Thanks

New lifelike animation tech - Emily

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle4557935.ece

Better video, thanks newman =)

While it's still not perfect (the people behind the tech say that the line between what is real and what is rendered would not be blurred completely until 2020), it's still pretty dang impressive. It would be interesting to show this to someone without telling them what it is, then see if they notice it's animated (although it's somewhat helped by the low quality video).
    Last edited by Boolean; August 19th, 2008 at 12:42 PM.
    "You’re right you DO suck, now do something about it"

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm not as interested in technological advancements as I am in what they are used for. I'd like to see what kind of unique looks can be done with impressive technology. Getting closer to realism just defeats the purpose of realism itself, does it not?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The way her mouth moves still looks wrong, like she has braces.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Challie View Post
    I'm not as interested in technological advancements as I am in what they are used for. I'd like to see what kind of unique looks can be done with impressive technology.
    I agree. The whole time I was watching that I was thinking "So if this is just super-realistic rotoscope, why not just shoot the film and call it a day?" Though I'm sure there are a lot of great ways to apply it, it would be nice if I could see some examples.

Thanks
    It could make it's way to games but we can already achieve something similar with 1/1000000000th of the resources. I'd also be curious to see the raw data for these, before being polished...

Max Challie: Then dreaming realistic dreams has no purpose?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to egerie For This Useful Post:

Duq

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    Though I'm sure there are a lot of great ways to apply it, it would be nice if I could see some examples.
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film), Grand Theft Auto IV, Devil May Cry 4, Facial Lair, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs - Combined Assault and Fireteam Bravo 2, Bully, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, 24: The Game, Call of Duty 2, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, The Warriors, Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, The Getaway: Black Monday, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Boolean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolean View Post
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film), Grand Theft Auto IV, Devil May Cry 4, Facial Lair, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs - Combined Assault and Fireteam Bravo 2, Bully, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, 24: The Game, Call of Duty 2, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, The Warriors, Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, The Getaway: Black Monday, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

But still, all I saw in that film was fancy rotoscope. YES I know it can be applied to games, and yes, it sure is realistic and life-like, but I would have liked to see, I dunno, the camera move around her, certain features changed to make her look different etc. From what I got from that video, it looked like her position was a slave to the camera angle, and her appearance is totally dictated by how she appears in real life.

I'm not saying make her look like an orc while she jumps through hoops in slo-mo with a rotating camera angle, but, like I said, the video itself could have shown a bit more off.

But YES I get what you're saying

Thanks
    It may pass for quick scenes and shots, but extended shots like what we saw in that video it's obvious it's not real. The difference between real Emily and the CG was certainly noticeable. The mouth and the lighting/coloring especially stood out, but the facial expressions were also just a bit off. Still, it's cool that we can be so critical of this now, where 10 years ago this would have been absolutely stunning. In ten more years it probably will be nearly flawless.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    From what I got from that video, it looked like her position was a slave to the camera angle, and her appearance is totally dictated by how she appears in real life.
    I think you would find it very interesting (I know I did) to hear how their tech works, such as this video. The amazing thing about Image Metrics is how they capture the animation, where an actor can wear a camera for full movement or they can just sit in front of a camera on a tripod if they are just capturing simple actions. I don't know where the video went, but they had a promo a while back where it had the guy acting while an old man, a large warrior and a normal face were all being animated as he did expressions. I'll try and hunt it down later.

This video explains a little more about it. Fast forward to 2:15 to see some groovy stuff.

I agree the video could have shown more though, so I do get what you're saying ^_^

Thanks
    Your probably thinking of "alter ego" but thats different from what imagemetrics does. IM just shoots videos of people and does traditional hand key framing. So its kind of redundant unless your changing the CG part of it to be something else.

Thanks
    ^^

This was the old guy I was thinking of although they only have the pics. They explain in the article that the biggest advantage is they don't have to rely on keyframes, and that the animation data is all fully completed from the software of each shot, they just need to calibrate it to each model, whatever it happens to be, and the software gives it all the data it needs to animate the 3D model.

"Though this step is similar to keyframing, the difference is the animation starts out much closer to the final results and the animator is basically tweaking subtleties of the 3D performance resulting in a performance that is staggeringly realistic"

They even say on their website "There is no need for costly equipment or cumbersome keyframing.".

It sounds like the old way of mocapping something then using that as a basis for the keyframes is removed from this animation process, seemingly the same as the video you posted. The advantage of IM is that they don’t have to spend hours putting on markers over the persons face, allowing them to capture things like tongues and pupil movements.

I'm no expert on this though so I could be misunderstanding something.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    The thing that will always give it away is the eyes. She might be better than a Nexus 6, but the eyes still tell the story of an empty shell.

dark eagle is offline i hatea the italino sterotypes ina da soc'ty
    Thanks
    The fact that we are reverting to technology to get things done for us more and more worries me a lot, theres a reason why top-notch fiilm making is only available to pros because if it wasn't we'd have to watch youtube quality content without a storyline or anything of interest or amazment. i.e babies crawling accross floors and people having parties over completing some game.

It's the same reson most filmakers use real explosions in films, they just keep that sense of amazment that 3D renders would almost deifnetly lose out on. Thing is everyone would probably have accsess to it in a a while, so trying to fool everyone would only go on for a while until the stuff gets cheap and everyone eventually figures out how to do it.

Thanks
    I think we're always going to be able to tell we're not looking at a real human, no matter how realistic it gets.
    Art Blog | CA Sketchbook

True progress means matching the world to the vision in our heads.
    But we always change the vision instead.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Challie View Post
    egerie - why not use live film?
    Why do you want to use live film? Or better, why do you want to be dependant on live film and realism? Its not about archieving realism, its about adding to it in a believable way. Its what alot of the amazing artist on this forum do. They take the rules of realism, and add a fantasy layer to it, creating amazing environments, characters, etc.

Yes the movie shown isnt creative or blows you away, but well, they make the technology. Its up to the creative people to make mindblowing stuff with it.
    Last edited by Duq; August 20th, 2008 at 08:35 AM.
    "Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Mouth is off...better go back to the drawing desk !

Nah....it is interesting in a technological ay...now it only has to be interesting in an artistic way
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Feh.

The technology is just advanced mocap with a little animator's judgement call on the side.

Not that I can't see the charm in reviving the dead and enabling the occasional preggers actress the power to work. Mocap does have a place in the world, afterall, or it wouldn't be used.

Still, this Mocap + is hardly the animation revolution the PR engine is making it out to be. The nature of the technology is fundamentally a reflection of reality; limiting itself to human actors and trained animals making realistic motions. If people want to get creative and fantastic, they're going have to do as they've always done: Keyframe.

Thanks
    You guys have no idea how agreeably surprised I am to be surrounded by such knowledgeable fellows.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Forget films and games, has anybody else been struck by the political implications?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, I was going to say the empty, soulless, eyes are a great way to separate a 3d person from a real one.

But we are talking politicians here, so I guess we're pretty screwed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Forget films and games, has anybody else been struck by the political implications?
    Oh crap. They don't need to rely on homeless actors to play Bin Laden anymore!

Thanks
    Man, sorry but this is just creepy. Like a floating face, bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.