Art: ::: The Architectural / Interior / Landscape Design Group ::: [08.01.10]
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: ::: The Architectural / Interior / Landscape Design Group ::: [08.01.10]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

::: The Architectural / Interior / Landscape Design Group ::: [08.01.10]

Post your ideas, concepts, cool videos, photos, projects for critiques, event information... anything and everything that has to do with designing the world we live in, put it in here! Share ideas and share secrets and let's start learning more outside of the studio and on a truly global scale! Yea!!

ORIGINAL POST - Ása and I were discussing how there are a handful of architecture and design majors we know of on here, and are looking to get a community for us going so that during classes we can get critiques and share information and learn even more together through CA and our external non-arch related endeavors as well as our design projects.

If you're interested, or have any ideas or suggestions, leave a message in here and we'll get this going!

NOTE: You don't have to be just an Architecture major! Environmental Designers, Industrial Designers, Terraformers/Landscape Designers, Interior Designers, Civil Engineers, working Architects, SketchUp Masters, Structural Concept Artists, Auto and Vehicle Designers... really anything immediately related to the built world, its interactions, and how we as people engage it are encouraged to get together and learn!

Perhaps by the time we get enough people, we could start our own group Design Sketchbook or Finished Section thread or something interesting like that to keep us all involved and connected.

I'll be compiling a list of people that show definite interest in this here so we can network and keep track of the group as it progresses! If you're 100% down, speak up!

In alpha order:

ÁsaB
    Crimsonstring
    dark eagle
    Farvus
    Ghost Valkyrie
    Gundersen
    IanE
    moroi
    Muscari
    oDaYWaLKeRo
    OTTA
    polygonrevelation
    revenebo
    Saurus
    Sundance
    TheJester
    xbrianx

Last edited by IanE; August 1st, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
    Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, like Ian said, we thought that'd be a nice idea for us members who're studying architecture. I've spotted quite a few here already

Obviously everyone else would be free to leave a crit or comment! In fact, I think that getting feedback from the concept art and illustration folks would be a great addition and give a fresh perspective to the design.

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm an industrial design major....it's kinda similar. :>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That works too! Environmental Designers, Civil Engineers, Interior Designers, Industrial Design... anyone involved with precision design and the involvement of people, space, the environment and so on are all welcome!

www.enmls.com

GhostValkyrie is offline The deep satisfaction of radical ends.. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've worked in Marine & Civili Engineering practice in the Navy for almost five years. Am I welcome as well?

I've also managed structural integrity, repairing machinery, pipe systems, blue prints, limited mechanical and structural drafting, etc.

I don't have my major, but I'm well on the way!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are most definitely welcome. I'll be compiling a list of people that are interesting in the original post as time goes by. Maybe by a couple weeks we can have our own group sketchbook or finally finished thread.

Do you have a sketchbook on here already? Personally, I'd love to see any work you have to show if it isn't all under NDA haha.

www.enmls.com

GhostValkyrie is offline The deep satisfaction of radical ends.. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a few images up in the gallery. Nothing spectacular. I only started digital arts recently, so I need a little more time to get sharp. I've been drawing since I was a toddler though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm, I've done freelance work on themed environment designs... not sure if that counts...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Architect signing up

Gundersendesign
    My Sketchbook page [B]1 2
    Mentoring my Padawans
    Conceptart.org Gallery

- :: Bring Me That Horizon :: -
    Live the life you love, love the life you live

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm on architecture major but after summer vacation it's going to be my last year and I'll just do my thesis project. That's why I wouldn't have much to share. To be honest I feel more comfortable when doing concept art so I'm more into that right now .
    I'll try to leave some crits though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GhostValkyrie: We aren't set out as an organization to judge! If you feel you have related work, then by all means get involved! We can learn from all forms of design and skill level.

Peter Coene: Says Environmental Designers at the top of the thread. Counts :]

Gundersen: Wicked awesome. I'm actually looking at Uni Edinburgh. Did you attend there? I only hear good things, and even better things about the location. So have you completed your schooling? Your portfolio is excellent. I applaud your style and sensibility with a twist of absurd. Just the way I like it.

Farvus: Architecture is concept art! I think you'd be a great addition to the group if you feel like dropping by every now and then and of course filling us in on your thesis work and any past experiences or advice you might have.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IanE: Thanks for nice comments. I am currently studying architecture in Edinburgh, on my 3rd year. Its a bit complicated to explain this but i am at Edinburgh College of Art, which is under Edinburgh University, but they both have an Architecture study. But thats the old way, this year they are merging the 1st year students into one study instead of two. But the one I am takeing is more related to Art then Technology I belive.

As a "concept artist" I have just drawn and painted for 1 year, so very very fresh!

Gundersendesign
    Mentoring my Padawans
    Conceptart.org Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IanE: Thanks for nice comments. I am currently studying architecture in Edinburgh, on my 3rd year. Its a bit complicated to explain this but i am at Edinburgh College of Art, which is under Edinburgh University, but they both have an Architecture study. But thats the old way, this year they are merging the 1st year students into one study instead of two. But the one I am takeing is more related to Art then Technology I belive.

As a "concept artist" I have just drawn and painted for 1 year, so very very fresh!

Gundersendesign
    Mentoring my Padawans
    Conceptart.org Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IanE - Thanks. I'll try to post if I have something valuable to share.

I don't fully agree here that architecture is concept art. Of course in both cases you're designing some stuff but as a job it looks completely different. To me concept art is much more connected with art and picturemaking while in architecture drawing is just tiny part of this whole thing.

dark eagle is offline i hatea the italino sterotypes ina da soc'ty Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I don't exactly have any finished works to show for this but I am interested in Design, Architecture and Environments. Yeah I tick all the right boxes.

But design is a bit vague, because it represents purpose not style/category and so on. By design you do mean auto-design don't you?

I'll sign up for this anyhow.

By the way. I was an architecht once then an interior designer(less work) then a fine artist, concept artist, auto-designer, now I'm on military vehcile/tank design. Life so sweet when your still a kid well kid-teen.

Last edited by dark eagle; August 20th, 2008 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sign me up. i have a box full of id drawings waiting to be scanned when i get back from vacation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Farvus View Post
    IanE - Thanks. I'll try to post if I have something valuable to share.

I don't fully agree here that architecture is concept art. Of course in both cases you're designing some stuff but as a job it looks completely different. To me concept art is much more connected with art and picturemaking while in architecture drawing is just tiny part of this whole thing.
    You clearly must take the technical side of architecture. Myself takeing the art path we where not allowed to use anything except Paint and paper on an architect competition. Was pretty funny. Dont restrict architecture so easily, is Antonio Saint`Elia not an architect? Only a monumemt was built to resemble one of his crazy sci-fi buildings, but he still did architecture.

I do agree that concept art can be seen differently, and feels very much as a different path. But who says you cannot take your architecture studies and move into the game industry designing architecture for games?

Gundersendesign
    Mentoring my Padawans
    Conceptart.org Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundersen View Post
    I do agree that concept art can be seen differently, and feels very much as a different path. But who says you cannot take your architecture studies and move into the game industry designing architecture for games?
    That's what I'm planning to do actually.

When it comes to regular architecture - it's not technical vs. artistic problem or being unable to create crazy sci-fi buildings. I just love Photoshop+tablet more than AutoCad+making phone calls all day.

Last edited by Farvus; August 20th, 2008 at 12:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gundersen & Farvus: Didn't they use an architect to design Assassin's Creed? Wasn't it Sparth? I don't know. I remember during the January workshop somebody on CA was working on Assassin's Creed, and they had a degree in architecture... I wanna say it was Sparth but I could be WAY off. Anyway, point is it's so easy to crossover. I studied arch 4 years in highschool, did a lot of competitions in the state and nation and it got me a film animation internship at Dreamworks, but things fell through, so it's extremely possibly to take it into another field, and probably pays better and is more rewarding than sitting in a firm, building models while you wait for your licensing test haha.

Gundersen: It's so interesting to see the various ways of learning arch. At my uni we only do analog design, nothing 3D, no CAD work for the first 2 years. We focus completely on the fundamentals and necessity of design, the reason why the building should exist, and why through traditional drafting. Depending on which professors you take really determines the amount of art relativity you get out of it. Luckily I have a very amazing professor for the next 3 semesters. I plan on getting very experimental once this new semester begins in a week.

Farvus: The production process does give some really different results between traditional architecture practices and the common concept art practices. Presentation is quite opposite I can imagine as where some cases everything is very mechanical, still, lifeless, more of a visual list of parts rather than a completed vision of movement and colour like concept art would provide. But that's the beauty of it all... there isn't any law that says we cannot combine the two, no reason to only rely on CAD and lineweights. This is something I plan on achieving with great skill in the coming years because I agree... I, and many architecture students, are way too talented to spend all day talking on a phone and wondering why AutoCAD won't print on the wireless plotter!

dark eagle: You are most encouraged to take part! Auto-design is extremely related as it is directly based upon the human relations within and around a vehicle. It's extremely expressive and most people don't see that. By design, I meant any process related to creating a visual representation of a man-made thing that directly involves human beings in the built world. Auto-Design fits this description well! Do you have a sketchbook set up on here already, or maybe a personal website I can look through? Put some links in your signature!

moroi: Awesome! How do you like SCAD? I asked for a neat little press kit from them a few nights ago. The Arch program there produces some interesting student work. I'll add you to the list

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IanE - You think in terms of presentation of project on paper. Finished building is your actual presentation of designing skills. You can use whatever you want to design a building but process in university projects look a bit different than process in regular job. I tasted some of it and I just feel like it's not my thing. But it doesn't mean that I don't like architecture itself.

dark eagle is offline i hatea the italino sterotypes ina da soc'ty Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right then. Thanks for getting me involved in something of such cailbre to, well to me. I'm currently studying tanks and I think I have found a way to make a new type of turret which would be at least 20% more effeicent then the ones currently available.

But obviosly to do so I must acknowledge the traits such machines which led to the loss of lives and avoid them repeating within my design. Therefore I have brought it upon myself to srudy the tanks from the start to the present to make sure my design will be as close to perfection I can go without being progbed by the relevant authorities.

And to do so I need some time and currently thats the only thing I'm concetrating on. Except on Monday, Tuesday, thursday and Saturday. Those are kept aside for whatever.

I'll get the current drawings up as soon as possible. But I'm afraid of some concept theifs. Is copyright still automatically given to authors on the web? Can't be to careful espeically because of the fact I can't afford lawyers to keep infringers off my shit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IanE- thanks for the add. i'm really enjoying my time here, i couldn't ask for better facilities, classmates or teachers. the architect students are on a different study track starting their second quarter (its a five year program). so i haven't seen much of them. lol all i know is they have lots and lots of work. i barely venture beyond my own building sometimes...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by IanE View Post
    Peter Coene: Says Environmental Designers at the top of the thread. Counts :]
    Well thats the rub, technically someone else was doing the designing, I was taking the designs and turning them into rendered tonal illustrations to show off to the clients. Granted, if I get this job that I'm interviewing for on Friday I'll probably be doing the designs as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    Well thats the rub, technically someone else was doing the designing, I was taking the designs and turning them into rendered tonal illustrations to show off to the clients. Granted, if I get this job that I'm interviewing for on Friday I'll probably be doing the designs as well.
    Ah, I see.

Well I hope you get the gig, man. That sounds like it would let you be a lot more expressive with the whole process.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see how many people are showing interest

So should we set this thing up, then? Sketchbook section? It'll always get a little lost there, though. How about either the Mentoring section or Comm.Activities?

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure yet. We should devise a definite plan and sort of outline what we wanna do with this group and how to involve everyone in a way that we can all share and learn as much as possible.

Let's start brainstorming some ideas for things we can do as a group to keep us active on at least a weekly basis, like having our own maybe Architecture of the Week, or activities, simple things we can do during the week without it getting in the way of our in-school projects. Maybe have somebody post an influential or interesting architect/firm every week.

Any other ideas?

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm curious, does "Designer" include Graphic Design?
    I'm going to be starting my core courses for GD in the future
    and if Graphic Design was included then I would be happy to join

It would be great because I've searched everywhere and there are no decent Graphic Design forums around
    They all seem filled with people who teach themselves a little photoshop and act like they know a lot about design/art
    I'm sick of seeing stupid gradient fills

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea if you ever whip up anything related to architecture, environments, or how people interact with the built world then definitely please contribute!

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maybe we could post a little bit about what we're currently working on in class? that way if we don't have time to do a ca project we can still show something...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh definitely, we should be sharing our in-class stuff just as much as our personal projects.

That way we can get critiques, learn from different techniques and methods, and be all around more aware of how everyone is learning and approaching the same ultimate goals.

www.enmls.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.