Page 10 of 115 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2009 hopefuls

Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    I'm not saying this to discourage anyone, but as a prospective student, I'm concerned about stuff like this, so I thought you guys might like to know. The average student debt for Ringling graduates is $70,00, compared to the comparatively meager $20,000 at institutes such as SCAD.

Just thought you guys aught to know. Keep in mind I'm not trying to convert you to SCAD, or turn you away from Ringling, I'm just speaking as a student whose funds are tight.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Bejeezus, this thread already has four pages?!

Its uhm...1:30am and I'm procrastinating on concept homework already sooo

Hey I'm Stephanie! I'm a sophomore computer animation major *high-fives thesinfulsaint* And I am so loving animation. Even Maya I'm catching on to... I'm really excited for this year!

And yeah, it seems like the faculty are really trying to cut down numbers... at the CA meeting they said there was something like 78 seniors this year-wow! And only 71 sophomore... and 71 freshmen I think?

I didn't have any transfer credits >8) That makes me badass!

...or just really stupid....
    I guess we'll see senior year!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    May I suggest showing them the average salary figures for animators?
    LAWL!!!! They're lookin pretty good at this point

@ votreMEDIA: But to answer your question about the scholarships,
    Nope I didn't get any myself, I keep kicking myself for it too because I had some time to do some nice paintings but I was way too lazy
    I was lucky enough to get about half my education funded though on the account that I'm poor and because I worked my ass off in high school

5. The Following User Says Thank You to copperfire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollesslauds View Post
    Well, I'm not Copperfire (sorry to disappoint), but I can give my two cents about the whole community college thing.
    AW MAN!!!
    Such a disappointment

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    LAWL!!!! They're lookin pretty good at this point

@ votreMEDIA: But to answer your question about the scholarships,
    Nope I didn't get any myself, I keep kicking myself for it too because I had some time to do some nice paintings but I was way too lazy
    I was lucky enough to get about half my education funded though on the account that I'm poor and because I worked my ass off in high school
    right now, im really trying to figure out how im gonna pay for my education because my gpa is about 2.8, i dont think i will qualify for any aid because my parents make too much money, and my parents dont support art school so i have a small chance of going there without scholarships or any aid

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by votreMEDIA View Post
    right now, im really trying to figure out how im gonna pay for my education because my gpa is about 2.8, i dont think i will qualify for any aid because my parents make too much money, and my parents dont support art school so i have a small chance of going there without scholarships or any aid
    gamble away their money until they have none and qualify for aid!
    are you a good enough artist for contests? lets see some work

Thanks
    It's a tough situation you are in. Don't take any courses at Ringling or any other private art school that can be taken at a community college. Your typical foundation art courses and liberal arts credits. These you can pay for yourself by getting a job. If you take these courses very seriously you can improve your art while earning a strong GPA which both will ultimately help you earn more scholarship money. The key here is to show maturity and responsibility so your parents know that their "investment" in you will be appreciated and made the most of.

I can't speak for your parents, but I would think if you showed them how much work you put in to get good grades and fund your own education, your parents might be more willing to make a deal with you to pay for the major classes at art school.

That's all I can think of for now, but don't let anyone force you into something you are not passionate about!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5coop View Post
    gamble away their money until they have none and qualify for aid!
    are you a good enough artist for contests? lets see some work
    well i dont have anything up now but i will scan a few pictures in later on, i will try and post a few of my digital works also to give you guys an idea of what my 3d modeling skill is like. also, is it true that it is harder to transfer to ringling as a sophmore? if so, im not sure if i really wanna do any classes at a community college

Thanks
    also, is it true that it is harder to transfer to ringling as a sophmore? if so, im not sure if i really wanna do any classes at a community college
    It's difficult, and often completely impossible. They accept about a hundred and ten freshmen, and by sophmore year they want it down to a hundred. So if less than ten people drop from the program, no slots will be available.

Though tthey will still accept you as a freshmen, and you'll be able to take a lot more electives and work more hours while there.

Thanks
    Hey there, try scholarships that involve your artwork, make your portfolio completely amazing and perhaps ringling will give you more scholarship money, try on that, look for local scholarships, I was in the same situation you are and I am here right now. I'm here at Ringling, it can be done, nothing is impossible you just have to have faith in it, if plan a can't work, find a plan b, don't give up, if you have to wait a year then wait a year, there is always a way to get to ringling.

Thanks
    Hey i was curious (sorry im drifting away from the votre topic) how do people tackle quick drawings? as in, youre in a coffee shop, you take your sketchbook out and want to draw people that obviously wont stand still--- what do you do to capture the moment? do you draw a quick skeleton, do you go straight in with the drawing? take your camera out hahaha what do you do? i stuggled for the longest time, at first i wouldnt even draw a skeleton i would just draw what i saw but im a slow drawer so it was horrible. Then i gradually decided to sketch every day in the subway since i take it anyways...i sometimes draw a quick skeleton then draw on top what i could remember... does anyone have a good technique?

Thanks
    5coop, a type of quick sketch like that could be considered a "gesture" drawing. In figure class we study these.. Google image it and you will find some examples. Basically you sketch the general shape of the person to get the idea of what they're doing in a very short period of time. You can use shapes or skeletons to map it quickly if you'd like.

You don't have to get too detailed. Not all of us have photographic memory The more you do, the better and faster you'll get!

Thanks
    hey i just want everyone to know that this thread has been really helpful. For the past 6 months, I have slowly come to realize that my degree in Drawing and Painting at a Texas University will not help me in the real world. I have been interested in attending Ringling (specifically the Illustration department) for some time, and just now have made the choice to attend.

Most of my questions have been answered by this thread, especially those regarding transfer credits since I will ineviatibly transfer.

I do have some questions:

How is the Illustration program? Does it prepare you for a career in which you can draw for a living?

Can someone compare SCAD to Ringling? How do their programs differ?

Questin for PirateLord78 Where did you get those statistics for the average debt of a SCAD grad and a Ringling grad? Or if anyone knows where to find those, that would help me and whoever else.

thanks a lot

Page 10 of 115 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 110 ... LastLast