Digital painting techniques (blending colors) - Which one to use??

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Digital painting techniques (blending colors) - Which one to use??

Well I am just learning some digital painting in Photoshop... and I found several digital painting styles, most popular being smudge style where you use smudge tool in Photoshop to create smooth transitions between color, and other style where you don't use smudge tool but making those transitions only with brush tool with different variations on brush color and opacity...

So which of those two styles can you recommend me as a better one and why? Which one do you use? I tried both but still not sure which one should I stick to, and what is the difference in results...

So I just need some tips on coloring those transitions after putting some rough colors... Any tips much appreciated...

Thanks )

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use my option key and pick up the variations between the colors, and have my brush presets set with other dynamics. Hardness depends on what I'm doing, though. I also haven't been using photoshop for art until recently. I was drawing for a long time, and used photoshop for my photography; I'm still learning. I'm glad I had PS when I decided to start working toward digital arts, it would be one more thing I would have to buy and I was able to use a lot of the skills I had before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From what I've seen, most people newer to digital painting tend to overuse the smudge tool.

I suppose the temptation is there because a lot of natural media doesn't blend as readily, so the ide of blending all pixels without worrying about any "dryness" of paint seems like a dream come true.

But that dream turns into a nightmare when the piece starts to look muddy and dead. But those subtle signs of overlapping where the painter used lower opacity and a lot of color-picking add life and sparkle to paintings, so stick to that.

Also, set opacity variance to "pen pressure" so you can change your opacity more intuitively.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zirngibism For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoe2 View Post
    Well I am just learning some digital painting in Photoshop... and I found several digital painting styles, most popular being smudge style where you use smudge tool in Photoshop to create smooth transitions between color, and other style where you don't use smudge tool but making those transitions only with brush tool with different variations on brush color and opacity...

So which of those two styles can you recommend me as a better one and why? Which one do you use? I tried both but still not sure which one should I stick to, and what is the difference in results...

So I just need some tips on coloring those transitions after putting some rough colors... Any tips much appreciated...

Thanks )
    Get used to using a hard round brush only. Lower the opacity for blending and eyedrop much like GhostValkyrie to get blend results. To get softer transitions lower the Flow setting on the brush which will help you blend. Increase the flow when you want harder edges. Master that one brush using those settings, then move on to the smudge tool to refine "selective areas to blend instead of all over the place.

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wheezy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My advice would be stay away from the smudge tool. Not only will it give you bad results, but will also seriously hamper your progress.

I say block in your colours first, and then reduce your brush size and paint in lower opacity. Use the alt key like crazy, paint and resample.

This is a thread by one of the CA monster artists, Min:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107217

Post#1 and post#3 should help.

Sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do not rely on the smudge tool...pick up the variations between colors, lower the opacity, and use the smudge tool only if you need too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I use smudge tool.. but NOT to blend.. more like a smeary look but other than that.. it's not very useful as far as painting goes.. I've always treated it more like a tool.. for an effect.

useing smudge tool to blend is as said here.. not a good way to go on about painting in photoshop.. it can really get rather dull and messy.

colour picking is most widely used method and probably easiest to deal with. But there are many artists who don't realy on blending.. but just putting down the right colours flat. it really depends on what works best for you I suppose. Experiment, but try and leave smudge tool out of it and go for simpler approach.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bumskee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bumskee View Post
    I use smudge tool.. but NOT to blend.. more like a smeary look but other than that.. it's not very useful as far as painting goes.. I've always treated it more like a tool.. for an effect.

useing smudge tool to blend is as said here.. not a good way to go on about painting in photoshop.. it can really get rather dull and messy.

colour picking is most widely used method and probably easiest to deal with. But there are many artists who don't realy on blending.. but just putting down the right colours flat. it really depends on what works best for you I suppose. Experiment, but try and leave smudge tool out of it and go for simpler approach.

If you dont mind me asking, is that the tool you are using in this painting: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1311398858

The smudge tool? I notice you are smearing your colors around nicely, but can't tell if that's even photoshop in that painting. I'd love to know the secret

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    artzealot, it's the smudge. it's all done in photoshop. I suppose the best result is to treat it as an effect and not the sort of smudge you normally associate it with. just make sure you have a solid painting before start smudging and do it moderately I suppose.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bumskee For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 12