Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls - Page 11

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you think about it, it's a good thing they have a time limit. It takes a very good storyteller to get their BIG idea across in a small time frame , I'm sure they have the limit on to enforce this idea. As always quality over quantity, animation is pretty grueling I don't think you'll have the time to do something too long, or over ambitious. You wouldn't want to start getting your hands dirty only to realize your only going to be able to finish it half way. Plus Murphy's Law comes into play, from my experience Maya's a B***, you'll need some extra time just in case.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    Is that an absolute limit, or a very strong suggestion? I got the impression from Justin that some do go over that.
    Some do. See my last post.

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone! I am a US citizen but I live in Costa Rica. I didi highSchool here and I want to go to ringling

I have 2 problems! I dont have a portfolio yet!!!!

I lost everything I had like a year ago, then I had a baby and now I have 2 jobs, a baby, a GF and no time! I am working in BBDO that is an Advertisement agency and dont have that much time to do drawings! I used to be pretty good but I tried a couple of sketches like a couple of days ago and they sucked!! I need somekind of scholarship so I am going to draw something and post it here so you can tell me what do you think!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys I just got the new ringling catalog. Pretty amazing job they did with it this year. It really stands out. They must of be really going all out on it.

Sketch page coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wait 'til you get your accepted packets this year...they are going to be pretty awesome compared to previous years.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shanemeh, what does the new one look like?

I have two different ones, but they are exactly the same except for the cover design and the new majors added.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a white hard cover book, and the new one has a updated gallery.

Sketch page coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got a Ringling catalogue too! It is amazing. I liked the package it came in. Very inspiring stuff inside. It looks more like a sketchbook now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had the catalog for some time now from when Mr.Dean, one of the deans of admission came to visit. Havent seen what is supposed to hold it when you recieve it, apparently it was really nice. But yeah i really like it, its a lot smaller than last years so its easy to carry, but maybe the one from last year showed a little more... btw am i wrong or is the painting of the african american guy with a shirt made out of words really awesome?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 5coop View Post
    btw am i wrong or is the painting of the african american guy with a shirt made out of words really awesome?!
    Yes, yes it is. Or the one painting with the guys at a bar I believe? I dunno I just love the color and paint strokes on that one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jane Radstrom did that painting. She's really talented, and was a senior illustrator last year. The piece was featured at the Society of Illustrators in New York.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is that an absolute limit, or a very strong suggestion? I got the impression from Justin that some do go over that.
    2 min is the Spring render limit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thesinfulsaint View Post
    Jane Radstrom did that painting. She's really talented, and was a senior illustrator last year. The piece was featured at the Society of Illustrators in New York.
    I want a copy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieu View Post
    I want a copy
    Ask for the catalog on there site.

Sketch page coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanemeh View Post
    Ask for the catalog on there site.
    haha.... I think they might be a little suspicious when they see the address is 1130 Greensboro Lane.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rofl.

Sketch page coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieu View Post
    haha.... I think they might be a little suspicious when they see the address is 1130 Greensboro Lane.....
    LOL

Go to admissions and ask for one maybe!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I might be able to sneak one out for your Lieu, considering I work there and all... (Just no more sleepy pictures of me on the campus forums :3)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thesinfulsaint View Post
    I might be able to sneak one out for your Lieu, considering I work there and all... (Just no more sleepy pictures of me on the campus forums :3)
    Hey! No fair, that was Katya
    And that would be super cool if you could

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the recomendation letters, Ringling doesn't care what format that's used right? Er, and what should be made sure to includ in them?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From my experience you just need to ask the teacher to write a letter of recommendation and they'll either type it up, give it to you to send; or type it up and put it in an sealed school envelope for you to send. There were a few teachers of the seniors last year at my school who were really good and so many people were asking for recommendations from them, especially in the rush of winter. They should save it too in case you apply to other schools, or, with a few slight edits, scholarships.

Your teachers must have written these before so they should know what to do and not need a form to tell them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, concerning recommendations, I would suggest asking for them immediately. Your teachers will likely have a bunch to do, and they will appreciate being able to do some before the rush. And of course, having your teachers in an appreciative mood while writing your recommendation letter is a good thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry for going back to previous topics, but back on the job during university, i know it has been stated that holding a job on the second year is hard, but recently while talking to a dean i found out i do not have to take any liberal arts courses since I'm taking the full IB diploma---that does give you a lot more of free time; hence, would i be able to hold a job without the liberal arts or is it still complicated?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Depends. You have to have enough courses to be considered full time because of scholarship, and loan reasons, but you don't have to take as much as the normal student.

Sketch page coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, if you don't replace the liberal arts credits with studio credits, you won't be full time, which may be bad. If you do, you'll end up with more work, not less.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybeth View Post
    From my experience you just need to ask the teacher to write a letter of recommendation and they'll either type it up, give it to you to send; or type it up and put it in an sealed school envelope for you to send. There were a few teachers of the seniors last year at my school who were really good and so many people were asking for recommendations from them, especially in the rush of winter. They should save it too in case you apply to other schools, or, with a few slight edits, scholarships.

Your teachers must have written these before so they should know what to do and not need a form to tell them.
    Yea, I have asked teachers, but my art teacher asked what she should mention. And this confused me. What do I know about recomendation letters?? I would like her to mention nice things though. So I'm just a bit confused.

Also, concerning recommendations, I would suggest asking for them immediately. Your teachers will likely have a bunch to do, and they will appreciate being able to do some before the rush. And of course, having your teachers in an appreciative mood while writing your recommendation letter is a good thing.
    Yea, I'm trying to get everything together now, I don't want to have to stress out when everyone else is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suppose if not many people from your high school go to art schools, your art teacher may be unaccustomed to writing recommendations.

I would imagine that the ideal letter of recommendation would both back up what you say in your essay, and tell them things about you that can't be ascertained from your other admissions materials. Work ethic, attitude, method, and the like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always thought the idea of a reccomendation letter was kind of stupid. I mean, you're essentially asking a friend to say something nice about you.

It doesn't even really matter what they say about you either as far as your abilities go. Let's say your teacher says your the hardest worker ever, but your portfolio sucks, well I guess all that hard work didn't amount to anything. Same thing goes vice versa.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, if you don't replace the liberal arts credits with studio credits, you won't be full time, which may be bad. If you do, you'll end up with more work, not less.
    How would taking, lets say; Color Theory result to ending up with more work that taking Math?? Well whatever I'm also taking a minor so i surely wont have time.

Time wise however I'm a little confused: Is there a fixed time when classes start and end? as in, here for example everyone has to come to school at 8:30 and no matter what get out at 3:15. Does every class start at the same time, so as in, would there be someone that starts like after lunch and ends at 9 compared to someone that starts at 8 and ends at 5? What if you have a minor? I'm just confused about the times

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The earliest start time for classes is 8:30am. The latest class goes to 9:45pm. No one has classes between 11:15am and 12:30pm for lunch and such.

For example:
    Mon-Thurs I have classes 12:30-6:15pm (2 different classes each day) and I have a 10am class on Friday until 11:15am, its really the luck of the draw and what fits into the schedule with the classes you are taking. While i have classes everyday, my roommate has classes starting everyday at 8:30am and is off on Wednesday and the girl across the hall has no classes on Friday. To give a bit more of an understanding. And you'll have 5 classes your first semester which equals 15 hours class time.

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5