Thanks

An inked piece for you to thrash at!

This is a small thing I whipped up for an RPG company. It's 'test' art. Yea, heh. It seems like I am being asked to do alot of 'test' art ( ) these days. This is the last I'm gonna do. No more 'test' art unless it's paid. Wanna see how good I am or what I like to make, look at my portfolio!

Anyway. Thrash at this one here you thread lurkers. Give it your harshest critics...help a guy get better.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It's too black and white. It needs a lot more greys (or shading of some sort) to give it definition.

Thanks
    I'm guessing you want the cape to function as a graphic element (subjective opinion here), but I think it is a bit harsh... I want to look at his face, but my eyes keep skipping down to the huge white area... The contrast is greatest there, so it becomes a big attention grabber. Also the cloth covering his shoulders and upper body looks like it could use some folds and stuff... you've defined the shape of his arms underneath, but it would stretch and fold according to where the tensionpoints in the cloth is... like... folds will radiate out from the shoulders towards the chest, getting more and more relaxed along the way... Check out Bridgmans "Drawing the Draped Figure" for example.. lotta good stuff in there!

Hope it helps! The idea is cool.. I read a lot of Conan back in the day, and that totally looks like sword and sorcery goodness

dC

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Face is detailed; snakes are detailed. What happened in between?

Where's the shading on his body or his cloak?
    You did such a good job on the first two, but it looks like you lost interest or ran out of time on the midsection.

Take the time to balance this out.

Thanks
    Thanks for you crits people. Alesoun was the one who got it right though. In my penciled version everything is rendered, there are folds on the drapery, it is shaded, and the cape underneath is dark and shadowy (the light is top-down).

The reasons I didn't do this in the inked version were a)I was pretty tired and I wanted to send it, so I felt it wouldn't matter and b)I was frustrated and angry for having to slave over art that was made as a 'test' just so those dudes at the RPG company could determine my style. It seemed to me that my portfolio, which they liked, indicated enough and I felt all this test stuff was BS.

So, I felt this showed enough. From what I understand they didn't like it cause they haven't replied, I don't care, I wasn't going to do anything for them unless we talked about the rates. They said they would offer $5 for quarter page art (printing size), $10 for half page and $15 for whole page! The standard for medium sized companies, and this Cthulu RPG publishing company is medium sized and has a big rep, is $15 for quarter page, $25 for half and $50+ for full depending on what your making! I wasn't going to do anything for less so if they liked the art and refused to pay I wouldn't work with them anyway.

I am going to finish this tho, just to get your opinions on it.