Applying to Florence Academy of Art

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello everyone, I'm going to be applying to Florence Academy of Art for their intensive drawing program. I hope this is the right place to post this, but I just wanted to share the five pieces that I am going to be sending with my application and wanted to know if you guys think that they are good pieces to send. Also do you think that it is appropriate to send work that is more fictitious? I also have more work on my website, if you guys see something better that I should be sending, let me know.

Thanks, if this kind of post is not allowed I apologize in advance

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pedz,

You chose a fine school to apply to. Wishing you much luck with your application!

I got accepted to Florence Academy of Art and Angel Academy of Art early this Spring (will be starting at Angels in few weeks – can’t wait!). I sent them photographs of sight-size charcoal drawings I had done from my schools plaster casts. I was also lucky to have some charcoal nudes I could sent them.

Are the two sculptures you posted 3D? Unfortunately I don't think the school accepts digital works. It’s not exactly their cup of tea.

Since the school is going for realism I'd show them drawings from life rather than abstract stuff. The two seated nudes look very good to me. Do you have more of these that you could perhaps use to replace one of your renderings? What’s the deadline for the application? If it’s not too much problem and you are somewhat familiar with the process of making a Bargue copy (there is plenty of info online), make a quick one and send it with your portfolio.

There is a thread where the Florentine ateliers are discussed. You should be able to find some info about the applying too.

Don’t worry too much about your portfolio. These schools aren’t hard to get in at all – it’s the fact that you have to finance it all that for most is the problem. Just send your application early and have the cash ready.

Perhaps there's something useful in all that.

Henna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much Henna really appreciate the help, and the heads up for the the digital stuff. The deadline is november 1st, I'm planning on going for the winter trimester. The second piece is a gesture drawing, and I have replaced the renders with 2 more life drawings.

I'm gonna try and do a Barque drawing and send one. Oh and I love your work, can't wait to see more from you during you studies.

Here are the two pieces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I sent in my application for the winter trimester, lots of prayers until I hear from them.......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I’m experiencing some problems with my PM’s. Not sure if the note got through so I hope you do not mind me replying here instead.

Florence Academy of Art e-mailed me within a week of the day I had sent my application to let me know my application was received. In that e-mail they will let you know when you should expect to know your standing in the program. My deadline was May 1st, and by the time of May 12th they e-mailed me I had been accepted to the Fall trimester.

If you are feeling unsure and eager to start your atelier studies, nothing is stopping you from sending your application to Angel Academy of Art as well.

I sent my applications to Angel Academy of Art and Florence Academy of Art the same day. Angel Academy of Art contacted me already the week after that my enrollment had been reviewed and accepted. At the time the quick answer was just the thing needed as it saved me from lot of worrying.

The syllabus at Angel's is similar to that of the Florence Academy of Art. Both start from copying Bargues, then moving to cast drawing, figure drawing, cast painting, still life painting, figure painting and portrait painting. If you do not like it there, nothing will to stop you from switching to FAA. My understanding is should you decide to switch, you do not have to start from scratch, but if you have completed lets say Bargues in an other, they will let you move straight to casts if your skills are up to par.

Best of luck with your application!

Henna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Henna for the quick reply, really appreciate it. You've made the process a lot easier for me. I'm actually applying to their location in Gothenburg, Sweden, because I have family there and can work there. Unfortunatly studying abroad is a financial challenge for me. I would have prefered to go to AAA all together if I could.

Mid november doesnt leave a lot of preperation room, I think I'm gonna apply to AAA aswell, just to keep the options open.

Thanks again

Members who have read this thread: 4