Art: ::: The Architectural / Interior / Landscape Design Group ::: [08.01.10] - Page 3

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello!...first/second year architecture student here...I really like this idea and maybe learning some from you more experienced students/architects/concept artists...because I feel like we're on the same page regarding the technical side of architecture(including constructions sites, materials, concrente, steel, different construction systems, etc. telephone calls, etc.) and our passion for art/awesomeness...

I'm from Bolivia but live in the US, that makes me special, so visit my sketchbook!
    "DOO EET NAW!!!!" --->

Sketchbook V 1.0: Not very good--->Page 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,Page 10 <---<---recommended!

-Arnold Scharzenegger
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright... I'll go first!

Here's the first phase of a 4 part project I'm working on right now, should be finished by Friday. This model is at 1/2"=1'0" so it's quite tall and detailed for a simple wall section of a commercial building. 2 floors, steel construction, and lots of interaction between materials.

EDIT: Added some photos of the actual building! Gonna do an overall model next with a detail focus on the 2nd floor's beautiful canopy.

I've also included some photos of a wall system I designed for my studio to keep our class separate from the other 3. Our space is limited to 17.5x30, fits 18 drafting desks, pinup and shelf space, and a conference table... it's an extremely minimal space which caused me to think of an essentialist approach to the design. The segments between the larger panels are sliding, inset doors. Strangely, we were the only studio out of 9 that didn't use cardboard. The larger section across the hall with 5 classes has a terrible, thick aroma of old cardboard and Elmer's glue... No thanks.

Back to work!!! Good luck to everyone whether it's academic projects or serious working jobs.

I'll have lots more soon.

Your turn! POST.

Attached Images Attached Images                        
    Last edited by IanE; September 18th, 2008 at 11:57 PM.
    Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

nice work man. i have to do something kind of like that next weekend. it's a section of a wood house, we have to show foundation, linings and ceiling, with all the beams and columns that were using... i believe it has to be 1:20

would be nice to hear some advice on that

In any case, i'll be posting some progress for my town square in the next few weeks for some critics =D

in any case, here are a couple of streets i had to remodel for my last project...

Before
    Name:  100_1840.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  39.4 KB
    Name:  100_1843.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  47.6 KB

After
    Name:  Calle2.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  23.4 KB
    Name:  Calle1.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  29.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice remodels, though I fear that the people who decide to walk anywhere but the crosswalk might end up tripping on the lip you've designed for the edge of the sidewalk... does it serve a purpose? I know nothing of public street design yet haha.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IanE wow! great model. I think models are incredibly useful as a design instrument for the designer and as a mean to show the project to clients (and, like free-hand drawing, too understimated in my university).

Muscari Is it a real model or a digital one? (it looks like it's real but it could be a very realistic rendering) If it's real it's very well made.
    P.S. For a second before seeing the photos of the model I thought the second photo of the street was your project, filling the street above with coloured stuffed puppets. More art than architecture but could be very funny...

Last edited by revenebo; September 17th, 2008 at 05:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by IanE View Post
    Nice remodels, though I fear that the people who decide to walk anywhere but the crosswalk might end up tripping on the lip you've designed for the edge of the sidewalk... does it serve a purpose? I know nothing of public street design yet haha.
    It's for water draining. since the vehicular and pedestrian space is very limited i decided to add that detail to use efficiently as much space as i could. though the pedestrian's ramp isn't there since i forgot to place it xP (you can see it in one of the street's though)

Quote Originally Posted by revenebo View Post
    IanE wow! great model. I think models are incredibly useful as a design instrument for the designer and as a mean to show the project to clients (and, like free-hand drawing, too understimated in my university).

Muscari Is it a real model or a digital one? (it looks like it's real but it could be a very realistic rendering) If it's real it's very well made.
    P.S. For a second before seeing the photos of the model I thought the second photo of the street was your project, filling the street above with coloured stuffed puppets. More art than architecture but could be very funny...
    it's IRender, for sketch up. i was going to use 3DS to give it a white clay treatment but decided to show the general colors...

would be funny to stuff a street with piñatas though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muscari : hehe you got me too! I was thinking "man do they have a weird sence for remodelling there!!!" But then again, piniatas would be a beautifull wayto spice up a street!!!!

Stunning models anyway, the sidewalk lip caught my eye too, though if it's for water draining it'll have a grid in front I guess, so that it doesn't get stuffed with leaves and stuff, so people won't trip on it either....

IanE, I can only imagine how painful that model was to make. My personal experience with constructional detail models, is that they're a real chore... It looks great though, so I guess it's worth the hours....

Do you model a lot of existing work? I know it's common practice in the US for undergrads to model even entire famous buildings, I actually saw a hallway full of them when I went to Columbia, and it felt strange... Modelling someone elses work doesn't feel like the best way to learn things... Although at the level of detail that you are using here, It's understandable, since constructional details, screws,bolts and framework are prefabricated elements, and studying them in real life is probably the best way to go...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys, i'm in a bit of a pickle this days. see, i've been put to design a pedestrian pass, well, more like a bridge, between 2 buildings(space is about 24 meters, roughly 80 feet). but i haven't found any real references for structures of that type (any design is okay, just need structural details). so i was wondering if any of you guys had some references that you might find useful for such a project?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Details depend on the type of structure (large span beams, lattice trusses, arch, suspended, etc.) and where the bridge itself rests. Some extra information?
    Just as a curiosity check Corporate Street Bridge in Manchester UK by Hodder Associates...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nevermind guys, couldn't do proper research (next time i won't go out all weekend), so decided to just go with a vierendeel girder from the "design of steel footbridges" by corus construction.

here's what i came up with:
    vierendeel girder frame (or however you say it), with a span of about 24 meters, resting on concrete beams between 2nd floors of each building, connecting a library and an auditorium/cafeteria. it's suppossed to add cover for people going between this 2 buildings from the 1st and 2nd floor since for the moments there's nothing to protect them from rain and the like. it has a couple of resting areas to each side in case someone decides to smoke a cigarate or just wants to sit outside.

Name:  Paso9.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  24.4 KB
    Name:  Paso7.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  29.5 KB
    Name:  Paso8.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  39.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Staying out all weekend leads to safe design decisions!

More risk factor next time!

The connecting member in the Petronas Towers was the first thing that came to mind... (ok, maybe the second... Catherine Zeta Jones in Entrapment was first.)

Good presentation and use of a resting/outside place on each end of it. It would have been interesting to have stretched the idea of covering the ground below it to a greater reality, or creating an offset, perhaps cantilevered resting area on both sides of the main suspended walk to create a more defined place underneath it? Lots you could do, but it's safe, it's simple, and it'll definitely fit any budget. Nice stuff, man!

Last edited by IanE; September 30th, 2008 at 12:26 AM.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ok. Here's some boring skatepark design I did recently for university. It sucks beacause I didn't have much time to properly finish it.

No sleep. Need more sleep :/

Name:  skatepark01.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  216.7 KB

Last edited by Farvus; September 30th, 2008 at 04:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Staying out all weekend leads to safe design decisions!

More risk factor next time!

The connecting member in the Petronas Towers was the first thing that came to mind... (ok, maybe the second... Catherine Zeta Jones in Entrapment was first.)

Good presentation and use of a resting/outside place on each end of it. It would have been interesting to have stretched the idea of covering the ground below it to a greater reality, or creating an offset, perhaps cantilevered resting area on both sides of the main suspended walk to create a more defined place underneath it? Lots you could do, but it's safe, it's simple, and it'll definitely fit any budget. Nice stuff, man!
    actually, i was gonna do a lot more remodeling of the area (since i knew none of my classmates would, which would be kind of my ace in the hole), but just ended up adding the brick benches you see there. i guess that if i hadn't decided to help my friend with her model (she has no idea of how to use Sketchup) i could have done a bigger and better work...

in any case, i'm content with what i did, since it got me 86/100

On another news
    i'm doing a town square these days, and i was wondering if any of you have experience in that field.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Muscari View Post
    On another news
    i'm doing a town square these days, and i was wondering if any of you have experience in that field.

Post WIP's and we can give you some advice. I've done some work on some Life Style Centers (Mall/Apartments/Business Suites), but I assume a town square is knid of a main street storefront kinda thing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    basically this is the place. have to design the whole round thingie area:

Name:  plantaplazaespaa.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  68.0 KB

i'd post some more images but they're a bit too heavy, maybe later.
    had an idea to put a big subterranean cafe/shop thingie, but my teacher said that i should drop the idea, so i'm now trying to come up with alternatives. only thing i've come up (since he wants us to make the place more pedestrian friendly) is to send some or all the streets underground, but i'm feeling that's a bit too ambitious. any ideas?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a really cool site. Plaza type environments are always wonderful. Going underground is a big thing to do, especially if your prof wants you to consider a budget in mind.

Immediately from looking at this site, with the 4 quadrants lush with trees, and the rest of the space being hardscape, it's hard to say how to form it into a pedestrian friendly space. Obviously going underground is out of the question cus prof says so... so why not go above the vehicular traffic and try something with suspension? Elevate your cafe over the traffic and above the trees, give the pedestrians nice piers to walk on through the canopy tops.

This project, purely based on the site, to me seems to require something of a light design, and very subtle, almost embedded into the site/trees.

Lookin' forward to seeing how you work with it!

I've got some stuff to post up tomorrow. Good to see this thread is getting some action!

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IanE I thought the same thing, if the streets can't go underground make the people go... overground [does the word exist? maybe it's "above the ground"...].
    You might take a look to Richard Roger's project for the Plaza de Toros in Barcelona, a huge platform above an open public space (formerly the plaza itself).

...Catherine Zeta Jones in Entrapment...
    LOL this is automatic when one thinks to Petronas Towers...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah yes, Rogers is a beautiful architect. His models alone are stunning...

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a really cool site. Plaza type environments are always wonderful. Going underground is a big thing to do, especially if your prof wants you to consider a budget in mind.

Immediately from looking at this site, with the 4 quadrants lush with trees, and the rest of the space being hardscape, it's hard to say how to form it into a pedestrian friendly space. Obviously going underground is out of the question cus prof says so... so why not go above the vehicular traffic and try something with suspension? Elevate your cafe over the traffic and above the trees, give the pedestrians nice piers to walk on through the canopy tops.

This project, purely based on the site, to me seems to require something of a light design, and very subtle, almost embedded into the site/trees.

Lookin' forward to seeing how you work with it!

I've got some stuff to post up tomorrow. Good to see this thread is getting some action!
    i like the pier idea, if i have time i'll try it out, see how it works in the space... sounds very interesting...

in any case here are some views of what i've been doing today.
    here's a basic view of how it is today:
    Name:  plazaespaa.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  22.5 KB

Here's what i'm working on. basically, sent one of the streets underground (prof. said i couldn't send pedestrians underground), the easiest ones and made the lanes at the side of the buildings bigger so cars can cross that way if needed. basically, i ended up with these 2 big half moons (35+ meters by 120+ meters) to just do stuff in them, with a lot less traffic, which means easier crossing for pedestrians. oh, and made the general shape more like eliptic for better traffic flow. and don't mind the buildings, i was just toyin around with them
    Name:  plazaespaarenovada1.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  20.4 KB
    Name:  plazaespaarenovada2.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  21.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Muscari!!!

Although sending the street underground is a really spontaneous idea that comes up to all of us, I'm affraid that i has many many disadvantages, as I discovered while trying to incorporate something like that in a project.

I hope my bad english can pass the message, If not, I'll try to illustrate some points with a sketch or 2....

First of all, keep in mind that the "slope" to go about 3-4metres down, can not be very steep, since it's for vehicles. that will leave you with a big, at least 15m long gap adjacent to the square, on each side, that is a big obstacle for pedestrians, and is bount to look ugly anyway.

More so, a circular public space like this, is no doubt a landmark for the area, not only for pedestrians, but for drivers too. I'd much more prefer to see something linking the pieces around the roundabout over the traffic, and maybe squeezing the roundabout to less vehicle lanes, than pushing a huge junction underground.

Or, since you have 2 rings one inside the other, I'd say close the inner one completely for vehicles, and widen the other, the one closer to the buildings, to include a parking lane and bicycle road, and let the whole ring function as a big ass roundabout, around the -now huge- square!

I like the idea of distorting the circular shape vry much though! Keep working on it, unfortunately making public space better for the people is more about steering cars out of the way, and that's annoying, to say the least. Specifically for a car-hater/fanatic cyclist as myself...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jester:i knokw it looks like something very impulsive, but it's about the best i've managed to do that my prof.'s has aproved. i've tried sending both vehicles and pedestrians above the ground, creating other routes and transforming the whole area into a pedestrian friendly place (no vehicles) and you're sugestion about closing one of the rings, all of 'em leave more problems than just passing one of the streets underground.

it's kind of a troublesome place, and i guess you'd have to live here to fully understand it D=

i don't fully understand how the subterranean pass is an obstacle for pedestrians. i've designed alternate lanes for both, vehicles and pedestrians, to make sure it's easy to pass through and around (can't quite explain it since english ain't my language either xP), maybe if can explain this to me with a couple of sketches.

i don't understand what you're trying to say about "squeezing the roundabout" thing =/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muscari:

Ok. Idea.

I think changing the overall compositional shape of the round-about would be a bad idea. Going from a perfect circle to an ellipse is going to leave it in a real halfway point that will either bring up the question "Why not just make it completely linear then if you're going to make it elliptical?" or the statement, "It was better as a circle..."

So why not send the street underground, the major pedestrian traffic above ground, and then have the enclosed ground level become a gathering space, more of a useable plaza type area, in which you can line the circle with boutiques, cafes, some green space... I think what you need to do is find a balanced and efficient medium between handing pedestrian traffic, vehicular traffic, and then ultimately making the space useable while still having it open from every angle. Though you'll still have to deal with the other street that you can't send underground, (otherwise you'd need an underground roundabout haha), but I say have it become the defining axis of the project, glorify the main street in a straight line through the roundabout, the other passing under it, perpendicularly, and then the 2 halves of the circle become plaza space with a bridge to each side and poof, not only have you assessed pedestrian travel, but also pedestrians who decide to inhabit the space for lunch, for a meeting, to walk their dog or just to sit down and sketch people while cars pass by...

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muscari:

Ok. Idea.

I think changing the overall compositional shape of the round-about would be a bad idea. Going from a perfect circle to an ellipse is going to leave it in a real halfway point that will either bring up the question "Why not just make it completely linear then if you're going to make it elliptical?" or the statement, "It was better as a circle..."

So why not send the street underground, the major pedestrian traffic above ground, and then have the enclosed ground level become a gathering space, more of a useable plaza type area, in which you can line the circle with boutiques, cafes, some green space... I think what you need to do is find a balanced and efficient medium between handing pedestrian traffic, vehicular traffic, and then ultimately making the space useable while still having it open from every angle. Though you'll still have to deal with the other street that you can't send underground, (otherwise you'd need an underground roundabout haha), but I say have it become the defining axis of the project, glorify the main street in a straight line through the roundabout, the other passing under it, perpendicularly, and then the 2 halves of the circle become plaza space with a bridge to each side and poof, not only have you assessed pedestrian travel, but also pedestrians who decide to inhabit the space for lunch, for a meeting, to walk their dog or just to sit down and sketch people while cars pass by...
    i guess i should havve mentioned this before, but, see that little thing in the middle? yeah, that's a monument that i can't change from position =/

so, i turned the elipse to make the vehicules flow a little faster than what they did with the roundabout. if i could turn the thing into a linear street, i would, believe me.

footbridges and the like are out of the question, prof. said no. see, in my country most people don't use them, for many reasons, some dumber than others, so i placed traffic lights that can be, how can i say, activate?, by pedestrians, in some key points.

i hope i don't sound too much like a prick about turning down your ideas guys, it's just that i've already tried a lot of things, and i'm just too restricted thanks to my profs. instructions. there are many good points though, and i'll probably use them when presenting my project.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah... yea can't move the monument... and no bridges? Come on, who doesn't like a bridge?!

Wow, you've got some really limiting restrictions for your project.

In that case the ellipse doesn't sound too bad... it just makes the monument completely unreachable and pointless since cars will be surrounding it, nobody can interact with it or admire it up close... that's just bad planning from the start.

Sounds like you're going to have to work hard to improve this place.

Is it coincidental that you're doing another street related project? Is that your focus for study, or just what the prof has lined up for you as of now?

I think your best bet is to go to the roundabout, walk all over it, experience it for yourself and see what you love about it, what you hate about it, what could make it better, and what's currently making it worse, and then you should have some really solid ideas.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, i wanted some nice footbridges in there, but no luck '_'

the monument can be reached actually. i've located various places in which the pedestrians can "trigger" the traffic lights, that way they can cross without going to the edges of the plaza (even though nobody can actually reach it today, unless you feel comfortable dodging cars).

the focus of this class is public space, urbanism in general, specially since i've already designed private spaces previously. i believe next semester i'll be designing a urbanization.

i've already walked around the place, but i just can't never get there when there's more traffic, so that might be a big fall for this project.
    and yeah, restrictions are a bitch D=

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude! Let's see...

Firstly, I do admit that not seing the place is a big enough reason for my opinion to be shaky... About sqeezing the roundabout, what I ment is modify it to less vehicle lanes, and provide the extra space to pedestrians!

And concerning the subterranean pass, I didn't suggest a movement problem, nothing to do with how well traffic is distributed, quite the contrary. Trusting your first hand experience of the area it could be the best thing to do to accomodate vehicles, and leave more space for pedestrians. The aesthetic result of that though, is very troublesome in my opinion... It leaves a very big gap, where the road dives downward to go under the square...
    What I was trying to point out, is that concidering the size of the existing junction, this is likely to cause a problem to the unity of the 2 sides of the road, since in it's lowest part, it will be something like 2 lanes wide and 3.5 meters deep. The fact that you ensure pedestrian and vehicle traffic doesn't compensate for the alienation a tunnel this big could cause between the 2 sides of a big avenue...

Off course, handling it right can produce a viable and pleasant environment none the less!!! I am having trouble finding a decent pic to explain things better, I have a place or 2 in Athens in mind though, where what you're trying to do was applied in a not so succesfull way... I hope I can take some pics one of these days, and post them to justify my preocupation with your solution!

Other than that, I really like the way you think things through, you seem to be taking some very carefull steps in the right direction, and I expect nothing less than you eventually clearing away any protest I make! Keep up the good work!!!
    here in Athens, cemester begins, and I am dreading the stuff I'll be putting myself through...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jester: squeezing the lans is not much of an option. both streets are secondary arteries, so the traffic flow there is big.

to be honest, i didn't evne think of how the pass would look, just how it would work. well, that brings some troubling thoughts in my mind. guess i should work on that. on the alieanation issue, well, i'm not really sure if it would be that way or not. guess some more deep thinking and field study could clear some doubts. guess i'll be respondin to those doubts in a couple of days xP

thanks for the vote of confidence man, now let's just hope my profs. doesn't tear apart my next review D=

oh, and i'm looking forward to critiquing some of your work ;D

on the other hand, i've been designing the, i guess i could call it, furniture. you know, benchs, cafe tables, kiosks/stands, street lights, trashcans/dumpsters and the general design of the place. here are some examples of the current design idea i have (don't have the inspirational pics at the moment, might post them later). Maybe you guys could help me with what kind of materials would have the kind of colors i have in theses things.

Name:  EjemploReticula.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  37.0 KB
    Name:  Kiosko2.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  24.6 KB
    Name:  Kiosko1.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  25.4 KB
    Name:  Banca2.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  18.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no no no, look at contemporary design, not old design

sorry for the harshnesh, but to many fresh students have classes in ancient architecture and forget to look at contemporary work when designing. These patterns you use are not good!

Gundersendesign
    My Sketchbook page [B]1 2
    Mentoring my Padawans
    Conceptart.org Gallery

- :: Bring Me That Horizon :: -
    Live the life you love, love the life you live

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ;_;

care to say, why do you think they're bad? i was looking torwards using a bit of mayan influence (since i live in guatemala and all) in the designs and ended up with that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.