Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Intuos3 Special Edition versus Normal Edition

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Intuos3 Special Edition versus Normal Edition

According to Wacom's site, Special Edition means:

The Intuos3 Special Edition:

* Comes in a sophisticated, handsome black and gun metal gray color (versus metallic or satin gray)
    * Includes an Intuos3 Classic Pen, in addition to the Intuos3 Grip Pen
    * Includes an alternate transparent overlay
    * Includes a Professional Accessory Kit that includes: 5 Standard nibs, 5 Felt nibs, 5 Stroke nibs, 5 Flex nibs, an alternate Pen Grip (without side switch holes), a nib removal tool and a replacement side switch.

With a cool new look and valuable accessories, the Intuos3 SE promises to bring the work of digital content creation to a new level of enjoyment for the serious designer, photographer, and artist. Turn on the full power of Adobe Photoshop, Corel Painter, and over 100 other leading software applications.

Intuos pen tablets use Wacom's professional pen technology to give you the natural feel and superior performance of our patented, cordless and battery-free technology. Intuos3 tablets run on both PCs and Macs.
    What is alternate transparent overlay?

From what I've found on Google Images, SE has a very, very and very shining black colour. This shining thing bothers me pretty much. Ordinary edition has a mat (or half-mat) colour. Is what I'm saying correct? Would anyone give a self-made photo, especially 6x11/A5 wide (I don't want those marketing photos, they're looking pretty different than in reality)?

Besides the colour difference, there's are accessories differences.

Ordinary edition has only Grip Pen, 1 stroke nib, 1 felt nib, and 3 standard nibs.

Special edition has additionaly Classic Pen, 5 Standard nibs, 5 Felt nibs, 5 Stroke nibs, 5 Flex nibs, an alternate Pen Grip (without side switch holes), a nib removal tool and a replacement side switch.

Questions:

What are differences between Classic Pen and Grip Pen?

Is it a good idea to have so many nibs? Do they get used so fastly?

And the final and general questions - do you think it's a good idea to buy a Special Edition, or it's just a.. marketing move?

Last edited by Tonic; August 20th, 2008 at 05:33 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The extra nibs are cool, but you don't really need so many. I'm using the same nib for one year now. The Classic pen is… well why would you need a classic pen when you already have the grip pen? The transparency overlay is the only thing in the box that really makes sense, because they wear out pretty fast. On the other hand, it's not worth the increase in price.

But the color is cool. It's exactly the same as the normal edition in terms of reflection and gloss, just in cool black instead of gray. But still, too much money to be spent just to get another color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I for one find the Classic pen way more comfortable, maybe it's because I started with a Intuos 1.

GhostValkyrie is offline The deep satisfaction of radical ends.. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see it really being all that worth it, especially if you have one in good shape already. The overlay is nice, but you can always keep the pad in shape by cleaning/washing it gently. Replacements aren't that pricey either.

Unless you're hard up for a new one, stick with what you have already.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, as I see it, Intuos4 is just around the corner, so that's another reason not to go for the SE. Special Editions tend to be totally ignored once a new generation is out. So selling it in favor of a next-gen Wacom will be hard.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 556 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    Actually, as I see it, Intuos4 is just around the corner, so that's another reason not to go for the SE. Special Editions tend to be totally ignored once a new generation is out. So selling it in favor of a next-gen Wacom will be hard.
    intuos 4 is coming up? oooh... i'm thinking of possibly saving up for a cintiq for at home...maybe i should wait a little bit.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a thought, I don't have info on a possible Intuos4 line, but seeing that Intuos3 will soon be as old as Intuos2 was when it was replaced... well, just a thought.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uhm, there's a small mistake. I haven't bought tablet yet - I'm going to buy in few days and I'm thinking whether it's worth to buy Special Edition, or better to buy a normal one.

Next questions based on what you have said:

1). So I can remove overlay from tablet? Is it possible to buy it separately, as accessory, so I could exchange? How a Intuos3 tablet is constructed? First layer is a overlay on which you draw, second layer is a plastic case, third layer (or rather below plastic case) electronic picks signals from pen? In other words, is a overlay only thing that can get used? I'm just worrying about expensive tool I've dreamed for long time

2). So basically Classic Pen and Grip Pen do the exactly same thing and they differs only in way how they are holded by our hands?

Regarding Intuos4, I've tried to learn about it and it appears that Wacom doesn't plan to build it - I didn't find any official annoucements. Although, Wacom seems to tell about new products as they're out. There was question worth to think about - what Wacom would add to Intuos4? A lot of people think that there isn't much what can be upgraded. And people do incredible things on Intuos3, don't you think? ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Intuos3 brought the touch strips, which I for one don't give a **** about because I have my tablet at the right side of my monitor and not centered, thus it's way to complicated to use any of the buttons on the thing.

Overlay: Yes, you can remove it. It's glued to the tablet and spare covers cost way to much imo. I just put the front cover of a sheet protector on the tablet with spray mount and it works fine (although there should be better things to use, smoother ones). I just don't see why I should pay 20 bucks - i think - for a replacemnt.

Pens: That's just a question of which one you like more. The Grip Pen is pretty big, so if you have small hands, it can get a bit uncomfortable. The classic pen is slim, but doesn't have rubber coat so that might become uncomfy as well. If you can, get them in your hands before you decide.

Besides the plastic cover, the pen nibs are the parts of the tablets that wear out. But as I said, they are pretty stable and the standard amount of replacement nibs should do as well, you don't really need 5 of them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, that helps a lot. Though, I still have doubts

1). Could anyone measure dimensions of *working area* of Intuos3 A5 wide and Intuos3 A4? Really, I'm begging you

I'm asking because the official informations, photos and people's opinions are pretty confusing when it comes to dimensions. I'm asking for dimensions measured in reality, so I would see how A5 wide and A4 differs.

2). Another question - since tablets are much smaller than 24" widescreen monitor, the cursor will move faster than pen tip. So.. how it was for you, did you just get used? Or perhaps it's a argument to buy a bigger tablet (in my case, A4), so cursor speed would be closer to pen tip's?

3). What are disadvantages of buying a bit oversized tablet (let's say you bought A4 ( 9x12 ) and it turns out that A5 ( 6x8 ) would be a optimum for you)? I know only one disadvantage - additional space may be wasted, same goes for money. But - are there any other disadvantages?

P.S. I know if I had to buy A4, I would have cut the bottom part by 4cm in order to get 16:10 ratio - am I right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1) The dimensions stated by Wacom ARE the working areas.

2) If you have a 24" screen, A5 should be minimum, meaning don't get A6! I work on a 22" monitor with an A5 and don't have any problems with the ratio. Just keep in mind, the bigger the tablet, the more you have to move the arm!

3) See above. A4 is very big, you have to move your arm a lot! You can always downsize the working area tho, so wasting space is right, yeah.

PS: Yes, you have to cut something off of the working area.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    1) The dimensions stated by Wacom ARE the working areas.
    I know, but what I've found on web, confused me. For example, there was certain person who stated that Wacom A4 has bigger working area than A4 paper. That's why I asked you about dimensions to ensure and make "paper" models to make a visual comparing

2) If you have a 24" screen, A5 should be minimum, meaning don't get A6! I work on a 22" monitor with an A5 and don't have any problems with the ratio. Just keep in mind, the bigger the tablet, the more you have to move the arm!

3) See above. A4 is very big, you have to move your arm a lot! You can always downsize the working area tho, so wasting space is right, yeah.
    Well, many people told that size is a mainly personal matter. From what I've learned, A5 is well suited for those who draw using mainly wrist and A4 for those who also moves arm.

From other side, A4 sounds more versatile - you can work not only with A4 working area, but also with A5, after fiddling with settings. With Wacom A5 I wouldn't have this choice.

Man, it's hard to make a good choice!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My Intous 3 A5 Wide S.E. (EU) came with the Grip pen and airbrush pen. The airbrush pen is nice because it has an analog wheel, good for controlling opacity while having pressure set to radius... although I haven't used it much yet. It's not very comfy to hold. I'm not used to the grip pen either. Mu old intous 1 pen doesn't seem to register on the tablet, I've picked it up a few times by mistake.

I had an A4 before. A5 is half the size, but A5 Wide is larger. It seems to be sufficient for my 24". I had a 17" with my old A4 and I always thought the strokes were a bit too long, and the tablet was rather big and clumsy.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonic
    Well, many people told that size is a mainly personal matter. From what I've learned, A5 is well suited for those who draw using mainly wrist and A4 for those who also moves arm.

From other side, A4 sounds more versatile - you can work not only with A4 working area, but also with A5, after fiddling with settings. With Wacom A5 I wouldn't have this choice.

Man, it's hard to make a good choice!
    In those cases, I usually decide for the cheaper version, because hesitating so long instead of drawing on the Wacom can't be a good sign

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Head over to the show you're studios thread found in the ART DISCUSSION forum. Go to the last page and you'll see a shot of my SE A4. I think the A4 is just a perfect size not insanely huge. Plus Spending money on something that'll last for many a year is not a waste especially since it look like the SEX!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.