Sketchbook: My name is Blue Canary, one note spelled L-I-T-E

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My name is Blue Canary, one note spelled L-I-T-E

After a review from one of my professors, I realized how much further I need to go before I can even hope to compete in the job market. My goals are clearer, now, and I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to get ahead.

I figure a new start needs a new sketchbook, so here I go. My old one can be found here, for the curious.

I'm starting off with an old CHOW entry I decided to revisit. It's Diamond, from CHOW #104, Four Brothers.

Name:  diamond_wip_03.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  126.9 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Senira; July 25th, 2010 at 11:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my latest WIP for the Diamond pic. I'll have some studies to post a little later today as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My professor suggested that to loosen up my poses I should pick a good anatomy book and do some studies from it. For lack of better books at the moment, I've chosen Burne Hogarth's Drawing Dynamic Hands. I'll start doing studies from a proper anatomy book when I return home to my collection.

Day 1
    Name:  dyhands_study_02.jpg
Views: 3604
Size:  188.4 KB
    Day 2
    Name:  dyhands_study_01.jpg
Views: 3554
Size:  288.6 KB
    Day 3
    Name:  dyhands_study_03.jpg
Views: 3546
Size:  236.3 KB

And here's the latest WIP for the Diamond image.
    Name:  diamond_wip_05.jpg
Views: 3469
Size:  176.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey good job keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my Hogarth page for the day. I've only been doing these since Friday and already I realize how horrible I am at judging negative space. It's something I'll work on while doing these studies.

I also decided to do some light shape constructions before I start copying the page. Doing straight contours didn't seem like it would be that helpful to me since I'm trying to get a better sense of form.

I may add a Diamond WIP later, depending on time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice you can never stop doing studdies.. keep it up dont stop now thanks for also stopping by my sb!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    reject-D Thanks for the encouragement!

Hogarth for the day and a colored version of a lineart I grabbed from the coloring book thread; I forgot what page it was on, otherwise I'd tell you the artist's name. I'm trying to learn how to do the painterly stroke in Photostop thing that so many folks on CA are great at. I know I could just switch to Painter, but I don't want to tie myself to one software package, especially one that's not as standard in the industry.

For this first attempt I tried to use big strokes and no blending. The color was applied entirely with color and overlay layers.

If anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them.

Last edited by Senira; August 20th, 2008 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that you for the advice!!
    and WOW your anatomy is AMAZING!!
    i really need to practice that....anyway
    GREAT JOB!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice painting sketches, and nice definite lines on the hogarth studies.
    I find your illustrations comical

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why'd you start over? your last sketchbook looks awesome. anyways, the stuff you've got here are awesome. the hogarth studies are some of the cleanest i've seen on here. totally sick! the dude with the horns and the big eye is coming along nicely (do you plan on adding more is it just a doodle?).

fuck yeah, i can't wait to see more of your work.

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow i really like ur stuff iv heard talk of an older sketch book and im dissapointed that i missed it but new beginnings are always fun. mabey if you did some reeally short 10- 30 sec gesture drawings would loosen your style but not that i think u necissarly need it but keep the studies up.

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    akiro--Thanks!

Radio24--I've decided that I prefer a bit of levity in my work vs. doing dark fantasy/sci-fi stuff. But I'm going to try and do both, since my job will certainly call for it.

Peetar--I've had my old SB thread for a while, and I updated it infrequently. I figured it was time for a fresh start. As for the horn guy, he isn't mine. I got him from the the Coloring Book thread.

Demo--Thanks! I really need to get more life drawing in; I'll be leaving school soon so I have to find some sessions to join at home. Gestures really do help you loosen up your poses.

Here's what I've been working on the last few days. The scanners at school are out and my camera isn't that fabulous, so I haven't been able to scan my dailies. I'll see if I can do so tonight.

A Diamond update.

I hated the folds on his shirt before, so I tried fixing them. They look less suck-ish, but I feel like they're still wrong. On the other hand, I don't want to put much detail into them, because I want his face and cloak to be the focal points of the image. I have so much trouble painting crisp cotton folds, and painting white fabric in general. Does anyone have any tips for this?

Name:  diamond_wip_06.jpg
Views: 3038
Size:  182.0 KB

Here are some assignments from the Peer Project thread. They are, in order, assignment#1 (four spheres of diff. materials and lighting) assignment#2 (a b/w sphere with a colored replica of it) and a little side experiment I did for #2 involving the reflection of color onto shiny surfaces. Shiny things give me a HUGE amount of trouble, metal particularly, so I want to focus on that for a while.

Name:  sphere_studies.jpg
Views: 2976
Size:  76.4 KB
    Name:  colored_sphere_studies.jpg
Views: 2941
Size:  56.0 KB
    Name:  color_sphere_studyreflect.jpg
Views: 2916
Size:  54.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the illustrations and the poses

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IT's great to see someone with a lighter style. All of those warriors and assassin babes can get tiring after awhile. Your anatomy sketches are looking pretty solid. Keep it up. I'm sure you'll be ready for the job market in no time.

Sketchbook.
    DeviantArt.
    Follow Me On Tumblr!

“Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall.” -Oliver Goldsmith

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later. " -Mitch Hedberg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fleetfox Thanks!

alleluia Thanks!

I saw someone in one of the other threads doing skin-textured ball studies. I decided to give it a go, with bleh results.

I think I've learned something, though. The balls I did look very desaturated and murky in comparison to the examples I saw in a tutorial. I think that the skin only goes into gray shades in darkness; otherwise, there's always a touch of color in the shadows. To counter that, though, you'd have to make the skin more saturated, and I'd always thought that the skin had to be in the 30-40% saturation range to make it seem natural.

I could be wrong, though. Anyone have any advice?

Name:  skinballs_01.jpg
Views: 2879
Size:  49.9 KB

EDIT: Added a color study I did today. I used a screenshot from the batman movie.
    Name:  batman_light_study.jpg
Views: 2833
Size:  86.6 KB

Last edited by Senira; August 25th, 2008 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice anatomy studies! I like how you're analysing hogarth and not just copying him (lesson I'll have to apply myself). And yeah, lighter stuff is refreshing.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.

Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil l

Thanks
    Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Its nice that you made a remake to an old character(i mean the old chow), and the progress is obvious i think.I also took a quick look at your old sketchbook and it seemed to be going really good(anyway its not bad to start a new one, i also had an old sketchbook)
    Keep up all your studies, and try to understand how anatomy works not only how it seems to be.You are very good so keep up
    Thnx for stopping by my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your anatomy -and colorstudies are amazing!! Nothing else... just great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW!!! You're marks make the lines look so uniform! It really helps create a mood in your images, you also have a VERY nice sense of color! I'll be waiting for more!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eon--Thank you!
    Kingkostas--Thanks!
    Nele Ooms--Thank you!
    Copperfire--Thanks! The line uniformity is due mostly to my painstaking slowness when drawing the lines in the first place. I'm going to try and put some line weight into my later studies. First I need to learn to stop pressing so hard on my paper.

I'm not gonna lie, I started slacking on the Hogarth studies. I could use finals as an excuse, but I won't. If I start missing studies for a good reason, then I'll start missing them for bad ones.

So, that said, I'm getting back on track. I decided to try doing a few studies in pen so that I'd stop being so fiddly with my lines.

Name:  hoghands_05.jpg
Views: 2784
Size:  241.5 KB

Here's what was SUPPOSED to be a speedpainting; it ended up taking me about two hours because I changed my mind so much about what to put in the background. The vague trees that are in there now were pretty much me giving up on the background entirely.

I wanted to experiment with "spotlight" style lighting, as the sun would have when shining through the canopy. I suppose I should have dappled it with shadows for more realism; it's something I'll have to toy with in another study.

Name:  freeform_forest_082708.jpg
Views: 2747
Size:  91.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your mixture of hard and soft angles in the Hogarth studies. It looks like you occassionally incorporate this style into your characters.. Maybe you can push it into your environments as well?

My sketchbook is here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like this sb. especially all the anatomy, it's very interesting.

i'd love to see even more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice works.I think you need some more contrast in your last piece(enviroment)
    Keep up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook. I love your style, your characters are nicely fluid. Keep up the good work.

'I'll have your money by the end of the month'

Sketchbookery http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=135577

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    softocean--Thanks for the tip! I'm going to start doing more "top of my head" background studies, just to get a feel for them. I feel seriously crippled on the backgrounds front, so it's a problem I need to solve.

thrilafrommanila-- Thank you!
    kingkostas--Thank you!
    SpitSega-- Thank you!

I've been having a horrible time with the Smuggler Chow from last week. I had it in mind to try echoing Pascal Campion's style, but I ended up with several variations of a horrible mess. I decided to ditch that one for now and focus on personal works. I still want to try my hand at a looser, lighter style however, since I've taken an interest in children's book illustration.

Here were some of my (many) failed versions of the smuggler. I actually kind of like the second one, mostly because Painter's bamboo pen turned out to be so much fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice style! regardless of how cartoony and simplified your images are, they have a good sense of depth and form. That can be a really hard thing to pull off.

===========
    my sketchbook (full o' dust & cobwebs)

my web & print design portfolio site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for posting on my sketchbook (I've been working and not posting here ... I'm updating things soon)
    I really like your anatomy studies. Your hands/fingers are a bit off but the muscles and arm poses are absolutely great.
    I love the first guy. I just want to pinch his cheeks! (Although he looks like he might not appreciate that!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    andyhunt--Thanks!
    reneeisorym--Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking about skipping ahead in the book a bit so that I can get more hand studies in. Hands and feet are a big weakness for me.

Here's a WIP of my latest image. I began this for the Divine Prophecy thing in the challenge section. My idea was that these mice find the container holding some prophetic thing or the other and listen to it in awe, not realizing that one member of their party is plotting their demise.

I'm trying to come up with a color/value scheme that leads the eye from the girl, to the mouse behind the chalice, to the sneaky looking mouse on the left, then down to the cockroach hanging onto the table. I flipped the image as an experiment; I'm not sure if I like the composition better this way or not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice composition .I would like to see it finished
    see ya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kingkostas--Thanks!

Here's my latest WIP for the prophecy image. I fiddled with the composition more, and I'm a bit happier with that. I'm not sure if I like how the lighting is turning out, however. I'm going to start a thread over in the WIP section and see if I can get some thoughts on the matter.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3