Simple questions

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Simple questions

When concept artists refer to their experience at school in ID, are they referring to Industrial or Interior design? (yes, I know, silly question, but I'm not sure).

I'm about to head off to school, I'm planning to begin school at a university, where I'll take the first year or two, before transferring to a real art school (thats the plan anyway). Is this a good idea to save money? Taking english/math at a university first?

The next question is; given the choice of a degree with general Art or ID, which would be a better foundation for a concept artist (my guess is Art, but I hear a lot of concept artists talk about how valuable their time in ID was, although that might be something different than I'm thinking of)?

And finally there are so many stupid classes required for this university art degree: print making, introduction to ceramics, relief prints, etc... should I even bother taking this crap, as I do not image a real school would require that (or do they?)?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    1.Industrial design.
    2.Taking care of your gen ed classes and then transferring to an art school is something many people do.
    3.Most concept artists with a degree have it in illustration. If you're more interested in buildings and vehicles than characters and creatures, then ID might be better.
    4. Whether those classes are crap or not depends totally on the school/instructor. They could be incredibly useful, they could be a total waste of time. This is true of art schools as well.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take a look at the 4 year Diploma Program in Concept Art for Animation and Video Games at Max The Mutt (in Toronto). We are very affordable. Also check out our thread to read what students are saying about the school.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.