Sketchbook: Bleu's SB - updated Nov 7 - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Bleu's SB - updated Nov 7

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The chalk highlights are really helping to give your drawings more life.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some really nice work! I like your observational sketches a lot - the ones from the Botanical gardens are great.

Art Blog!
    My Oven Tea

The scrawny white sketchbook ring
    OISHIINIKU CAKEYPIGDOG MYA RES D-BAKER ASHAB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy new year! Don't you disappear on us yet so soon. Bring us the artwork!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.

Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil l

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not disappearing. Been in a bit of an art slump and avoiding CA lately.

*is shamed*

The good news is, my local life drawing group has resumed it's activity for the year and I have absolutely no valid excuse (ie: no major assessment) not to go each week!

Here's the first batch. Less rusty than I feared, but still plenty of room for improvement everywhere.

Attachment 562715
    Attachment 562716
    Attachment 562717
    Attachment 562718

Last edited by bleupencil; June 29th, 2011 at 03:00 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo bleu, these life drawing kick major arse! i really like how you capture the form with simple clean lines. it was well worth the wait for ur latest post!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil l D.C. l jharford

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep going with those life drawing sessions! they pay off big time. good to see you posting again.

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooookay, so that was sorta a false restart. I got sick (still don't know what with, possibly Glandular Fever if the damn bloodtests would yield some result other than "equivocal"!). Anyway, I quite literally couldn't draw for a few weeks, but here's a smattering of stuff as I'm trying to get a routine going again. Hope there are no more interruptions!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo bleu u back, hope u feeling better! a week off sounds good but i'm a loser and can't step away from the pens or wacom => but looks like u've had some good results from stepping away. i really enjoyed this page of thumbs http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1233991422 so much great movement and posture, great job on these!

ooh i see ur doing the CHOW for this week, i know hard to resist with this weeks character theme! ur motivat'n me to maybe try it this week

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

9. The Following User Says Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update! Still surprised by how you draw live people so fast. (I'm so terribly slow ). This one http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1233991551 has cool potential for a finished piece (plz)! Looking good!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff!
    I've been in a very graphic/cartoonish kind of mood recently. Hooked on Shane Glines' stuff.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bleupencil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow ..........There are very good sketchs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really enjoy your character work (the guy on rollerblades, the little fairy). The colors are simple, the lines are simple. It is wonder basic character creation. i would like to see a bunch of characters together in an environment!

help me become better!

deviant art

http://aliciad33.deviantart.com/

personal website

http://portfolio.colum.edu/aliciadisantis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...7&d=1231758109

every time i come here and see cartoony figures, i almost forget you can do realistic figure drawing this well too. so many good lines in there, you're very good at it... have you ever tried animating people of a less cutsey calibur? it would be nice to see some mold breaking, and you have the figure knowledge

Last edited by grenappels; February 23rd, 2009 at 09:02 PM.
    SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

a game i made

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Blue, nice updates... glad your back and missed you. Are you still doing animation??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mohd al mahdi Cheers!

aliciad33 Yeah, I gotta work on that 'environment' and composition thing. Just been having fun drawing folks lately. Thanks.

Gren Thanks. It's not really on my list of priorities. Less cutesy possibly means more work, haha! I guess it depends on the story/characters, could try it one day.

Kelly Cheers. I've been picking at some stuff, but mainly just taking a break after the end of the project last November. Will be getting into 3D this semester though, as of Monday.

--

I gotta break out of this single-character-bland-background thing I've been doing lately, but it's just been too much fun. Less play, more work!

Attachment 604581
    Yesterday I learned of the silly term "Orcabetty" and thus became inspired to draw my character, Sour, in some Rockabilly type fashion.

Last edited by bleupencil; June 29th, 2011 at 02:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love your linework! the lifedrawings are awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sup bleu, awesome updates! really like the illustrative figures and even though it's cartoony i think it's really refreshing to see as most SB's try to come up with moody or hyper realistic pieces

something about your characters has a lot of personality, movement and rhythm, great non static poses!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil[COLOR="White"]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Josef and Snootchy.

---

Just a quick upload. Not terribly enthused about tonight's life drawing session. It's been a long day.

Attachment 607677
    Attachment 607678
    Attachment 607679

I go to bed now =_=

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not sure if u should be so negative about last fig drwng session, because i feel that u've captured the most important information which is what the figure's pose was, and there's still a lot of great movement in the figures u capture, it's like ur very true to ur subject =>

I think using diff mediums such as charcoal would really help, since you could use it so many different ways, whether its a fine line, flat stroke or even softening of the edge by gradating the values; it would help with pushing the forms of the figure (but then again i personally tend to emphasize on the line sketch over rendering since a good line sketch can read just as well as a fully rendered sketch)

great job on the last fig drawing session!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Orcabetty? LOL So much comedy in our SSG what the hell? Very entertaining. I love this style:http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1235395696. Very nice movement in the bleu and rouge pencil sketches in that post. Working the opposing curves idea very well. Those figure drawings are very fluid. In that last drawing I like how you've described the torso to pelvic region twist as well as the gestural quality on the leg supporting the weight of the figure.

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funny you should say that about the twist, Eon, cos I usually have a lot of trouble drawing twists in the torso for some reason. Thanks both of you for the encouragement.

Here's some doodleblah. I think I was technically trying to study without actually studying anything. Rather testing my memory and perception of what weight is like. Besides, fat ppl are fun to draw and skinny folks are overrated. And yes, I did go to see Watchmen last night and yes I dug Dr. Manhattan so he popped up in a sketch, albeit doesn't really look like him and he's all crooked n' shit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh lucky duck, how was the movie?!

I really like the girl drawn in charcoal on the top right of ur last post, b/c the figure has a nice silhouette from the surrounding block in and also the face has a little bit of constructive anatomy showing through, great job!

Only crit here is to do more constructive anatomy once you have the gesture captured, go on top and do a more constructive approach so that the forms are reading well (which will tighten the pose a bit). It's like Glen Vilppu's approach in his Drawing Manual where he starts off with loose gestural lines and then works more on the volume and forms as the drawing progresses.

As for turns and twist, again Glen Vilppu is the man when it comes to that, he has these great exercise for understanding form and movement. I think he is originally an animator just like urself.

Keep 'em great sketches coming!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bleu! Good to see some more stuff from you! Like snootchy mentioned before, you really captured the forms of the figures you sketched.

Fuck yeah! Dr. Manhattan! I fuckin loved Watchmen. I'm totally getting the graphic novel. What did you think? Glad it inspired you to draw.

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your Manhattan looks younger and even more Zen like. I was going to re-read the novel before giving the movie a look then I remembered how thick it was...lol but by the time I get to see the movie that shouldn't be an issue.

Nice sketches I like the graphic portrait best, emotive and energetic. Good hands throughout the post as well.

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Snootchy & Eon, cheers. You seen Watchmen yet? If not, dooo it!
    Peetaer, yeah I enjoyed it mostly, though there were some parts that made me butt my head against my empty drink bottle.

Attachment 619472
    Attachment 619466 Attachment 619467
    I guess I'm trying to go somewhere with this... but I got a bad habit of ruining things when I try to clean them up, which is why I don't do it often. ...... *cough*shittyexcuse*cough*
    Attachment 619470
    Random trying to play with colour in PS, using the colour slider thing (ala Lin Ran's tut). Needs more practice yeah.

Also slowly slowly slowly working on this.
    Attachment 619474

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Afterthought... should I be putting a nudity warning in this thread title or what? I think I take it for granted that it doesn't bother other folks just like it doesn't bother me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hay there bleupencil! fellow animator ^^
    nah, you make animations, your an animator :p that's how it works.
    I really like those pencil tests. its a bit of a shame I see no storyboards to crit first though. maybe you'd already had them critted?
    anyway, we're trying to start up a stb circle here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=142985&page=3
    I'm thinking maybe a thread just for stb's somewhere would be good too..
    about the animation itself. did you ever hear of the 12 animation principels?
    (I think there's some more myself, but ok..)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_basi...s_of_animation
    anyway, one of m is show changes big. some shots you have in there, like facial closeups, I dont really read well as a change in expression. there's a bit short for that too I guess, but also you need to 'pass through' your end point to return to it, just to make it clearer.
    anyway, real nice stuff here; the sketches too. didnt know you could link a youtube movie either. I'm gonna do that sometime..

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another fine cartoony design in CA. Good study attitude and something really different from the others are animations! How cool is that? Love it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Bluepencil, Wow, cool updates, your back on the SB and rocki'n that pencil, Hi!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo Bleu, cool updates!

I think the reason why when cleaning up lines is because it looks like your tracing it, and that is the case but I think it helps to think of it as a guide but not strictly needed to be followed. Where all those things we think about when doing a sketch; such as line weight, thickness, softness still applies even to a tighter sketch and helps to give it that visual interest.

I like the skin tone, good starting point for a base tone, think u should keep pushing it, maybe with some ref. Saw that color tutorial, did u get how he was using the slider, still baffles me?! Personally I always liked the color picker in Painter or in PS when u pushing the color box, because you just have to pick the right color family u want, then decide how saturated the color is and the value (well this could be done in the undersketch/paint so less to think about)

Luv ur animations, ur going to have to teach me some of those basic prinicples or good starting point for animation someday!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.