tyler, I'm 18 and will be applying for Computer Animation at the end of the year.

I graduated High School already and was accepted as an Illustration major at Ringling last year, but decided to wait a year on account of not being sure what I wanted to do, and also not quite comfortable with going to college yet. In some ways, it was a neccesary decision, but I feel like this extra year will be of great value to me.

It's great to see this thread up and running and to see some potential future classmates.

If anyone's interested, my sketchbook was essentially the portfolio I turned in last year to be accepted as an Illustration major.

See you guys around!

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    hi im justin, im gonna be a senior this year, and i see that figure drawing seems to be extremely important but im wondering if it has to be from real life because im pretty sure it would be impossible for me to get any nude person to pose for me while i draw for them

im also applying for computer animation, ive gotten pretty good at blender 3d, an open source modeling program

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    If anyone's interested, my sketchbook was essentially the portfolio I turned in last year to be accepted as an Illustration major.

See you guys around!
    Basically summing up your portfolio: Wow.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5coop
    Hey Nilah! Sorry ill be 18 hahahah but in CA (hopefully) oh and thanks for the clarification...
    Don't worry, we love our young whippersnappers too.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboslutstien
    Do you know how many older students end up attending vs. straight out of high school kids?
    Roughly 25% of Ringling students are twenties or older.

votre, you might want to check with local community colleges and art centers to see if they offer open drawing sessions with live models. Many will allow high school students to sit in on their sessions. Observational drawing from real life is preferred; even if you can't get a nude model, a clothed one is fine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    Awww, thank you !
    Not a problem!

I'm gonna be 18, and straight out of high school! I've been too eager to go to college. Yay learning! (I'm a nerd)

Thanks
    I'm going to be 18 also. Drawing technique-wise, I think I stand a chance of being accepted. Also my local university has a figure drawing class this September so I hope that will help out.

Hmm... It is ok for CA majors not having any 3d animating experience prior to entering right? I have done 2d before but not 3d...

Oh and how is Blender comparable to Maya difficulty wise?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kedrew View Post
    Hmm... It is ok for CA majors not having any 3d animating experience prior to entering right? I have done 2d before but not 3d...

Oh and how is Blender comparable to Maya difficulty wise?
    Most CA majors don't have much/any prior experience, though it would likely be worthwhile to try out 3d animation in order to make sure you actually enjoy it.

Of the commonly used general 3d apps, Blender is probably the hardest to learn, than Maya, than Lightwave and 3dsMax. That being said, the difference isn't that huge.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MM Howard View Post
    Basically summing up your portfolio: Wow.

Thank you!

You're work is very nice as well; probably more appropriate for animation. I've got to find subject matter that expresses movement more like yours. Right now I have mostly still objects.

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Yeah, your portfolio is like *head explodes* er, wait there's an emoticon for that. Yeah, your portfolio is like pld:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post

See you guys around!
    my confidence in my portfolio is pretty low although i have received positive reviews with every university...i dont know just not a lot of self confidence in traditional art
    ok SEE thats what im talking about HAHAHAHA your work is awesome man you will have no problems

Thanks
    i had a question about recommendation letters, it states on the Ringling website "Ringling College does not use a standardized recommendation form." does this mean i need to download somewhere on the site a paper with Ringling's own form? If so could you direct me to a link? As i understand with the recommendation letter you must attach a paper for the writer to fill in, tick boxes and such. Where can i get this? Sorry for the confusion
    ello, im speaking from my experience, so:

Just have your recommendee write your recommendation on some type of letter head, and send that in. When they say they don't use a standardized form, it means, they don't have a pre-set form for you to use. So you just "make your own" in a sense.

rawr.

Goodluck everybodyyyy~ Ringling is great so far! Except the Cove is too far. >.< lol.

Luckily for you guys, if you get accepted, they are making new dorms, and it will be finished for 2009. Wheeeee, I want dibs there!

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6