Sketchbook: It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best

soooo finially I got the balls to make my own sktechbook...
    another sketchbook from a non professional who thinks he can do art but I just can't no longer be intimidated by the quality of the art is going on here...

First page... ummmm so I guess I should tell you all something about lil ole' me, huh?

k... I'm a 25 years old girl from Germany and am currently studying arthistory, wich I'm hopefully gonna finish about next year. I started drawing since the moment I could hold a pencil...drew ugly thingies on my wall like all kids do...

During school I was the big hit cos I drew some Manga stuff for other kids, and I guess it was about this time I decided to work in the artbusiness... I
    wasn't exactly sure what, it was only important that it was related to art. Later on I wanted to become an artist, but because of private and familial problems I had to rethink my plans... and so I didn't start studying Art but Arthistory becouse it was considered to be more....concrete, with which I would find a better job afterwards... however, I was convinced and did a pretty good job, but I always felt it was the second choise...
    During this time (2001) I stoped compleatly all my drawing and said to myself that I will never start again...

Till, february this year... I can't really say why, but I just couldn't keep lying to myself anymore. All I wanted was doing art, I realised that I never should have stopped!!! And since March this year I discovered the Power of Photoshop!!! Thats the moment I said to myself that I will finish my study but after that I will do anything I need to become a profssional artist

Well thats me out of the way (and if you are still reading, well done on surviving the crushing attacks of my wall of text)!!
    Now on to the fun stuff, I will try to summerise my artistic way up to today with some of my pictures... some of them are REALLY old (and bad)... so you can skip this part

It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the bestIt's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the bestIt's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the bestIt's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best
    It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the bestIt's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best
    It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the bestIt's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best

eeeeeewwww... yeah these were the very old ones

and now to the stuff I did since March

It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best[It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best

this last one is a WIP!! I'm going to add more details and switch the colors a bit
    but if anyone of you has some tips for me... please share it!!

yeah this was my little summary of my artistic work... of course this is just a selection, but I guess it's enough to make you see my progress

I'm very pleased I finally join the community of conceptart.org since there is some REALLY amazing stuff here, and like everybody else I hope to get better through this site! I will work very hard (hey I'm german) and try to improve fast!!

thanks for reading and looking at my stuff!!

bye bye folks

Diana

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by lilou; August 22nd, 2008 at 12:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, this is amazing!
    Great start! Keep it up!
    Haha, don't expect any critics from me by the way, coz i can't give any
    Deffinately subscribed!

Help me improve my drawing skills by commenting my sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see you starting a book! Looking forward to seeing your progress, for now let me say that the zombie piece made me laugh really hard Awesome!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 643 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet works!
    I love the improvment
    your pieces are great i love the great variety
    Nice digitals too!
    Really keep it up and am looking forward to seeing the rest

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Surionthanks for the nice words and I will update as ofen as I can

algenpfleger WOOOOWW I got an awesome from you !! thats more than I could exepct!! you really are a role-model for me, I will work as hard as I can to make a similiar progress as you did I know I can

lilnebo thanks dear, hope to see some of your new stuff soon too you're better than I was in your age!!

sooooo now's time for a lil' update I've been practicing some faces... really gotta work out my lines...

It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best
    It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best

Last edited by lilou; August 22nd, 2008 at 07:44 PM.
    meh sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=134723
    (shameless selfpromotion)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff! Read Angel Sanctuary much?

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I admire your drawings, very nice start, the latest post is the best. Keep uploading. Thanks for cheering me up by leaving a great post in my thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start! And it's always nice to see more "krauts" in here.

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice stuff in here, and you seem to have a passion for color. You need to just keep rocking it and develop your style^^

-E

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FightingSeraph thanks, umm but no I don't read Angel Sanctury anymore, but I used to back then when I was in school
    pijus thanks for da compliment, but you do a very good job too I will keep uploading!! thats for sure
    Tugelbend whahahahaha "krauts" its that what they call us? hahahahha!! yah its good to know you can understand my bad english
    Mischeviouslittleelf whoa, thanks means a lot from a good artist like you and yeah I love colours though I dont feel very confident in using them properly... uh... hope I will soon

so now to the latest drawings... nothing special this time... just tried some more cartoony style and some arms and hands after Hogarth....

It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyy danke für die tipps!

nice start for a sketchbook! it is important that you draw as much from real life as possible. lets say the people in the s-bahn or a coffeshop. that will improve your visual library and feel for life. keep up the work!!

cheerio

-antonio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, those are damn good for having been inactive for about 7 years. Great attitude, keep that up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff. I love the characters. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your introduction It's also a little bit the story of my life. I was doubting between art academy and a few other studies and choosed Multimedia and Design, because it was more secure to get a job. In that study we never got drawing lessons, but a lot of times artwork was needed. When making a website, computer game or flyer you sometimes need artwork, I was always the person who made that, lol.

Now I'm about to graduate in a month and I've decided to become a freelance illustrator. It's maybe a little more difficult to start without art academy, but I think I will be ok.

I really like your cartoons! I think you will be fine if you try to become an illustrator! You really should give it a try

http://www.nancyzonneveld.nl
    - illustrations, animations & games -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, you've got a real diverse range of styles in your sb.
    i really like this one:
    http://www.kendinibilir.de/diana/pinup.jpg
    the leg/foot angle is great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    many interesting stuff here :]
    continue ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoo! Welcome!
    *hugs

You've been putting so much effort in your art lately, I knew you'd end up here!
    Enjoy your stay and learn to love harsh crits

On to the actual sketchbook:
    Two major problems I've spot are edges (which are usually harder or softer than they should) and the fact that your characters sometimes look like they're floating instead of actually standing/sitting. Trying to improve the interaction between character and environment will help greatly. Make sure to take a look at Elwell's tutorial on edges

Also, an exercise I've found useful is painting with little or no lineart. This will push you out of your comfort zone and relieve you of all the I-don't-wanna-ruin-the-lines stress (I tend to suffer a lot from that)

Make sure to post some step by step WIPs, so we can fix problems as soon as possible. I'll be back as soon as you update

~cheers hon

Last edited by Nquyet; August 26th, 2008 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Welcome!
    Glad you are back on the road of art!
    Like the others said, there is a very nice diverse mix of art in here!

I SWEAR ON THE GRAVES OF ALL THE TALENTED FILIPINO ARTISTS WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, THE FILIPINO ART LEGACY WILL CONTINUE!

MY DAY JOB http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=136204

MY ANGRY SKETCHBOOKhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...129015&page=13

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it! Keep drawing and keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, what progress! And you've got really diverse styles going there, thats fantastic I love your muted color palette in one of your pieces in the first post. Its lovely. Great studies, keep 'em coming!

SSG Buddies
    Eerin | Hapun | Eromenos

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kfeeras no prob man and thanks for the advice too I'm still using too much photoreference instead of life models .... gonna get this better soon
    Kurjuus indeed!! I thought it would take me years to get in to the subject again after such a long time... well good for me I guess....
    Caffeine_stream thank you! and I will
    nancy_kelpie wow you read all the text !!?!! but yeah, I know exactly what you mean... but lets hope the best for both of us and thank you for your kind words I will give it not only a try but do everything it costs to make out a living from my art
    newman wow!!! THANKS sir! glad you like this one, guess I've done it right then
    Towarlock hehe thanks and yupp I will
    Nquyet wheeeee hello hello *hugs you really hard*
    read all your journals on DA, and really feel with you, if I ever can do something, just say it ! You've got a friend out here
    yeah! give me the harsh crits, I love them !!
    I totally agree with you and there are even more major problems like the skins always looking kinda splotchy...gnaaaah... gotta practice on this... oh thankies for da link, its a good one yeah i tried this out and the result was... ummm... well, not good.... maybe I'll have the balls to try it out again ok the WIPs thing is good, hope I wount forget *me is in total daze lately*

yup, same goes for me! as soon as you post I'll be there to revege your crits *evil grin* so lets push ech other to the next level

bye

the ANGRY filipino thanks, I 'm glad about it too, and yupp diverse mix is gooood
    Pixie Bergman yes I will
    Eerin wow !!! , thank you love your work so much!! thanks for the encouragement!!

soooo it's been some days since I've uploadet *yeah, I'm a lazy fatass* no seriously... university just needs a lot of my attention right now....

It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best It's all in here... the worst, the bad, the good, and the best

Last edited by lilou; August 29th, 2008 at 07:52 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 678 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Compared to yuor (old I assume? ) manga stuff.. your new works are so much better! I really like your hand studies.. full of life..
    show more.

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DefiledVisions yupp the anime stuff is oooooold!! I wouldn't say that I don't do it anymore, but only if I get paid for it... otherwise I prefer a more.... well, mature style and thanks for da visit to my sb, I really appreciate it and yupp I will upload more anatomy and handstudies but for now I got something more colorfull....

these are four schoolbookillustrations I did for a teacherfriend of mine hope I get to illustrate the whole book one day

this one I did some weeks ago, but yeah I guess I would do some things different now

bye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those new pieces are great!

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I am impressed at all the different styles you've dabbled in. It's hard to find your own style, and I think you're well on your way. Nice job with the fabric pattern on the last picture. =)

The only problem I have with it is AARGH LENS FLARE!11
    But this is probably the only picture I've ever seen where it makes sense to use one...

Other than that, I think you should study human expressions more. Try a book such as this one. They have one for adults as well, I found it very useful. Then again, it's cheaper (and more fun) to just use a mirror and/or webcam for crazy face reference. XD

Please visit my page!
    Critiques are highly appreciated.
    C'mon. Make my day.
    SISTER CLAIRE: Pregnant Nun, Holy Crap:
    www.sisterclaire.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there lilou! Thankyou for dropping by my sb!
    Things are looking tight! The last one that is coloured is amazingly nice with the light and stuff! It's good that you've choosen to dich the animestyle, even though it's hard. I also started out with manga and anime, and you can still see tracks of it.
    Hope to see more!

Smell ya!

Hey, Come visit:

And also:

SuiraDefiledVision Snobby

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    latest stuff is very nice, calmness to my eyes. Post more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing paintings! SUPPER!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 678 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet updates Lilou! Especially like the book illustration.. a dream of mine is also to illustrate a complete book, would be so much fun.
    As what Yamiloo said.. to add up on that, a simple mirror on your table is realllly handy I've learnt so much by just doing some different expressions.

keep it up.
    -DV

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ich freu mich für dich das du so eine leidenschaft für zeichnen und malen hast das du dein ganzes leben umkrempeln willst um artist zu werden. das sieht man echt selten. du machst das schon. zeig was du kannst. ich bin gespannt drauf.
    grüße aus düsseldorf

p,s, sorry that i wrote in english it seemed to be easier for me in this moment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1