EOW 91 Isolation Level 5 POLL!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: EOW 91 Isolation level 5

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • xezor

12 19.35%
  • Vyse

1 1.61%
  • revenebo

1 1.61%
  • trashy

6 9.68%
  • relic

0 0%
  • hamorhage

0 0%
  • K-bot

3 4.84%
  • thescala

1 1.61%
  • lunarman

0 0%
  • jfwalls

5 8.06%
  • artiphats

0 0%
  • smuli

0 0%
  • OS2008

18 29.03%
  • reklas

13 20.97%
  • monotony

2 3.23%
    Thanks

EOW 91 Isolation Level 5 POLL!

EOW 91 Isolation level 5

REQUIRED
    open to interpretation

DUE August 16

good job all on the last round only one person forgot to Outside host his/her icon

NO description required, say what you need to say visually.

Brief: No brief

thoughts to ponder

why is it isolated, or under isolation
    what are the other levels

FOLLOW THE TOPIC.

POST YOUR FINAL IN THE HERE THREAD.

SAVE YOUR FILES IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT.
    EOW##_Nickname
    example: "EOW#100_Chaosrocks.jpg"

PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC

example from CHOW

(you can add CA logo, etc).

Add an icon to you final post
    150 pixels either direction
    PLEASE OUTSIDE HOST THE ICON
    k thx

Last edited by chaosrocks; August 17th, 2008 at 11:04 PM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    Made it in time!
    Here´s my entry for this round:

Last edited by Vyse; August 15th, 2008 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks
    In Isolation Level 5 the echoes of your own cries will drive you insane...

(looks like I've lost track of EoW numbers and numbered this 92, I hope it's not a problem...)

Thanks

Thanks

Last edited by Relic; August 15th, 2008 at 03:24 AM.

Thanks
    I guess I'll submit mine too

Studytime! Crunching down on Loomis and Figure Drawing
    My creative blog
    Figure Studies & Life drawing yay!

Thanks

Thanks

Last edited by thescala; August 15th, 2008 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks

Talking

Here's my final. Thanks for viewing!

Some wait for its return. The return of Mech UN Peacekeepers! Hahahaha

Thanks

Thanks

Last edited by artiphats; August 16th, 2008 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

My website: JustinMessner.com

Thanks

Thanks
    first vote! and that goes to os2008.

Xezor1324 - beautiful piece. The more work I see from you the more I respect your talent and skill. The image seems to be missing something though, as it seems weird that he is sitting in that big empty room. I believe he is meditating, and if I am correct than I think a very small thing like having him sit on a prayer rug or having him in the center of some candles would help tell the story. The reflection work is great, even though I am not sure that the reflections would work like that in real life from the angle of the viewer- maybe I am wrong. Thinking about it makes me want to set up a quick scene in 3D and see where the reflections fall . Also, I think this is one of the pieces that could have done without the number. overall great job, I was probably being a bit nit-picky, but it was all I could think of to push you further.

vyse - you can obviously paint. I would have loved to see this in a more dramatic angle. The image reads well enough but there should have been at least a 1-point perspective grid set up. I can imagine this in 2 or 3 point perspective and I am loving the vision. Something I am have been told to do in my own pieces is imagine myself in the scene. Where would you want to be standing in order to really get the best shot if you were really in that environment holding a camera? Put yourself there, and paint that shot. Easier said than done of course, at least for me.

revenebo - I almost voted for you. I almost feel sorry for that poor guy. Great rendering as I have come to expect from you, I love the details of the bed and toilet, and the pose of the character. Too many great entries this round, it was hard to vote for just one. I think this is another piece that could have possibly done without the 5, but thats just my opinion. Thanks for the eye-candy, not sure what else I can crit on this one.

Trashy - again, a piece I really wanted to vote for. Now on this one the number 5 works, at least for me. Great mood and lighting. Love the texture. I must admit I havent seen too many episodes of LOST, but this reminds me of that show. I hope that guy gets out of there! Man, hard to crit this one as I really like it, maybe that fish-eye shot would work better if the room was a little bigger, or if we were not looking straight into it. Hard to say, I would ask if you did thumbnails of several angles beforehand or just went with the first idea. If no thumbnails, then there is my crit. Every piece can benefit from starting out with a few thumbs to set up the shot, but actually I suspect you know this already. Just reaching for something worthwhile to say, actually.

relic - hard to tell whats going on to be honest. I know I am looking down into the scene and a figure is the center of attention, but the environent itself leaves much to be desired. You can definitely have a piece of concept art that is rough and sketchy (see Hideyoshi's quicky in the main thread), but it still has to be immediatly readable. I think more time on it is really all you need. Figure out which parts should be sharper and more detailed and keep working through it. I had to redo my own piece at least twice until it read the way I wanted.

hamorhage - maybe its just me but my eyes are drawn to the top of the image, not the center where the lights are on the door. I think there are at least 3 ideas you are trying to tie together here. I would be interested to see a version without the skyscrapers, as they do not appear to be in scale with the rest of the image. Look at the lights and the door compared to the building on the immediate right, the building is way too small. Losing the buildings would also add the sense of isolation here. Also, the values can be played with the move the eye to the center. I actually like the smoke stack thing, but it should be more secondary and right now it grabs my attention too much.

k-bot - oohhh sweet image. Looks like a prison environment where things have gotten out of hand, or I do see the biohazard symbols so maybe this is a huge lab, where some expirament has escaped. I love looking at these kinds of images and trying to fill in the story. I love the angle, love the use of warm and cool colors against the grays, and I love that 5 is at the bottom not the top. Not too much to crit, could have gotten my vote but there are a few others that are just more over the top this round. The simplicity of the image works for it in a good way, but I think the atmosphere and depth of some other pieces make them stand out a little more, thats really the big difference to me.

thescala - I see the light in the building, my problem is the sun. It not only competes for attention, it just about steals it all. The time of day you chose to render is beautiful, but I dont think it works for this image. Thats about the best thing I have to offer here. Nice architecture too, especially on the 2 tallest buildings to the left.

lunarman - I'm a sucker for bright colors, to the point that I always have to force myself to tone my own way down. Again I love reading into these things, I think thats why I like enviros better than COWS and CHOWS. There is always a story in these places and I want to go there. UN Mech Peacekeepers huh? Too cool. OK so what can I say, well this piece appears to be in 1-point perspective, but I suspect you didnt actually set up a grid. I think a grid would have allowed you to space things a little better and give the piece more depth. Also you have skylights to the upper left and it appears to be bright outside, but no sun rays or any light coming in through the top glass. There should be more shadows and I think adding those in would also help give it depth. Thats really all thats missing, IMO. Good job man.

jfwalls - almost my vote, almost! I think you are a couple levels above me in terms of skill, so my short term goal is to get to that point. The piece is great and the only reason I didnt vote for it is because at least one other piece has more of a "WOW" factor, while simultaneously hitting the topis dead on. Several pieces here read as a little generic and I try to vote for pieces where the artist tried to think outside the box as much as possible. I almost feel bad saying it because the lighting, perspective, and mood here are spot on, and I love the tilted shot as well. My number 2 pick this round, excellent work.

smuli - most original concept for this round I think. So much so that it almost doesnt read as isolated, LOL. But I would give you extra points for it anyway. Seriously though I would guess that is the guys house burning and now he is at the top of the hill and its only a matter of time before those armies find him. Well, thats what I get from it at least. I think the rendering is really good here and I only wish there was a more defined light source casting shadows from the pillars. I think if those shadows and lit areas were dragged across the floor there it would really make the image pop. Thats my best crit, good job otherwise.

os2008 - you great bastard I almost hate voting for people like you. The concept is awesome and the rendering is wonderful. great atmosphere and I think what really put it over the top are the red laser beams. That pulls the whole thing together and turns it into a believable place for me. Its those little deatils that can make such a difference. Hope to see more from you in the future, or if I am going up against you maybe not, lol.

reklas - whoa, unexpected piece at the last minute! Everything here is great except one thing for me; the isolated character I assume is in the center cage but the lighting draws me to the figures on the left. I think it would work better if the lighting in those 2 areas was switched. Otherwise this looks like a game I would LOVE to play and I really have no other crits. My number 3 this round, I think.

monotony - this one looke like a fun, spooky game too. crits would be that the area to the right should be a little darker, and those hanging cables look out of place. Cables are one of those things that can be overused, and I say this knowing I have them in my own piece this round. I really had to think about whether or not they went with the piece, and I finally decided they did for me. They fit with the steel structure I have, otherwise I dont think I would have used them at all. For yours, however, it is indoors and nothing really destroyed, nor do I see any other signs of industrial elements for them to go with. You chose a difficult angle to render, good job taking on that challenge. I think the perspective is a bit off though, especially when I look at the bottom of the upper stair case. Actually most of the lines look like they are correct, but that one throws it all off.

OK wow that was a lot to say. Please take it all as positive criticism, I hope you will all be just as harsh with me, as it is my goal to push myself and be pushed as far as I can, and maybe push a few of you along with me (even those of you who are already ahead of me)

-Ray

Last edited by artiphats; August 18th, 2008 at 02:56 AM.

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to artiphats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    artiphats, thanks for your gentle words =)
    You really took your time to give everyone here a good feedback, very nice, i like that!
    Yeah, another perspective (and more effort) would have lift this image up, obviously.... well, it kinda started as sketch that went at some point in a wrong direction. Looking at it now feels like i painted it the whole time only at half of its size, now it seems to 'huge' and the details aren´t like i have them in mind. But well, it was only a 2h work and i wasn´t really inspired/enthusiastic...... but now i´ll stop my excuses =P

I like yours really much as well! The structures and the robot in the bg are really good. I just don´t like the colorful sphere that much, like i told you before i think. A monochromatic blue would be more benefitial, in my opinion. Still, this looks better that the older versions, good job too....!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Vyse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    artiphats thank you very much for taking your time commenting every entry, I wish I had time to give some feedback on others' entries but I barely have time to complete mine and leave some "I like it/I don't like it" kind of comment.
    Being your second/third choice after os2008 is a great honour considering the quality of other works.

I still don't know who to vote for...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to revenebo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Indeed,

you are one cool dude artiphats for leaving all the comments for the entries. Thanks man for the kind words and advice. You guys all did great! Great round and great work all around!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Trashy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey guys no problem about the comments, I'm definitely not the first to do it. I have made the decision that I want art to be a big part of my life again, and get to a level where I can do it to make a living. As long as I am around these parts, please push me with your comments and critiques, and in turn I will do my best to push you all too. We gots to stick together, ya know?

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback artiphats. Yeah you're right, I need to make some lighting adjustments to make the image a bit more successful. Along with the cage, I think the background should probably be brighter too, and the 'mountains' in the back lightened to increase depth since they're basically the same as the middleground. How do you "say thanks for the useful post"? because I'd like to do that. (EDIT: never mind, found it. ...do you have to have a certain number of posts for the 'thanks' button to show up? I swear that it wasn't there earlier.)

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on mine if you feel like critiquing it. ...or from the people who have voted for it, why you thought it was vote worthy/what is making it successful in your eyes.

Last edited by REKLAS; August 20th, 2008 at 08:59 AM.
    My website: JustinMessner.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.