Help! Nior Painting Assistance Needed!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help! Nior Painting Assistance Needed!

Hey, long time no post. Okay, I'm in need of assistance, critique, and what-have you for a piece I and my mate have been fiddling with for a couple of days now. He approached me with a very appealing idea for a painting, something I myself couldn't really pass up!

We've been talking about Film Nior beforehand, and he suggested a Xeno, from the ALIEN movies, sitting nonchalantly atop a building, a desolate and ruined city-scape below, boarded up windows, at the beginnings of dawn.

Now, my usual style is some-what.. Cartoonish. But, I wanted to try and take a more realistic approach with this one. I probably bit off a lot more then I could chew, and it's really.. FAR outside my comfort zone, but in order to grow as an artist, ya need to shove yourself out of your comfort zone to try new things, yeah?

Anyway, onto the art.

The bricks of the building, the cement, windows, window panes, what type of Shadow the Xeno would be casting on the rooftop - I'm in serious need of help, hints, critique of any kind. It would all be much appreciated!

(For some reason, I can't gain any information from photos.. I don't know what it is, but photo references do absolutely nothing for me in terms of gathering an understanding of how light works or plays on a certain object. It just seems like a difficult concept to grasp for me!)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This may be an annoying answer, but you'll never Get answers from photos, however you can get answers by DRAWING from photos. Find photos with strong lighting, any subject, and draw them. A LOT. You'll learn, I promise.

Your alien won't look scary unless we're looking up at him. It's psychological, we just can't feel intimidated by something when we're looking down at it. That also solves your shadow problem.

Colors are all the same in the early morning. Paint very close to monochrome with lots of light highlights along the edges of things to give them shape and pull them out of the dark.

Name:  alien.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  49.5 KB

Gilead Artist on Facebook and Twitter
    website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my, thank you SO much! Originally I wasn't going for a "creepy" atmosphere, more of a surreal type of gig. Which is why I did that..

.. But then it could've just as easily been a mistake of positioning on my part! Again, thank you so much for your input. :3 I'll tell my mate I'm going to be re-working it for a more surreal/scary atmosphere then what is presented here.

I'll be sure to draw from photos whenever possible. Seriously; I've been sticking to the same subject material for far too long. I know, I probably sound like a broken record, but honestly, thank you.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.