Silrathus the demon (WIP) (updated 31-08)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Silrathus the demon (WIP) (updated 31-08)

Updates at the bottom of the thread.

I decided to re-do a digital painting I did in May 2007 (here for the curious), as I think I've improved in technical competence and understanding of anatomy since then.

Obviously, it's still nowhere near finished. I'm going to add colour later; I want to try and get it readable in just greys first. The white-ish irises are temporary; they're just there to remind me where to put the real irises later.
    Besides generally finishing and tidying it, what needs work? Someone on another board said the cheekbone ridges need a little revision, so I'll try to fix those next.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Bob Todd; September 1st, 2008 at 09:05 AM. Reason: thumbnail change
    If your only goal is to be as good as Scroobius Pip, then as soon as you achieve that your standards'll slip.
    But if your only goal is always to improve on yourself, then the quest is never over no matter how big your wealth.

-- Dan le Sac & Scroobius Pip, 'Fixed'

My website - contains photography, illustration, and Creative Commons textures you're free to use in your own images!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some tweaks. Something's still bothering me about the eyes, but I don't know what.

If your only goal is to be as good as Scroobius Pip, then as soon as you achieve that your standards'll slip.
    But if your only goal is always to improve on yourself, then the quest is never over no matter how big your wealth.

My website - contains photography, illustration, and Creative Commons textures you're free to use in your own images!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tidied up some more, tried to correct some problems, and added a rough colour overlay. I'm pretty happy with it, but I've been looking at it so much I can't see what's wrong with it any more, so I need your eyes.

I want to add some different coloured shadows/highlights so as to make use of complementary colours, but I want to make sure the monochrome looks okay first.

Last edited by Bob Todd; August 21st, 2008 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, pretty good concept.

I think the symmetry of a lot of the features are off, and since there are so many features its making things confusing and feel like it lacks structure. It also has some anatomy issues that make it feel kind of Picasso-ish (the nose is vertically straight and the mouth isn't centered with the rest of the face.)

I'd start over (don't worry it'll go alot faster the second time) and don't worry about the horns, ears and other little elements till you have the structure of the rest of the head solid. It looks like you tried to draw them combined with the basic skull and it messed up the shape. The ears and horns may be connected but they need to look like separate elements so construct them separately.

Hope that helps! Rock on.

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Left eye (our right) is down a little. Not over much; but that might be what's bothering you.

The tusk on his right (our left) is set too high. It's coming through his upper lip where the other one is coming out of the corner of his mouth.

His left tusk (our right) Is very strongly lit, and that might just be fighting with the curve of his face. Does that make sense to you?

Hope that's some help....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mute, thanks for the pointer on the mouth and nose, but I'm not sure what you mean by "the mouth isn't centered with the rest of the face". Does it need to go further left?
    Yes, starting over would be a good idea, but I think I'll play with this one a little more just to see what happens.

Alesoun, thanks for the tips on the eye and tusks. I just did a very rough edit and already it looks somewhat better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man!

Correct, the mouth needs to be further left, but not the whole mouth, just where it's center line is.

The mouth sits on a ball shape (think of how a monkeys mouth is, just not as extreme) so, like the nose, its centerline, or where the center of the lips would be, is no in line with the overall center line of the face. From this angle, the centerline of the mouth would be slightly to the left.

Check it out, the blue lines are the centerline of the face (speculated):
    Name:  HeadC.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  34.4 KB

...and heres a quick sketch I did to illustrate my point. The eyes and nose aren't really relevant (though you might be able to see where your nose is kinda iffy) but I needed them as a reference point to get the mouth on there alright.... Name:  face.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  32.8 KB

Notice how the center of the features "arc" off the centerline of the face. Hope that makes my point clearer....Rock on!

Last edited by Mute; August 21st, 2008 at 10:17 PM.
    ...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for taking the time to do a paintover, Mute. I really appreciate it.

I'm going to call this 'terminated' rather than 'finished', because I think I've eked out all that I can from it and it would be better to start a new one. I'm not planning to refine this one any further any more, but crits are still welcome so I can take them on board for next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After getting crits I'm going to take Mute's advice and re-do this.
    I want to start doing his feathers, scales and horn ridges but I'm going to wait until I've got the main anatomy right first (though I couldn't resist doing a little bit of work on his eyebrow scales). Here's what I have so far. Is it still too early on for submission?

MiniGoth mentioned in the CC thread that "The ear feels like it's coming right out of the temple - I'm not sure if this is intentional or not". It's sort of intentional in that his tragus and ear hole are meant to be in the normal place (i.e. where they would be on a human head), but the ridge that forms the top edge of his earlobe continues down to his temple. The only reason for that is that I thought it looked cool -- if it's just going to make people think 'what's up with his ear?' I'll change the design and give him a normally-placed ear.

I tried to fix the tusks following Craz's comment, and I also moved them a bit further towards the centre, because they're supposed to be his canines and the canines aren't right at the corners of one's mouth.

I think his horns might not be symmetrical.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried flipping the image to check for overlooked errors, and I think it seems to come off the page better that way round, so I'll probably keep it that way. What do other people think?

I lengthened the ears a bit, then realised that at this angle we shouldn't be able to see the furthermost ear, not if they're both pointing backwards (I tried holding some pencils up to my head and looking in a mirror). So that one's gone. Now I want the horns to be symmetrical -- I think the furthermost one now needs to go behind his head some more. I'm still not sure about the tusks; I think they're asymmetrical.

And yes, the eyes need work; I accidentally made him look shocked.

What about the rest of the face? Is it readable? Are my highlights too bright?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The new one is lookin' much better already.

Last edited by Psychotime; August 27th, 2008 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry to bombard this thread with updates. I'll slow down now.

Worked the horns a bit more - I think I'm getting there. Also I 'normalised' the ear instead of having it continue down to the temple. Changed the eyes a bit -- the expression I want is 'nonchalantly pissed off'; sort of "I could kill you if only I could be bothered," but I think he just looks sleepy/stoned at the moment.

I made his nose larger; I want it to be quite big and a bit beak-like (seeing as he's a feathery demon). Yes, the sharp bend in it is deliberate. In the previous version of this pic, though, the nose looked more sideways-on, and I want to avoid that this time. I think I'm getting it right (I stuck some clay to my face and looked at myself in a mirror).

Still not sure about whether the tusks and philtrum are right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'Cos it's my thread and I'll post an update if I want to.

I showed the previous image to another board, and they said the chin was receding, so I tried to bring that forward. Also that his eyebrow scales were angled too far to the left, so I tried making them point the same way his face is. Same goes for his genal (jaw hinge) scales; they were rolled inwards too much, so I've tried to make them as though they're lying in the same plane as the jaw. I was also told the head was too flat -- and I realised that I had the bulk of his head-feathers blocked in so that they distorted the outline of the head, so I plucked his feathers. I'll draw some back in on another layer when I'm happy with the shape of his head.

Also moved the ear a bit further back, as it was still too close to the temple.

I have been very naughty and have started to add a bit of detail even though I should still be working on the larger anatomy at this stage. Those scales are just too fun to paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    start solidifying some of our planes on the head. All of those low opacity strokes can be reworked for one larger stroke of a similar value and read much better.

Edges... think about your edges...

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've looked through the entire thing so far: you've made some massive improvements!

You could play with the design of the eye a bit more: turn the pupils into slits, add more of the white of the eye above or below the iris to make him look more sinister and mentally unstable, etc.(!) As the pic's in grey, you could colour the iris in red, yellow, etc. to really make it pop. I liked it better when he was looking directly at you/me/the viewers, as if to challenge us.

There seems to be a lot of light reflecting off the lower horn on the right side of his head. It looks like it's positioned so forward enough to be directly in the light source; it may require a shadow from the head of the horn above that one to make it even out, or revise your light source and cut out unnecessary detail. (Same thing's happening on his right tusk, a bit!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback, both of you. I'm going to go and work on this some more with your suggestions in mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made him change direction again; I'm undecided as to which is best.

I'm starting to decelerate with this, as I think all I have left to do is tidy it up all the scraggy bits; I think I've pretty much finished it structurally (apart from his neck and clavicles; they still need attention). Of course, I want to know if I haven't -- no point wasting good gravy on a failpie.

I've included the coloured version as it is so far, as well as one without colours. I fear I may be making it a bit muddy and unreadable with the colours. I hope it's obvious that the red stuff is just his natural pigmentation and not a spray of gore.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick update before I go to bed.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.