The Iron Man
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Iron Man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Iron Man

Hello

Ok this is almost finished but I didnt feel it was appropriate to place it into the Wip section. It could do with a good battering.
    One thing to please take note of is that I Have been working on another computer. It doesnt possess a flatscreen so the contrast and brightness is upped slightly on this screen. I atleast hope everyone sees this how I see it now

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting image, reminds me of The Iron Giant.

I think you have a nice painterly quality to your strokes, keep that up, it's always nice to retain that even while going digital.

A few suggestions, though:

- The biggest thing that stands out to me is the composition. It's very ... flat. The iron man is in the middle, with not much to support that so it looks quite bland.

- There is more detail and contrast on his right knee (and also those big black shapes near the bottom), so it's kind of where my eye wants to go to. It's also kind of uninteresting... a robot knee? Unfortunately I'm also very inexperienced in composition so I don't know exactly how you could direct the viewer's eyes toward the 'action' (the head and the munching), but I know it can be done.

- I think the big black shapes are supposed to be trains, but I think you could push this train thing further. Where's the tracks/rails? The people staring up in wonderment/fear at this robot thing. If it's in a junkyard, where's the junk? Or the atmosphere that depicts the junk.

- Something about his right hand is off... a little. It's a very humanized hand so I immediately think it should work the way human hands do... but at the moment, it looks broken at the wrist.

- Something about the way things scale is weird. Like, the big black chunks of train would be incredibly huge and the chunk of train in his mouth would have to be very small compared to them. Check your perspective.

This is all I can think of! Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with DDream about the composition and my mind immediately lept to power lines... creative use of them could lead the eye up more and fill in some of the emptiness... dunno.

Anyway, fun drawing.. I love the rusty texture.

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is fun! I likes it.

Couple of things. There looks like there's something in his right eye. I think its the thing he's eating, but it look wrong that it becomes part of his eye.

The landscape looks a little fake. Google some landscapes and use one as the basis to repaint your background... that will add just enough reality to make the robot even more believable.

kev

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah ha! Thanks for the comments everyone!

Seems like my composition has been failing me again. Hopefully with a few more tweaks I should be able to lead the eye up. Im glad everyone noticed these things, It can be difficult to keep an open mind when you work on a piece for a long time. You sort of get used to it.

Thanks again!

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.