Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts

Favorite Recipes

I'm nothing of a cook, but I'd like to learn how. I figure this might be a good place to share recipes? Who knows. I will try and share what I know as best I can remember it. This first one is for a great cheese fondu, my mom learned from her Swiss roomate back in college.

Ingrediants:
    2 bottles white wine (preferably Nuchatel, or Muscadet)
    1/2 pound gruyere
    1/2 pound emanthaler
    1 clove garlic
    1 table spoon or so Potato Starch (or Corn Starch)
    1 shot Kirsch (cherry brandy)
    2 loaves french bread
    3 apples
    3 pears

Instructions
    1. You'll need a fondu pot, first off. Take the garlic and just mush it around the inside of the pot, till it's gone. This helps keep the cheese from sticking and adds flavor. If you love garlic, you may add a couple whole cloves to just sit in it and eat afterwards. I have a friend from Gilroy, CA (garlic world capital) who ate it after cooking the fondu and said it was the best garlic she ever tried.

2. Pour in one of the bottles of wine and bring it to a simmer. (don't over flow the pot if you got a small one)

3. Grate the cheese and add it slowly into the wine, while stirring in a figure-8 pattern with a wooden spoon. Repeat until all cheese is in. This should take about an hour.

4. Once all the cheese is in and melted, mix the potato starch with the Kirsch and add to the mix. This helps thin the fondu so there won't be clumps of cheese.

5. Now you're ready to set it on a burner on the dinner table and serve. Dip with the bread and fruit, and enjoy.

My mom would shout at this point, "don't forget, if anyone drops their bread in, they have to kiss everyone around the table." It made for a bit of embarrassment when she dropped hers on purpose back in highschool, when my brother had friends over. First and last time they ever came.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Pork n' Bean Cake. Google rawks.

Thanks
    I love to cook (It's way more fun than doing dishes). What I love about cooking is all the little micro techniques you learn over time, that eventually combine to perform a great dinner... like making flavorful ground beef... or making a delicious sauce from the dregs of sauteed chicken... etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    There's already a recipe thread... lemme see if i can find it.

edit: here you go: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=117682

6. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post: