How many pieces should I have before AP Art?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: How many pieces should I have before AP Art?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How many pieces should I have before AP Art?

I'm a year away from AP drawing portfolio. Because my schedule is air tight, and nothing can be moved, and I only have one art class this year. She went on to show me I need just to turn in which is 29 pieces, and I need to bring in everything I ever done before hand once I get to that class next year. My question is how many pieces should I do over the year before I get to that class?

Sketch page coming soon.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as many as you can! practice makes perfect and I remember when I was doing my portfolio I really wish I had some extra ones for my breadth section

i had to pad it with "old stuff" (like she's telling you to bring) and it really didn't match the rest of my portfolio

good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mescher View Post
    as many as you can! practice makes perfect and I remember when I was doing my portfolio I really wish I had some extra ones for my breadth section

i had to pad it with "old stuff" (like she's telling you to bring) and it really didn't match the rest of my portfolio

good luck
    Could you explain more about the sections of it. Like breadth, and quailty?

Sketch page coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quality is the five best pieces, which you send in originals of. These five can also be in your breath or concentration. Breadth is twelve pieces showing a variety of work, and the concentration is twelve pieces focused on one subject.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well you should do as many as you can, but don't rush for quantity. Because in my experience, probably next year when you ARE in AP, your skill level will have definitely improved. The only thing i struggled was with was coming up with ideas.

Though I scored a 5 i knew I could have done a way better portfolio.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i thought you only need 24 for an ap drawing portfolio, or any ap art portfolio for that matter, 23 or even 22 could be pushed if you put detail shots in your concentration slide sheet.
    i did a design portfolio, and turned in 23 pieces, and got a score of five, so i don't think the number of pieces you send in matters as much as the quality of the pieces you turn in.
    since you're a year ahead of your class in AP art, I suggest you use all the time working on a few quality pieces, maybe 3to 4 months on an epic painting you can work on with the free time you have between classes or on weekends.
    you won't feel rushed while working on it, so it won't be a botch job, and will come out with a few very nice looking pieces that can go in breadth or concentration that year, if not quality. ;D

i had the same problem with kedrew, sometimes i'd just feel completely out of ideas. x_x so i strongy advise. when you have an idea, JOT IT DOWN OH GOD ;ALKJDLAKDF.
    don't fret or rush. you've got plenty of time..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by a la bapsi View Post
    i thought you only need 24 for an ap drawing portfolio, or any ap art portfolio for that matter, 23 or even 22 could be pushed if you put detail shots in your concentration slide sheet.
    i did a design portfolio, and turned in 23 pieces, and got a score of five, so i don't think the number of pieces you send in matters as much as the quality of the pieces you turn in.
    since you're a year ahead of your class in AP art, I suggest you use all the time working on a few quality pieces, maybe 3to 4 months on an epic painting you can work on with the free time you have between classes or on weekends.
    you won't feel rushed while working on it, so it won't be a botch job, and will come out with a few very nice looking pieces that can go in breadth or concentration that year, if not quality. ;D

i had the same problem with kedrew, sometimes i'd just feel completely out of ideas. x_x so i strongy advise. when you have an idea, JOT IT DOWN OH GOD ;ALKJDLAKDF.
    don't fret or rush. you've got plenty of time..
    Thanks for the info. At least I have a few ideas for the quality pieces. Also should I try to dabble in printmaking, and add that to my portfolio, or stick with mediums I know?

Sketch page coming soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    dabbling and trying new mediums out= always good.
    I remember trying linoleum prints and scratchboard for the first time with my ap art class. Never hurts. If you like it, throw it in, if you don't, at least you gave it a chance.~

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.