My WIPs - New pic 16/09/08

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My WIPs - New pic 16/09/08

mmm, so, new user here...Nice to meet you all. Quick introduction here, I'm a college student majoring in culinary arts, who also have a hobby in drawing..

Here's a WIP of my first self-imposed challenges (to draw at least a pic a wekk since I'm just beginning to (learn to) draw again after a few months of resting and/or procrastinating)

The lineart's still really rough (and thick, to say the least) though.

I'm still lacking in lots of skill, so comments & critiques are sincerely accepted
    Name:  1-wip.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  189.8 KB

Last edited by Trefle; September 16th, 2008 at 04:28 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Naw, don't be embarrassed. This site is amazing, isn't it?

My art school was next to a culinary school; our refectory was staffed by students from that school. It was not unusual for us to eat a lunch of lobster paste surrounded by ice swans.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, absolutely amazing xD

That's nice! Unfortunately mine isn't so...the school's small and quite far, and here we doesn't really embrace the cafeteria and/or culinary arts as much as cheap, plenty, and acceptable hawker foods. Hence the reason why I learned culinary arts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *raises thread from the grave*

umm...so, after weeks of contemplation-procrastination-getting on with college, I...well, have done some update with this pic ^^;
    changed the whole background, changed the hair and some little details, and *hopefully* tried to make her face...looking down as its supposed to be.

C&C are definitely accepted (after all, those lovely tutorials are MANY..)

here it is ! ^^
    Name:  1-wip2.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  265.9 KB

Last edited by Trefle; August 27th, 2008 at 05:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oo, much better.

Her arms look quite long, and uncomfortable. I just tried doing the pose in a mirror and by default I had my upper arms vertical and my forearms slanted inwards (so the opposite of what you have). If I forced myself to emulate the pose you've drawn, my shoulders rolled inward uncomfortably. Plus my boobs got in the way, as would hers. If you don't have a mirror, get one; it's very useful to have.

The face is coming along nicely, considering you chose a difficult angle. You might find this reference useful.

If your only goal is to be as good as Scroobius Pip, then as soon as you achieve that your standards'll slip.
    But if your only goal is always to improve on yourself, then the quest is never over no matter how big your wealth.

-- Dan le Sac & Scroobius Pip, 'Fixed'

My website - contains photography, illustration, and Creative Commons textures you're free to use in your own images!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Todd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uh, yeah, after I tried it myself....it hurts.
    and by different angle, do you mean I should rework this from different angle? Or maybe turning her head upwards so it would look better on this angle? I'm sorry, I didn't really get what you mean (forgive my English T_T)

and..Holy cow! O_O that's a really nice reference
    thanks! ^^ I'll work on it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'Difficult', not 'different'. I meant that you chose a hard angle to draw, but you still managed to make it look nice.

If your only goal is to be as good as Scroobius Pip, then as soon as you achieve that your standards'll slip.
    But if your only goal is always to improve on yourself, then the quest is never over no matter how big your wealth.

-- Dan le Sac & Scroobius Pip, 'Fixed'

My website - contains photography, illustration, and Creative Commons textures you're free to use in your own images!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Todd View Post
    'Difficult', not 'different'. I meant that you chose a hard angle to draw, but you still managed to make it look nice.
    Oops. Sorry, my fault T__T that's what staying up late will do for someone T_T
    thanks a lot for the compliment then ^^~ I'm still fixing the pic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kay, back again.

Done some retouching, not quite clean though. ENded up adding some details and recolor the coat...
    here it is! Hopefully I'm doing it better x_X

Name:  1-wip3.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  284.5 KB
    Does this bg looked better than the previous? This one's brighter, but..I don't know. something just seemed odd.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    errr, another sketch here:
    Name:  2-wip.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  165.7 KB

it's a quick sketch of my old character -- I guess I'm feeling a little bit nostalgic today...

C&C are greatly accepted~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whats up buddy! No need to worry, you'll improve quickly here, just take in all the critiques and put it into your work. I would like to see some life drawings in here and anatomy studies in here as well. The anatomy studies will help out with your proportion issues and the life drawings will help you out with the drawing the body in different poses and what not. I would like you to post more often too. Just so we can help you improve quickly. Good luck with college. If you have any questions feel free to ask any of the team or you can also critique others work around CA. Critique their work, and most of the time, they'll will critique your work.
    Keep at it. Also try to post in the sketchbook forum. It'll be easier there since there are more people who visit that forum and you'll definitely receive more C&C there.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey trefle! nice to meet another fellow of our young sketchbook group!
    (btw: what are culinary arts? is that afancy word for cooking or something else?)

your stuff looks nice and soft! because you have only two pieces posted yet i find it difficult to say something general. both girls look a bit similar (age/figure) - perhaps you could broaden your horizont a bit? and of course what envisor said: anatomy studies! they can be real fun, too! especially when you see that they improve your other artworks too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Trefle, nice to meet you. As a part of SSG50 I look forward to seeing more from you. I recomend you do alot of anatomy studies like Envisor suggested. Or atleast do sketches from life, look at yourself in the mirror and start drawing, draw a potatoe, a foot, hand, ball, w/e anything always helps, random things tend to teach what the imagination can not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    XD Thanks for the comments, guys
    and thanks for the suggestions! I'll try to do life drawing, although for anatomy studies...well, I guess some reading should be done first ^^;;;

and silly me for not remembering there's an actual sketchbook forum -_-; oh well, I'll go there and make a thread too ^^

@katinki : well, you could say that. I personally think that culinary arts is like cooking with more efficiency... something like that ^^
    both girls were similar, yes, I realized that XD;; maybe because the first one did kind of took some ideas (or I were thinking of her unconsciously) from the second character.

but yes, I'll definitely draw more!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.