Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TEEN CHALLENGE #50: LTS (Final)

TEEN CHALLENGE # 50
    FINAL

-The final is going to be a 3 man match.

amaranth VS. evil sloth VS. ethan karnop

the judges will base their decisions on the basis of :
    1. idea (out of 5 )
    2. clarity of idea (out of 5)
    3. quality (out of 5 )
    4. style and technique (out of 5)

so 20 Points max.

Topic: We'll have 3 topics every round. You can choose one.

- "innocent"
    - "crushed"
    - "revenge"

The Rules:
    Please host your image on a remote image-hosting site instead of uploading it to the CA server. This makes it much easier to transfer it to the poll thread.

the deadline is 2nd of september (2 weeks)

good luck !!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so I just a rough speedy of my Idea for innocent and some thumbs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP for final design, going to model it in 3d so going to have to to a turn around

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
  • someone is definitely putting an effort towards the final piece

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wonder who dile_ is talking about ... hmmm ....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'm sure Ethan is also putting a lot of effort and so am I. All I know is that we've got a juggernaut in here and, at least IMO, I'm the biggest underdog of this round. I have nothing to lose but I'm going to charge in with my arms flinging and hope for the best.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,257 Times in 911 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    rooting for you, amaranth~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Woah Sloth that's awesome!!!! This is going to be so epic, I can feel it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, trying my hardest here

Ok so I got a crit that I over loaded the eye with too much detail,

Good thing too cause that side view too most of the day and it's not even finished, so I think I might cover up most of the clutter with armour plates or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so I'm beginning to model
    The plan is to only model the larger forms to make them read from a distance cause you won see the tiny circuitry or pipes from the shot I'm aiming at, so this should save time in modeling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Evil sloth's been working really hard on his entry. Making his last entry on teen challenge a super special one!~
    I honestly can't wait to see how his final piece looks.
    No doubt it will be EPIC.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, I'll like to thank the organizers and participants of this Teen Challenge. I think this competition certainly helped everyone improve aspects of their game including mine. I know I came into the Finals with one of the lower scores and I certainly think I am not the Top 3 skill-wise, but I'm here and I've tried my best for the last piece (for what it's worth).

I've attempted to play around with colours to create something more vibrant and elegant than my previous entries. I am not particularly happy on how it turned out and, looking back, I think I could have used a better idea. I do not think I'll be making a scratch on Evil_Sloth's work based on his process posts (and Ethan Karnopp's based on his previous rounds), though, I'm just glad I actually got this far and took this piece as further practice.

I have to post my final early because I'm moving tomorrow to live closer to my art school and I cannot guarantee I will have internet for the next few days. If I don't post this in the "Finals" thread which will probably be coming soon, I would appreciate it if somebody else posted this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As I said in the TC#52 I'm away for one week from now on. I'm excited what I'm going to see when I come back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @the amaranth : whoa !!! man , thats a great piece !!! i like it . you have stepped up as well man and improved too . hey but i hope you feel better coz ur getting at least the third position prize if not better . and i think you did deserve to go through man .

@evil_sloth : man cant wait to see ur final !!! finish ur entry quick , i dont like waiting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vibhas_virwani View Post
    @the amaranth : whoa !!! man , thats a great piece !!! i like it . you have stepped up as well man and improved too . hey but i hope you feel better coz ur getting at least the third position prize if not better . and i think you did deserve to go through man .
    Thanks for the encouragement. And of course, since I'm posting this, I no longer need assistance to post my work in the Finals thread (if it's going to be up) since my internet is working great in my new residence.

I do bear bad news though.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135664

One of our judges, Mike Corrierro, has been permabanned from CA.org. This was a huge surprise for me since his posts and work were very helpful for me and many others. I also appreciate him for taking the time to judge our Teen Challenge #50 works. If you are reading this, Mike, thanks for the help regardless of what happened.

But what happens now? Should a third judge be brought in? Do we continue this with only two judges?

• The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Chow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't think we can' still go with just two judges.
    Another one of those tie things might happen, like in the first round.
    We'll need to find a third judge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I could talk to Mike and get his scores, I have him on MSN and his e-mail, otherwise personally I don't care if we switch judges, just think it may be tedious.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ethan karnopp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well , i think we should wait till TLL gets back and then we both can decide that ?? you guys should carry on with your entries ... the deadline is still 2nd september so not too much time left on this one ....
    no entry might mean no prize at all (thats upto davi and magicgoo i guess ) so dont worry about the judges !!!
    good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sorry I wish I would have found more time to work on this but I've had lots of other shit going on, I dig amaranth's and hope to see sloth's soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arg I need 1 more day guys. Promise to post it tommorow!

The Amaranth, ethan karnopp: beautiful work guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally got it up to a standard i'm happy at.

The 3dmax file crashed so I just had to paint him

The big robot has just destoyed the city and is now resting in the middle of the building while the pilot innocently tries to find the perfect snowflake.

Firstly I'd like to thank Justin for letting me take his place, to vibhas_virwani and TLL for letting me compete and for every teen that has participated.
    I remember when these things first started and people saying it wouldn't last.
    Hah we showed them!

All bullshit aside I wouldn't have spent hundreds of hours doing these challenges if I didn't feel that you guys were worth spending it on.

Thank you dudes!

Last edited by Evil_Sloth; September 4th, 2008 at 01:42 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Evil_Sloth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
  • You should make way more of those long-spent-on pieces... looks very portfolio quality to me ;] Sloth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice entries guys, there has been some major effort put into this round. Thanks for the opportunity to judge... it's not an easy task assigning points to people’s hard work but I will try my best to be fair.
    Thumbnails and working drawings are an essential part to producing a good piece of artwork. However I will only be judging on what I can see in the final image. Unfortunately the criteria doesn’t allow points for showing thumbnails and idea development. If your thumbnail process has been successful, it will show in your final artwork allowing your illustration to convey what you set out to express ...without too much effort on the viewers behalf.

So here goes

Evil Sloth

While this is a great image, it doesn't convey innocence to me at all. Your explination makes this piece a little easier to understand what it is you are trying to say here... but it's just not that clear to me sorry. I quite like the first image you posted... maybe with a small girl in the robots hand showing the contrast between the two. Make sure you develop your idea first of all before developing the stuff that supports your idea. Your pallet is great and you have a well developed style.

1. idea/concept (2 / 5 )
    2. clarity of idea/execution (2 / 5)
    3. quality (4 / 5 )
    4. style and technique (4 / 5)

The Amaranth

Your entry reads easily and says innocence to me without question. The pallet and composition are also good. My only crit would be that while the idea is easy to read, it may be a little un-original. Try to develop your idea past what you would expect to see... without taking it too far.

1. idea/concept (3/ 5 )
    2. clarity of idea/execution (4 / 5)
    3. quality (4 / 5 )
    4. style and technique (3 / 5)

Ethan karnopp

It's a shame you have not developed your idea further, as with the right compostion this could read quite well. The POV you have chosen is a bad one. It makes her arm look huge which is the opposite of what you want when you're trying to make someone look sweet. I've attached an image showing how good composition can help an idea like this.

1. idea/concept (3/ 5 )
    2. clarity of idea/execution (2 / 5)
    3. quality (2 / 5 )
    4. style and technique (3/ 5)

Good luck! - Jez

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coldrum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here are dave palumbo's scores :

1. idea/concept (? / 5 )
    2. clarity of idea/execution (? / 5)
    3. quality (? / 5 )
    4. style and technique (? / 5)

The Amaranth 4,4,5,4

Ethan Karnopp 3,4,3,3

Evil_Sloth 4,4,4,4

good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When looking at your final, sloth, I first thought you changed your theme from innocent to crushed. Your first wip seemed to capture innocence much better than your final. Mostly because (in my opinion) there is no sign of destruction in your first wip and you can see the pilot in his hand. No one can argue with your craftsmanship though. Good job.

I agree with coldrum on ethan's entry, the angle is awkward and the arm does look a bit large. I'm sure not having enough time like he said had the most to do with it.

Amaranth I thought had a better grasp of the concept "innocence" soft colors soft brushes, a female in a dress, not to be sexist but has a natural feeling of innocence. "purity" or "freedom" might better describe the feel of this picture. Good stuff though.

I dont usually post but i've been watching these teen challenges on and off since i was 16. Maybe i'll take part in one sometime.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres what Mike Corriero says for the final round :

The Amaranth ( When keeping with a simple idea, where most of the composition and canvas is filled with a sky and environment, try to make the details within the environment both in brush strokes and elements...really stand out. The colors, shapes, textures, lighting and focal point can all be pushed much further. Pay attention to the difference in values between the foreground and background elements and how a certain time of day and lighting can affect the mood of an image such as this. Keep pushing yourself.
    1. idea ( 2 out of 5 ) Concept of idea and originality play a big part in standing out as an artist and having your work recognized and remembered. You have to push the conceptual idea of a topic to the extreme, even if it's something so simple as a one word challenge such as "Innocence". A word of advice for future illustration, not just regarding these thunderdomes, is to think what is the obvious answer or idea to a topic. Think about what most people will produce, what's considered generic, what has been done to death. Then throw all those ideas out the window and try to exceed and push your own idea outside the box, to become unique in both idea and execution.
    2. clarity of idea ( 3 out of 5)
    3. quality ( 3 out of 5 )
    4. style and technique ( 3 out of 5)

Ethan Karnopp ( I think you were already hard on yourself and I think you know where the flaws lay within this piece. With that said, I know you can bust out a beautiful image.. so just put the extra effort in whenever possible, in the future. The same thing concerning idea that was mentioned to Amaranth can be said here. Try to push for something outside the box, constantly push to be a step above the others when executing an original concept.)
    1. idea ( 2 out of 5 )
    2. clarity of idea ( 3 out of 5)
    3. quality ( 2 out of 5 ) I'll explain the main issue here was the color choices for the skin tones, and the issues with anatomy especially concerning a child's proportions and facial/bone structure. I think more time and reference would have really paid off here.
    4. style and technique ( 3 out of 5)

Evil_Sloth ( Great Work, and although it wasn't taken into account for your final image, I commend you on the amount of hard work and preliminary concepts and sketches that went into the making of the image).
    1. idea ( 3 out of 5 )
    2. clarity of idea (2 out of 5) I'm only making an exception to explain something here because I think it's the only score that needs any explanation. I read the idea, so that's why to an extent I understood how innocence comes into play here. However, the piece by itself doesn't convey the topic of message I think you were trying to portray. Your skill level for polishing images/quality and your technique is beautiful. If you can more clearly communicate in future images, the idea you're trying to convey to the viewer you'll really make a huge impact.
    3. quality ( 4 out of 5 )
    4. style and technique ( 5 out of 5)

Great job to everyone involved and Congrats to the Winner.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so i guess here are the final scores then ....
    evil_sloth 42)
    the amaranth : (42)
    ethan_karnop : (33)

mike : 1st - Evil_sloth , 2nd - the amaranth , 3rd -ethan karnop
    dave : 1st - the amaranth , 2nd - evil_sloth , 3rd - ethan karnop
    coldrum : 1st - the amaranth , 2nd - evil_sloth , 3rd - ethan karnop

so im guessing that the amaranth won it then , ill check ...

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.