Sprite Animation Weekly #5 - Cruisin'

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Sprite Animation Weekly #5 - Cruisin'

Dust yourselves off, we're on to another Monday. Since last week was focused on animation, this week will be more tailored to the non-animators.

Week 5 - Cruisin'
    The challenge this week is to make an automobile in motion. Technically you're just creating the illusion of movement, loopability is required this week. There are various ways to create the illusion of movement, mostly with the wheels, but also with lighting and bounce... that's up to you. The type of automobile is optional, it can be real or fantasy, historical or futuristic, whatever. The angle is also optional this week. No size limit.

Example borrowed from "http://www.metalslugsprites.net":

Have fun.

Other Notes
    Just wanted to add that I've been storing up a good number of future topics.. I'll be trying to vary the topic each week... characters, creatures, industrial/props, special effects, misc. I know they won't all be as active.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hrm, didn't know about this til i saw it in the RSS on my homepage, looks fun. i know designing sprites is an art all it's own, you know of any good sources on the net that help you design for a small format?

Thanks
    how specific is this? can we do any motorized ground vehicle with wheels? (i.e. trains, motorcycles)

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skvv View Post
    hrm, didn't know about this til i saw it in the RSS on my homepage, looks fun. i know designing sprites is an art all it's own, you know of any good sources on the net that help you design for a small format?
    Tsugomo wrote up a pretty nice tutorial about pixel work. To sum up sprite work in a little phrase, it's all about economy. You've got a limited amount of space to work with and a limited amount of colors to use, so every pixel matters and reusable colors are a big plus.

For example look at the truck from Metal Slug. The bouncing animation is basically a shift of a few pixels up and down. The colors used on the driver's face are the same as the shade color of that tarp strapped above the rear wheel and the rust on the truck. Also look at the detail they put into the driver, or rather lack of... many times there just isn't room to put in too much.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake View Post
    how specific is this? can we do any motorized ground vehicle with wheels? (i.e. trains, motorcycles)
    Sure, I just hope to see some interesting designs.

Thanks
    Here's my "preliminary" sprite. Actually the animation and everything is completely done, it's just that GIMP is being decidedly... gimp in it's compiling of my gif.

The GIMP's "optimize" option is pretty nifty and if anybody pulls this gif apart into it's individual frames they'll see how it's a wierd overlapping of different elements using combine frame progression instead of replace, which is pretty nifty I have to admit. However it didn't set my transparency at all and inflated the color palette to 32 colors (when I'm using only 4 colors!), so it's not transparent (thankfully my background color is the same as the forum here) and possibly quadruple the size it should be.

Anyhow I'm finding alternate gif compilers and I'll probably be posting a "fixed" version on Sunday, which in all actuality should look exactly the same except it'll be transparent and have a smaller file size.

Edit: A'ight, got my palette reduced and transparency added... but it turns out transparency is incompatable with the nifty optimizing stuff I mentioned earlier from the GIMP. So end result is the file size was doubled. Ah well, learn somethin' new every day.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Anid Maro; August 24th, 2008 at 08:56 PM.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    sorry I haven't been as up to this one, but I've been going through some stuff this week. I'll definitely post some stuff at least on sunday; probably on saturday.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Thanks
    Honk honk, etc. I wanted to do a better design, but oh well. Just getting something out.

Thanks
    this one was hard, and not quite as fun. but I did learn quite a bit from it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Members who have read this thread: 1