Sketchbook: Getting Started -- A Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Getting Started -- A Sketchbook

Hello! I figured since this is the first post of my "sketchbook" as well as the first post on this site, I should probably introduce myself. My names Rebecca, or Rae, from Texas. I'm an Animation major, nearly ready to graduate (thank the Gods), but still quite infatuated with the still, 2-d mediums. In fact, you might say its a rather torrid love affair much to the annoyance of my 3-d teachers.

I've been rather sheepish when thinking of joining this community, mostly due to its reputed hatred of anime, manga, and Deviantart in general, which happen to be three things I enjoy, albeit with some reservations. Of course, what's reputed isn't necessarily true, so I figured I'd give it a shot, after all it seems like people actually give creative criticism here which I am in desperate need of.

Have I made enough of an arse of myself yet? XD heh. Anyway, i picked out a couple sketches to start myself off with, annnd I'll go from here.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is that a Sumi-E style painting?
    Off topic: It just so happens that I'm a flash animator who had to teach himself with online tutorials.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    superb u should keep on doing what you are doing. 2d is a compulsion for 3d animation. i think u r doing just perfect, your work is good keep doing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its a fake Sumi-E, in a fashion-- the fish was drawn in my sketchbook, then inked in Flash and coloured in Photoshop I've been wanting to try a hand at Sumi-E, though, it looks like a load of fun.

And wow, self taught flash @.@ That's a hard thing to do, dude, kudos on that! I fight with Flash... a lot. >.>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @M_A_A: Thank you!

Just a preview of some of the rather simplistic models I'm using in a current class project.. and you can kind of see the ref I drew in the bg there XD LOVING maya, holy god this program rocks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I still have trouble with Flash in the sound department (I'm still learning how to get it right), but I got the animation part right. As for your 3D model, it may not be up to par with other 3d modelers, but it's sufficient nonetheless.

My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Work. Reminds me of Tattoo flash (the last one). The first one looks like she is in a shop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start? Do you have any final animations to show? Being the lover of pixar that I am. CG animation rocks. Your first images are very nice Keep up with those. Would love to see more. I personally think deviant art is quite a nice place, although I prefer it here on CA. People seem alot more critical & grown up about their advice. I see nothing wrong with anime or manga either, again I do think people seem to want to do that style a little too much. I find manga looks quite amateur & childish & it should definatly be left to the Japanese.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Fighting Seraph: The animation is the trickiest part of flash, from my experience, so kudos that you managed that! Once you get the basic sound controls down it goes like clockwork. And yeh, my models are sorely lacking. -nods- its a problem I'm still working on, and one of my weakest points.

@Resin: Thank you! What is Tattoo Flash?

@Oakseed: None online; most of my stronger animation work is in hand-drawn 2-d done with the "old fashioned" lunchbox system. At current its all stored on VHS and I haven't the opportunity to transfer it over. DA has its uses, mostly as a gallery, and you're right that people here do seem a good deal more mature when it comes to taking (and giving) solid advice, though if you wade beneath the surface of DA you'll find a great many artists there as well who walk the same path. Its just that DA has its fair share of those who think of art as little more than a hobby and they thrive on that community, where such things seem to be fairly ...hmm.. discouraged here on CA.

The Anime/manga issue is just a sore topic that I'm sick of hearing people fuss about, really. Technically, it cannot be anime OR manga if it comes from any place other than Japan, because the definitions of those are respectively "Animation from Japan" and "sequential art style, or comics, from japan." At the same time, there are also an extreme amount of people who practice American Comic Book Style who seem to get a lot more respect than any western person who practices a more eastern form. Both are very restrictive and highly over used styles, but somehow one is more socially acceptable to the serious art community than the other. -shrugs- of course, this is all opinion based upon the attitudes of professionals I've had direct contact with, so the view point may be a little skewed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tattoo Flash, nothing to do with Adobe, just art tattooists put on the walls for people to choose from. The Asian theme and the sepia colored background is what reminded me of it. They are basiclly just imitating the Sumi-E painting style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -nods- that sounds interesting! thanks for the info

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    told myself i'd post something new everyday, so here's the current WIP on that same homework assignment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bah, i missed yesterday! I'll have to scan in that page of doodles later. For now, I'm adding in this quick one-hour sketch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The final front cover of the dustcover we did for Modeling 3. Its pretty much finished, as I don't plan to touch it again until Portfolio 1 at least, but I don't feel its up to par with the stuff in the "finally finished" area so I figured this was the best place to put it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketches i did very quickly in class, mostly of my classmates and some persons on a vid we were watching. Two obviously anime-inspired images, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an idea, why not mix various Japanese and Stateside styles together?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.